Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

djfooboo posted:

Viruses respect geopolitical boundaries ya know?!

Considering the shape of Delaware, I can drive way north and south and be perfectly in compliance. But if I drive a shorter distance west to visit my mother while she's on chemo for terminal cancer* I'd lose a stripe for disobeying a direct order. I could request an ETP but after the Wing/CC told one of my guys she can't go see her children I really don't see the point.

It's incredible how ignorant someone can be, though. "I'm about to leave on a remote and not see my kid" is a different level of stress than "there's a virus killing people, everything is closed and we're a ball hair from folks going Mad Max on each other and now I can't go see my kids".

*Not planning on visiting her anyway, considering the incubation period and one whiff of this poo poo and she's toast. Facetime is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EBB posted:

That's an IG complaint right there

Quoting for truth.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rekinom posted:

Nothing is going to happen while this pandemic is still raging.

Nah, I bet the JAGs and IGs are bored as poo poo. Especially with the USAFA cadets back home. Toss them something to keep them busy.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Oh, my sweet summer child. JAGs work for the Wing CC, and IG's are buddies with them (and all the other commanders on base). They don't give a poo poo about you.

If you want to put the fear of God into someone, it either needs to be from a civilian lawyer, or a Congressional complaint.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Rek is right, of course.

If you want something done it takes putting the fear of congress up your commands rear end.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I should mention, said Chief that said she doesn't buy the mental illness justification? Her husband is a Lt Col and runs the IG, so :lol: at anything effective ever getting pushed through there

I told her to either put it through congressional channels, or since she's PCSing, say gently caress it and blast it out on Amn/NCO/SNCO or one of the similar FB groups with a few hundred thousand subscribers. Nothing motivates lovely leaders like bad press.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm a believer in that page ever since the wing king at Shaw responded to an issue with finance and said something to the effect of, "Here's my office phone number, call me first thing Monday and we will fix this."

Edit: That dude is also the guy who wrote/starred in the Gold Bond video.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

BuT DiD yOu TaLk To YoUr FiRsT sHiRt AnD tHe Ig FiRsT

i've met and worked with some good IGs, but I've never once for a second thought that they worked for the best interests of anyone besides the wing commander

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I was pretty shocked when one of the Lt Cols from my sq PCSed and came back a few weeks later as a member of the 8AF IG team. Really showed me how "independent" they are, considering the next assignment was guaranteed to be right back with the same wing and group. So any complaint you work on is likely to be against your next rater.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I’ve been trying to cross over to the air guard from Navy active duty and so far it’s... surprisingly competitive.

Do you guys track Manning for different Officer communities on any publicly available system? Any non-STEM degree mandatory communities that usually need people? Intel apparently only wants people who have worked in that community already too so they weren’t hot on that, even though my educational background fits it well.

I’ve been told that without a CS degree or legit industry experience that cyber is off the table, even with stuff like A+/Network+ etc. Is that true? Or is there anything I can realistically get without a ton of time while I’m still stuck Navy active?

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’ve been trying to cross over to the air guard from Navy active duty and so far it’s... surprisingly competitive.

Do you guys track Manning for different Officer communities on any publicly available system? Any non-STEM degree mandatory communities that usually need people? Intel apparently only wants people who have worked in that community already too so they weren’t hot on that, even though my educational background fits it well.

I’ve been told that without a CS degree or legit industry experience that cyber is off the table, even with stuff like A+/Network+ etc. Is that true? Or is there anything I can realistically get without a ton of time while I’m still stuck Navy active?

Generally, open ANG Officer positions are posted on the individual wing’s websites. I know some states are moving away from that though. But for the most part, it comes down to calling each state/wing’s recruiter and asking. Or knowing someone at a base that knows what’s up. I knew a major at my base who just retired that would give me the inside scoop on officer positions for a buddy of mine that was trying to commission. It’s kind of a crap-shoot.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

https://www.ang.af.mil/Careers/ANG-Title-10-Stat-Tour/ (lists out full time jobs like AGR, Stat Tour, and ADOS jobs)

Sometimes different states (like Washington for instance) will post their Guard opening through their state military web pages (mil.wa.gov). Other time youre better off calling the recruiter and trying to get manning from them.

