Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Last year, Kickstarter held an event called Zinequest, calling on new and experienced rpg designers to publish a drug-related zine in February. In February 2020, ZineQuest is back.
This year, the rules are (still) simple, with one notable change. Your campaign now have a maximum life of two weeks.

quote:

• Zines must either contain an RPG or feature RPG-related content, like maps, adventures, monsters, comics, articles, and/or interviews.

• Zines must be 5.5” x 8.5” (A5) or smaller.

• Zines must feature one-color printing. Think beyond black ink, or consider printing on colorful paper.

• Zines must be unbound, folded, stapled, or saddle-stitched. No hard cover or perfect binding allowed.

• Campaigns should last no more than two weeks. Keep your project small and doable. In two weeks, you could launch another zine, or just look back proudly on a job well done.

To participate in 2020, you gotta do three things: launch a campaign with a two-week funding period, launch it between February 2nd and 29th, and send an email to kickstarter when you do.

2019 saw some incredible launches, including these three totally rad projects:

CASKET Land
Project We Love
$21,722 pledged of $2,500 goal
1,399 backers

You wrap your bandana around your mouth as you bolt towards the general store. The dust is coming hard and fast, and today is not the day you drown in it. You burst through the doors, slamming them shut before the loud blast of dust blackens the windows.

Something is wrong. More wrong than usual. As you cough and spit mud, your dry eyes scan what’s left of your settlement. The Grave Diggers, the stench of decay clinging to their clothes, huddle together next to the Undertaker and their own sharp, chemical stink and sallow skin. The Preacher eyes you and mouths empty prayers. The Barber, Drifter, and Gambler surround the Barback, drinking as though the poison they swallow will be the last liquid to ever pass their lips.

You grab a seat - and though there are more empty chairs than filled ones Loam, the Wrapped Madman of the Northern Hill, claims the seat next to you.

Your skin itches and burns. Loam’s heady scent of brush sage and secrets twisting your thoughts and memories. He reaches impossibly deep into his poncho and removes a tattered black book. The journal of Loam. His brittle fingers struggle for purchase on the page - the wrappings that cover them long since rendered useless by the air and sun - but he finally finds the prophecy he’s been searching for…

“It will get worse.”

A Pound of Flesh
$43,209 pledged of $500 goal
1,286 backers
A Pound of Flesh is a toolkit for building your own run-down, back-water, black market space station for the Mothership Sci-Fi Horror RPG. And all in a compact zine format.

A Pound of Flesh is a brand new module for the Mothership Sci-Fi Horror RPG. It's largely centered around the notorious space station, Prospero's Dream, a grimy and sprawling outer-rim black marketplace where mercenaries and raiders rub elbows with spooks and slickscreen stars. The Dream is a cramped city-sized criminal haven where anything can be bought or sold and any crew can find well paying work (if they're willing to get their hands dirty). Written by Donn Stroud and others, with art & layout by Sean McCoy.

Girl Underground
$16,243 pledged of $500 goal
1,531 backers

Girl Underground is a tabletop roleplaying game for 3–5 players about a curious girl in a wondrous world, inspired by Alice in Wonderland, Labyrinth, The Wizard of Oz, Spirited Away and similar tales.

Follow a young girl’s journey of self-discovery through a whimsical fantasy land with the friends she meets along the way. Explore twisted, willowy woods filled with whisper-soft lies, or tricky fairy rings with riddling promises on the way to overthrow an unjust ruler, like the possessive Crowing King or the deceptive Mask Mage.

The game uses a simple system built on the Apocalypse Engine—the same foundation for popular games Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts, and Night Witches.

I have a question... it's really more of a comment

Price Points
Last year, many projects had a price point of $5 for a digital copy and $12 for a physical copy. Others didn't.

When do I have to have this finished?
Up to you, but transparency is best. One of the projects I backed last year just made it to DTRPG last week.

What else?
Download the ZineQuest 2 logo pack here

Note: Kickstarter says "In order to use this material you must follow the rules on Kickstarter's Brand Assets page"

Upcoming Goon Projects

See the second post for a consolidated list!

