Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Thanks, potatocubed, I've only used KS as a shopper before, so your advice is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'll be honest, I'm just generously estimating my shipping costs so that if people screw me on shipping I have a buffer.

Probably still going to get hosed when the idiot in chief somehow screws up our mail rates between end of campaign and mailing, but nothing I can do about that.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm not running this one, but I am helping out a lot. It's called Winter Harvest, by Kate Jeanne. She's an awesome new designer who's been a big help with Americana amongst other stuff.

Winter Harvest is a game inspired by books like Redwall, Brambly Hedge, and Rats of NIHM. The basic gist is that you play as a collective of small woodland creatures trying to solve problems your community faces throughout the year. The big gimmick is the final phase of play is based around a winter feast, where players are supposed to eat a big meal together while playing out the winter months, hopefully safe in their well-supplied and comfortable burrow. It's a really charming book, and I'm hoping they get enough to do the Winter Harvest Cookbook add-on, where they'll be including old recipes from Kate's family and others on the team.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/parrycat/681980628?ref=7k4wck&token=bfa47e6a - here's the preview link!

Also, I wrote this up a lil while ago, maybe it'll help some of y'all with your projects if it's your first time! - https://medium.com/@sandypuggames/7-questions-i-get-asked-about-kickstarter-40de67a89db1

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
guess who didn't know this thread was a thing lol

Could someone describe the process of how a project gets includes in the official Kickstarter ZineQuest promotion? Also, where I should slather on those logos?

THE NEW TALES OF OZ
A lightweight game set in L Frank Baum's Land of Oz
By Midsummer Meinberg
The New Tales of Oz brings to life the vision and spirit of fun of L. Frank Baum's classic series with the aid of a lightweight, playing-card based system and the wonderful illustrations from the first edition of the books.
32 pages
Going live on February 11

Preview Here

Meinberg fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 1, 2020

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Okay, y'all. Get any updates you want to your posts today, I'm going to dump all of our links into the kickstarter thread this evening in one big megadump.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Going to switch my link to the actual landing page for the kickstarter, rather than the preview-for-feedback page

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
That happens automagically

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

slap me and kiss me posted:

That happens automagically

I mean more for this pre-launch phase, the feedback page is a bit clunky and can be a bit intimidating in my experience.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Ugh, mine isn't ready yet, even for previewing. I am doing this, though. I'll, uh, I'll catch up.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Mirage posted:

Ugh, mine isn't ready yet, even for previewing. I am doing this, though. I'll, uh, I'll catch up.

I believe in you!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Okay, y'all. Get any updates you want to your posts today, I'm going to dump all of our links into the kickstarter thread this evening in one big megadump.

I ACCIDENTALLY LAUNCHED MINE AT 1 AM BECAUSE I'M A FOOL, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I thought it could launch at any point in Feb, not the just first/second? I was planning a mid-feb launch

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Technically it can, but I'm wondering about the strategic value thereof.

Like, I was going to launch on the 18th, but will everybody be bored of Zinequest by then? Will they have spent all their money?

But also I think the later you leave it in the month the less ZQ competition you'll have. Is that correct? Does it matter?

I don't have the answers to any of these questions.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
If you leave it until the end of the month people might factor the cost into next month’s budget, I guess?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Last year I launched toward the end of February and did pretty well for myself. Only thing I'd say is that kickstarter might get sick of awarding "projects we love" tags by then.

Also, I can't wait to drop my Squats Without Number spaceship rules on people.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm looking like a late Feb if ever launch, because work has decided to put me in a deadbrain position this month.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

QUEST SQUIRES: Rebuilded
A collaborative "restoration" of an 80s classic.
By Adrian Thoen & Paul "Ettin" Matijevic
QUEST SQUIRES is an RPG setting zine, presented as a fan-led restoration of a popular 80s fantasy heartbreaker. In reality it's being written by us with suggestions from backers, who "remember" what QUEST SQUIRES was like by sending writing prompts and voting in polls. T.R.R. Quigley's original RPG may be lost to time & the vicissitudes of faulty wiring insulation, but we will resurrect the world he crafted, with your help!