Here in WA, we are very officer heavy so much so that often time we can get around the AFOCD guidance (the document which drives what your degree/job experience has to be for certain officer AFSCs). I believe for Cyber O's, 10% of us can be from a non cyber field and not have a STEM degree or come from a IT related career field. I know TACPs and former Flyers who switched into Cyber, with no STEM degree or previous IT experience.

As you know, its all about the need of the units. PM me I can list out a few more Cyber units close to your desired location, and maybe reach out to some friends.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Thank you guys! I’ll follow up when I get back to a computer

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Anyone have CRO OPR bullets they can lend to a ANG LT who for 6 months, sat on his rear end from Commissioning date until leaving for a 9 month long tech school ?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Knives Amilli posted:

Anyone have CRO OPR bullets they can lend to a ANG LT who for 6 months, sat on his rear end from Commissioning date until leaving for a 9 month long tech school ?

Are you a new Combat Rescue Officer? I have some friends in that community I can reach out to if that’s the CRO your referring to. (I thought it had changed to STO but I guess that’s a separate AFSC for officers). If not, tell me what kind of CRO you mean (Crypto Responsible Officer.. etc) and I’ll see if I can find you some help.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Are you a new Combat Rescue Officer? I have some friends in that community I can reach out to if that’s the CRO your referring to. (I thought it had changed to STO but I guess that’s a separate AFSC for officers). If not, tell me what kind of CRO you mean (Crypto Responsible Officer.. etc) and I’ll see if I can find you some help.

my bad for not being clear, a CRO (in this instance) is a change of reporting official OPR. Its meant to cover the time between my commissioning and leaving for tech school (since Tech School OPR is a form 422) . Im a cyber ops officer myself.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Knives Amilli posted:

my bad for not being clear, a CRO (in this instance) is a change of reporting official OPR. Its meant to cover the time between my commissioning and leaving for tech school (since Tech School OPR is a form 422) . Im a cyber ops officer myself.

Ahhhh, gotcha. We have too many acronyms, it’s hard to remember them all.

On this particular subject I’m pretty ignorant but I’ll put it out to my USAF officer friends, quite a few are commanders now so they’d probably at least know something on the issue. (Intel and Fighter Pilots mostly.)

Hannibal, you are a post command USAF cyber officer, could you get this guy the gouge on CRO OPR’s for green lieutenants?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Knives Amilli posted:

Why on Earth are you writing an OPR instead of getting a training report at the end of school that covers your casual time, like every other career field?

Edit: Ah, CRO not CRO. Do you still need an OPR? I can't remember the specifics on this. If it's not absolutely required I'd stiff arm it, but at the end of the day as long as it's not a referral nobody's ever going to care about your first OPR as a 2Lt. Anybody work in your current job before you or anyone in the office with you? Crib their stuff.

Edit2: Step one is to figure out what your duty title is.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 1, 2020

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Ahhhh, gotcha. We have too many acronyms, it’s hard to remember them all.

On this particular subject I’m pretty ignorant but I’ll put it out to my USAF officer friends, quite a few are commanders now so they’d probably at least know something on the issue. (Intel and Fighter Pilots mostly.)

Hannibal, you are a post command USAF cyber officer, could you get this guy the gouge on CRO OPR’s for green lieutenants?

Hah, I got out as a captain, I didn't command anything. (It'll be 10 years in October!)

That said Godholio is right on the money. I almost don't quite understand the question. I suppose as a new 17-whatever you're sitting around doing jack squat until you go to school. Is there someone local you can ask? Or are because you're ANG it's some weird situation where you're sitting at home? Like Godholio said those things are usually just copied from previous people doing the same thing. Someone who is in charge of you in some way should have that stuff readily at hand. (I realize usual USAF bureaucratic nonsense may mean this doesn't exist for you)

That said, most everyone I know has punched out at this point, but I still work for CYBERCOM and various USAF folks so if you have any q's about cyber ops I can probably answer some things.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

hannibal posted:

Hah, I got out as a captain, I didn't command anything. (It'll be 10 years in October!)