Last year 108 authors (including yours truly) kickstarted a ZineQuest project. What are you waiting for?
This is our thread. Get writing.

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
This year, goons are writing:

quote:

LIFTS: Powered by Your ABpocalypse Edition
LIFTS: Powered by Your ABpocalypse Edition is the sequel to the 2019 smash hit exercise RPG, featuring all new mechanics and game supplements.
By slap me and kiss me
LIFTS: Powered by Your ABpocalypse Edition is the blockbuster sequel role-playing game about becoming and being strong. This might seem intimidating at first, but it’s a game you can play no matter your physical ability. In fact, progression is built right in: the more you play games based on LIFTS: Powered by Your ABpocalypse Edition, the better at it you’ll become! Vol. 2 uses a radically new engine - Powered by the ABpocalypse, and will include supplements like Atrophy Makes You Happy, Citizen, Quadfinder (a totally unique and original spin on last year's Deadlifts and Dragons), Bromethean, Squats Without Number, and In the Name of the Moon, I Will Punish My Abs!.

Page count ~36
Goes Live Feb 4th, 2020
URL https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/korvidae-games/lifts-powered-by-your-abpocalypse-edition

potatocubed posted:

SUNLANDS: A HEXCRAWL ZINE
A system-agnostic hexcrawl for your favourite fantasy TTRPG
By CHRIS LONGHURST
Sunlands is a system-agnostic hexcrawl zine, intended for use with your favourite fantasy roleplaying game. There's a map, a brief overview, and over three hundred hexes of STUFF for players to encounter, fight, befriend, betray, murder, loot, or run the hell away from. All in 32 pages (give or take -- I haven't done the layout yet) and for a price best described as 'beans'.

Page count ~32 pages
Goes Live 18th Feb 2020
URL Kickstarter preview

Mirage posted:

[image goes here]

ALL SKATE: THE RPG
A fantasy TTRPG system for 3+ players
By Chris "Mirage" Casey
Three mighty adventurers. A wild world of treasure and peril. A system where the players are also the gamemasters, any player can play as any character, and the story grows like a live thing. In this collaborantagonistic system, players build maps, add challenges, and run the characters, all at the same time. Includes a diverse bestiary of monsters, traps, and other strange twists which players can drop on the heads of their characters.

Page count 32 pages
Goes Live ... sometime in February
URL URL's a'comin' too

Liquid Communism posted:

Blue Moon: A Cyberpunk 'Zine for the Information Age
A Cyberpunk Retro RPG 'Zine about the importance of dystopian play in a world that is more and more resembling classic cyberpunk's fears.
By Liquid Communism
A cyberpunk TTRPG gaming 'zine, leading with a rant short essay on what cyberpunk means in a time when many of the old cyberpunk tropes are true in our daily lives, and following with a pair of system-agnostic cyberpunk adventures written around modern ideas twisted in classic high tech low life style.
Stretch goals include a write-up on advice for how to run security without being a joke or an inevitable bloodbath, a roll-your-own-run table set, as well as the top-end Just Pay The Creators More.

Page Count~24 pages
Goes Live ~18 Feb 2020
URL URL preview or live URL pending approval by KS.

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

MYCELIUM and Other Horrors
Four allergen-based incursions for Trophy Dark, presented by The Gauntlet.
By Tristan Jusola-Sanders
Decay. Crawling through the mud and rot for a chance at absolution...

Fungus. Soft roots grow through your body, holding you back from the secrets of life...

Mold. A thin layer of fuzz covers a book of secrets too terrible to bear...

Pollen. Something stalks you on your journey to the temple, choking the air from you with its presence...

