Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

:siren: MY FIANCE :siren: and i are tired of being under the boot of lovely landlords, living in spaces too small to support our hobbies and/or firearm collections, and generally want to have space to raise chickens and bees. Possibly at the same time.

And since the BFC thread thinks a 100k AGI is "pretty low" and everyone should have 20% down minimum I come here instead to ask for help understanding the mess of social services (FHA loans, HUD homes, first-time homebuyers counseling, etc) targeted at those of us who only just graduated from living in a punk squat with five other people and a couple bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Buy a van and live in it b*tch. Fill it with bees

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

VROOM VROOM posted:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
the c in c-spam stands for chickens, you've come to the right place

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

PMI kind of sucks but it's not really the end of the god drat world like it gets portrayed so just ignore the people who jerk off about 20% down payments

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

1st things 1st, don’t be poor

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

VROOM VROOM posted:

i suggested that and he said no

he also wouldn't let me buy a boat

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

corgski posted:

i suggested that and he said no

he also wouldn't let me buy a boat

:sever: and live the boat lyfe

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chillgamesh posted:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

youre going to want to move into one of your families rental properties hth

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Chillgamesh posted:

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

it’s called the landowning class for a reason op and ur not in it.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Bootstraps, lots of em

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Move into an abandoned fishing boat in the former suburban Detroit.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

its like what temperature of blood would you like on your hands OP

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
seems like the system is working to me. but seriously so much depends on where you live. my advice is to move to the deep south where you can just buy a house for 12,000 cash. or 3.000 cash if u find the right place.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

how to become a landowner in 3 emojis or less:

🔪👶🏾🩸

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Very carefully

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

use public records to locate a local landowner elder with no living relatives and con them the old fashioned or new fashioned way

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

you could also stalk death announcements to look for someone with a destitute family who needs money to cover the funeral that you can grift

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
bunkers are the only safe housing option in these trying times

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

logikv9 posted:

have you considered trying to talk a bunch of goons into chipping in to buy you an abandoned nuclear silo?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

if I were you I would simply choose to benefit from substantial intergenerational wealth transfer

e: realtalk though it as mentioned before it very much depends on where you live, 100k AGI + no substantial savings can mean anything from easily being able to afford a decent house to needing to make substantial compromises (crackshack in bad location or condo) to being completely priced out of the market

LGD has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Jan 3, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

logikv9 posted:

can i just call antifa hq and requisition one or is there a form to fill out

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Work hard to accumulate good Karma for your next life.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Al! posted:

how to become a landowner in 3 emojis or less:

🔪👶🏾🩸

I misconstrued the instructions and now there are several babies brandishing knives running around on fire chasing me and my cats

help

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

just live on BLM land you moron, you complete idiot

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

The Saucer Hovers posted:

just live on BLM land you moron, you complete idiot

from the native perspective, the united states were well ahead of airbnb gentrification

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

LGD posted:

e: realtalk though it as mentioned before it very much depends on where you live, 100k AGI + no substantial savings can mean anything from easily being able to afford a decent house to needing to make substantial compromises (crackshack in bad location or condo) to being completely priced out of the market

Where we live flipped ranch houses right next to public transit stops are selling for $200k (and sitting on the market for months at a time at that price) and seemingly well-maintained but dated houses of all sorts are in the 120-170k range (which is honestly preferable because i hate anyone who takes advice from someone named chip)

The question is more, how do FHA loans work, how important is first-time homebuyers counseling, and what other things should we be taking into account here that i am not thinking about.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

buy land in nowhere alaska and build your home by hand op

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
google adverse possession and use maps to find prepper properties that sit abandoned

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
yea get a rich dad

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

my new dog posted:

yea get a rich dad

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

corgski posted:

Where we live flipped ranch houses right next to public transit stops are selling for $200k (and sitting on the market for months at a time at that price) and seemingly well-maintained but dated houses of all sorts are in the 120-170k range (which is honestly preferable because i hate anyone who takes advice from someone named chip)

The question is more, how do FHA loans work, how important is first-time homebuyers counseling, and what other things should we be taking into account here that i am not thinking about.

oh then yeah you're probably golden, those should be affordable even with PMI

and I would point out that your other two questions are probably things that first-time homebuyer education courses (and some of the many, many, many books on the subject) could help with! more than randos on a shitposting forum anyway

tbh my home buying experience is probably not helpful to you given the differences between our respective real-estate markets (despite having purchased a slightly updated mid-70's ranch right next to a public transit stop), basically do some research, figure out what your budget actually is, go get pre-approved for a loan, and then go look at houses you can afford (boring I know)

obv don't be afraid to walk away if poo poo seems shady, but while you're probably in a position to be somewhat picky I'll still say that you shouldn't be afraid to say yes if you find something you like and can afford - we bought the literal first house we seriously looked at and love it (we'd been examining listings for a long time and had gone and seen a few condos, but we got in to see it the day before the open house, then went and looked at several other seemingly reasonable options in our price range and went "hey that first one was massively better and while I don't know why someone decided to paint the kitchen a color named "Magician's Cloak" we should go make an offer ASAP!")

LGD has issued a correction as of 22:23 on Jan 3, 2020

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Wakko posted:

google adverse possession and use maps to find prepper properties that sit abandoned

but make sure to bring a mine detector

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

serious advice if it’s a property owned by someone who flips houses look deeply into their past work because chances are good all of their work is done with the same bulk bargain bin hardware and all the old plumbing has been filled in with rocks and none of the construction was done by a licensed tradesperson with the proper permits.

flipping ranch houses from the 50-70s is easy money and mostly done by scumbags.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Wakko posted:

well that is certainly one way to expand our firearm collection hmmm

maybe a future antifa cult compound is what we should be purchasing instead

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Chillgamesh posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007