The idea for this zine was inspired by this thread

Page count 30 pages
Goes Live anticipated date 09/02/2020
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madadric/quest-squires

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I've never run a Kickstarter before. Didn't expect that several-day vetting period at the end, there.

Anyway, ALL SKATE FANTASY: The RPG officially launches next Tuesday. Eek. I'll be sprucing up my launch page some more in the meantime. Artwork, gotta get more artwork ...

Updated my previous post with more detail. Promo page here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/miragex/all-skate-fantasy-the-rpg

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

The New Tales of Oz is live!

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Just hit my first stretch goal at $3450, which means I get to double pay - $0.40/word for my guest author, and a pile more for my artist!@

Thanks for the support, goons!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Just hit my first stretch goal at $3450, which means I get to double pay - $0.40/word for my guest author, and a pile more for my artist!@

Thanks for the support, goons!

I'm looking forward to having you give my copy a workout!

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm looking forward to having you give my copy a workout!

YEEEEEEEEEE you are such a boss. I'm singling you out for thanks!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Winter Harvest is now live! I'm not running this one but my partner and very close friend is. They've put a ton of work into this and are super hyped for their first big project. It's a kind of redwall meets moomin's game about community that aims to scratch that "Oh to be a small mouse living inside a tree stump making tiny delicious bread buns to give to my friend Mr Owl who runs the local library" itch. I really like how you can swap between characters to build the community through personalities. The fact that the game ends with an IRL feast is cute, and there's a stretch goal where Kate will collect old family recipes from everyone involved for a little forest cookbook. Super cute, check it out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/parrycat/winter-harvest

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I started to put together my campaign today, and discovered that if you want Kickstarter to collect your shipping money, it's added to the pledge amount. I'd intended £500 not including shipping, but since I don't know where people will be buying from, I have no idea how to calculate what I should actually set the goal at. Worst case is all 100 copies go to the states, which would be £600 using potatocube's figures.

One for the UK people - if posting something like a zine to the states, would you send it large letter or printed papers (more expensive), and can you get pre-printed sticker sheets for customs declarations?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Man, Kickstarter is a bit confusing. Didn't realize that I had to specifically turn on pre-launch sharing to get comments.

Oh well, experience for next time.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Angrymog posted:

I started to put together my campaign today, and discovered that if you want Kickstarter to collect your shipping money, it's added to the pledge amount. I'd intended £500 not including shipping, but since I don't know where people will be buying from, I have no idea how to calculate what I should actually set the goal at. Worst case is all 100 copies go to the states, which would be £600 using potatocube's figures.

One for the UK people - if posting something like a zine to the states, would you send it large letter or printed papers (more expensive), and can you get pre-printed sticker sheets for customs declarations?

I feel like I should be able to contribute to this, but for some reason I'm having a huge mental block about it.

Let me work through it here...

If I want to compensate myself at least £450 then I need to ensure that even at the priciest shipping level I make enough profit to get £450. If I set my profit margin on every zine to £3 then I need 150 sales. At +£2 for printing and +£6 for shipping, that's £11 per sale, so I need to set my goal to 150 x £11 = £1650, plus a 10-20% buffer for KS fees and wotnot. Call it a round £2000.

Of course, I've just launched with a goal of £500 because a) I'm banking on getting more e-sales than physical, b) I need the 'small goal, funded early' cachet to drive more sales, c) if it funds I can print more and sell them at cons, and d) I'm an idiot and didn't do this maths until now.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
B is a weakass reason. Sorry.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

ALL SKATE FANTASY: The RPG is now live! I can't stop it, I don't know how it works!

Ever since I ran the first All Skate! game here on SA about 15 (!) years ago, this has been an interesting evolution into the GM-less, No Gods No Masters-type system it's become now. Hopefully I can make the idea resonate with the larger public.

Now the update churn begins ...

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

This has a very very limited appeal but - I run a tabletop RPG game awards thing and ZineQuest 2 looked like so much fun I wanted to take part, so I'm making a yearbook/alumni zine that lists and celebrates every winner of the awards so far.
https://twitter.com/SandyPugGames/status/1230946749495304194

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I just finished drawing this stupid thing for my ZineQuest Kickstarter page and I'm so high on endorphins from finishing it that I can't stop myself from sharing.

It's titled "Despoiling the Temple of the Flaming Rum Punch."