This is
MYCELIUM and Other Horrors.
Page Count 32 pages
Goes Live Feb. 2nd
URL https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tknyarlathotep/mycelium-and-other-horrors-4-incursions-for-trophy-dark-rpg

Meinberg posted:

THE NEW TALES OF OZ
A lightweight game set in L Frank Baum's Land of Oz
By Midsummer Meinberg
The New Tales of Oz brings to life the vision and spirit of fun of L. Frank Baum's classic series with the aid of a lightweight, playing-card based system and the wonderful illustrations from the first edition of the books.
Page Count 32 pages
Goes Live Going live on February 11
URL Preview Here

madadric posted:

QUEST SQUIRES: Rebuilded
A collaborative "restoration" of an 80s classic.
By Adrian Thoen & Paul "Ettin" Matijevic
QUEST SQUIRES is an RPG setting zine, presented as a fan-led restoration of a popular 80s fantasy heartbreaker. In reality it's being written by us with suggestions from backers, who "remember" what QUEST SQUIRES was like by sending writing prompts and voting in polls. T.R.R. Quigley's original RPG may be lost to time & the vicissitudes of faulty wiring insulation, but we will resurrect the world he crafted, with your help!

The idea for this zine was inspired by this thread

Page count 30 pages
Goes Live anticipated date 09/02/2020
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madadric/quest-squires

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 6, 2020

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Currently my options are looking like:
  1. Fleet, a magical-realist writing game of couriers crossing vast and strange lands to deliver messages to a once-beloved home that becomes increasingly distant and alien with the ever-longer passage of time. 2-4 players; writing game; works well in PbP and probably in short campaigns (maybe 3-4 sessions), but not one-shots. About half the rules (the world-building/changing half) are very solid and just need tweaks and the other half (connections between the characters and their home) need tightening up and filling out. There's a PbP playtest on hiatus here, though the rules are a little outdated; I'm also running a Twitter solo play-through here at a rate of one turn per day (slightly off due to a couple days' lull at the end of December).

2. an unnamed Subnautica-inspired game - I say that, but it's not survival, it's a game of science where you play a research expedition to an alien world, exploring vivid impressionistic lands and unintentionally polluting or changing the course of the ecosystem, arguing over scientific discoveries, getting involved in petty drama or serious threats to the expedition, and influencing the course of action your looming sponsors take. 2-5 players; map-game; multi-layered in which each new layer can be added to the layers within to form a larger game - starting with the moment-to-moment exploration and wonder and danger, then the debate, argument, and drama, then dealing with the long shadow of your sponsors' machinations. I was kind of stuck on some of it until I did my 2019 200-word rpg challenge Dirty Papers, which resolved a lot of my questions about how the second layer of the game should look.

3. an unnamed supernatural British folk horror game where you play a group of locals and rural police officers investigating strange mysteries that may be eldritch, mundane, or both, building Ordnance Survey maps of the beautiful, dismal, and weird countryside on which you slowly piece together the truth. 2-5 players; map-game; basically a more advanced form of my existing game SONAR GHOSTS with more advanced map mechanics (coming in an updated version) and actual character mechanics, particularly affecting what you see in the world and why. The farmer sees different to the officer sees different to the fisher sees different to the artist sees different to the priest sees different to the... and all their worlds overlap and seep or bleed into one another.
These are all on my to-do list for this year, and depending on how long I give myself to fulfil this year, I could get any of them from their current state to something fully designed and tested that I'd be happy publishing. I think I'd be looking at 2-3 dozen pages for any of them by that point.

Fleet's definitely the closest to being done (not just because it actually has a name), though it still needs more refinement and testing. That said, it's the least flexible and least conventional of the three.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 4, 2020

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

All of these sound really cool! My best advice is run with the game that you think has the best hook for interest.

24-36 pages sounds like a great sweet-spot. Do you have anyone in mind for art?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

slap me and kiss me posted:

All of these sound really cool! My best advice is run with the game that you think has the best hook for interest.

24-36 pages sounds like a great sweet-spot. Do you have anyone in mind for art?
For some, yeah. It'll be the first time I'll budget for and commission visual art for a game - everything I've done so far I made from scratch or from edited royalty-free photos or clipart.

