Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

Reminder that there are still a few actual leaders making rank:

https://www.facebook.com/AirForceForum/posts/1462934393880196

Top comment is Col O'Malley, of gold bond fame.

Some folks at Shaw are in for unpleasant conversations tomorrow.

reminds me of my experiences trying to contact an insurance adjuster at USAA

the personnel office at my place instituted a no walk-ins policy on certain days. i had something of an emergency since I needed to get my wife onto my insurance promptly to avoid getting insane medical bills and i got caught by that. the staff were all loving around on their phones yet refused to help me.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I read that USAA has completely different support teams depending on your region and what type of customer they see you as, in addition to the different product-based teams

That might explain some of the variation people see. I've had nothing but problems dealing with their auto insurance folks in the southwest.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 15, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How does setting a separation date work? The AFI isn't particularly helpful. From what I gather, there's a 6-month minimum window between your application and your earliest separation date, which the USAF can overrule if desired. What's the maximum date I can set it to? Does using the 7-day option affect what dates you can pick?

I'd like to time things so that I can finish my degree this year but I'll be on the VML in a couple weeks. I either pull the trigger then or use the 7-day option.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hotel Kpro posted:

So let's say I have dual citizenship. I'm guessing there's no way they'll let me keep my second citizenship for a top secret clearance if I wanted some government job on base. And if that's the case would it be worth it give up Canadian citizenship? I kinda like the idea of being able to move to Canada on a moment's notice

They will ask you to renounce your dual citizenship but it’s not technically a disqualifier. It will take forever to get adjudicated.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kranrev posted:

Anybody else completely screwed by this plague situation? I was supposed to outprocess for PCS this week. Instead I'm stuck in an AirBnB while pulling shifts doing viral nasal swabs in the pandemic tent with lovely PPE.

I sold my house, shipped my HHG, bought a new house at my gaining location and my wife already moved there. Now I get to pay a mortgage and rent, while sitting alone in a room with a laptop waiting for the inevitable fever to come.

That’s pretty well screwed. The base couldn’t put you up in lodging? Mine has been doing that for the essential medical personnel.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rekinom posted:

Nothing is going to happen while this pandemic is still raging.

Nah, I bet the JAGs and IGs are bored as poo poo. Especially with the USAFA cadets back home. Toss them something to keep them busy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Every USAF thing I complain about seems insanely petty but I still cannot wait until I get out and find a job where I'm not emotionally brow-beaten for not being a proper wingman to some dipshit who can't do his training courses on time

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hey folks I've got a couple separation questions:

1) Separation orders aren't issued until 60 days from the separation date or less, but DPS won't let me schedule a move without orders. Is there a way to get that waived with an approved separation date or do I truly have to wait until I have the orders in hand?

2) My separation date is 4 Dec. I was originally planning to start terminal leave on 5 Oct, but I got a referral for shoulder surgery and 30 days of convalescent leave starting 19 Sep. Are there any issues I should expect rolling my convalescent leave into my terminal leave? I expect I'll have to leave a gap in there to do unit outprocessing/final out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m going to use as much as I can. I’ll be moving across the country and starting a new job so I need all the time I can get.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What does the “AF Form 2587, Security Termination Form” do? I already have my contractor job lined up and my clearance crossed over, so I assume this is just terminating my ability to access stuff on the military side but the anxious part of my brain is worried about messing something up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arc Light posted:

Yes, that's exactly it. I was a security manager for years and I processed probably a hundred of those. You were previously read in to a certain level of access, and now that access is revoked. It doesn't affect your clearance, just indicates that you have been briefed that you are no longer authorized to access (or talk about) whatever classified materiel you were previously exposed to. Standard for PCS or separation.

I think my confusion with that explanation is that I'll be working with the same materiel in my new job. Sounds like I'll just need to be re-briefed to the compartments I need, though, which the company will hopefully do during onboarding.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I appreciate the advice, guys. I’m a little paranoid over this stuff because I have a security manager who threatened to cancel my clearance renewal last year because he heard I might be getting out so now I just assume everyone’s out to get me.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 9, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ragaman posted:

Yuuuup that’s the same issue I have, and the Air Force doctors said the exact same thing “you’re hearing is fine!” Ok thanks rear end in a top hat!

I had to google diagnose myself and when I reported all of my disability claims to the VA, listed Auditory Processing Disorder. Since I just started terminal leave last month and am in the Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) Program, the VA scheduled a hearing exam for me and the doc actually tested specifically for it instead of blowing me off like the military doc did, so that’s great, but who knows what will come of it until I get my rating/results back.

High five, terminal buddy

I’m in the BDD too but I didn’t get to have complete exams for everything because I had shoulder surgery right before leaving. I’m hoping they’ll still give me a rating and I can go back and get the shoulder exams later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

The guy who managed the last major round of force shaping (which was kind of a shitshow) is now in charge of that whole organization. Combining that with high retention due to covid-based economic concerns and the impending elimination/reduction of retention bonuses in many career fields, I predict that we'll see a bunch of folks getting the boot within a year and as usual, PT scores will be a major deciding factor on who stays and who goes.

If they really wanted to get a head start they'd keep the waist measurement for April but I guess even they can see that plan might be a little too aggressive.