Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Torquemada posted:

I'd put a teaspoon on pretty much any taco for a start. Toss some cubed roasted potatoes in it. Blend it into mayo and use in sandwiches. On a steak right off the grill.

This, and eggs, and hash browns. For us, it's the patty style from Trader Joe's, my son's favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you know how to use laoganma, it's basically hispanic peeps laoganma

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My husband makes an amazing French recipe (I think from the Armagnac region?) called fromageon. Mix goat cheese, honey, Armagnac/brandy/similar, chopped walnuts, serve on apple slices.

drat that sounds delicious.
I actually think there's a bottle of armagnac around here somewhere, so I might get to give this a try.
Does he use a cheese with a rind or the rindless kind?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

kreeningsons posted:

How do you use this stuff? I got some as a gift. It is pretty spicy and has a very forward cumin taste

https://www.chingonas.shop/online-ordering/dish/67cf7599-fa99-444a-a660-34784f21540d

I would use it anywhere you wanted a spicy, cuminy taste added (serious)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm looking for something like a reference book that tells you what foods and drinks pair well with different cheeses. Basically "The Flavor Bible" but specific to cheese. Does such a thing exist?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I made the beef curry. It was pretty good, but I decided I prefer chicken.

Now I'm considering more experimental ideas... How would the flavor of curry interact with chorizo for example?

Would that be some kind of culinary sin?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I put some andouille sausage in a curry once, and while it didn't taste awful, I do think the two flavors didn't quite work right together.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I'm looking for something like a reference book that tells you what foods and drinks pair well with different cheeses. Basically "The Flavor Bible" but specific to cheese. Does such a thing exist?

Might be a nice way to liven up the cheese thread, go ask them!

Annath posted:

Would that be some kind of culinary sin?

The food police aren't real and they can't hurt you.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I went and got some lemon juice and this time my whipped cream was way thicker.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

kreeningsons posted:

How do you use this stuff? I got some as a gift. It is pretty spicy and has a very forward cumin taste

https://www.chingonas.shop/online-ordering/dish/67cf7599-fa99-444a-a660-34784f21540d

That is the best kept secret in all of Mexican cuisine. By far the best tasting, yet least known outside of Mexico.
It's basically a Mexican version of Chinese chili crisp*, so use it in all the places people use that condiment: Eggs, stir-fry, mixed with mayonaisse. Here are some others uses I found really great:

Pizza sauce. Use in place of tomato sauce on pizza. It goes incredibly well with thin crust, mozzarella cheese, and cured meats.
Ice cream. No, really. It's an awesome topping for vanilla ice cream.
Steak. Even if you're a salt-and-pepper purist about steak, a dab of salsa macha on a finished steak elevates it to a new level.

*or chili crisp might be a Chinese version of Salsa Macha; no one's quite sure which was invented first. Probably a bit of both: Mayans were known to toast dried chiles with seeds as a condiment, and Chinese immigrants in Veracruz were known to add infused oils to their food.

---------------------------------------
I used to make and sell my own salsa macha. This is the recipe I used. You'll need a thermometer, a big pot, and a good blender.

Olive Oil 300 grams (you can sub any other oil you like)
Pumpkin Seeds 60 grams (peanuts are more traditional, but any nut or seed can be used)
Garlic Cloves 60 grams
Chile Guajillo 30 grams
Chile Ancho 30 grams
Chile de Arbol 2 grams (add more chile de arbol if you like it really spicy)
Sesame Seeds 30 grams
Apple Cider Vinegar 25 grams
Salt 8 grams

Heat the olive oil in a pot until it reaches 300-350 degrees.
While the oil is heating, pull the stems off the chiles. Removing the seeds is optional. Peel the garlic cloves.
Add the garlic cloves and pumpkin seeds. Let them cook for 5 minutes.
Add the chiles and sesame seeds and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
While cooking, the garlic and pumpkin seeds will turn dark brown, looking almost like they're burnt. That's okay.
The dried chiles will float; they might even inflate like baloons. Use a spatula to push them into the oil.

After 10 minutes, turn off the heat. Let the mixture sit until the temperature drops below 200 degrees. Add the vinegar and salt (watch out for splatter).
Blend everything with an immersion blender, or toss it in a Vitamix. Don't use a cheap blender; it won't chop the chiles fine enough.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Grem posted:

Hi! I have been tasked with bringing in a "treat" to work in May along with my team. People laughed because I am a culinary idiot and eat like those Hostess donuts for breakfast. They know I ain't cooking anything. But I want to blow them away, what's the easiest, but most complicated LOOKING baked good I can serve to 20 people.

