Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Just leave the last letter off. It can be filled in later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I hope you guys ran the paperwork through JAG to get their blessing before springing that on him.

When I hopped into a new shop they were starting to try to boot a worthless A1C who had a stack of paperwork already. JAG or ADC (can't remember who we talked to) went over it, said it wasn't going to fly but here's how to do it right for the next few times and we'll see you in six months. Their prediction was spot on, and the dude got promoted to civilian.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Reminder that there are still a few actual leaders making rank:

https://www.facebook.com/AirForceForum/posts/1462934393880196

Top comment is Col O'Malley, of gold bond fame.

Some folks at Shaw are in for unpleasant conversations tomorrow.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He seems to be a good choice, at least. Saw him speak a few months ago, and he's got a good reputation from people who worked with him prior.

But so did Welsh, soooooo

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'll take "beaten down after a couple of years" over "gently caress all of you" any day.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fallom posted:

They will ask you to renounce your dual citizenship but it’s not technically a disqualifier. It will take forever to get adjudicated.

This.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Most of our base is mission essential apparently, but without our usual support from TDY personnel we've got twice the workload. Awesome. And most of the support folks we work with are on quarantine for another 9 days.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Watch the AF change the retention bonus so it's all or nothing on the 9 year option. Right now there's a scale.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world if they didn't know they had the ability. Probably worth bringing the reg to their attention. This also shows you were proactive in trying to help solve the problem before your inevitable IG/congressional complaint.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I assume you've mentioned that to the shirt?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm a believer in that page ever since the wing king at Shaw responded to an issue with finance and said something to the effect of, "Here's my office phone number, call me first thing Monday and we will fix this."

Edit: That dude is also the guy who wrote/starred in the Gold Bond video.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I was pretty shocked when one of the Lt Cols from my sq PCSed and came back a few weeks later as a member of the 8AF IG team. Really showed me how "independent" they are, considering the next assignment was guaranteed to be right back with the same wing and group. So any complaint you work on is likely to be against your next rater.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Knives Amilli posted:

Anyone have CRO OPR bullets they can lend to a ANG LT who for 6 months, sat on his rear end from Commissioning date until leaving for a 9 month long tech school ?

Why on Earth are you writing an OPR instead of getting a training report at the end of school that covers your casual time, like every other career field?

Edit: Ah, CRO not CRO. Do you still need an OPR? I can't remember the specifics on this. If it's not absolutely required I'd stiff arm it, but at the end of the day as long as it's not a referral nobody's ever going to care about your first OPR as a 2Lt. Anybody work in your current job before you or anyone in the office with you? Crib their stuff.

Edit2: Step one is to figure out what your duty title is.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 1, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Shouldn't be too hard, unless Slip comes back.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Your senior rater (or his exec) will be the last person to ever read it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

nullscan posted:

Simple, train a person up for 4/6 years, then hire them back as a contractor when they get out! So cost effective!

Somehow it supposedly works out that way in the long run once you start looking at retirement and whatnot. I haven't seen a good breakdown of that math, but that's the story.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's going to be tough to compete against current AD USAF officers looking to jump ship. My unit has lost two in the past year, and another was supposed to be jumping about now, but she's on hold due to COVID. Probably later this year. I'd be surprised if 1-2 more don't try it next year. And we've only got about 18 officers total. People have been getting poo poo on for years, and somehow it's apparently getting worse.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I can't remember how #1 worked when I got out...I wasn't moving immediately so it probably just didn't come up. #2 is pretty much unit-dependent. My squadron would've signed off on whatever, but others would make it a hassle for no reason.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Selling leave back only gets you base pay. Technically it's 1/30 of your monthly base pay for each day. No allowances or additional pays (flight, whatever). So for a day-for-day basis, selling it back is worth less than using it, if you're going to do something while on leave. If you're going to sit around the house and be bored, sell it back and pocket the extra money. Or if you have more than you can use (that was my situation). You can sell back a max of 60, limited by statute and there's no waiver or anything to sell back more than that.

