Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
A guy I had met on a deployment in 2012 who was one of our replacements ended up getting murdered just last year. I don't know much about the specifics other than he had flown some 18 year old girl from California to stay with him and she stabbed him to death. So don't do that either I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
In the last couple days I think I've had more of an impact on my career field than the last 9 years. The lesson here is if you don't work on the equipment don't make rules that gently caress over every lab in the air force and leave it to us scrubs to unfuck it.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It was some stupid setting on a multimeter that was causing our meter calibrators to fail on AC current. We had noticed the problem months ago with the automated procedure but they decided to go ahead and change the paper copy too. My buddy couldn't get through to whatever engineer made the change. A few phone calls to the other labs to point out the fuckery and suddenly everything is changing back

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So let's say I have dual citizenship. I'm guessing there's no way they'll let me keep my second citizenship for a top secret clearance if I wanted some government job on base. And if that's the case would it be worth it give up Canadian citizenship? I kinda like the idea of being able to move to Canada on a moment's notice

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So our base is now mission essential personnel only, and contractors. Our work depends on people bringing us poo poo to calibrate. If there's no one around to bring poo poo in this is going to be a real boring few weeks

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Holy gently caress my contractor position on base is getting shittier by the day. I'm lining up a job right now in Colorado and won't regret leaving at all

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Three more weeks and I'm done with my contractor job on base, hopefully. Pretty sure I got treated better on active than this bullshit

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
loving hell I'm straight up not having a good time being a contractor anymore. We're at the biggest PMEL lab in the air force and they really don't want to hire anyone. Our main torque person is totally burned out since she's had to do 5000 torque wrenches a year, that's more than the output of the entire workload of several bases. If I help in torque then my section gets overwhelmed, but it's okay because we hired some guy two years to replace a different guy who had quit. Except apparently the new guy is so incompetent that he's been decertified on everything so he can't calibrate anything anymore. It's been two loving years, if he hasn't gotten the hang of the job yet then he's never going to get it. So now he's coming to work getting paid the same as us to do fuckall. loving unreal. And tomorrow it's time to do TTU205 test sets since I got trained on them because our other airflow guy quit last year and they didn't want to replace him either. There's only 7 of them, loving yay.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't handed out wholesale demotions to a bunch of people 2.5 years ago. I took a 20% paycut to get endlessly poo poo on. And me and another guy had plans to get out of here but there's just no good opportunities, or in my case my girlfriend has some custody issues that are preventing us from leaving the state. Then our manager's boss starts telling people that the two of us are unreliable since we're looking for another job. I don't think leadership could be more toxic if they tried.

My only out is that I might have an in for an IT position at the tiny army post kinda out in the middle of nowhere. Seems like a better deal than this poo poo

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It certainly dulls the pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Rekinom posted:

Behind every toxic leader is a group of spineless workers that will stay behind and eat poo poo no matter how badly they're treated.

Sounds to me like the incompetent guy is the smartest one in the whole group.

We have many people that have been there for 15+ years so you're right about that. They bitch and whine but they aren't going anywhere.

It's tempting to do fuckall but man that ain't me. I just can't be a waste of space