I asked this a while ago and got a great recommendation for a Nutella and puff pastry thing, that was my plan. I told my group today I planned on bringing it and.... Someone already made it for their Christmas morning! I want to be unique, any other suggestions?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Grem posted:

I asked this a while ago and got a great recommendation for a Nutella and puff pastry thing, that was my plan. I told my group today I planned on bringing it and.... Someone already made it for their Christmas morning! I want to be unique, any other suggestions?

Are you in a big city/have an Italian bakery nearby? If you buy the shells, filling/decorating chocolate cannoli is absurdly easy, delicious, and looks crazy impressive.

If you do, I can post a super easy chocolate mousse filling.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

Are you in a big city/have an Italian bakery nearby? If you buy the shells, filling/decorating chocolate cannoli is absurdly easy, delicious, and looks crazy impressive.

If you do, I can post a super easy chocolate mousse filling.

Could I just buy cannoli shells from Amazon? I'd definitely be interested in the chocolates mousse filling

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Grem posted:

Could I just buy cannoli shells from Amazon? I'd definitely be interested in the chocolates mousse filling

Probably. I cant vouch for their quality, but theyre probably fine. Get some mini chocolate chips, normal chocolate chips, espresso powder, and cocoa powder while youre at it, if you dont have any. Any minis are fine, Guittard red or purple bag is what you want for the normal chocolate chips. For cocoa powder, Guittard Cocoa Rouge, or Valrhona are good, and a good color for decorating.

Ill post recipe and instructions tonight or tomorrow after work.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

Probably. I can’t vouch for their quality, but they’re probably fine. Get some mini chocolate chips, normal chocolate chips, espresso powder, and cocoa powder while you’re at it, if you don’t have any. Any minis are fine, Guittard red or purple bag is what you want for the normal chocolate chips. For cocoa powder, Guittard Cocoa Rouge, or Valrhona are good, and a good color for decorating.

I’ll post recipe and instructions tonight or tomorrow after work.

Thank you, I really appreciate it

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bagheera posted:

That is the best kept secret in all of Mexican cuisine. By far the best tasting, yet least known outside of Mexico.
It's basically a Mexican version of Chinese chili crisp*, so use it in all the places people use that condiment: Eggs, stir-fry, mixed with mayonaisse. Here are some others uses I found really great:

Pizza sauce. Use in place of tomato sauce on pizza. It goes incredibly well with thin crust, mozzarella cheese, and cured meats.
Ice cream. No, really. It's an awesome topping for vanilla ice cream.
Steak. Even if you're a salt-and-pepper purist about steak, a dab of salsa macha on a finished steak elevates it to a new level.

*or chili crisp might be a Chinese version of Salsa Macha; no one's quite sure which was invented first. Probably a bit of both: Mayans were known to toast dried chiles with seeds as a condiment, and Chinese immigrants in Veracruz were known to add infused oils to their food.

---------------------------------------
I used to make and sell my own salsa macha. This is the recipe I used. You'll need a thermometer, a big pot, and a good blender.

Olive Oil 300 grams (you can sub any other oil you like)
Pumpkin Seeds 60 grams (peanuts are more traditional, but any nut or seed can be used)
Garlic Cloves 60 grams
Chile Guajillo 30 grams
Chile Ancho 30 grams
Chile de Arbol 2 grams (add more chile de arbol if you like it really spicy)
Sesame Seeds 30 grams
Apple Cider Vinegar 25 grams
Salt 8 grams

Heat the olive oil in a pot until it reaches 300-350 degrees.
While the oil is heating, pull the stems off the chiles. Removing the seeds is optional. Peel the garlic cloves.
Add the garlic cloves and pumpkin seeds. Let them cook for 5 minutes.
Add the chiles and sesame seeds and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
While cooking, the garlic and pumpkin seeds will turn dark brown, looking almost like they're burnt. That's okay.
The dried chiles will float; they might even inflate like baloons. Use a spatula to push them into the oil.

After 10 minutes, turn off the heat. Let the mixture sit until the temperature drops below 200 degrees. Add the vinegar and salt (watch out for splatter).
Blend everything with an immersion blender, or toss it in a Vitamix. Don't use a cheap blender; it won't chop the chiles fine enough.

