Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Six hours in the slow cooker should be plenty to break down a tough beef into something tender. Maybe if the slow cooker is underpowered and you started from frozen meat, it wouldn't quite get the job done, but I'm struggling to think of what else could have gone wrong. You do immerse the meat, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

What are some recipes for a pressure cooker, I feel like it can open up convenient cooking options but I don't know what to expect or look into.
Soups, stews, legumes, braises, pretty much anything you could do in a slow cooker

The last thing I slow cooked around a week ago was a modification of this recipe: https://www.recipetineats.com/lamb-shanks-in-massaman-curry/

(I did the lamb shanks in the pressure cooker for like 45 minutes and precooked the potatoes and then combined everything rather than doing it in the oven for 3.5 hours like the recipe)

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 16, 2024

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Some of the most common uses of pressure cookers for us are: cooking beans from dry, making stock, and cooking tough meat til it's falling apart tender. All stuff that you can do without a pressure cooker, but pressure will make it happen in under an hour rather than several hours.

Also this may be controversial, but it's good for making risotto without all the ladle-at-a-time crap

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I like my pressure cooker (granted it's an instant pot) but one thing that's just a bit annoying is that the pressure cooker is deeper, but narrower, than my slow cooker.

Meaning that when making a pot roast for example, it's harder to fit a large roast inside without cutting it up and putting one chunk on top of the other.

The instant pot has a slow cooker setting, so theoretically I could completely replace my slow cooker, but when I make pot roast I want to dump the meat/potatoes/carrots/onions/mushrooms in all together and leave it to cook while I'm at work. But I can't fit all that in the instant pot. :saddowns:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Scientastic posted:

I am making Mac and cheese tonight, and my daughter has recently become a vegetarian. We often have delicious fried lardons in our Mac and cheese, and she has asked if I can find a vegetarian alternative that’s not fake bacon. Any ideas?

Make a second tiny pot of no lardon Mac and cheese? My wife has celiac so I make a cheese sauce, boil two kinds of pasta, assemble and bake two, it’s fine.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Annath posted:

I've never once had a problem with stew beef.

The fact that it's tough is the whole point - more collagen to render into the stew.
If you get a package of "stew beef" from your local grocer's, the unifying feature of what's in the package is probably not "more collagen", it's "happened to be left over from packaging the rest of the day's meat".

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Cyril Sneer posted:

I'm trying to understand stewing beef.

I've bought so-called a "stewing beef" a handful of times from the grocery store and always found it to be tough, stringy, and generally unpleasant. I've heard on some cooking shows not to use stewing beef, as this is just a way for grocery stores to get rid of poor quality meat that wouldn't necessarily be any good in stew.

I'm thinking of making this:

https://www.runningtothekitchen.com/slow-cooker-summer-beef-stew/

so what sort of beef should I buy? I've had good stews, but I really hate that leathery stringy beef.

The advice to buy chuck is sound, because stew meat or braising steak is frequently shin meat. This is a group of lower leg muscles that support the weight of a huge cow for its entire life, and as a consequence have been working a lot harder than the rest of the animal. It is almost fat free (hence it can tend towards dryness) and can contain a good deal of fascia (which is not fun to eat). Shin has its uses, and can be good, but chuck is vastly more forgiving.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Exactly, at least at my butcher the stew beef is just the random off-cuts. The only consistent feature is it's the stuff that's not worth selling any other way. It's not like you can't make something decent out of it but if you can spare the extra $3 for a chuck roast you'll be happier.

Making something tasty out of trash is an art form of its own. Respect to people who are good at it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Chemmy posted:

Make a second tiny pot of no lardon Mac and cheese? My wife has celiac so I make a cheese sauce, boil two kinds of pasta, assemble and bake two, it’s fine.
The point is she wants tasty little chewy/crunchy bits in hers too.