That said Godholio is right on the money. I almost don't quite understand the question. I suppose as a new 17-whatever you're sitting around doing jack squat until you go to school. Is there someone local you can ask? Or are because you're ANG it's some weird situation where you're sitting at home? Like Godholio said those things are usually just copied from previous people doing the same thing. Someone who is in charge of you in some way should have that stuff readily at hand. (I realize usual USAF bureaucratic nonsense may mean this doesn't exist for you)

That said, most everyone I know has punched out at this point, but I still work for CYBERCOM and various USAF folks so if you have any q's about cyber ops I can probably answer some things.

I wonder why the gently caress I was thinking you were our resident comms O-5.

‘Grats on the 10 years free. I retired 8 years ago myself. :feelsgood:

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
My goal is to outlast everyone else and become the senior ranking person in this thread.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Shouldn't be too hard, unless Slip comes back.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Holy gently caress my contractor position on base is getting shittier by the day. I'm lining up a job right now in Colorado and won't regret leaving at all

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

I wonder why the gently caress I was thinking you were our resident comms O-5.

‘Grats on the 10 years free. I retired 8 years ago myself. :feelsgood:

Clearly it's because I have the gravitas and poise of a, uh, burned out O-5?

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Godholio posted:

Shouldn't be too hard, unless Slip comes back.

I'm currently the idiot O-4. I joined SA when I was a dumb college kid/afrotc cadet, though I'm more of a lurker. Currently trying to decide if I want to go reserve or ANG in the next couple months. Also wondering what I'm gonna do with my life.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
After a long night and a few glasses of Elijah Craig, I got my bullshit OPR done...Done *so well* that i was commended by my Captain and recommended as the go to guy for LT OPR's :v: With that said thanks you guys for offering help, i appreciate that.

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 6, 2020

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

When you're good at your job, you get to do other people's jobs, too.

The oldest and proudest Air Force tradition.

Have fun with thesaurus.com

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

hannibal posted:

so to answer your question: the 17 tech school (UCT) for ANG and Reserves, changed from a PCS to a TDY even though its actually a *PCS* (Over 20 weeks but under 181 days of training). Reason being is that the Reserve side of Cyber had to up the potential money made during training (via per diem and home of record BAH) to appeal to private sector IT professionals looking to join the military.

So what this means is, instead of being a PCS and having a OPR that covers your time as Cyber Officer Trainee (and therefore easier to write), reservist and ANG members have to submit a CRO OPR to cover the time between commissioning and leaving for school, which for most traditional Guardsmen isnt very eventful. The Captains in the Squadron all went to UCT when it was a PCS and didnt have to worry about supplying Bullshit OPR, so my Supervisor showing me his 2nd LT OPR wasnt very helpful.
But I got it done anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 6, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Your senior rater (or his exec) will be the last person to ever read it.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Arc Light posted:

When you're good at your job, you get to do other people's jobs, too.

The oldest and proudest Air Force tradition.

Have fun with thesaurus.com

So loving true

Knives Amilli posted:

so to answer your question: the 17 tech school (UCT) for ANG and Reserves, changed from a PCS to a TDY even though its actually a *PCS* (Over 20 weeks but under 181 days of training). Reason being is that the Reserve side of Cyber had to up the potential money made during training (via per diem and home of record BAH) to appeal to private sector IT professionals looking to join the military.

