Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

HM: Liger Retirement Match, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14, 04/01

Had zero expectations for this and they crushed it

nth this except I did have expectations but it still exceeded them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
4th January
Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 1
Jon Moxley vs Lance Archer (c)

Hella violence, a man got choked with a plastic bag, steel chair thrown at a head, singapore cane to the head, nasty stuff

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Will Ospreay (C) vs. Hiromu Takahashi for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship - Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 1

I'm gonna be honest with you folks. I wrote this based on the entrance outfits alone. That the match ended up being loving incredible was simply the icing on the cake. Also that loving in-and-out of the ring sequence was literally inhuman. :stare:

Yup.

God I'm glad my boy is back and as insane as ever.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

HM: Tetsuya Naito vs. Jay White, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14, 04/01

nth

Thought it was a necessary change of pace between Ospreay/Hiromu & Okada/Ibushi. I know some people feel like there's no room for shenanigans at the Dome but Gedo has been booker for years now & you know he's a Memphis mark so just accept it for what it is.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada (C) vs. Kota Ibushi for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 1

Absolutely incredible from the entrances to the outfits to the wrestling to the character work to the facial expressions to the ending. Just the absolute best possible wrestling from the best possible wrestlers in the world today.

Yup

That was the match this reign of Okada needed

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Sorry to be a pain, can I get clarification on this one? The card I looked up lists him as fighting Susumu Yokosuka, and Kagetora is listed as being in a tag match. There's a pre-existing nomination for Hikaru Sato vs Susumu Yokosuka so I'm just trying to figure out if this is a mistake or your nomination was for a different show?

I counted all the nominations from the previous thread already, yes, though your nomination in that thread was for Hikaru Sato vs. Susumu Yokosuka.

Sato Kagetora was the 2nd

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I stopped watching wrestling for less than 2 hours!

HM
01/01
CMLL Sin Piedad
CMLL World Tag Team Titles
Caristico & Mistico vs Cuatrero & Forastero

This was nominated by someone else in the end of the last thread so I'm just 2nding it

Also because it's the cool thing on wrestling Twitter I am keeping a spreadsheet of good matches here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VaHx_LLJsyHNKA74oMP8F2247xJ6rfFlGQBGG5UkgtM/edit?usp=sharing

Most of it will be stuff that I nominate here but there's also the Really Good sheet which is stuff that's not HM level but is otherwise fun or noteworthy somehow.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

HM: ELP/Ishimori vs Roppongi 3k

Fun match with lots of heeling but the heels getting their just desserts in the end!

2nd

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

HM: Zack Sabre Jr vs. SANADA, NJPW WrestleKingdom 14 Night 2, 1/5

3rd

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

HM: KENTA (C) vs. Hirooki Goto for the NEVER Openweight Title - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 2

They brought the hate and it was good!

Actually gently caress, never mind

5th January
MOTYC: KENTA (c) vs Hirooki Goto NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 5, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Kota Ibushi vs. Switchblade Jay White - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 2

A complete clusterfuck and a mess of a match but extremely entertaining and terrifying.

I loved it until the ending but there was too much fuckery. I know Gedo likes old territory stuff but sometimes less is more.

But yeah, I'll nth it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Chris Jericho, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14, 05/01

They made me believe

Yes

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Less than 1 week into 2020 and me keeping a spreadsheet of good matches.
6 MOTYC level (heretofore known as BANGERS), 8 definitely at HM level, 6 either at or near HM or otherwise fun & noteworthy somehow. And 25 on my "need to see" list across 10 promotions. There is no physical way I keep on top of this even as it's obvious this pace won't last.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

This is why I can only keep up with one company. My head would explode if I tried to watch anything more than New Japan.

Since getting back into wrestling properly in 2018 I have gone from New Japan only, in 2019 I added in Dragon Gate, All Japan, CMLL & NOAH or at least the bigger shows/matches from them. I skipped quite a fair amount of AJPW & NOAH undercards, DG openers are more entertaining. In 2020 I'll probably not end up watching ZERO1 or Wrestle1 unless something is bonkers pimped, I might dip more into DDT & Big Japan, I will continue to ignore WWE unless something is chronically bad like HIAC but with red lights but I'd like to follow more Joshi this year and actually watch some of the AEW episodes I record. I dunno, I heard some reports of stuff that happened on today's NOAH show and I just don't know I can't keep watching them when they are booking some of the best wrestlers of all time. Plus there are people who post in this thread that I generally trust the recommendations of and will try to check out stuff they pimp if I can find it, like with Devlin vs Starr last year. If it makes it sound worse I've also been watching old ROH along with the ThROH The Years podcast but that's less than 1 show a month on average.