Just about zero chance I'm going to make this for myself, but great post, thanks!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Can anyone recommend a good small induction capable flat bottomed work? I am often cooking single servings and my big 12" carbon steel wok is such over kill, but it seems hard to find smaller works that are carbon steel, and induction capable...

Maybe I should just get this and season it: https://a.co/d/eugXUEN

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 25, 2024

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

NYTimes must be reading us, Kenji weighs in on scrambled eggs:

quote:

By J. Kenji Lpez-Alt

Kenji Lpez-Alt has spent the last 15 years of his career rigorously researching and testing recipes, techniques and widely accepted kitchen wisdoms to figure out the whys of cooking.
Published April 24, 2024Updated April 25, 2024, 12:41 p.m. ET

In this column, Ask Kenji, the cookbook author Kenji Lpez-Alt answers your questions. This week, he discusses the surprising science of salting scrambles.

Q. Should I add salt to scrambled eggs before cooking, during or after? Ashley Allison, Chicago

A. Dont season it, a young Gordon Ramsay warns in the viral video that has no-doubt landed his soft scrambled eggs on countless breakfast tables. Salt breaks down the eggs and turns them into something very watery, he says sternly, adding that salt should be added during the last moments of cooking. In a different scrambled egg tutorial, he claims that salt added too early will make the eggs go gray. Is he right? Will seasoning eggs before cooking them ruin them?

As with most simple questions, the answer can get quite complicated.

Lets start with the quick version: It doesnt really matter. Salting your eggs before cooking can improve texture and flavor incrementally, but adding salt at the last minute works just fine.

Got it? Now that Ive revealed the stakes, lets dive deeper.
A Little Background

Im no stranger to writing about scrambled eggs and the contentious comments that arise surrounding their ideal texture. It can be downright dangerous to weigh in on whether you prefer your scrambled eggs fluffy and moist (the so-called American way), custardy and creamy (the French way), or heaven forbid well done and browned (my wifes way). But I think there are two things we can all agree on: Eggs taste better when salted properly, and while moist eggs are good, wet eggs are not.

It turns out that these two qualities salting and wetness are linked.

On Team Salt-Before-Cooking, we have both Julia Child in The French Chef Cookbook and Jacques Ppin in Essential Ppin. Daniel Boulud salts his eggs after cracking and straining them, but before cooking them in a double boiler. James Beard recommended beating the eggs with salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce before cooking them in butter. In his testing at Serious Eats, my friend Daniel Gritzer found the differences subtle, though he comes down on the salt-first side.

But Team Salt-at-the-End has its own heavy hitters. In his demonstration video, Marco Pierre White, Mr. Ramsays mentor, doesnt add salt to his scrambled eggs until theyve been in the pan for nearly four-and-a-half minutes. In her 1954 book, The Art of Eating, M.F.K. Fisher suggests seasoning at the last stir or two when making scrambled eggs, as Mr. Ramsey did.

For something that is relatively easy to test, the existing recommendations are maddeningly mixed.

Understanding Scrambled Eggs

What causes scrambled eggs to turn tough or watery in the first place? To find out, it helps to become familiar with their structure. Eggs are made up of about 76 percent water, 13 percent protein and 10 percent fat. In their raw, unbeaten state, these proteins are twisted tightly around themselves, like a bunch of charging cables youve carefully wound and zipped up in a pouch before a flight. Whisking those eggs is like letting those cables get jostled during turbulence. Their ends loosen, and they bump up against other cables and begin to get entangled.

When we then apply heat to those eggs, its like giving the pouch of cables to a toddler: The individual cables are unraveled, then twisted together, becoming a tangled ball. Its this mesh of proteins that cradles the mixture of water, fat and air that makes well-scrambled eggs moist, flavorful and light. As those proteins continue to heat up in the pan, they contract tighter and tighter, squeezing out water, which evaporates as it hits the hot pan surface, leaving the scrambled eggs dry and tough. Even eggs that we manage to take out of the pan at exactly the right moment when the curds glisten and quiver can continue to cook, squeezing out water that pools on the plate.

The Experiment

In my 2015 book, The Food Lab, I ran a short series of experiments in which I salted beaten eggs before, during and after cooking, then compared their moistness and tenderness.