So what this means is, instead of being a PCS and having a OPR that covers your time as Cyber Officer Trainee (and therefore easier to write), reservist and ANG members have to submit a CRO OPR to cover the time between commissioning and leaving for school, which for most traditional Guardsmen isnt very eventful. The Captains in the Squadron all went to UCT when it was a PCS and didnt have to worry about supplying Bullshit OPR, so my Supervisor showing me his 2nd LT OPR wasnt very helpful.
But I got it done anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:shrug: indeed. Boning over the Total Force as usual I see, this kind of stuff is the reason I didn't go Reserves/ANG when I got out. What you said about private industry sure is true though, I wonder how we keep any semblance of a cyber force together given how much being active duty sucks and the difference in pay/benefits compared to the outside.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Simple, train a person up for 4/6 years, then hire them back as a contractor when they get out! So cost effective!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

nullscan posted:

Simple, train a person up for 4/6 years, then hire them back as a contractor when they get out! So cost effective!

Somehow it supposedly works out that way in the long run once you start looking at retirement and whatnot. I haven't seen a good breakdown of that math, but that's the story.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

It makes sense long term when you factor in that that person's medical expenses aren't your problem, let alone the expenses for their spouse and whatever litter of puppies they inevitably produce.

Mike88511
Aug 12, 2008

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Sorry for the late reply, just looking at this.

Guard wise the slots go up to O-4 and typically helps to know the local unit and like a previous poster said the positions are open on their websites. They typically interview internal enlisted candidates so super competitive. Need high AFOQT scores (basicially the AF's version of the SAT for Officers) and a related degree to the AFSC you are applying for with a competitive GPA or they won't even look. Most officers (I was ROTC) go palace chase from AD then to a Guard unit. So it's tough for outsiders but not impossible if you push for it.

If you are going for a Cyber AFSC e.g. 17D/S you should have definitely have a STEM degree with at least some industry experience. Most of these are former 1Bs from experience or former 3Ds (enlisted). Not sure what your rate is in the Navy but that might help if you're CTN etc..

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's going to be tough to compete against current AD USAF officers looking to jump ship. My unit has lost two in the past year, and another was supposed to be jumping about now, but she's on hold due to COVID. Probably later this year. I'd be surprised if 1-2 more don't try it next year. And we've only got about 18 officers total. People have been getting poo poo on for years, and somehow it's apparently getting worse.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Every USAF thing I complain about seems insanely petty but I still cannot wait until I get out and find a job where I'm not emotionally brow-beaten for not being a proper wingman to some dipshit who can't do his training courses on time

Mike88511
Aug 12, 2008

Fallom posted:

Every USAF thing I complain about seems insanely petty but I still cannot wait until I get out and find a job where I'm not emotionally brow-beaten for not being a proper wingman to some dipshit who can't do his training courses on time

I still get poo poo for being a GS and not making sure everyone has their AT/OPSEC training done including me. Probably only thing that persists. Definitely better in private

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Three more weeks and I'm done with my contractor job on base, hopefully. Pretty sure I got treated better on active than this bullshit

Winterfresh
Sep 11, 2004

Pro.

Rekinom posted:

My goal is to outlast everyone else and become the senior ranking person in this thread.

yea ok

greetings from okinawa, btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kranrev
Jun 1, 2000

"No damn cat, and no damn cradle."

Rekinom posted:

Nothing is going to happen while this pandemic is still raging. Maybe after the fact when things settle down some heads will roll, but in this very moment your leadership is going to gently caress you because it's a free for all with zero accountability right now.

The military blows and they will gently caress you over whenever it's convenient, and yall motherfuckers still dont listen and get the surprised pikachu face when you find a big blue dick in your rear end, like if we didn't loving warn you 10,000 goddamn times.

So eventually they let me outprocess, get in my car and drive away, literally the only thing keeping me from going to my new house and being reunited with my family aside from a bureaucratic cluster gently caress.

The day of my final out I showed up and was told that, sorry, we made a mistake, you aren't going to be allowed to PCS like we just told you that you could yesterday. I drove back to my packed up room and had just enough time to get to some dark places before the MPF called my cell and told me to come in and outprocess before someone changed their mind again.

After my final out I put my phone in airplane mode till I got home.