Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steve Yun posted:

Are trace amounts enough to affect someone with celiac’s?

Rule of thumb is no more than 20 parts per million of gluten is safe for people with celiac disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Bagheera posted:

https://imgur.com/ldT2aWz

I'm having some trouble posting images. The link goes to an image of steel cut oats at my local Publix.
Bob's Red Mill sells "Gluten Free" steel cut oats, alongside their regular steel cut oats. I thought oats don't have gluten in the first place?
Also the price for the gluten free oats is 2/3 more for some reason.

mystes posted:

I think you are correct that oats don't have gluten but they are apparently commonly cross contaminated in shipping and processing so the difference is probably that they are specially shipped and processed separately from other grains to avoid that.

"Gluten-Free" is actually a defined statement under FDA regulations, meaning those manufacturers are adhering to specific standards and practices to guarantee their product is, in fact, gluten free.

"The FDA posted:

Protecting the public health of consumers with food allergies and conditions like celiac disease is a high priority for the FDA. On August 2, 2013, the FDA issued a final rule defining “gluten-free” for food labeling, which helps consumers, especially those living with celiac disease, be confident that items labeled “gluten-free” meet a defined standard for gluten content. On August 12, 2020, the FDA issued a final rule to establish compliance requirements for fermented and hydrolyzed foods, or foods that contain fermented or hydrolyzed ingredients, bearing the “gluten-free” claim. Since publishing the gluten-free labeling regulations and guidances, we continue to conduct outreach to food manufacturers to help ensure compliance with the requirements that apply to products labeled as “gluten-free.”

In short, Bob's Red Mill produces gluten free steel cut oats labelled as such, and are passing those production/packaging costs on to the consumer. That doesn't mean their regular steel cut oats aren't gluten free, simply that there are no guarantees. I trust that specific food manufacturer more than most - roughly a decade before he retired, he transferred ownership of the company to the employees via an ESOP. Not to mention, every product I've bought from them has been solid, quality-wise.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 15, 2024

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Where is the gluten in Oatly oat milk coming from?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Torquemada posted:

Where is the gluten in Oatly oat milk coming from?

Packaging/processing, almost certainly. I'm not familiar with them but other products are probably manufactured or packaged at the same facilities that aren't gluten free, and cross contamination is possible. They can't guarantee it's gluten free as a result, without a thorough and expensive cleaning and certification each time.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I failed at lactofermenting some wild garlic and it's now just very briny with no sign of activity. I know actual garlic is a funny one for food safety, but does anyone have any idea if I'm going to kill myself and my husband by whacking the briny leaves and flowerbuds in some pasta or something?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You sorta need the acid from the lactoferment to kill botulism.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if the ph is good, you're good. if it's not, you're not

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

"Gluten-Free" is actually a defined statement under FDA regulations, meaning those manufacturers are adhering to specific standards and practices to guarantee their product is, in fact, gluten free.
Sure but what does that have to do with what I said?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm trying to make homemade raviolos but the dough likes to go into the machine (I have one of those handcrank machines) in an "uneven" way and started to shift towards one of the sides and bunch up on itself, how do I prevent this? Is it just skill?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If your machine is good (Marcato Atlas) then yes, the issue is caused by incorrect steering or uneven thickness going in + steering unable to fix it. You’ll get the knack soon, though, imo

e: it really helps if you have 3 hands, at least while learning

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Anne Whateley posted:

If your machine is good (Marcato Atlas) then yes, the issue is caused by incorrect steering or uneven thickness going in + steering unable to fix it. You’ll get the knack soon, though, imo

e: it really helps if you have 3 hands, at least while learning

Yeah especially when I need a hand to hold the machine down as I'm cranking it. Maybe I can use a clamp to fix it in place because I suspect its when I let go to focus on cranking+holding it still where its maybe the most uneven.

I dunno how good it is, might need a new one because the first time I tried to make keto pasta was a failure with stuff getting stuck in it and I gave up using it for three years.

Now I have oat fibre and a bit more experience and so far I'm having better luck and a better recipe so its coming out better, but maybe I hosed up trying to clean it and maybe that's also effecting it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah especially when I need a hand to hold the machine down as I'm cranking it. Maybe I can use a clamp to fix it in place because I suspect its when I let go to focus on cranking+holding it
:heysexy:

A clamp would definitely help matters - mine came with one and I think I would struggle to reasonably use it solo without a clamp.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hauki posted:

:heysexy:

A clamp would definitely help matters - mine came with one and I think I would struggle to reasonably use it solo without a clamp.

I think maybe mine did as well but I have no idea where it is now!

Anyways, my Raviolo's:

Hopefully they don't explode when I start boiling them.

e: Raviolo Update: Didn't explode. But slightly undercooked, I was paranoid that if I overboiled them they would turn mush. But were alright and edible.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 15, 2024

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Did you let your dough rest?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Question:

I quite enjoy making curry with the Golden Curry roux blocks. To date, I've always made it with low sodium chicken broth and boneless skinless chicken thighs. (also, carrots, onions, bell peppers, garlic, ginger, sometimes mushrooms)

Now, I'd like to try using beef. I assume stew beef would be best for this. Should I then switch to using beef stock? I know sometimes I use chicken stock even in dishes containing other meats, and I'm wondering if using beef stock would be too strong a flavor?