I second sauteeing tf out of mushroom slices and seasoning with (real) liquid smoke, paprika, whatever sounds best

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I like mushrooms way more than bacon so I'm absolutely gonna try that out.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Attempt #2 to use up my remaining left over fillings, I believe I have reverse engineered how Samosa's/Eggrolls are made by accident.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I now pronounce you chuck and stewy

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Raenir Salazar posted:

What are some recipes for a pressure cooker, I feel like it can open up convenient cooking options but I don't know what to expect or look into.
More or less every Indian dal recipe is something that can be made in a pressure cooker. Check out the Indian food thread for details.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

There's a fairly cheap cookbook Instant Pot Indian that is pretty decent. Fairly sure I heard about it here but I've definitely worked 4-5 of the recipes in it into my standard cooking rotation.

Some aren't amazingly faster or better for pressure cooker vs the stovetop, but they all work out fairly well from the half of so of the book I've tried.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
What's the dumbest cooking injury you've ever managed? I have a new contender. I was pressing garlic for some pasta last night and somehow it backfired and projectile spooged right into my face. Got a full facial including my right eyelid. Apparently I didn't clean it up fast enough because now my eyelid looks like I went boxing with George Foreman and it stings like a motherfucker.

I've zapped myself with chili so many times but I didn't even know that garlic could irritate your skin.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eifert Posting posted:

What's the dumbest cooking injury you've ever managed? I have a new contender. I was pressing garlic for some pasta last night and somehow it backfired and projectile spooged right into my face. Got a full facial including my right eyelid. Apparently I didn't clean it up fast enough because now my eyelid looks like I went boxing with George Foreman and it stings like a motherfucker.

I've zapped myself with chili so many times but I didn't even know that garlic could irritate your skin.

Making my own chili powder at home cuz someone in GWS said making your own was superior. I had mostly benign dried chilis but a few hot ones in there too.

I put them all into a small food processor and powdered them and out of pure force of habit / muscle memory wafted the blended material towards my nose as soon as I opened it. Breathed in a huge amount of airborne fine pepper dust.

Within about 3 seconds I immediately began crying profusely, dumped like a cup of snot out of my nose over the next few minutes while crying on the floor in the fetal position and stayed there for about 20 minutes. So yeah, DIY pepper sprayed myself I guess.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I was looking directly at the Sriracha bottle when I popped the cap. It sprayed a bunch directly in my eyes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Sensing a theme here.

At least capsicum flavored injuries are better than knife mishaps.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

Sensing a theme here.

At least capsicum flavored injuries are better than knife mishaps.

Yes and no. I've cut myself in the kitchen multiple times, none bad enough for stitches, but I don't even really remember any of them other than vaguely knowing I've had a few here and there and the annoying pain and time taking to clean up and stop bleeding etc.

I remember the entire pepper spray incident with full clarity nearly 15 yrs later.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I made fermented hot sauce and wanted to can it.

When canning, you put the container into a water bath and heat until the food product begins to boil, and hold it at that temp for a time.

Turns out, capsaicin steam is basically teargas.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Timely. I just reached for a bottle off the drying rack which is just behind our kettle. The kettle which was at its most intense streaming right before beeping "done!"

Pretty sure I have a 2"x2" second degree burn on my wrist, but I'm only 5 minutes out so time will tell.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Annath posted:

I made fermented hot sauce and wanted to can it.

When canning, you put the container into a water bath and heat until the food product begins to boil, and hold it at that temp for a time.

Turns out, capsaicin steam is basically teargas.

Reminds me of making vinegar pickles. The "canning juice" for the pickles is vinegar, water, garlic, cloves, mustard, and a bunch of other stuff, and you want to simmer it for a bit before adding the cucumber. Do not stick your face in the steam from that pot!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Chili oil into a hot pan was a good one, everyone in the house just started screaming

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 17, 2024

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Reminds me of making vinegar pickles. The "canning juice" for the pickles is vinegar, water, garlic, cloves, mustard, and a bunch of other stuff, and you want to simmer it for a bit before adding the cucumber. Do not stick your face in the steam from that pot!