I dunno, I'm at a point where I mostly phased out watching MMA, I barely have any interest in soccer outwith my own teams games, the stuff I did in my spare time 3 years ago isn't so interesting now so I may well indulge my wrestling fixation while I still have it, because wrestling is one of those since childhood that I've gone in and out of love with every few years. If it became a chore I'd stop but it's good poo poo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Hirooki Goto & Tomohiro Ishii vs. Shingo Takagi & EVIL - NJPW New Year Dash 1/6

BEEF BEEF BEEF FROM THE BEGINNING TO THE BITTER END ALL BEEF ALL THE TIME SO MUCH loving BEEF!

Beef Beef BEEF BEEF BEEF

BEEF

(That's an nth if you can't understand)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OK friends, Wrestle Kingdom is done. There is no wrestling until Friday so take this chance to watch one of the matches of the year so far, Kento Miyahara vs Jake Lee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XUM1bqZjfo

If you need an intro, okay. Kento Miyahara is the Triple Crown Champion. He won it in October 2018 & this is his 8th defence. He's the ace of All Japan, he's charismatic and an amazing wrestler and he can be a cocky prick sometimes but the fans love him. He's also just 30 years old & in his 4th reign with that belt. Jake Lee is the same age & initially debuted for AJPW in 2011, but he got hurt & ended up going into MMA after just 10 matches. He returned in 2015 so he's not as experienced as you'd expect. As time has gone on a lot of hope was placed on the shoulders of Lee as the future, and he can be an extremely good wrestler but a major thing holding him back is his fire, or rather his lack of it. But in 2019 they faced in the Champion Carnival finals, 1 night after Lee had to win a block match with Joe Doering & then a block decider with Naoya Nomura. Kento won but it was a breakout moment for Lee, just getting to the finals and then going 27+ minutes with the Best of the Best. After that they rematched in the finals of the Royal Road (AJPW's New Japan Cup equivalent) in early autumn, this time Lee got the win but it was flat. Lee just went back to lacking the necessary fire to be convincing. But he won so he got a title shot in October, this was almost as good as the Carnival, Lee held up his end and it felt like a fight.

So why is Lee facing Kento again? Well the real reason is despite undercards getting more fun, the Junior Division looking healthier than a while, the top of the card is thin. But the kayfabe reason is that on the final night of the Real World Tag League Lee & Nomura beat Miyahara & Yuma Aoyagi with Lee pinning Miyahara. It was a great match & one of the best tag matches I've seen outside of NOAH or Dragon Gate in 2019. Of course they then lost the finals to Violent Giants which is a big loving "WHY?" but that's not so important. Lee pinned the champ and gets rewarded with a title shot at the 2nd AJPW show of the year.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
2/1
Stardom New Years Stars 2020 Night 1
AZM & Kagetsu vs Stars (Mayu Iwatani & Starlight Kid)

A real fun tag match which features some silly spots, a lot of Starlight Kid being bullied by AZM & Kagetsu. The internet is telling me that AZM is just 17 & I know Joshi often start ludicrously young (Rina in the opener is 13 for goodness sake) but how the Christ can you be 17 and have 6 years experience? This is silly. And there's me being impressed that Jay White is just 27. It's good fun anyway

Makes me sad that Kagetsu is retiring soon

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 8, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah I'll go MOTYC for that as well

Kento needs to do a PWG or the G1 or some AEW to become a big international star this year.

Kento doing a BOLA would be loving amazing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
3/1
DDT New Year Special 2020!
Chris Brookes vs Masato Tanaka

Fun match under 10 minutes with a fun angle at the end featuring the DDT mascot whose name I can't remember. Pokotan apparently.

HM
3/1
DDT New Year Special 2020!
KO-D Tag Team Titles
Damnation (Daisuke Sasaki & Soma Takao) (c) vs Nautilus (Naomi Yoshimura & Yuki Ueno)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 9, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

People expect more from AEW.

Don't really know why :shrug:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

From Dragon Gate's Open the New Year Gate at KBS Hall 1/11

HM: Open the Twin Gate Title Decision Block B Block 1st Round Match - Masaaki Mochizuki & GAMMA vs. YAMATO and Ben-K

In a match with stakes and this much talent in the ring (and GAMMA), it was bound to be a great match. Kzy/Dragon Dia v. Fuji/Kanda and Hulk/Kazma v. Kai/SMJ were also good matches worth watching, if you're interested in getting a little taste of Dragon Gate before everything kicks of in earnest for 2020 at Korakuen later this week.

I will second this and also

HM
11/1
Dragon Gate Open the New Year Gate
KBS Hall, Kyoto
Open The Twin Gate Title Tournament Match
BxB Hulk & Kazma Sakamoto vs KAI & Strong Machine J

It might just be me but wrestling is improved with the dope stainglass window backdrop at KBS Hall.

