Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Godholio posted:

Reminder that there are still a few actual leaders making rank:

https://www.facebook.com/AirForceForum/posts/1462934393880196

Top comment is Col O'Malley, of gold bond fame.

Some folks at Shaw are in for unpleasant conversations tomorrow.

Finance, one of the things eternally hosed in the Air Force. At least this guy has the Gold Bond guy to help him out.

As for USAA, I've never had anything but good interactions with their insurance people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Fallom posted:

I read that USAA has completely different support teams depending on your region and what type of customer they see you as, in addition to the different product-based teams

That might explain some of the variation people see. I've had nothing but problems dealing with their auto insurance folks in the southwest.

If they do it like other companies, this is absolutely the case. I have a relative that works for another insurance company as a manager and they split their stuff up by states - he had Wyoming and Alaska as his starting portfolio (smallest states by population). Lots of fun stories about dealing with individual states' insurance regulators.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Doesn't take a predictive model for pilots to see the airline industry tank and go, oh well, guess it's time to stay in. I suspect any retention/recruiting problems the entire military has will not be a problem for the next several years at least.

Also, looks like they're using Zoom there, heh.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Godholio posted:

Watch the AF change the retention bonus so it's all or nothing on the 9 year option. Right now there's a scale.

They really have nothing to lose so why not turn up the suck?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Ahhhh, gotcha. We have too many acronyms, it’s hard to remember them all.

On this particular subject I’m pretty ignorant but I’ll put it out to my USAF officer friends, quite a few are commanders now so they’d probably at least know something on the issue. (Intel and Fighter Pilots mostly.)

Hannibal, you are a post command USAF cyber officer, could you get this guy the gouge on CRO OPR’s for green lieutenants?

Hah, I got out as a captain, I didn't command anything. (It'll be 10 years in October!)

That said Godholio is right on the money. I almost don't quite understand the question. I suppose as a new 17-whatever you're sitting around doing jack squat until you go to school. Is there someone local you can ask? Or are because you're ANG it's some weird situation where you're sitting at home? Like Godholio said those things are usually just copied from previous people doing the same thing. Someone who is in charge of you in some way should have that stuff readily at hand. (I realize usual USAF bureaucratic nonsense may mean this doesn't exist for you)

That said, most everyone I know has punched out at this point, but I still work for CYBERCOM and various USAF folks so if you have any q's about cyber ops I can probably answer some things.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I wonder why the gently caress I was thinking you were our resident comms O-5.

‘Grats on the 10 years free. I retired 8 years ago myself. :feelsgood:

Clearly it's because I have the gravitas and poise of a, uh, burned out O-5?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Arc Light posted:

When you're good at your job, you get to do other people's jobs, too.

The oldest and proudest Air Force tradition.

Have fun with thesaurus.com

So loving true

Knives Amilli posted:

so to answer your question: the 17 tech school (UCT) for ANG and Reserves, changed from a PCS to a TDY even though its actually a *PCS* (Over 20 weeks but under 181 days of training). Reason being is that the Reserve side of Cyber had to up the potential money made during training (via per diem and home of record BAH) to appeal to private sector IT professionals looking to join the military.

So what this means is, instead of being a PCS and having a OPR that covers your time as Cyber Officer Trainee (and therefore easier to write), reservist and ANG members have to submit a CRO OPR to cover the time between commissioning and leaving for school, which for most traditional Guardsmen isnt very eventful. The Captains in the Squadron all went to UCT when it was a PCS and didnt have to worry about supplying Bullshit OPR, so my Supervisor showing me his 2nd LT OPR wasnt very helpful.
But I got it done anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:shrug: indeed. Boning over the Total Force as usual I see, this kind of stuff is the reason I didn't go Reserves/ANG when I got out. What you said about private industry sure is true though, I wonder how we keep any semblance of a cyber force together given how much being active duty sucks and the difference in pay/benefits compared to the outside.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
It's also a factor of your company's contract and the associated DD254 which describes what level of classification the work will be under. Your contract comes with a certain number of SCI billets and you'll be assigned to one, and the classification of the work you do must be specified (and justified) on the DD254. If the DD254 is 2-pack you can't get a 4-pack read-in, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Godholio posted:

Sadly that's the attitude you SHOULD have.

Exactly.