Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Trump doing the most for the Black Vote in November

https://twitter.com/usairforce/status/1234585486611578880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’ve been trying to cross over to the air guard from Navy active duty and so far it’s... surprisingly competitive.

Do you guys track Manning for different Officer communities on any publicly available system? Any non-STEM degree mandatory communities that usually need people? Intel apparently only wants people who have worked in that community already too so they weren’t hot on that, even though my educational background fits it well.

I’ve been told that without a CS degree or legit industry experience that cyber is off the table, even with stuff like A+/Network+ etc. Is that true? Or is there anything I can realistically get without a ton of time while I’m still stuck Navy active?
https://www.ang.af.mil/Careers/ANG-Title-10-Stat-Tour/ (lists out full time jobs like AGR, Stat Tour, and ADOS jobs)

Sometimes different states (like Washington for instance) will post their Guard opening through their state military web pages (mil.wa.gov). Other time youre better off calling the recruiter and trying to get manning from them.

Here in WA, we are very officer heavy so much so that often time we can get around the AFOCD guidance (the document which drives what your degree/job experience has to be for certain officer AFSCs). I believe for Cyber O's, 10% of us can be from a non cyber field and not have a STEM degree or come from a IT related career field. I know TACPs and former Flyers who switched into Cyber, with no STEM degree or previous IT experience.

As you know, its all about the need of the units. PM me I can list out a few more Cyber units close to your desired location, and maybe reach out to some friends.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Anyone have CRO OPR bullets they can lend to a ANG LT who for 6 months, sat on his rear end from Commissioning date until leaving for a 9 month long tech school ?

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Are you a new Combat Rescue Officer? I have some friends in that community I can reach out to if that’s the CRO your referring to. (I thought it had changed to STO but I guess that’s a separate AFSC for officers). If not, tell me what kind of CRO you mean (Crypto Responsible Officer.. etc) and I’ll see if I can find you some help.

my bad for not being clear, a CRO (in this instance) is a change of reporting official OPR. Its meant to cover the time between my commissioning and leaving for tech school (since Tech School OPR is a form 422) . Im a cyber ops officer myself.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
After a long night and a few glasses of Elijah Craig, I got my bullshit OPR done...Done *so well* that i was commended by my Captain and recommended as the go to guy for LT OPR's :v: With that said thanks you guys for offering help, i appreciate that.

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 6, 2020

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

hannibal posted:

Hah, I got out as a captain, I didn't command anything. (It'll be 10 years in October!)

That said Godholio is right on the money. I almost don't quite understand the question. I suppose as a new 17-whatever you're sitting around doing jack squat until you go to school. Is there someone local you can ask? Or are because you're ANG it's some weird situation where you're sitting at home? Like Godholio said those things are usually just copied from previous people doing the same thing. Someone who is in charge of you in some way should have that stuff readily at hand. (I realize usual USAF bureaucratic nonsense may mean this doesn't exist for you)

That said, most everyone I know has punched out at this point, but I still work for CYBERCOM and various USAF folks so if you have any q's about cyber ops I can probably answer some things.

so to answer your question: the 17 tech school (UCT) for ANG and Reserves, changed from a PCS to a TDY even though its actually a *PCS* (Over 20 weeks but under 181 days of training). Reason being is that the Reserve side of Cyber had to up the potential money made during training (via per diem and home of record BAH) to appeal to private sector IT professionals looking to join the military.

So what this means is, instead of being a PCS and having a OPR that covers your time as Cyber Officer Trainee (and therefore easier to write), reservist and ANG members have to submit a CRO OPR to cover the time between commissioning and leaving for school, which for most traditional Guardsmen isnt very eventful. The Captains in the Squadron all went to UCT when it was a PCS and didnt have to worry about supplying Bullshit OPR, so my Supervisor showing me his 2nd LT OPR wasnt very helpful.
But I got it done anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Career Question: how worth it is the Officer Pension?

I ask because right now im a 2d LT in the ANG with about 4 years of PCARS time but 11 years total in November and I feel im at a crossroads.

Right now im in a job training pipeline that will pay me 6 figures (provide it I complete it in a year) as a Software Engineer.

But as a cyber officer in the ANG, we have constant opportunities to take GS-13 or AGR positions. Yes Id have to do about 16 years to retire but most AGR Cyber O slots are capped at O-4 so i could nearly sit the rest of my time in a single slot.

I feel like I have some time to make a decision (before I pin on Captain and I pin on 1st Lt next month), but I just want you alls input.