This time around, I decided to greatly expand my testing. I thoroughly beat several dozen eggs, then passed them through a fine-mesh strainer to homogenize them. I next divided these eggs into 150-gram batches (the equivalent of three beaten eggs). I then added 1.5 grams of salt immediately before cooking, up to four full days before cooking.

To ensure that the eggs were cooked in an identical manner, I heated a nonstick skillet to 300 degrees on an induction cooktop. I added teaspoon vegetable oil and cooked each batch of eggs for exactly 28 seconds while gently stirring with a silicone spatula. I then set aside 50 grams of cooked eggs for tasting and transferred the rest to a fine-mesh strainer set over a bowl and allowed the eggs to drain for two and a half minutes.

The drainage test was quite revealing. For eggs salted a relatively short period of time before cooking, there was a direct correlation between salting length and moisture retained. Eggs salted just before cooking wept about a teaspoon of watery liquid as they rested, while eggs salted at least 15 minutes before cooking retained virtually all of their moisture.

As it turns out, salting your eggs can help mitigate wetness.
Whats happening?

The answer can be found in Harold McGees 1984 book On Food and Cooking. He explains that egg proteins naturally repel one another as a result of their electrical charges. As salt dissolves in water, it dissociates into negatively and positively charged ions that tend to cluster around the charged portions of the bundled egg proteins, simultaneously loosening them up and lowering their repulsion to one another. You can easily see this change with the naked eye: Compare the deep orange color and relatively translucent appearance of eggs that have been salted, beaten and rested for 15 minutes to the paler yellow of freshly beaten, unsalted eggs.

In their more uninhibited state, salted egg proteins tend to glom on to one another before individual proteins have even had a chance to fully unravel. The result is a protein matrix that sets up faster and at a lower temperature, but has a weaker overall structure.

Practically this translates to eggs that cook faster, are seasoned more thoroughly and are more tender and moist. All winning qualities in my book.

So should I salt even longer?

Things took a turn when I tried extending the salting period even further: 24 hours, 48 hours and up to 96. By 48 hours, salted, beaten eggs looked strikingly different: deep orange with a transparent layer floating on top, which I had to stir back in before cooking. In the pan, they behaved even more differently, very quickly tightening and coagulating before I had a chance to break up the curds. Breaking up that sheet of coagulated egg proved relatively difficult as well. The finished eggs were by far the toughest of the lot. (I may have been imagining it, Mr. Ramsay, but they also appeared to have a faint gray tinge to them.)

My hypothesis is that, as raw, salted eggs rest, their proteins continue to unravel until theyre entangling with neighboring proteins along their full lengths, not just their ends. This results in a tough, watery scramble that sets extra-firm, and at a lower temperature.

It all makes me wonder what the texture of eggs salted several days in advance, then cooked in a much cooler pan, would be like. (There is nothing so simple and pure in cooking that it cant be ruined with a bit of overthinking.)
The takeaway

For the moistest, most tender scrambled eggs and omelets, I recommend salting and beating your eggs before cooking them. If you want your eggs even more tender and moist, let the salted, beaten eggs rest until theyve noticeably darkened in color, about 15 minutes, before cooking them. (This is about how long it takes me to get the coffee and toast ready and table set.)

Or just salt them whenever you darn well please. So long as the salted eggs arent languishing in the fridge for multiple days, the difference is minimal.

I'm definitely a member of Team Salt Before, but I usually don't let them rest that long. I'll try it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
His experiment is unusable because he didn't test salting at different stages during cooking, nor salting after cooking. His results don't paint a complete picture :science:

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

Just about zero chance I'm going to make this for myself, but great post, thanks!

Thanks. Salsa macha certainly isn't easy to make. It took a lot of effort (and a lot of hot oil burns) to get it right. If you want to buy some, I recommend the Don Emilio brand. I tried several varieties of their salsa macha and enjoyed them all.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I made a key lime pie and a passion fruit pie. Both are topped with mascarpone whipped cream.
I have strawberries and yellow mangos. Which fruit should I use for which pie? "Passion fruit strawberry" and "Lime mango"? Or "Passion fruit mango" and "Lime strawberry"?

Also I learned that you key lime pie works perfectly if you sub passion fruit juice or mango pulp for the key lime juice. It's just a sweet custard, so any sweet tropical fruit will work.

