Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

:sever: and live the boat lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

have you considered declaring sovereignty

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I want to know how I get second credit number.

I'm sitting around with a nice big sexy number in equifax but now I'm getting told I need an entire second credit number in transunion or some other company not listed on credit karma and I'm loving around with poo poo and the number i already have keeps going up and down but the others are big fat zeros

I work at wal-mart I'm not smart enough to understand credit the house I'm looking at only wants 2000 down payment just give me the 50k loving loan. I'm sick of living in spare bedroms.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Honestly it sounds like you're in a pretty good position op. With no down payment you're going to be house poor for a little while, but if you don't mind buying a smaller cheap place and filling it with thrift shop finds you should be good. Sounds like your market isn't completely hosed so you have that going for you.

I would try to save up at lease a few thousand dollars because if you're buying an older house in your price range you're going to have poo poo that needs to get fixed and you want cash on-hand to do that with.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
op kill youre are father before they reverse mortgage their property, also probably take out a life insurance policy on them first if possible, then use the ill gotten gains to be a landlord

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I would try to save up at lease a few thousand dollars because if you're buying an older house in your price range you're going to have poo poo that needs to get fixed and you want cash on-hand to do that with.

yeah we have a positive net worth (the best thing dropping out of college ever did for me) and enough accessible in an ira to cover a modest down payment so we’re already basically petit bourgeois, just not enough for the posters in bourgeoise finances club

also i have a default on my credit (medical debt :911:) hence worrying about navigating fha loans since they’re supposedly much more willing to work with the imperfect credit + small down payment combo than conventional lenders

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

corgski posted:

yeah we have a positive net worth (the best thing dropping out of college ever did for me) and enough accessible in an ira to cover a modest down payment so we’re already basically petit bourgeois, just not enough for the posters in bourgeoise finances club

also i have a default on my credit (medical debt :911:) hence worrying about navigating fha loans since they’re supposedly much more willing to work with the imperfect credit + small down payment combo than conventional lenders

If you subsequently paid the default off or are in the process of paying it off then that should have a minimal effect on your application. Loan officers are humans and will accept explanations if you otherwise look like a good risk.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Do what I did and buy a lovely house in the suburbs near a dying city for like 85k. Sure you'll be a homeowner but the long commute and lack of literally anything to do will make you want to die in a very real and tangible way.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
find a house you like, release the bees and wait for the price to drop. if it's not going down you haven't used enough bees.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

once you get the house i can help you out with the chickens but until then remember that behind every great fortune is a great crime

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

just perform a great service for the sovereign and earn a knighthood like everyone else :rolleyes:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

don’t do it the chickens will eat all the bees

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Do what I did and buy a lovely house in the suburbs near a dying city for like 85k. Sure you'll be a homeowner but the long commute and lack of literally anything to do will make you want to die in a very real and tangible way.

my commute is around 250 miles (one way) right now, it might actually get shorter

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

don’t do it the chickens will eat all the bees

yum honey glazed chicken

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

corgski posted:

my commute is around 250 miles (one way) right now, it might actually get shorter
Living the dream

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Maybe you've already tried this but most places have municipal and state programs that can save you a considerable amount of money depending on your circumstances (alot are means-tested). I saved a few thousand dollars. Try googling [AREANAME] home buying incentives

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Rent seeking is always a good strategy op, it can springboard you into property ownership off someone else's labour.

If you are handy you can convert a portion of a dated home for fairly cheap, or something with an unfinished basement you can make into a 1br will subsidize your mortgage considerably.

I'd suggest doing this a few times leveraging your equity and rents each time until you are able to afford something away from the proles.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

find a house you like, release the bees and wait for the price to drop. if it's not going down you haven't used enough bees.

with a username like that this post can’t possibly be wrong

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

To the above always helps to have a third party act as the landlord and you play role of tenant as well when sharing a space. Easier to identify problem tenants sooner when their guard is down ensuring the flow of rents goes uninterrupted.

cyka blyat
Sep 12, 2018

1999. What appeared to be a harmless meteorite crashing in the Nevada desert has turned out to be Darc Seed, an evil alien creature with horrible powers. By shooting strange magnetic rays, Darc Seed had turned the helpless nation into zombies and had brought the Statue of Liberty to life to do his dirty work. These rays had also given him control over many deadly weapons, but none were more powerful than the legendary samurai sword, Shura. When the great head of the samurai, Namakubi, heard that the sword had fallen into evil hands, he set off immediately for the United States. For only he possessed the strength and knowledge needed to recapture the magical sword and free the U.S. from the evil clutches of Darc Seed.

Why would a poor buy a house? Isnt the whole point to home ownership to have a captive economic class available to charge rent to? You're the guy homeowners rent to.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i did this as a poor. first, you need to move to a place with a larger supply of homes than there is demand. for me, it was rural iowa, which has shed like 25% of its population to urbanization or natural attrition brought on by old people dying and no one wanting to live there. That means you have a lot more negotiating power and prices are low, especially on two story and older homes. Places with lots of olds means a lot more demand for single story, ranch style houses as stairs are the natural enemy of pusher robots and the elderly.

Two, find a cheap house and a motivated seller. The house I found was a former rental by a guy looking to liquidate his slum rental empire. He sold me one of his houses on contract.

Buying on contract means you agree to pay the owner "x" number of dollars over a period of time. If you dont fulfill the contract, you dont keep the house. It is effectively rent to own. After 7 years, I owned my hovel outright, and it cost me all of $25k.

