Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
How does Fennel Bulb compare to Fennel Seed? I've never used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Desert Bus posted:

Fennel bulb is extremely delicious if sliced into fairly thin wedges and then roasted with a little oil and salt n pepper. (If you like anise) I absolutely adore roast fennel.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Desert Bus posted:

This is a good call.

Also I was thinking Paprika? Seems like a fit?

Adding a decorative sprinkle or tasty covering of Paprika is common with the south German style of potato salad. The one without mayo.
It would still work probably with the other style.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

Try it. You can shave it and do a salad with it if you want something simple. It has a very strong flavor though, probably too strong for my taste most of the time.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

Great in a salad especially if sliced very thinly. I do it on the mandolin to get to super thin. If you don't it can be a bit tough and stringy, like a celery bulb but it tastes of fennel.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

Adding a decorative sprinkle or tasty covering of Paprika is common with the south German style of potato salad. The one without mayo.
It would still work probably with the other style.

I forgot all about German potato salad. That's usually vinegar instead of mayo right? or are there mayo based potato salads that include vinegar?

I feel like i've read about 2 dozen diff potato salad recipes at this point.

If I can find fennel bulb easy i'll pick some up and at least give it a try. I love fennel.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I generally dislike potato salad as much as I love potatoes but I love fennel, fennel and orange l, fennel and grapefruit are good salads

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I occasionally buy it from the store, but making my own seems like a much better option, especially since the store I usually go to has decided to start adding shredded carrots to theirs.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Aramoro posted:

Great in a salad especially if sliced very thinly. I do it on the mandolin to get to super thin. If you don't it can be a bit tough and stringy, like a celery bulb but it tastes of fennel.

This is the way, it needs to be thin because it's quite fibrous, but you can chiffonade it or brunoise it if you don't have a mandolin.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Desert Bus posted:

I forgot all about German potato salad. That's usually vinegar instead of mayo right? or are there mayo based potato salads that include vinegar?

I feel like i've read about 2 dozen diff potato salad recipes at this point.

If I can find fennel bulb easy i'll pick some up and at least give it a try. I love fennel.

I always make a vinegar based potato salad that also includes mayo bc I can't stand the usually sweet mayo-based ones.

I use this basic recipe as my base and entirely omit the sugar: https://www.food.com/recipe/classic-potato-salad-22747

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I like to make potato salad with way less mayo, like half as gloppy as store brand. The potato chunks will shed more than enough mashed potato when you stir to get a nice consistency.

I also spike the stuff with vinegar at several steps. A little white vinegar when boiling the potatoes will firm them up a little and get some seasoning in there. Just a couple tablespoons, too much might make the spuds crunchy. Then I sprinkle a little seasoned vinegar on top while the potatoes are cooling.

Other add ins that I like are thinly sliced radish, possibly quick pickled, and chopped celery leaves.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Rawrbomb posted:

I'm pretty sure the rice in spam musbi is not sushi style, at least not normally. Its just rice + spam (teri flavored is a bonus) + seaweed IME. Not that you can't do it up your own style, like with furikake, etc, or making it with the sushi seasoned rice.

Thanks for the clarification!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

My kid eats fennel bulbs like an apple, just big chomps out of it until it's almost gone

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Depending on how much you are making, 2tsp normal paprika + 1/2tsp smoked paprika if youve got it.

Strong disagree on the new potatoes though. Every cold potato salad Ive ever had with new potatoes was wayyy too hard of a texture. Room temp is a little less bad.

Yukon golds are perfect at any temp.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Doom Rooster posted:

Yukon golds are perfect at any temp.

I love them, for me the best mash

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Sirotan posted:

I always make a vinegar based potato salad that also includes mayo bc I can't stand the usually sweet mayo-based ones.

I use this basic recipe as my base and entirely omit the sugar: https://www.food.com/recipe/classic-potato-salad-22747

Oh god no I would never taint potato salad with sugar.

Tendales posted:

I like to make potato salad with way less mayo, like half as gloppy as store brand. The potato chunks will shed more than enough mashed potato when you stir to get a nice consistency.

I also spike the stuff with vinegar at several steps. A little white vinegar when boiling the potatoes will firm them up a little and get some seasoning in there. Just a couple tablespoons, too much might make the spuds crunchy. Then I sprinkle a little seasoned vinegar on top while the potatoes are cooling.

Other add ins that I like are thinly sliced radish, possibly quick pickled, and chopped celery leaves.

Good to know I can mix and match the mayo and vinegar, and once again oh god no to the amount of mayo most of these recipes call for.

Thank you all so much for the insights! I'll report back soon.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This potato salad is my favorite and it gets lots of praise whenever i serve it to people.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Does anyone know where to find those delicious golden Colombian/Peruvian potatoes? I think they're better than Yukons but hard to find.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
A reminder to keep good food hygiene when you're cooking. I used to run my own food business, and I still have my ServSafe Food Handler certification from that time. So I'm not uneducated on food hygiene. And yet, we all get in a rush sometimes.

Monday I roasted a chicken for the family. Probed temperatures ranged from 165 to 180, except for one spot in the thigh, which was 150-ish. I was late making supper, and I had a hangry kid. So I ignored the thigh and served the chicken.

My wife said the thigh was a little pink. I said it's mostly white with clear fluids. I cut out the pink spot and ate the rest. Thankfully, she and my son stuck to the breasts. They're fine.