Fleet: I've got someone in mind (haven't approached them, though, so who knows :v: ). They mainly use charcoal and similar media, which would work fine printed on the probably-pale interior pages, but not so much on a deeply-coloured cover. Either I'd have to go with a paler cover or use lineart, powerful lettering, and/or very expressive borders. If you know anyone who does art with a similar style to Necropolis...

Scientific expedition game: I'm not sure one-colour printing would suit the art I'd be going for. Right now I'm kind of torn on the aesthetic - on the one hand there's the kind of 'realistic' alien ecology that people like Wayne Barlowe or Alex Riesart do - on the other hand it could easily go simpler, more vibrant, and a bit cartoonish. The main thing I want to avoid is a pulp sci-fi or a used future look... which are coincidentally the things that'd probably look a lot better than these in one colour.

Folk horror game: Could easily be the same person as above for Fleet (well, there's a growing wellspring of folk horror, urban legend, and cryptid artists online right now), but I could easily fill in a lot of the art needs with fragments of fake or edited OS cartography that I could do myself, plus pay someone (or multiple people) to make some fragments of a variety of more informal/folk maps. I don't have anyone in mind for that yet, though.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Alright, I'm in.

But I'm going to do a proper zine: none of this glossy, high-production-values nonsense. It's going to be rough-and-ready, it's going to be slightly wonky, and it's going to be dirt cheap. All art will be done by me, which means it will be bad.

I'm thinking a system-agnostic hexcrawl, with maybe actual game stats for whatever I come up with as stretch goals.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Not gonna lie, I'm tempted to do absolutely everything myself too (which I've done for hardcopies of games I've playtested before), but it'd also be nice to have a fancy physical product too.

But, to be more true to the zine, you have to find a genuine public library photocopier left over from the 1970s and photocopy your pages on that.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah. A public library photocopier I can do, but I think it's a modern one.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
A 1970s public library photocopier is a decent approach, but true zining occurs when you produce on the work printer after hours without permission.

Tibalt posted:

One of my goals for the coming year was to finish a few projects and ideas for projects that I had for a few years now. As part of that, I'd like to bring to fruition a game about a group of damned individuals with supernatural powers who are at the tail end of the Faustian bargain. It seems like a good fit for Zine Quest - the rules are simple, there isn't a lot background or setting information, and it would probably work best as a novelty one-shot or short campaign. I still need to edit the text into a coherent final form, and after that commission some artwork and figure out the layout, so things are very much in the early stages.

I'm worried about two things, and I'm hoping to get some guidance from posters here:
1.) Does anybody have any guides, instructions, or layouts for publishing a zine they'd like to share? I've started doing my own research, of course, but if anybody has anything they think would be helpful I'd appreciate it. The only zine I've ever published was 50 copies of a hand-written zine photocopied back in High School, and while that has a certain appeal, I don't think it's the right way to go for this.

2.) Does anybody have any advice on running a Zine Quest kickstarter? I've started looking at various kickstarters from the last round, and while I've noticed a few things, I'd really appreciate any insight people could offer on running a kickstarter as someone with no real credibility or notoriety.

I'll probably try and present some of my work here for feedback before Zine Quest 2 kicks off as well.

Stolen from the other thread, here's my advice, based on last my zine from last year, LIFTS. I went into it with zero credibility and no real following, and wound up with a cool 230 customers.

1) Unless you're doing a DIY zine in Word and a home printer, you want to get yourself a template for your fav. publishing software so that printers can create your product. DTRPG has an A5 template you can grab.

2) Plan plan plan. Figure out how howe many pages, figure out how you'll produce your zines, figure out how you'll spread the word.

Figure out who you want to contribute - are you doing this alone, will you want help with art or layout?

Figure out a plan for creating and promoting the kickstarter - you only have two weeks to run the campaign, so there's no time to come up with a plan mid-stream.

Most of all, figure out a budget in advance - what do you need to pay for, how much will it cost, figure out fees and taxes, and make sure that you can do this all without it being a loss.

Distribution:

You have two options - print and mail yourself, or drop-ship
If you're doing #1, use the postage calculator of your national postal service
If you're doing #2, find your publisher (lulu, dtrpg, etc), and use their estimator

I spent over $500 just on postage last year, so make sure you account for costs in advance.

