Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
Mine was probably tossing horseradish root into the food processor and looking directly into the bowl after I took the lid off

my sinuses were clear for like a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

The Midniter posted:

I've actually lost count of the number of times I've done this. What I do now, as soon as the hot pan is removed from the oven, is stick a glove-style pot holder over the pan handle to not only visually remind me that the pan's hot but also prevent me from grabbing the searing-hot handle like an idiot (again).

Oh I like that. I think I have some silicone grippy things that would work well.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I discovered mamey, and it's so awesome I'm considering getting a mamey tree. Mamey season is starting in south Florida, and I'm about to be inundated with ripe mamey fruit in our grocery stores.

Do you have mamey recipes? I've found a million mamey smoothie recipes, but nothing else. Mamey mousse, custard or pie? Savory dishes where mamey gives a touch of sweetness? Mamey salad dressing? How do you use it?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
My Great Aunt was named Mamie, so that was a weird post at first.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

I've actually lost count of the number of times I've done this. What I do now, as soon as the hot pan is removed from the oven, is stick a glove-style pot holder over the pan handle to not only visually remind me that the pan's hot but also prevent me from grabbing the searing-hot handle like an idiot (again).

My most recent “needed bandaging for a couple days” burn was from trying to move the handle of the hot pan so I could reach the handle cover on the countertop. I was trying so, so hard to get out of my own way I managed to come all the way around to kicking my own rear end

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I have enjoyed this cheesecake recipe a few times but it produces slightly more batter than will fit in my springform cakepan. Can I simply omit one of the 225g cheese bricks and adjust the other ingredients to 80% the listed amounts?

▪900g/4 blocks cream cheese, room temperature
▪225g/8oz goat cheese, room temp --> omit
▪240g or 1c sugar --> 192g
▪5g or 1tsp salt --> 4g
▪30g or 1/4c corn starch --> 24g
▪125g or 1/2c sour cream --> 100g
▪Zest of 1 lemon --> I like citrus it's fine
▪5g or 1tsp vanilla extract --> 4g
▪5 whole large eggs + 2 yolks --> 4 whole eggs + 2 yolks?

mystes
May 31, 2006

🤔

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Scoss posted:

I have enjoyed this cheesecake recipe a few times but it produces slightly more batter than will fit in my springform cakepan. Can I simply omit one of the 225g cheese bricks and adjust the other ingredients to 80% the listed amounts?

▪5g or 1tsp salt --> 4g

675 is 75% of 900 :)

mystes
May 31, 2006

But yeah of course you can just scale the other ingredients

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think they're talking about doing 900g normal cheese and 0g goat cheese, whereupon it would be 80%

obviously that will be a taste difference but sounds good anyways. that isn't a viciously fine-tuned recipe

mystes
May 31, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i think they're talking about doing 900g normal cheese and 0g goat cheese, whereupon it would be 80%

obviously that will be a taste difference but sounds good anyways. that isn't a viciously fine-tuned recipe
ohhh

yeah you don't need to use goat cheese, although I probably would because I think I've done that exact recipe and it was good

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The goat cheese is an unusual ingredient which I don't feel like looking for. It represents one of five 225g blocks of cheese for the recipe. I have substituted the goat cheese with regular cream cheese in the past with no problem, but as I mentioned the recipe produces slightly too much batter regardless, so I'm wondering if I can just downscale around it.

Sorry if I did not explain fully.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 18, 2024

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I love it when people incorrectly rush to correct someone

But goats cheese in a cheesecake? What? I love goats cheese but I can't see what the added goat funk is going to bring to the cheesecake party that isn't disappointment

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Take it up with Brian Lagerstrom! I could of course just find a different recipe but this one has worked in the past and I'm also just academically wondering if these sorts of ingredients can scale with ratios and not harm the final product. It seemed like it would be fine.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

But goats cheese in a cheesecake? What? I love goats cheese but I can't see what the added goat funk is going to bring to the cheesecake party that isn't disappointment
I've made it and it's pretty good but I honestly don't know how detectable the goat cheese is in the final product anyway

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I actually can't stand cheesecake but I'd make an exception for an all chevre cheesecake.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I actually can't stand cheesecake but I'd make an exception for an all chevre cheesecake.