Which makes Dragongate the 6th company of the year I've nominated for at least an HM and I'm going to watch at least a bit of the NYD Zero1 show to see if Hino Okabayashi is as good as it sounds like it could be, & the Big Japan show should be online in the next day or so, & then the NOAH 4/1 show by Wednesday. Hot start to the year at the very least.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 11, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
1/1
CMLL Sin Piedad
Arena Mexico, Mexico City
Hair vs Hair match
Dulce Gardenia vs Kawato-san

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
1/1
Zero1 Sushizanmai Presents Happy New Year
Kohei Sato vs Towa Iwasaki

It's 2 lads beating the absolute piss out of each other in a short but sweet match. Sato is a Hashimoto trainee from way back, Iwasaki is going into his 3rd year and is half the age of Sato but that's not stopping him from laying in those forearm shots.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
1/1
Zero1 Sushizanmai Presents Happy New Year
Zero1 World Heavyweight Title
Yuji Hino (c) vs Yuji Okabayashi

Two big fellas who run into each other and chop each other and do suplexes and it's very enjoyable. One for Beef fans.

Small warning if you've not seen Hino before, his very prominent outie belly button is distracting.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 12, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
12/1
Dragon Gate Open The New Year Gate Night 2
EIDION Arena, Osaka
Open The Twin Gate Title Tournament Round 2
Jason Lee & Yosuke♥Santa Maria vs Masato Yoshino & Susumu Yokosuka

HM
12/1
EIDION Arena, Osaka
Ben-K & YAMATO vs Big R Shimizu & Eita

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 12, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

If you dont watch this, you're loving up. Nth

People not watching Hino vs Okabayashi are loving up too, if just to be weirded out by how prominent Yuji Hino's belly button is and how much less silly than Will Ospreay he looks while wielding a sword.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Prepare for a bunch of recs to come in across the day as I make my way through the 4/1 NOAH show & possibly the 5/1 too.

HM
4/1
Pro Wrestling NOAH NEW SUNRISE
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Hideki Suzuki & Kinya Okada vs Kongo (Kenoh & Yoshiki Inamura)

Looking on the card this didn't stand out at all. Okada is just over a year into his career, Suzuki was trained by Billy Robinson (maybe his last trainee?) & started in the weird IGF fed before going freelance. He's in Sugiura-gun and they are in the midst of a feud with Kongo and this match plays off both Okada & Suzuki. Inamura & Okada start, young boy holds his own & then Inamura tags in. Kenoh wants Suzuki but Okada refuses to tag out and wants to test himself against a former GHC Heavyweight Champion. Kenoh has no respect for his strikes but that doesn't stop Okada from trying. Kenoh ends up kicking his head off and winning by KO. There's nothing ground breaking but I'm a sucker for really simple wrestling story telling executed really well (which is why one of my fave matches from 2019 Champion Carnival remains Aoki vs Miyahara, the Junior ace stepping up to take on the Heavyweight ace, the Heavyweight underestimating him and the veteran Junior doing everything he can with that advantage.).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
4/1
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Michael Elgin

Elgin in Japan is still decent fun. Nakajima rules.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Can I just say it's very drat confusing that you're talking about a match involving Okada and Suzuki on Jan 4th and it's not NJPW?

There's at least one other wrestler under 30 called Okada, and Dragongate has an Okuda just for added confusion

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

HM
1/12
EIDION Arena, Osaka
Kzy & Dragon Dia vs Dragon Kid and KAGETORA

If only for Dia's amazing performance and the spot where he and Kagetora just loving lay into each other with chops. So far the tag tournament has been a load of fun.

Meant to 2nd this.

HM
15/1
Dragon Gate Open The New Year Gate Night 4
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Open The Twin Gate Title Tournament Final
Ben-K & YAMATO vs BxB Hulk & KAZMA Sakamoto

Was a bit disappointed with this show today, I think I'm starting to turn on the Toryumon team because while they have some great people there are also an awful lot of guys who just need to retire or at least never feature outside of an opening match. Still, this match wasn't hampered by old dudes with nothing left to give and was fun, despite a bit too much in the way of nonsense shenanigans.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Probably not quite HM worthy but the 4/1 GHC Jr Tag title match between Stinger and Kongo is good fun. TBH the whole show is well worth your time, solid from bottom right to... 4th top is as much as I've seen so far with Jr Heavyweight, National and Heavyweight title matches to go.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
4/1
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
GHC Jr Heavyweight Title
HAYATA vs Yoshinari Ogawa

Think I'm beginning to like HAYATA more every time I see him

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Punch McLightning posted:

Is the Hayata match up somewhere?