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 4, 2020

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I appreciate the answers, slap me and kiss me. I'm not sure about a promotion plan for the kickstarter, so that's something I'll need to think about.

I'm thinking about hitting two birds with one stone by running a semi-public playtest, but getting a presentable rough draft together and organizing a playtest in 1 or 2 months seems like too much.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Tibalt posted:

I appreciate the answers, slap me and kiss me. I'm not sure about a promotion plan for the kickstarter, so that's something I'll need to think about.

I'm thinking about hitting two birds with one stone by running a semi-public playtest, but getting a presentable rough draft together and organizing a playtest in 1 or 2 months seems like too much.

Promotion is going to be really important - if your plan is to post the kickstarter, send a tweet, and wait for the backers to roll in, you'll be hyper disappointed. My campaign last year ran for three weeks, and I had at minimum 1-2 social posts a day + engagement in RPG communities across the internet. Without that sort of planning - and promotion in advance too - there's not a chance I would have even recouped my initial pre-production investment in art and content.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm working up something for this as well. A little book on cyberpunk gaming in the Information Age, and why dystopian games are important even when the real world is more and more taking on aspects of a cyberpunk dystopia. Figure a rant, a couple adventures with intentionally lovely hand-scrawled maps, and maybe a GM advice article or two like The Knowlessman's Guide To Corporate Security that lays out how to challenge players without creating a murderhobo expectation or ensuring a bloodbath.

Could put together a quick and dirty system to go with it, but I think I'm going to leave that aside for now and kick it into shape later as I'd want a lot more playtesting than something I expect to roll out this calendar year would give.

Not sure if it'll fund, because I don't know how big an audience that stuff has in 2020, but it's something I feel strongly enough about to do work on and mostly only want to kinda break even on.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 5, 2020

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Just started work on mine and I think I criminally underestimated how much work it was going to be.

Welp.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
My experience was that it's an enormous pile of work. Do you have a page count in mind?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'm aiming for 32. I figured I could knock out 32 pages pretty quickly.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Thirty two is a bigass project. Definitely not just a couple days of work. Good luck!

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Cover sketches in today. drat did I pick the right artist

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

So how long after the end of the kickstarter would people expect their zines?

I've been pondering a little Wizard's menagerie supplement, and honestly, doing it as a single colour zine would cut down my art load significantly.

re: goal for Kickstarter what things do I need to consider

1. Cost of print run - get quote from local print/copy shop. How many copies do to?
2. Time and materials for myself? - should I work out an hourly cost, or do a /word /art cost?
3. Time and cost of post and packing

Stretch goals?
- maybe a limited number of 'your pet as a potential familiar' spots?
- 1-5 fully hand coloured copies?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Apart from the other stuff you're budgeting your Kickstarter for, remember also:

• You'll lose about 10% of your total to KS and credit card fees.
  • You'll want a buffer for unexpected expenses. I use 10% as a rule of thumb.
  • You'll have to pay taxes on any income left over after you pay for stuff.

And then there's a whole load of complexity based around adding shipping costs to the pledge levels.

Like, a print copy of Sunlands is going to be £5. But shipping that to the US is going to cost ~£6. So each US backer advances me £11 towards funding. If Sunlands funds at £308 with nothing but 28 US backers then I'm going to get ~£270 after fees, of which I'm already committed to paying £168 in shipping. So I get about £100 for my efforts.

If I fund entirely based on pdf backers (total shipping cost £0) then I get to keep the whole £270.

For a zine where you're doing all the work yourself, this isn't a huge deal -- you won't lose money if the only person you owe is you, although you might end up egregiously underpaid for your work. But it's something to be aware of.