Or do, if you need to scour out your airways! :ohno:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Either cutting the top of my finger off while slicing tomatoes or dropping a boiling stock pot of demi glacé right in front of myself, both were unpleasant.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Grabbed a pan I had just pulled out of the 450 degree oven with my bare hand. I was distracted, and it was very stupid. Burns sure do hurt like a motherfucker don't they?

Also the first time I tried to make some blackened fish on my stovetop in the house I had just moved into that didn't have a kitchen exhaust fan. I thought opening the window would be sufficient. It was not. Pretty much pepper sprayed myself. I have since done a kitchen remodel and still need to hook up the ducting for my new exhaust fan, will not be making blackened anything again until that is operational.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I make smash burgers on cast iron and sometimes try an oklahoma onion-burger style.

With a normal smash burger, the timing on when to flip and how long to let the underside get kissed is usually pretty simple, but I'm having trouble dialing in the timing/heat with onion burgers.

I don't have a mandolin but I do my best to cut em thin as I can with a knife and pile up maybe a quarter onion on top before flipping. I have a hard time telling once they're flipped to the onion side how long exactly the onions need to become nice and caramelized, or how hot the pan should be. Usually I get the pan as ripping hot as I can for browning on the first side, and if I flip it like that the onions will usually end up burning in a bad way near the edges, producing a fair bit of actual smoke. I've tried dialing back the time or heat and gotten the opposite result where the onions are just sort of steamed with no color and a bit too crunchy still for my taste. I'm tempted to try turning off the heat entirely after the flip and maybe letting it have a few extra minutes of time on only residual heat.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I lived in a commune house and I was pretty decent at cooking but very new to cooking with hot peps and trying to wing it. I treated them basically like I would bell peps - I added some cut up habañeros (and some seeds, just wasn't very careful getting seeds out) to a frying pan of onions, no exhaust fan, and basically tear gassed my whole house. Even people upstairs had to leave the house lmao. Took a good 10 minutes of doors open before we could go back in without irritation.

Later that night, when taking out my contacts, despite washing my hands a hundred times, I got the ol spicy eyeball real bad. And again the next morning.

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I was looking directly at the Sriracha bottle when I popped the cap. It sprayed a bunch directly in my eyes.

Did this exact one also lmao

e:

Sirotan posted:

Grabbed a pan I had just pulled out of the 450 degree oven with my bare hand. I was distracted, and it was very stupid. Burns sure do hurt like a motherfucker don't they?

And this one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I made a fermented ghost pepper hot sauce and was at the stage of turning it into actual sauce, which meant putting the peppers and some of the brine into a container and blending it smooth. I subsequently had to open all the windows and leave my apartment for a couple hours to air out.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i done mandolined the tip of my thumb off once. i never did find it and i think one of my two dogs ate it when my ex took me to the ER.

last summer, the leg of my pant rode up and i burned my leg on my motorcycle exhaust. that hurt way more and was probably my worst cooking related mishap as I put a hard sear on my leg just above my achilles

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I had an All Clad pan I was making a frittata in, and was very careful to use a pot holder since it had a normal frying pan handle and I knew I would be dumb. Once we had decided it was done and it was time to eat, I picked it back up but forgot the pot holder.

We had just gotten a new oven with a glass top, and despite the searing pain, I had the presence of mind to set it down slowly instead of dropping it. Got a second degree burn but at least my stove was okay.

Not mine, but I was once helping a roommate make salsa, he was chopping the chiles. He said, "I have to pee, I'll be right back." Thirty seconds later I heard a blood-curdling scream.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Scoss posted:

I make smash burgers on cast iron and sometimes try an oklahoma onion-burger style.

With a normal smash burger, the timing on when to flip and how long to let the underside get kissed is usually pretty simple, but I'm having trouble dialing in the timing/heat with onion burgers.