The entire show is on Hisame's Twitter and is absolutely worth watching. Dunno about the isolated matches though since Rutube got ruined by demanding you sign up with a phone number before you can view video I've mostly not looked.

Talking of this show

HM
4/1
NOAH New Sunrise
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
GHC National Title
Takashi Sugiura vs Masa Kitamiya

You like thicc lads slugging each other and exchanging dangerous looking suplexes and poo poo? Then this is a match you'll enjoy

Hisame had the tweet pinned but replaced it but I found it anyway

https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1216827280590282757?s=19

MOTYC
4/1
NOAH New Sunrise
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
GHC Heavyweight Title
Kaito Kiyomiya vs Go Shiozaki

I strongly recommend you get this watched.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 19, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
19/1
NJPW Fantasticamania Night 7
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
CMLL Heavyweight Title
Satoshi Kojima vs Ultimo Guerrero (c)

Just fun times.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
20/1
NJPW Fantasticamania Night 8
NWA World Historic Middleweight Title
Caristico vs Barbaro Cavernario

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

There's no other place to put this and this isn't a nomination or anything but I watched a ROH show from 2004 earlier, Survival of the Fittest & the main event is a 6 man elimination match with Austin Aries, Bryan Danielson, Colt Cabana, Homicide, Mark Briscoe & Samoa Joe. They all had to win qualifying matches to get here. It takes less than 20 minutes for everyone to get eliminated (Cabana gets a sneaky roll-up on ROH Champ Samoa Joe, Briscoe pins Cabana, then Briscoe lands a German on Homicide but can't hold the bridge & the ref counts both their shoulders as down which is a bit silly, but leaves us with 20+ minutes of Aries vs Danielson and it loving rules. Danielson is just back from Best of the Super Juniors, Aries has been on 5 ROH shows before this one (including a Do or Die preshow match that barely counts) but he looks great. Danielson is Danielson. Dude does a bear hug in the biggest workrate promotion in the world, in front of deeply cynical smarky Philly fans & it gets over. He's so loving good. If this was 2004 I'd do a MOTYC for this but alas. But anyway, just thought it was worth singling this match out because it's surprisingly great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgbdHdDSIc8 if you have a spare 42 minutes and happen to be curious about early Joe & Bryan or 2004 ROH or just good fun wrestling.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

At the time this was a very well regarded match and led to Gabe getting the idea to do the Danielson/Aries match at Testing the Limit which originally was supposed to be like a 3 hour draw or something stupid, but instead was just an hour + best of 3 falls match.

I am dreading that match coming up. 75 minutes seems excessive. Even when he was a good booker Gabe sure had some silly ideas.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Hey this was some good stuff. I didn't know these wrestlers but now I do. Nth.

Go Shiozaki is great. He's been around for about 15 years now, he was a disciple of Kenta Kobashi alongside KENTA. He was in my favourite tagteam of 2019 as well, AXIZ, teaming with Katsuhiko Nakajima. And it's funny because 2 of Shiozaki's most legendary matches were tag matches AGAINST Nakajima, Nakajima & Kensuke Sasaki vs KENTA & Shiozaki from 2009 & Nakajima & Sasaki vs Kobashi & Shiozaki

As an added bonus, have the outstanding Shiozaki vs Bryan Danielson match. Long before the Honor Rising shows came out of the ROH New Japan agreement, ROH ran shows back to back in August 2007, one night in Tokyo & one night in Osaka. The Tokyo show was worked with NOAH, Osaka with Dragon Gate & so this was in Tokyo at NOAH's home venue, Differ Ariake. This is peak of his career in-ring Bryan Danielson against a guy NOAH were hoping would be the face of their company and while my memory is crap I'd say it's bound to be in the top 10 matches of '07.

NOAH has had some amazing matches and I'm glad it's having them again.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tiny bit short of HM but I got a kick out of the 2/1 Big Japan barbed wire board death match between Channing Decker & Drew Parker vs Masashi Takeda & Yuka Miyamoto. Mainly for Parker getting his hair stuck in the wire and ripped out.

An actual nomination

HM
2/1
Big Japan New Years Death Match
BJW Strong World Heavyweight Title
Daichi Hashimoto vs Yuji Okabayashi

It's weird to see Daichi and come away impressed but here we are.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
2/1
Big Japan New Years Death Match
BJW Death Match Heavyweight Title
222 Fluorescent Lighttube Death Match
Abdullah Kobayashi vs Takumi Tsukamoto

Death Match wrestling featuring Kobayashi eating a lighttube and Tsukamoto being suplexed onto a pile of glass dust into a fighting spirit spot. Definitely wouldn't want to be front 10 rows for a Big Japan show