Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike88511
Aug 12, 2008

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’ve been trying to cross over to the air guard from Navy active duty and so far it’s... surprisingly competitive.

Do you guys track Manning for different Officer communities on any publicly available system? Any non-STEM degree mandatory communities that usually need people? Intel apparently only wants people who have worked in that community already too so they weren’t hot on that, even though my educational background fits it well.

I’ve been told that without a CS degree or legit industry experience that cyber is off the table, even with stuff like A+/Network+ etc. Is that true? Or is there anything I can realistically get without a ton of time while I’m still stuck Navy active?

Sorry for the late reply, just looking at this.

Guard wise the slots go up to O-4 and typically helps to know the local unit and like a previous poster said the positions are open on their websites. They typically interview internal enlisted candidates so super competitive. Need high AFOQT scores (basicially the AF's version of the SAT for Officers) and a related degree to the AFSC you are applying for with a competitive GPA or they won't even look. Most officers (I was ROTC) go palace chase from AD then to a Guard unit. So it's tough for outsiders but not impossible if you push for it.

If you are going for a Cyber AFSC e.g. 17D/S you should have definitely have a STEM degree with at least some industry experience. Most of these are former 1Bs from experience or former 3Ds (enlisted). Not sure what your rate is in the Navy but that might help if you're CTN etc..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike88511
Aug 12, 2008

Fallom posted:

Every USAF thing I complain about seems insanely petty but I still cannot wait until I get out and find a job where I'm not emotionally brow-beaten for not being a proper wingman to some dipshit who can't do his training courses on time

I still get poo poo for being a GS and not making sure everyone has their AT/OPSEC training done including me. Probably only thing that persists. Definitely better in private