I cant speak to FHA loans as I've never had one, but buying on contract is certainly a thing that can help get you into homeownership

I dont know this website specifically, but here's a similar house in a much better area than I lived for like 40 grand, for sale on contract

https://homes.trovit.com/listing/114-s-walnut-st-colfax-ia-50054.141L1N1D111C1I1x

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

cyka blyat posted:

Why would a poor buy a house? Isnt the whole point to home ownership to have a captive economic class available to charge rent to? You're the guy homeowners rent to.

correction: i'm the girl loving the guy homeowners rent to

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Go talk to a local mortgage broker and find out information about your market and programs that might be available to you

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

release the bees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ZjxPlUxpM

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Solid, subtle honeypot to make all the forums house havers out themselves

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My real advice is be realistic and strict about your budget and don't let a realtor oversell you on a house you can't afford. It's better to look for a while than get in over your head on an expensive house that you might regret later. It took me like three months to find my house.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Op the only person I know living on a boat spends half his time doing set design and the other half sailing across the world on one of those replica viking long ships so maybe get one of those. You can plunder yourself a new SO.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you insist upon being poor, habitat for humanity will build you a house and lend you the money to buy it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the op way is squatting

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

100k income is enough to springboard into petit bourgeois that should be your goal op

cyka blyat
Sep 12, 2018

1999. What appeared to be a harmless meteorite crashing in the Nevada desert has turned out to be Darc Seed, an evil alien creature with horrible powers. By shooting strange magnetic rays, Darc Seed had turned the helpless nation into zombies and had brought the Statue of Liberty to life to do his dirty work. These rays had also given him control over many deadly weapons, but none were more powerful than the legendary samurai sword, Shura. When the great head of the samurai, Namakubi, heard that the sword had fallen into evil hands, he set off immediately for the United States. For only he possessed the strength and knowledge needed to recapture the magical sword and free the U.S. from the evil clutches of Darc Seed.

corgski posted:

correction: i'm the girl loving the guy homeowners rent to

Girls are guys too.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

FHA loans have some extra paperwork to fill out but they aren't like some weird arcane spell and the bank should be able to help you with them. I would google your City, County, and State housing authority and see what kinds of first time homebuyer programs they have. Some will be income restricted and some will have a finite pool of money but some will just be a sick interest rate with the same leniency as an FHA loan. Those classes are boring as gently caress because a lot of it is super duh and most won't likely apply to you but if it's geared towards poor people the person running the class will know about local programs you can look into. If you want to buy a house but don't want to feel like a rich swine hoarding wealth you can look into Community Land Trusts. If you live in an area with a rural component there are USDA loans you can take out that are supposed to be pretty good. I think I had my bankruptcy still on my credit report when I bought my house. They don't give a gently caress. Good luck! Owning a house loving sucks!!!!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

cyka blyat posted:

Girls are guys too.

not everyone in an apartment is on a lease :ssh:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
poor
mass
index

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Frumply posted:

it’s called the landowning class for a reason op and ur not in it.

My grandparents left the landowning class to join the renter class because they like going things to gently caress over their next of kin while acting like they aren't selfish as gently caress.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ok op here's what you do. I learned this from some friends of my cousin down in Colorado.

1. Rent a house with a really religious landlord
2. Act buddy buddy with them so they invite you to church
3. Tell them ur an atheist
4. Get evicted for heathenism
5. Win the house in the ensuing lawsuit

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
get a real estate agent they will get you into house viewings and tell you everything you need to do. mine was my cousin so that probably helps in trusting them, but they generally have an interest in trying not to gently caress you over because their whole business relies on having connections with basically everyone who owns a house or could potentially own a house soon.

we didnt do any FHA type stuff because, if i remember correctly, the financing rates were better on a conventional mortgage for some reason? idk i did not deal with the bank because my credit score was an impediment to getting the loan so only my fiance is signed to the mortgage.

our combined income is lower than yours with similar housing costs in our area, i think we put a 5% down payment on 200k so you guys should probably be able to save that or more pretty quickly. good luck! make sure the roof and hvac are new.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

corgski posted:

not everyone in an apartment is on a lease :ssh:

This might help with the default. Our mortgage was secured on my credit alone just in case we needed my partner's credit to be clear for some reason. If you do this make sure you get your name on the title paperwork for God's sake.

Also be realistic about your budget and use that to figure out how expensive of a mortgage you can tolerate. Budget for maintenance, taxes, and insurance. Classes sound like a waste of time to me if you can do just a bit of math.

Also buying a house was easily more money overall than renting so I'm not sure it was financially a winner for us but the accommodations are a lot nicer.

Good luck not being poor! (Please don't guillotine me comrades.)

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Why buy when you can use adverse possession?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

My real advice is be realistic and strict about your budget and don't let a realtor oversell you on a house you can't afford. It's better to look for a while than get in over your head on an expensive house that you might regret later. It took me like three months to find my house.

This is good real advice. My partner and I just finished raiding our life savings to buy a home. I would even recommend polling extended family friends until you find a realtor, and then lying to their face about being a nice young couple to become their priority. This is what we did and we got a free home warranty / other savings out of the deal, and all we had to do was avoid taking the lord's name in vain while we were house hunting.

Sure you'll never look at yourself in a mirror the same away again, always wondering if your lovely house was worth compromising your ideals, but gently caress it you can walk around naked smoking meth without worrying if your landlord is going to show up unannounced and frankly you can't put a price on this level of freedom.