That was Monday. Thursday I felt like a boxer punched me in the stomach. Friday I couldn't eat anything (just water and Pedialyte). Saturday I went to the emergency room, where they discover bloody stool and put 2 bags of saline in my via IV. Today the tests confirm I have campylobacteria.

Please get a probe thermometer, test your meat temp in multiple places, and don't be afraid to slightly overcook. Food poisoning is no joke.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This potato salad is my favorite and it gets lots of praise whenever i serve it to people.

Excellent recipe but Peak Kenji Writing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What kind of knife do I want for cutting like thick squash and poo poo? I have a beat-up $10 santoku but it's too small and seems dangerous otherwise.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

PRADA SLUT posted:

What kind of knife do I want for cutting like thick squash and poo poo? I have a beat-up $10 santoku but it's too small and seems dangerous otherwise.

I love my Nakiri for those jobs.

Victorinox 8in or 10in Chefs Knife if youre looking for something more affordable or multipurpose to replace your Santoku.

Phone posting right now, but theres also a dedicated knife thread if you want more specific opinions.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah I love my victorinox fibrox for that sort of thing - it's getting on to 10 years old now, still going strong (and nice and easy to sharpen)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

We grow oregano at the house and one excellent addition to my pretty plain american mayo/ mustard potato salad is using a lot of fresh oregano, it really elevates it a lot more than i expected. Also making a homemade mayo helps too imo.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
What do you call a volumetric measurement in english when you fill the measure in question and then use a knife, or finger or whatever to get rid of the excess, so there's no mound left? Like this

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

His Divine Shadow posted:

What do you call a volumetric measurement in english when you fill the measure in question and then use a knife, or finger or whatever to get rid of the excess, so there's no mound left? Like this

A level x-spoon?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Using measuring spoons correctly

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, if I wanted to name it specifically to distinguish it I would call it (using a teaspoon as an example in all this) a "level teaspoon," but that is assumed to be the default usage. A "heaping teaspoon" is when you just scoop a bunch out and don't level it, and a "scant teaspoon" is not filling the bowl of the spoon all the way.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm very good at the spoons, since I grew up using them, but holy poo poo this one place where weighing things in grams is just way better.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm very good at the spoons, since I grew up using them, but holy poo poo this one place where weighing things in grams is just way better.

General Questions Thread: I'm very good at the spoons

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

alnilam posted:

General Questions Thread: I'm very good at the spoons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOXB7348RPk

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Level vs. Heaping

EDIT: beaten

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
^^^Thanks to everyone!

guppy posted:

Yeah, if I wanted to name it specifically to distinguish it I would call it (using a teaspoon as an example in all this) a "level teaspoon," but that is assumed to be the default usage. A "heaping teaspoon" is when you just scoop a bunch out and don't level it, and a "scant teaspoon" is not filling the bowl of the spoon all the way.

In swedish it would called a "struket mtt" and the overfilled would be called a "rgat mtt". I was actually doing a translation of something and that term is used and I have no idea what to call it in english to denote the tablespoon in question is like that. I couldn't find the term in English and was going a bit crazy over it.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I ended up using:

Russet Potato (cause I had them and they were about to go bad)
finely diced shallot
finely diced celery
black pepper
paprika
mayo
vinegar
dijon mustard

and it's honestly pretty drat good. learned some lessons and came away with good food. win/win

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Desert Bus posted:

I ended up using:

Russet Potato (cause I had them and they were about to go bad)
finely diced shallot
finely diced celery
black pepper
paprika
mayo
vinegar
dijon mustard

and it's honestly pretty drat good. learned some lessons and came away with good food. win/win

This sounds v close to my typical recipe which I just eyeball in everything tbh. Only thing different is I like gold potatoes, add a lot of green onion and fresh oregano (and chives if they are growing out front) and boiled egg chunks. It's always good.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

That Works posted:

This sounds v close to my typical recipe which I just eyeball in everything tbh. Only thing different is I like gold potatoes, add a lot of green onion and fresh oregano (and chives if they are growing out front) and boiled egg chunks. It's always good.

Yeah I eyeballed everything and my dill was bad and soggy. Def need to use better potatoes. For a first go at potato salad it turned out really well. Excited to see how much better I can make it.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I have a lot of Imposter Syndrome when it comes to cooking. I always think i'm gonna gently caress it up because I don't know how to make food. And i still do sometimes. This was a win and i'm gonna take it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there's "learn how to do fiddly thing if everything goes right" learning and there's "learn 10,000 ways to fail and how to unfuck 9,000 of them" learning. daily cooking is better served by the second kind

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

I have a lot of Imposter Syndrome when it comes to cooking. I always think i'm gonna gently caress it up because I don't know how to make food. And i still do sometimes. This was a win and i'm gonna take it.

Hey while you're here celebrating mind explaining what you were talking about here:

Desert Bus posted:

At my favorite pizza place the owner decided that anchovies could no longer be offered as a side, even though they're perfectly safe. I double checked to make sure they were still the same perfectly safe anchovies and not like raw uncured ones. Yep the same.

I just ordered my normal pizza and then got a 6" pizza with no sauce, no cheese, and double anchovy on it. Costs a lot more and I bet they gently caress it up. Gonna loving smell up their whole restaurant and the delivery driver's car.

So they got 1 star Google and Yelp reviews where I called out the owner by name for being a dumbass. Unsurprisingly they've been getting a lot of other negative reviews lately too.

I genuinely do not understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

-Samuel Beckett