Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

:siren: MY FIANCE :siren: and i are tired of being under the boot of lovely landlords, living in spaces too small to support our hobbies and/or firearm collections, and generally want to have space to raise chickens and bees. Possibly at the same time.

And since the BFC thread thinks a 100k AGI is "pretty low" and everyone should have 20% down minimum I come here instead to ask for help understanding the mess of social services (FHA loans, HUD homes, first-time homebuyers counseling, etc) targeted at those of us who only just graduated from living in a punk squat with five other people and a couple bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

VROOM VROOM posted:

Buy a van and live in it b*tch. Fill it with bees

i suggested that and he said no

he also wouldn't let me buy a boat

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

logikv9 posted:

bunkers are the only safe housing option in these trying times

can i just call antifa hq and requisition one or is there a form to fill out

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

LGD posted:

e: realtalk though it as mentioned before it very much depends on where you live, 100k AGI + no substantial savings can mean anything from easily being able to afford a decent house to needing to make substantial compromises (crackshack in bad location or condo) to being completely priced out of the market

Where we live flipped ranch houses right next to public transit stops are selling for $200k (and sitting on the market for months at a time at that price) and seemingly well-maintained but dated houses of all sorts are in the 120-170k range (which is honestly preferable because i hate anyone who takes advice from someone named chip)

The question is more, how do FHA loans work, how important is first-time homebuyers counseling, and what other things should we be taking into account here that i am not thinking about.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Wakko posted:

google adverse possession and use maps to find prepper properties that sit abandoned

well that is certainly one way to expand our firearm collection hmmm

maybe a future antifa cult compound is what we should be purchasing instead

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

I would try to save up at lease a few thousand dollars because if you're buying an older house in your price range you're going to have poo poo that needs to get fixed and you want cash on-hand to do that with.

yeah we have a positive net worth (the best thing dropping out of college ever did for me) and enough accessible in an ira to cover a modest down payment so we’re already basically petit bourgeois, just not enough for the posters in bourgeoise finances club

also i have a default on my credit (medical debt :911:) hence worrying about navigating fha loans since they’re supposedly much more willing to work with the imperfect credit + small down payment combo than conventional lenders

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Do what I did and buy a lovely house in the suburbs near a dying city for like 85k. Sure you'll be a homeowner but the long commute and lack of literally anything to do will make you want to die in a very real and tangible way.

my commute is around 250 miles (one way) right now, it might actually get shorter

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

don’t do it the chickens will eat all the bees

yum honey glazed chicken

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

find a house you like, release the bees and wait for the price to drop. if it's not going down you haven't used enough bees.

with a username like that this post can’t possibly be wrong

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

cyka blyat posted:

Why would a poor buy a house? Isnt the whole point to home ownership to have a captive economic class available to charge rent to? You're the guy homeowners rent to.

correction: i'm the girl loving the guy homeowners rent to

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

cyka blyat posted:

Girls are guys too.

not everyone in an apartment is on a lease :ssh:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Living the dream

yeah being a roadie is actually pretty fukin enjoyable, i'd hate being one of the office schlubs who have to wear polo shirts and chinos.

corgski has issued a correction as of 21:46 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Miscellaneous stuff to add:
  • City-level home buyer programs
  • County-level home buyer programs
  • Community Land Trusts (CLT)

CLT - They're non-profits. Affordable housing is built on top of land trapped in a non-profit. By separating the housing from the land, they keep the housing cheap.

I poke around zillow a lot. Found a suspiciously cheap condo in Portland. Led me to CLTs. They seem interesting (albeit uncommon). Still worth a quick google.

edit:

Ctrl+f'ed to see if I missed those while skimming and well well well

drat now i kinda want to start a CLT, it seems like an anarchist commune except people actually wash their own dishes

e:

Freaking Crumbum posted:

IIRC FHA loans still require 3-5% as the minimum down payment so budget that in mind.

[general good advice]

oh yeah we've budgeted for ~10% down and the state offers closing cost assistance to anyone who gets an FHA loan which is really handy.

corgski has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Jan 8, 2020