Also, any suggestions for other fun things to add, veggie wise? I love the onion/peppers/carrots combo, but I'm open to trying new stuff.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Annath posted:

Question:

I quite enjoy making curry with the Golden Curry roux blocks. To date, I've always made it with low sodium chicken broth and boneless skinless chicken thighs. (also, carrots, onions, bell peppers, garlic, ginger, sometimes mushrooms)

Now, I'd like to try using beef. I assume stew beef would be best for this. Should I then switch to using beef stock? I know sometimes I use chicken stock even in dishes containing other meats, and I'm wondering if using beef stock would be too strong a flavor?

Also, any suggestions for other fun things to add, veggie wise? I love the onion/peppers/carrots combo, but I'm open to trying new stuff.

I'd use beef stock, yeah. Try it with sweet potatoes instead of carrots. Or parsnips

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Soul Dentist posted:

I'd use beef stock, yeah. Try it with sweet potatoes instead of carrots. Or parsnips

Gotcha.

I'd never considered either of those before. I really like parsnips in stews and such, so I might try that. Not sure about sweet potatoes, they're kind of ingrained in my brain as associated with butter and cinnamon lol.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Did you let your dough rest?

Yeah but I probably made a mistake in putting the dough in the fridge after it was done resting uncovered.

I think to make it a bit less effort next time I'll go for something more like dumpling/perogies and just fold/pinch over the wrapping like a sealed taco. A Baozi is basically a ravioli right?

I attempted to make keto donuts but couldn't be arsed to put them in the donut tray and made actually good cookies instead.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Annath posted:

Question:

Beef stock will be good, but it will definitely be a major flavor difference. It will definitely be A Beef Curry. If you want pretty much the same curry, but with beef, stick with the chicken broth.

As for other stuff to put in it, pretty much all root veg are great suggestions. We always do a hard boiled egg or two, quartered. The flavor works great, adds yolky richness, and extra protein. With the beef version you’re doing, I’d throw some frozen peas in right at the end to provide a little freshness.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Annath posted:

Gotcha.

I'd never considered either of those before. I really like parsnips in stews and such, so I might try that. Not sure about sweet potatoes, they're kind of ingrained in my brain as associated with butter and cinnamon lol.

I have some good news about the ingredients in curry roux blocks

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Human Tornada posted:

I have some good news about the ingredients in curry roux blocks

Ok yeah but you know what I mean. They may contain butter and cinnamon, but they don't taste like a cinnamon roll, which is how I grew up eating sweet potatoes.

That and whatever you call "a bunch of yams in syrup topped with melted marshmallows" that my grandma always made.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am making Mac and cheese tonight, and my daughter has recently become a vegetarian. We often have delicious fried lardons in our Mac and cheese, and she has asked if I can find a vegetarian alternative that’s not fake bacon. Any ideas?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

I am making Mac and cheese tonight, and my daughter has recently become a vegetarian. We often have delicious fried lardons in our Mac and cheese, and she has asked if I can find a vegetarian alternative that’s not fake bacon. Any ideas?

Its not the same but sun dried tomatoes comes to mind, especially the oil cured ones. The look and texture, etc..

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green

Scientastic posted:

Diced mushrooms stir-fried with a bit of soy sauce until caramelized and (not sure of a better way to put this) considerably shriveled.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Scientastic posted:

Crispy fried shallots with a splash of liquid smoke

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Scientastic posted:

Thin strips of firm tofu, soaked in 50/50 sugar salt brine + 2TBS of celery seed for two days. After two days, drain and pat dry your strips, then hot smoke over hickory for an hour. Let cool and store between layers of parchment in the fridge. Pan fry strips to order. It's not bacon, but it hits a lot of the flavor and texture notes. Try one block the first time, and if you enjoy it, it scales like a dream. It keeps well and can be used in any baconesque application.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I'm trying to understand stewing beef.

I've bought so-called a "stewing beef" a handful of times from the grocery store and always found it to be tough, stringy, and generally unpleasant. I've heard on some cooking shows not to use stewing beef, as this is just a way for grocery stores to get rid of poor quality meat that wouldn't necessarily be any good in stew.

I'm thinking of making this:

https://www.runningtothekitchen.com/slow-cooker-summer-beef-stew/

so what sort of beef should I buy? I've had good stews, but I really hate that leathery stringy beef.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Cyril Sneer posted:

I'm trying to understand stewing beef.

I've bought so-called a "stewing beef" a handful of times from the grocery store and always found it to be tough, stringy, and generally unpleasant. I've heard on some cooking shows not to use stewing beef, as this is just a way for grocery stores to get rid of poor quality meat that wouldn't necessarily be any good in stew.

I'm thinking of making this:

https://www.runningtothekitchen.com/slow-cooker-summer-beef-stew/

so what sort of beef should I buy? I've had good stews, but I really hate that leathery stringy beef.