My mom used this recipe for a savory cheesecake that is wild good on a cheese board or for appetizing that you may like:

DRY GOUDA CHEESECAKE

1 c. saltines crumbs (¼ c.)
6 T. grated parmesan cheese (1 ½ T.)
2 T. butter, melted (2 t.)
4 8 oz. packages cream cheese (1 8oz. package)
4 eggs (1 egg)
½ c. whipping cream (⅛ c.)
6 c. grated aged dry Gouda or aged dry jack (1 ½ c.)
½ c. shredded gruyere (⅛ c.)
⅓ c. snipped chives
¼ t. cracked black pepper

Generously butter sides and bottom of 9" spring form pan. Stir together the cracker crumbs, parmesan and melted butter. Spread 3/4 of the mixture on the bottom of the pan. Chill until ready to use.

Beat the cream cheese, eggs and whipping cream on medium speed for 5 minutes until smooth. Stir in Gouda, gruyere, chives and peppercorns with a rubber spatula until smooth. Spread into prepared pan and sprinkle the top with the remaining crumbs.

Set pan on a baking sheet and bake at 300 for 1 ½ hours. Reduce temperature to 200 and bake 30 more minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the cheesecake in the oven for 30 additional minutes. Remove to a wire rack for about 20 minutes. Serve with fresh pears and crostini.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I wish I liked goat cheese more. It's just a bit too... funky(?) for me. Which is weird because I love blue cheese on a lot of stuff.

Goat cheese just has kind of a "tastes like wet dog smells" aspect to me. Granted I also get exactly the same taste from goat meat, so maybe I have weird taste buds.

I like lamb meat, and sheep's milk cheese, so who knows.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Is there a thread comparing different sellers of the same spice?

I have a lot of spice questions. I have a large collection of spices, most of them whole. Most of the time when I google I hear that whole spices should be discarded after two years. That seems way too frequent. And for something like cloves or star anise I never notice any change in them over that time period.

I would like to discuss with experts:

- What spices are worth paying a premium for? For what kind of dishes?

- What spices are worth keeping very fresh? For what kind of dishes?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Dude, I made a mustard cheesecake for an ICSA competition, and it was fantastic.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Soul Dentist posted:

My mom used this recipe for a savory cheesecake that is wild good on a cheese board or for appetizing that you may like:

DRY GOUDA CHEESECAKE

1 c. saltines crumbs (¼ c.)
6 T. grated parmesan cheese (1 ½ T.)
2 T. butter, melted (2 t.)
4 8 oz. packages cream cheese (1 8oz. package)
4 eggs (1 egg)
½ c. whipping cream (⅛ c.)
6 c. grated aged dry Gouda or aged dry jack (1 ½ c.)
½ c. shredded gruyere (⅛ c.)
⅓ c. snipped chives
¼ t. cracked black pepper

Generously butter sides and bottom of 9" spring form pan. Stir together the cracker crumbs, parmesan and melted butter. Spread 3/4 of the mixture on the bottom of the pan. Chill until ready to use.

Beat the cream cheese, eggs and whipping cream on medium speed for 5 minutes until smooth. Stir in Gouda, gruyere, chives and peppercorns with a rubber spatula until smooth. Spread into prepared pan and sprinkle the top with the remaining crumbs.

Set pan on a baking sheet and bake at 300 for 1 ½ hours. Reduce temperature to 200 and bake 30 more minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the cheesecake in the oven for 30 additional minutes. Remove to a wire rack for about 20 minutes. Serve with fresh pears and crostini.

That sounds real good actually.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FaradayCage posted:

Is there a thread comparing different sellers of the same spice?

I have a lot of spice questions. I have a large collection of spices, most of them whole. Most of the time when I google I hear that whole spices should be discarded after two years. That seems way too frequent. And for something like cloves or star anise I never notice any change in them over that time period.

I would like to discuss with experts:

- What spices are worth paying a premium for? For what kind of dishes?

- What spices are worth keeping very fresh? For what kind of dishes?

I don't believe that we have a current thread discussing different brands of spices specifically. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules, but there are some guidelines I tend to follow.

If you are not using certain spices everyday, it's OK to go with a small jar of a cheaper brand. If I need to pick up a spice because I'm trying a new recipe, I will generally go with a small cheap/store brand. I'd also say that if the spice is not the focus of the dish, it's also ok to go with the cheaper option. If I'm adding a bit of cinnamon to something like egg nog, French toast, hot chocolate, etc., cheap is ok.

If on the other hand, we're talking something like a spice cake or snickerdoodles, or something else where that's the main flavor, I'll spend the money and get the good stuff.

I would also say that if you have some spices that you use regularly and replace frequently, get the better quality and larger jars if you can manage.

In general, as I said, I'm OK with the store brand for most spices. I think in general Spice Islands tends to get better ratings and are available in most stores. I think McCormick tends to be over priced and IME tends to taste a bit duller.