Also also here's my key lime pie recipe. It's from Pepe's in Key West. I used to live in Key West, and a lot of locals told me this is the best key lime pie they've had.
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pepes-cafe-key-lime-pie-394349

2 egg whites
4 egg yolks
14-ounce can condensed mil
1/2 cup key lime juice (Nellie's is what Key West people use)

Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks
Whisk together the egg yolks, condensed milk, and lime juice.
Fold in the whipped egg whites.
Bake in a graham cracker crust. 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Cool completely then top with whipped cream.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bagheera posted:

I made a key lime pie and a passion fruit pie. Both are topped with mascarpone whipped cream.
I have strawberries and yellow mangos. Which fruit should I use for which pie? "Passion fruit strawberry" and "Lime mango"? Or "Passion fruit mango" and "Lime strawberry"?

Also I learned that you key lime pie works perfectly if you sub passion fruit juice or mango pulp for the key lime juice. It's just a sweet custard, so any sweet tropical fruit will work.

Also also here's my key lime pie recipe. It's from Pepe's in Key West. I used to live in Key West, and a lot of locals told me this is the best key lime pie they've had.

2 egg whites
4 egg yolks

My gut feeling is that passion fruit will completely overwhelm the flavor of mango so maybe pair the passion fruit with strawberry and the lime with mango?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Bagheera posted:

2 egg whites
4 egg yolks

Strawberry lime is a favorite flavor combo, but both ways sound delicious.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Annath posted:

His experiment is unusable because he didn't test salting at different stages during cooking, nor salting after cooking. His results don't paint a complete picture :science:

Clearly the correct thing is to salt the eggs before cooking, at each stage of cooking and after cooking

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
My eggs are at least 25% salt by the time I am done cooking them. It adds a nice salty flavor.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Salt early, salt often.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I love adding a dash of egg to my scrambled salt.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcg8AIH_vwo

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

My giant sheet pans seem to be flaking. Not too sure how this happened as were pretty gentle with them. I cant seem to scratch anything off with my fingernail. Is this still useable or should I buy a new set?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's hard to tell, but that just looks like some burnt-on carbon to me. If so, it's harmless, ignore it.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Beet salad question.

I have 5 pounds of golden beets steaming away right now. Golden beets by themselves are pretty awesome, but I want to make a salad out of it. I've done beets with goat cheese and orange slices, and I want to riff on that. Forgive the rambling that follows:

I want the beets to be the star. Some beet salads are greens that happen to have beets in them. I want a dish that's like 80% beets, with a few flavor enhancers.
It also needs a light flavor, as I'm serving it with some heavy, filling dishes. So cream or cheese are out.

What about just adding pomegranate seeds and chopped pistachios, with a little pomegranate syrup?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's hard to tell, but that just looks like some burnt-on carbon to me. If so, it's harmless, ignore it.

Harmless seasoning as any good pan should develop.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Toss some cooled barley or farro in there maybe?

e: the beets, not the sheet pan

although a sheet pan is a great way to cool grains quickly

alnilam fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 26, 2024

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Bagheera posted:

Beet salad question.

I have 5 pounds of golden beets steaming away right now. Golden beets by themselves are pretty awesome, but I want to make a salad out of it. I've done beets with goat cheese and orange slices, and I want to riff on that. Forgive the rambling that follows:

I want the beets to be the star. Some beet salads are greens that happen to have beets in them. I want a dish that's like 80% beets, with a few flavor enhancers.
It also needs a light flavor, as I'm serving it with some heavy, filling dishes. So cream or cheese are out.

What about just adding pomegranate seeds and chopped pistachios, with a little pomegranate syrup?
Beets, toasted walnuts, chiffonaded parsley, diced apple, malt vinegar. I add frisee if it's a main, maybe a pinch of cinnamon depending on what I'm serving it with.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bagheera posted:

Beet salad question.

We normally do blood oranges like you do, but this is a close second!

From

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
All beets should be pickled, chilled, and consumed in massive quantities.

Golden is best for this so you don't worry yourself the next morning thinking you've a a massive bowel hemorrhage.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You want feta in your beet salad.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bagheera posted:

Beet salad question.

I like what youre thinking for it. Maybe take like 10 to 20% of the beets and quick pickle them and toss them back into the salad. Just toss in some pickled veggies of some kind. That might be nice small contrast.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I picked this up on a whim and it is like custom designed for beet salads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

goat cheese is better imo