Budgeting Kickstarters is an art form unto itself, which I largely muddle through by assuming the worst at every step and being pleasantly surprised when they cost less than I expected.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
(Hopefully) launching Feb. 10th I'll be launching the Kickstarter for MYCELIUM and Other Horrors: 4 Incursions for Trophy Dark RPG, based on allergens and personal fears. This is my first ever Kickstarter and I'm taking the advice in this thread to heart. Honestly I'm petrified with worry. Just scared shitless I won't succeed. Hhtrhgnrg.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
All y'all fill this out, I'll throw it into the second post.

quote:

image url
NAME OF ZINE
135 characters describing your game
By YOUR NAME
paragraph of description
Page count
Goes Live anticipated date
URL preview or live URL

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 13, 2020

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

SUNLANDS: A HEXCRAWL ZINE
A system-agnostic hexcrawl for your favourite fantasy TTRPG
By CHRIS LONGHURST

Sunlands is a system-agnostic hexcrawl zine, intended for use with your favourite fantasy roleplaying game. There's a map, a brief overview, and over three hundred hexes of STUFF for players to encounter, fight, befriend, betray, murder, loot, or run the hell away from. All in 32 pages (give or take -- I haven't done the layout yet) and for a price best described as 'beans'.

~32 pages
Going live 18th Feb 2020
Kickstarter preview

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 22, 2020

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Ahh, what the hell.

ALL SKATE FANTASY: THE RPG
A fantasy TTRPG system for 3+ players
By Chris "Mirage" Casey

Three mighty adventurers. A wild world of treasure and peril. A system where the players are also the gamemasters, any player can play as any character, and the story grows like a live thing. In this collaborantagonistic system, players build maps, add challenges, and run the characters, all at the same time. Includes a diverse bestiary of monsters, traps, and other strange twists which players can drop on the heads of their characters.

32 pages
Going live Feb 18
URL: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/miragex/all-skate-fantasy-the-rpg

Mirage fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 11, 2020

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Updated.

potatocubed, your print zine is too cheap! Hit at least USD$12

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Blue Moon: A Cyberpunk 'Zine for the Information Age
A Cyberpunk Retro RPG 'Zine about the importance of dystopian play in a world that is more and more resembling classic cyberpunk's fears.
By Liquid Communism

A cyberpunk TTRPG gaming 'zine, leading with a rant short essay on what cyberpunk means in a time when many of the old cyberpunk tropes are true in our daily lives, and following with a pair of system-agnostic cyberpunk adventures written around modern ideas twisted in classic high tech low life style.

Stretch goals include a write-up on advice for how to run security without being a joke or an inevitable bloodbath, a roll-your-own-run table set, as well as the top-end Just Pay The Creators More.

~24 pages

Goes Live ~18 Feb 2020

URL preview or live URL pending approval by KS.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 14, 2020

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Updated.

Here's my thinking behind prices:

£300 buys about 20 hours of my work at £15/hour. I usually budget based on the assumption that I'll sell about 100 copies of whatever, so the base price is £3. The price to print a copy of a 32-page A5 zine is a bit less than £2, going down as the print run goes up. Hence, £5. Plus shipping, which is added to the pledge.

Having said that, now that I've done some work on this thing I think that 20 hours is lowballing it; I'll probably need to revise the prices upwards some. I'll work that out as I go.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Updated.

I'm probably missing the point here but £11 is just over $14USD. If you're targeting US customers I'd round that up to $15USD. Pigsmoke was a steal for the £10 I kickstarted it for.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, I definitely underpriced Pigsmoke. In my defence it was my first KS and I was utterly convinced that it would go 100% of nowhere. I mean, who wants a game about wizard academics? (Loads of people, it turns out.)

In Zinequest news, I started sketching out some pictures and... I can't in good conscience put that in anything. Hoo boy. I'm going to need a different approach.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, Pigsmoke was a hell of a value for the production values it brought.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm probably missing the point here but £11 is just over $14USD. If you're targeting US customers I'd round that up to $15USD. Pigsmoke was a steal for the £10 I kickstarted it for.

I missed the + six pounds for shipping and thought it was all going for five.

