Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I knew a guy who had to fight like hell to get his TS because of his previous private sector job. The company he worked for offered him stock as part of his retirement plan and were subsequently bought out by a British company. He now had to disclose that he had a sizeable amount of foreign-owned stock on his SF86 and explain ad nauseum that the company was US-owned when he worked for it.

Someone in my family had something similar when they joined the Army. He already had a TS from a contractor job he had and his Army recruiter kept telling him to put 'no' on all the pot-related questions on his enlistment paperwork. He told the guy he already had a TS, had told them he'd smoked pot on that and wasn't going to incriminate himself like an idiot. Goes to MEPS, fills the paperwork out again and gets grilled over why he 'changed his answers' because the loving recruiter went back and put no on everything. Cue waiting 8 months for a waiver to be eligible for a clearance he already held.

Meanwhile there are convicted sex offenders with clearances because in OPM's twisted logic, they were upfront about being diddlers so there's no opportunity for blackmail. God I hated being a Security Manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
You gonna smash or what?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Hahaha 'leadership'.

That's probably a good term for what they told my SSgt, whose kids are with her parents 40 miles away but she got told to suck it up because they're across state lines and that's the arbitrary boundary the wing commander chose for distance. My spineless Chief told me "well she was already about to head out the door on a remote, so I don't buy the stress or mental illness excuse."

My unit had a SMSgt blow her head off this past Thanksgiving. That Chief was her direct supervisor. Really colors in the loving bubbles doesn't it.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

djfooboo posted:

Viruses respect geopolitical boundaries ya know?!

Considering the shape of Delaware, I can drive way north and south and be perfectly in compliance. But if I drive a shorter distance west to visit my mother while she's on chemo for terminal cancer* I'd lose a stripe for disobeying a direct order. I could request an ETP but after the Wing/CC told one of my guys she can't go see her children I really don't see the point.

It's incredible how ignorant someone can be, though. "I'm about to leave on a remote and not see my kid" is a different level of stress than "there's a virus killing people, everything is closed and we're a ball hair from folks going Mad Max on each other and now I can't go see my kids".

*Not planning on visiting her anyway, considering the incubation period and one whiff of this poo poo and she's toast. Facetime is awesome.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

I should mention, said Chief that said she doesn't buy the mental illness justification? Her husband is a Lt Col and runs the IG, so :lol: at anything effective ever getting pushed through there

I told her to either put it through congressional channels, or since she's PCSing, say gently caress it and blast it out on Amn/NCO/SNCO or one of the similar FB groups with a few hundred thousand subscribers. Nothing motivates lovely leaders like bad press.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

It makes sense long term when you factor in that that person's medical expenses aren't your problem, let alone the expenses for their spouse and whatever litter of puppies they inevitably produce.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Fallom posted:

Hey folks I've got a couple separation questions:

1) Separation orders aren't issued until 60 days from the separation date or less, but DPS won't let me schedule a move without orders. Is there a way to get that waived with an approved separation date or do I truly have to wait until I have the orders in hand?

2) My separation date is 4 Dec. I was originally planning to start terminal leave on 5 Oct, but I got a referral for shoulder surgery and 30 days of convalescent leave starting 19 Sep. Are there any issues I should expect rolling my convalescent leave into my terminal leave? I expect I'll have to leave a gap in there to do unit outprocessing/final out.

Call TFSC for your sep orders but expect a wait. They're all processed down that way (your local MPF can't really help other than calling TFSC on your behalf) and with the COVID teleworking plus the budget getting rawdogged by the stop movement they're approving them REAL slow. Same for assignments, I've got about 100 orders that have been sitting down there for a month while everyone calls me complaining.

Best bet for your leave is to sell the extra days, take the con leave, then come back and final out. I'd have to do some digging about rolling con leave into terminal, It's not something I've seen personally but that doesn't mean it's not a thing.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

AFPC quietly killed In Lieu Of letters last year. The only approving office is their Policy office and they straight up told me they won't ever approve them. Too many people got left holding the bag and it got too many Congressionals, I guess. Now if it's a legit hardship or someone can't meet reqs for the order, AFPC just waives the requirements rather than the LiLo.

Works for me, I'd have folks asking for one 8 months out from departing.

Edit: this is different than the Memorandum In Lieu of Amendments that they're letting base level use for COVID. That was AFPC straight up admitting there was no way to authenticate all the amendments after stop movement and just giving a blanket memo so folks can get their vouchers done.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 2, 2020

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Have you tried drinking about it? That tends to help me deal with the idiocy.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

nullscan posted:

Reviving this dumb thread to bitch about having physically moved from an Intel support squadron to a numbered air force staff position in June, but AFPC cant be assed to push the button that'll make it official still. So loving stupid, and now the rear end clowns at my old unit who still haven't signed my pcs medal, or my humanitarian medal for feeding our covid people, will be in charge of my epr. Maybe I'll get to sign it in May again (Totally a TSgt still).

2 more years man. 2 more years.

Bug your MPF, they can push a message to AFPC and request they load the intercommand PCA. Ran into the same thing here with First Sergeants going between a wing and a DRU, eventually I just had to email their FAM direct and be like "dude their EPRs are about to close out with the wrong units can you just load it" and they got it the next day. Takes the unit out of the equation because it sounds like they're not going to bother because they don't give a poo poo (and/or want to keep an extra body on their MEL for another promotion recommendation for someone's anointed child).

Edit: your new unit can backdate the gain to get you on their MEL also. If they can push the button quickly enough you should have enough time. Bonus if it strips one MP/PN from your old unit because that's just funny.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 6, 2020

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Long story short, you need three things for access to classified:

1. Appropriate background check
2. Signed nondisclosure agreement
3. A need to know

The Security Termination Statement is literally just you signing a piece of paper saying "I'm out, I no longer have a need to know for classified at this place". The background check is the big piece that's a pain in the rear end, but as long as that's still current you're golden. You just get read back in at your next job and boom, you have a need to know their stuff.

Where folks get confused is their security clearance versus their eligibility for a security clearance. Technically every time you PCS, your clearance is revoked when you leave and granted at your next unit, because of rule 3 up there. You remain eligible the entire time, however. That's how I used to piss of commanders when I was a security manager because they'd PCS in with a TS and I'd tell them they only get a Secret, because we didn't have any positions with a need for a TS. They remained eligible for one, but without a job requiring it enjoy your regular ol' Secret.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 9, 2020

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

My hearing is hosed thanks to too much time around the Army and them loving to fire weapons without giving out earpro. It's not complete hearing loss, but if there's any background noise (a running sink, motor noise, low music, etc) I can hear folks speak but can't pick out the actual words. I compare it to the adults talking in Peanuts, I can hear a voice and know it's speech but all I get is whomp whompwhomp whomp. Of course the last hearing test I got downtown swore up and down that my hearing was perfect, so that's another one I'll have to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Just make facemasks no longer authorized in uniform and the problem will just work itself out naturally. I'll take my three stars, please.