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Mirage posted:

I just finished drawing this stupid thing for my ZineQuest Kickstarter page and I'm so high on endorphins from finishing it that I can't stop myself from sharing.

It's titled "Despoiling the Temple of the Flaming Rum Punch."

That's awesome.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Anyone have a clue on how you're best supposed to ship to the states from the UK? Do you have a do a customs label? Can you get them pre-printed? Is there a customs fee to pay on top? Are you supposed to send it as papers or just as a normal large letter?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I've noticed the Royal Mail website has several options for pre-printed shipping labels, but you might be best just going to your local Post Office and asking what the best way of handling it is. (That's my plan.)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks. Not mine, but I'm writing for it and it has a little over a day to go:

INSIDE OUT: the body horror TTRPG zine
INSIDE OUT will be a body horror TTRPG zine full of game-agnostic body horror modules illustrated with gorgeous horror art.

INSIDE OUT is a resource for body horror in RPGs. It has background information on body horror and how to use it in games, plus some system-agnostic modules/tables/monsters for GMs to use. It's being put together by Shannon Strucci and a bunch of excellent writers and artists (and also myself). Right now it's funded with a bunch of stretch goals, including adding more people and expanding the page count to 30. If it gets pushed a little more it'll increase to 40, then we can get a pay increase and some maps for the modules!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Looks like Blue Moon is not a go this year. Could not get things worked out on the backend to Kickstarter's satisfaction.

Going to rework it and add some more depth, maybe publish it with a game system of its own down the road.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

So, hosed up. Due to not being able to work what to actually set the target at after tmfinding out that Kickstarter counts shipping costs towards the goal, not being sure if I have to use the Printed papera postage option and write up to a 100 customs labels by hand , I stopped trying to get things sorted. Finally started the process again last night, and verification probably isn't going to complete in time.

- Do I launch anyway, even if I miss zinequest?
- Wait till next year?
- Bung my cover artist the base amount I was going to pay him, destroy my own art, and call the whole thing off?

Also I'm really just poo poo at writing exciting ad-copy style text so it's not as if anyone was going to back my thing anyway

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Angrymog posted:

So, hosed up. Due to not being able to work what to actually set the target at after tmfinding out that Kickstarter counts shipping costs towards the goal, not being sure if I have to use the Printed papera postage option and write up to a 100 customs labels by hand , I stopped trying to get things sorted. Finally started the process again last night, and verification probably isn't going to complete in time.

- Do I launch anyway, even if I miss zinequest?
- Wait till next year?
- Bung my cover artist the base amount I was going to pay him, destroy my own art, and call the whole thing off?

Also I'm really just poo poo at writing exciting ad-copy style text so it's not as if anyone was going to back my thing anyway

Launch anyway. The harm is that it doesn't fund, at which point you can try options 2 or 3.
Please post the preview in here, or DM me, I'd be happy to look over the page and help out.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

At this point I'm backing a bunch of these things just because I love zines. I went to a bunch of sci-fi cons in the 70s and early 80s and have a mini-collection of some of the most insane, cock-eyed, amazingly creative game zines you could imagine. It doesn't matter if it's professional or playable or even coherent. If the concept is even slightly intriguing, I'm all in.

I may be an edge case, however.

Two big things I've learned from my own campaign is (a) set the lowest possible goal you can afford and (b) keep your prices low. I made the mistake of blindly following the lead of other popular campaigns, and my own campaign is failing spectacularly because of it. I mean I'm still having fun playing in the flaming wreckage, but ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Mirage posted:

At this point I'm backing a bunch of these things just because I love zines. I went to a bunch of sci-fi cons in the 70s and early 80s and have a mini-collection of some of the most insane, cock-eyed, amazingly creative game zines you could imagine. It doesn't matter if it's professional or playable or even coherent. If the concept is even slightly intriguing, I'm all in.

I may be an edge case, however.

Two big things I've learned from my own campaign is (a) set the lowest possible goal you can afford and (b) keep your prices low. I made the mistake of blindly following the lead of other popular campaigns, and my own campaign is failing spectacularly because of it. I mean I'm still having fun playing in the flaming wreckage, but ...

Don't listen to me though; my campaign is dead dead dead.