Still, pay yourself by the word, and give yourself at least 0.20/word.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Get INNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.gif

https://twitter.com/blue_troller/status/1217921553624641552?s=20

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've done my pricing and it looks pretty similar to Potatocubed's.

How do you take the extra money for shipping later?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Angrymog posted:

I've done my pricing and it looks pretty similar to Potatocubed's.

How do you take the extra money for shipping later?

Backerkit and gumshoe are two things I've heard of people using. Any reason you don't want to collect as part of the campaign?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Backerkit and gumshoe are two things I've heard of people using. Any reason you don't want to collect as part of the campaign?

Well, just because that doesn't seem to be how its done? And whats to stop someone in the US paying for a UK one, then getting shirty when you refund them or ask for more money?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I think most times people do external shipping, it's because they're shipping giant boxes of specialty stuff. Your zine will essentially be letter mail.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

MYCELIUM and Other Horrors
Four allergen-based incursions for Trophy Dark, presented by The Gauntlet.
By Tristan Jusola-Sanders
Decay. Crawling through the mud and rot for a chance at absolution...

Fungus. Soft roots grow through your body, holding you back from the secrets of life...

Mold. A thin layer of fuzz covers a book of secrets too terrible to bear...

Pollen. Something stalks you on your journey to the temple, choking the air from you with its presence...

This is
MYCELIUM and Other Horrors.
32 pages
Goes Live Feb. 2nd
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tknyarlathotep/mycelium-and-other-horrors-4-incursions-for-trophy-dark-rpg

sasha_d3ath fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 22, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I think most times people do external shipping, it's because they're shipping giant boxes of specialty stuff. Your zine will essentially be letter mail.

I mean how do you collect the money for shipping? It doesn't seem to be included in the tiers on things, and how do you stop people just picking a cheaper location then getting lovely at you.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
In 2019 I paid for shipping out if kickstarter income without charging anything extra. This time I've got a fee for shipping to canada and a shipping rate to the rest of the world.

If someone tries to be lovely I am not going to care, because again, the shipping on a piece of international letter mail like a zine is maybe two dollars more than domestic and honestly who cares about a two dollar difference?

Corby Haas
Jul 29, 2015
This thread and this concept excites me and I wish all of you the best of luck with your Kickers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
There's two ways of doing shipping costs.

In Kickstarter
Go to your reward in the KS backstage editor, edit it (or create it) and scroll down almost to the bottom. There's the shipping section, third from the end -- go with 'no shipping' for digital products, or select as appropriate for physical products. That should create a sub-list with 'rest of world' and a cost you can set.

If you want to get detailed you can add different shipping costs for different countries, but the way I do it is to split it between 'domestic' and 'other' then bump the price of 'other' a bit so that people who live in e.g. Europe end up subsidising the people who live in e.g. South Africa.

Anyway, you should end up looking at something like this:

The way this works in practice is that backers are asked to specify a country when they back, then their pledge is adjusted to pledge level + shipping cost.

As far as I know there's nothing to stop people from choosing a cheaper location and stiffing you on shipping costs. That's just a risk. You can check the delivery addresses they give versus the shipping they paid once the KS is over if you like, but as slap me and kiss me said -- in the case of zines worth a handful of dollars it's probably not worth getting lovely over it.

(In the case of board games and the like, where the difference in shipping is substantial, I'd be inclined to be more rigourous.)

Backerkit
Using a post-campaign pledge manager is almost certainly not worth it for a small-scale thing like Zinequest, but in case anyone looks to this post for advice in the future:

Set all your shipping in KS to 'no shipping' and make it clear everywhere you can in the campaign that shipping will be charged later. Some people will still get shirty with you about it, but if they don't pay they don't get, so.

Then follow all the instructions the PCPM gives you. I found Backerkit pretty easy to set up just clicking through the screens and following the prompts, and where I did run into trouble the campaign manager assigned to my account was very helpful.

There's more security with Backerkit regarding people trying to stiff you on postage, though, since they require you to enter an address then tell you how much you need to pony up. You can try to fool them with a cheaper address, but then that's where your stuff gets sent and you end up with nothing.