I sold 60, used a few weeks, lost almost a month.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tinker.txt

FYI the "separation physical" isn't a physical. The flight doc will ask you to list all the things you've made appointments for in your career. He may or may not write anything down. This is your one and only chance to list every loving bump and bruise you've gotten, because unless that clinic has improved over the years, they don't document a loving thing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, you will be read out and read back in. It's dumb as hell, but it's to keep the paperwork in line.

What's extra dumb is guys who are guard/reserve and contractors. They have different clearances for each employer, and may or may not have the same read-ins. So depending on who is signing your paycheck for that particular day, you may or may not have access to things/places.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sadly that's the attitude you SHOULD have.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The services get to make that decision, so I suspect the AF will just drag its feet. Those jets will go to the boneyard at the worst, and it can take weeks before the first step towards long-term storage is taken. This is easy to shake, if the incoming administration wants to reverse it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The guy who managed the last major round of force shaping (which was kind of a shitshow) is now in charge of that whole organization. Combining that with high retention due to covid-based economic concerns and the impending elimination/reduction of retention bonuses in many career fields, I predict that we'll see a bunch of folks getting the boot within a year and as usual, PT scores will be a major deciding factor on who stays and who goes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AFStealth posted:

Retention will go down the shitter again once Corona is dealt with. The AF is incapable of seeing things long term.

For so many reasons, it's this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's official. The Advanced Instructor Weapons Director Course is now a full-up weapons instructor course. Effective today, graduates get the Weapons School shield. AIWDC was the WS's first enlisted course, and is the second to transition from an advanced instructor course to a WIC, behind only the JTAC course. This was a long time coming, and several years of active work to get through all the hoops.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Uh. That's interesting.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AFStealth posted:

That's awesome, those guys deserve it. Surprised they didn't do it sooner with how few 13Bs they seem to attract these days.

It's not lack of 13B applicants, there's a cap. That said, I think we have four 1C5s in the upcoming class, which is twice as many as I've seen before; for years they've always had fewer applicants than desired.

On the 13B side, manpower has actually been plussed up for the last 4 or 5 years to make up for several years of low attendance due to budget problems. The number of students is tied to the number of instructors, and they're letting the PCS cycle attrit that down to normal now. Of the four career fields, I think ABMs are the only ones who hit their desired numbers consistently (at the start of the class, at least).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If anyone's on FB but doesn't follow the AMN/NCO/SNCO group, I strongly recommend it. It's about 1/3 memes, 1/3 whiners and mockery of said whiners, and 1/3 legitimate grievances being aired that occasionally actually lead to change. Some examples, a Shaw airman was complaining that the finance office was basically giving him and his squadron the finger, to which Col O'Malley, WG/CC, replied with his office phone number and said to call Monday and it'll be taken care of. Baller. The AF's recent investigation into systematic racism and discrimination in the service was heavily impacted by social media posts from airmen, and included specific references to that page. There have also been fundraisers for when Tricare is loving around; a baby got one of those cranial-shaping helmets a few days ago thanks to this page, because Tricare won't actually cover it until after reconstructive surgery is attempted; nevermind that surgery is typically the last resort in these cases.

I say all that to bring this up. Pretty sure it's a few months old but the airman has thrown it into the public eye.

An airmen at Buckley, probably med group, attempted to commit suicide using an IV needle. For whatever reason, the attempt was unsuccessful and the airmen spent several days in a psychiatric facility. After a full week had passed, the airman's supervisor and shirt stopped by. They did not ask his/her condition or express any concern for his/her wellbeing. They dropped off an LOR for theft (of the IV needle), and an LOC (for being 7 minutes late the day after the attempt). No concern was expressed after discharge from the facility either.

gently caress that commander, and if he/she was not removed from that office, gently caress that group's/wing's leadership.