Personally, If I want better spices, I go with Penzys. They have been good quality, good selection, and if you sign up for their emails you can get good deals a few times per week. Just note, the Penzy's people are very liberal and are not shy about sharing their opinion in their frequent emails, so if that is a turn off, just ignore reading the contents and skip down to the coupons/offers.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Scoss posted:

▪5g or 1tsp salt --> 4g

I was going to charge in and comment that reducing everything to 80% of the original quantities* might mess with the cooking time, but then I read on and realized that the reduced recipe will fit into the same cakepan, so yeah, it should be all good :)

*I know about the chevre omission so I'm all up to date. As an aside, I never thought chevre tasted funky at all - it's amazing with either honey+walnuts, or honey+thyme. I admit, my funky cheese tolerance is pretty high, one of my favorites is Epoisses, and it can get insanely stinky. Last Christmas, the epoisses got so smelly (even though it was already in double tupperware), it had to get moved to a fridge in another building.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
GAS SAFETY QUESTION.

I want to try using my portable japanese camping stove more often this summer, but I find it distasteful how wasteful the butane(?) cannisters are.

How can I SAFELY use an attachment to hook it up to something larger, and what gases can I substitute it with? Of course this would be outdoors. Would a propane tank work? Does Butane come in larger cannisters I should use instead?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Raenir Salazar posted:

I find it distasteful how wasteful the butane(?) cannisters are

In what way are they wasteful? Aren’t they refilled?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Scientastic posted:

In what way are they wasteful? Aren’t they refilled?

Only the big ones with valves. He's talking about the cartridge style containers, which are disposable.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Squashy Nipples posted:

Only the big ones with valves. He's talking about the cartridge style containers, which are disposable.

Exactly, the ones that get sold here in most stores are like that. They're like the size of a water thermos and you just plug them into a magnetically sealed lock; they last like 2 hours at most and then just throw them out.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Why not use a camping stove that is made for usage with a bottle? I would absolutely not trust any hacks to your stove to somehow make it fit a big bottle instead of a cartridge.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Eezee posted:

Why not use a camping stove that is made for usage with a bottle? I would absolutely not trust any hacks to your stove to somehow make it fit a big bottle instead of a cartridge.

I'm not talking about hacks, I think its reasonable that there's probably a safe way of attaching an adapter.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There’s a zillion propane tank adapter cables on Amazon

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Reminds me of making vinegar pickles. The "canning juice" for the pickles is vinegar, water, garlic, cloves, mustard, and a bunch of other stuff, and you want to simmer it for a bit before adding the cucumber. Do not stick your face in the steam from that pot!

Same for British style pickled onions except you're also boiling chilis and not diluting the vinegar. I feel like committing domestic chemical warfare warcrimes is a theme here.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

How do you use this stuff? I got some as a gift. It is pretty spicy and has a very forward cumin taste

https://www.chingonas.shop/online-ordering/dish/67cf7599-fa99-444a-a660-34784f21540d

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

There’s a zillion propane tank adapter cables on Amazon

Which you shouldn’t buy because the consequences of a faulty propane line to your stove far outweigh the convenience and frankly environmental damage of single use canisters. I’m pretty liberal with what I’ll buy from Amazon but I don’t think I’d go for a propane gas line if I could avoid it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Alternatively you can buy plenty of propane adapter lines at Home Depot

I think my Weber grill came with one so I can use either mini cans or tanks

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Or just don't worry about it? Butane canisters are made of aluminum or steel. Metal pretty much all gets recycled, it's not like plastic. Unless you're going through five a week it seems like a lot of effort and gas leak related risk for no real reason.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Steve Yun posted:

Alternatively you can buy plenty of propane adapter lines at Home Depot

I think my Weber grill came with one so I can use either mini cans or tanks

My first thought is, are those really any better than what you would find on Amazon? I am sure you can find name brand (Weber, etc) ones at both, but I doubt the Home Depot knock off brand is any better than the Amazon Basics one.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

kreeningsons posted:

How do you use this stuff? I got some as a gift. It is pretty spicy and has a very forward cumin taste

https://www.chingonas.shop/online-ordering/dish/67cf7599-fa99-444a-a660-34784f21540d

I'd put a teaspoon on pretty much any taco for a start. Toss some cubed roasted potatoes in it. Blend it into mayo and use in sandwiches. On a steak right off the grill.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fry an egg in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pookah posted:

As an aside, I never thought chevre tasted funky at all - it's amazing with either honey+walnuts, or honey+thyme.
My husband makes an amazing French recipe (I think from the Armagnac region?) called fromageon. Mix goat cheese, honey, Armagnac/brandy/similar, chopped walnuts, serve on apple slices.