Chuck steak/roast is what I go for. Just get a whole cut in the size you want, sear it off while whole, let it cool, cut it down to the size you want (probably 2" cubes), then stew.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stuff labeled stew beef is usually trash. A nice fatty chuck roast is a pretty reliable cut for that use.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"Stewing beef" is generally the low-quality/tough meat, the idea being that a stew will be cooking for so long that it'll be tender anyway. If you want your meal to come together in under a couple of hours, then it's not an appropriate type of meat to use. It's for people with a lot of time and who want to save money.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah it's edible if you want to leave it in a crock pot for twelve hours or something, but eh. Keep an eye out for chuck roast on sale and it'll be about the same price for better meat.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stews are usually something you slow cook or pressure cook or whatever so imo it makes sense to use stew beef for them

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I've never once had a problem with stew beef.

The fact that it's tough is the whole point - more collagen to render into the stew.

Problems with stew beef like you've described are user error. You wouldn't complain that a ribeye is a bad cut because you overcooked it making it tough and dry, why would you complain about undercooked stew beef?

And subbing in chuck or whatever doesn't result in the same kind of result as properly cooked stew beef for the same dish. Not necessarily a bad result, but not the same.

Dicing up a roast will likely result in meat that's got a bit more juciness, but also less fall-apart-tenderness, and a stew with a less velvety mouthfeel.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Chuck isn’t tender enough and doesn’t have enough collagen? What???

Cuts like chuck should be used in applications like stew and pot roast. The problem is that it’s not the absolute cheapest cut anymore, so some stores will cut up, like, a bottom round and call that stew meat. It may be in chunks with a “stew meat” label, but bottom round is lean and it will shred in a stringy, dry way. If you aren’t sure what cut the stew meat is, if it doesn’t look marbled, get a chuck roast and cut it up yourself.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I thought stew beef was usually chuck

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I've got no idea what cut it is, my grocery store just says "stew beef".

What I do know is that I make beef stew regularly using stew beef, but the one occasion where they didn't have any in stock and I bought a lump of chuck and cubed it, it turned out exactly as I described.

And to be clear - it wasn't really *inferior*, it was just noticeably different, and not exactly what I usually want in beef stew.

Do what you want, my overall point was that complaining stew beef turned out tough is absolutely an issue of under cooking it. Even if they are labeling bottom round as stew beef, cooked properly it won't be tough, it'll be stringy but still fall apart easily.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

"Stewing beef" is generally the low-quality/tough meat, the idea being that a stew will be cooking for so long that it'll be tender anyway. If you want your meal to come together in under a couple of hours, then it's not an appropriate type of meat to use. It's for people with a lot of time and who want to save money.

I'm using slow cooker recipies, so usually around 6 hours. Is that not long enough?

mystes posted:

Stews are usually something you slow cook or pressure cook or whatever so imo it makes sense to use stew beef for them

Slow cooker, yes, ~6 hours.

Annath posted:

I've never once had a problem with stew beef.

The fact that it's tough is the whole point - more collagen to render into the stew.

Problems with stew beef like you've described are user error. You wouldn't complain that a ribeye is a bad cut because you overcooked it making it tough and dry, why would you complain about undercooked stew beef?

And subbing in chuck or whatever doesn't result in the same kind of result as properly cooked stew beef for the same dish. Not necessarily a bad result, but not the same.

Dicing up a roast will likely result in meat that's got a bit more juciness, but also less fall-apart-tenderness, and a stew with a less velvety mouthfeel.

I'm a cooking newb. All I know is I've tried several stew/pot roast slow cooker recipes that call for stewing beef and they've always turned out poorly.

Anne Whateley posted:

Chuck isn’t tender enough and doesn’t have enough collagen? What???

Cuts like chuck should be used in applications like stew and pot roast. The problem is that it’s not the absolute cheapest cut anymore, so some stores will cut up, like, a bottom round and call that stew meat. It may be in chunks with a “stew meat” label, but bottom round is lean and it will shred in a stringy, dry way. If you aren’t sure what cut the stew meat is, if it doesn’t look marbled, get a chuck roast and cut it up yourself.

Yeah, this is my working theory. And aligns with what I've heard on cooking shows (that stewing beef does not imply its actually any good for stews).

mystes
May 31, 2006

If it's not tender you probably just need to cook it longer. If that's not convenient for you then by all means use other meat though.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I guess it kind of boils down to what you're actually looking for.

I want to make beef stew as cheaply and filling as possible. Ideally the meat will be juicy but tender, but if it's a bit dry, as long as it's tender that's fine. It's going to be smothered in a rich gravy anyway. I'm almost always making a pot of stew for a large group of 5+ people, so stew beef being both cheaper and already cut up is more important.

But if you're wanting to make an extremely impressive meal for a special occasion, go the extra mile and make boeuf bourguignon and follow Julia Child's recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What are some recipes for a pressure cooker, I feel like it can open up convenient cooking options but I don't know what to expect or look into.