I don't have a mandolin but I do my best to cut em thin as I can with a knife and pile up maybe a quarter onion on top before flipping. I have a hard time telling once they're flipped to the onion side how long exactly the onions need to become nice and caramelized, or how hot the pan should be. Usually I get the pan as ripping hot as I can for browning on the first side, and if I flip it like that the onions will usually end up burning in a bad way near the edges, producing a fair bit of actual smoke. I've tried dialing back the time or heat and gotten the opposite result where the onions are just sort of steamed with no color and a bit too crunchy still for my taste. I'm tempted to try turning off the heat entirely after the flip and maybe letting it have a few extra minutes of time on only residual heat.

My technique is to use a bigger pan, or even better a griddle, so I can start the onions in a different area of the pan. When the onions start to soften, then you smash the burgers in the other part of the pan, scoop the onions on top, and flip. This way you can adjust the cooking time and temperature on the onions until you dial it in just how you like it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

We buy roasted hatch chiles every year, usually 20ish pounds, then process and freeze them to use over time. These are the hot and super hot varieties. This last year we were out of gloves so I was like how bad can it be, and rather than going to the store to buy more, processed 20 pounds of chiles barehanded. This is removing the skin, then splitting to get some of the seeds out.

My hands were felt like they burning for the next 12 hours. It was an intense experience! Very little helped, but I functionally gom jabbared myself.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Restore spice production or you will live out your life in a pain amplifier.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm quite susceptible to the chemical from onions and I was cutting a paticularly bad bunch, eyes are streaming and I reflexively went to wipe my eyes and very slightly stabbed myself in the face. Like my arm went up, my brain went hmm no but not quickly enough.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Carillon posted:

We buy roasted hatch chiles every year, usually 20ish pounds, then process and freeze them to use over time. These are the hot and super hot varieties. This last year we were out of gloves so I was like how bad can it be, and rather than going to the store to buy more, processed 20 pounds of chiles barehanded. This is removing the skin, then splitting to get some of the seeds out.

My hands were felt like they burning for the next 12 hours. It was an intense experience! Very little helped, but I functionally gom jabbared myself.

Wegmans sells roasted hatch chilies about once a year in early fall. Typically they sell them roasted, but I bought about 40lbs of them raw to make fermented hot sauce out of. It turned out incredible. Plenty of onions and garlic in there, and half the batch had lime juice added.

This year I think I'll buy them roasted and see how that turns out. Would roasted still be good fermented, or would it be better to just sauce them up as-is?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
There’s a place here you can go where you pick out as many raw hatch peppers as you want, then they fire-roast them in a giant bingo-ball spinner in front of you while you wait.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Lawnie posted:

There’s a place here you can go where you pick out as many raw hatch peppers as you want, then they fire-roast them in a giant bingo-ball spinner in front of you while you wait.

Yeah that's what the local Wegmans does.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Annath posted:

Wegmans sells roasted hatch chilies about once a year in early fall. Typically they sell them roasted, but I bought about 40lbs of them raw to make fermented hot sauce out of. It turned out incredible. Plenty of onions and garlic in there, and half the batch had lime juice added.

This year I think I'll buy them roasted and see how that turns out. Would roasted still be good fermented, or would it be better to just sauce them up as-is?

I ferment with mine just fine! They are very, very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Twobirds posted:

I had an All Clad pan I was making a frittata in, and was very careful to use a pot holder since it had a normal frying pan handle and I knew I would be dumb. Once we had decided it was done and it was time to eat, I picked it back up but forgot the pot holder.
Not mine, but I was once helping a roommate make salsa, he was chopping the chiles. He said, "I have to pee, I'll be right back." Thirty seconds later I heard a blood-curdling scream.

I've actually lost count of the number of times I've done this. What I do now, as soon as the hot pan is removed from the oven, is stick a glove-style pot holder over the pan handle to not only visually remind me that the pan's hot but also prevent me from grabbing the searing-hot handle like an idiot (again).