Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Thanks everyone, I finished the text for Justice Sworn today and mocked up the basic format for the layout I'm going to put together. I have a new model I want to experiment with with this project, that's basically long term stretch goals with expert layout, more content, etc, coming if I hit sales goals for the game. Early Access but TTRPGs I guess. It's the best alternative I can think of for endless Kickstarters rn.

edit: kinda sorta put 2/3rds of it into the layout doc. Missing the last half and obviously very First Drafty but if anyone wants to take a peek, here it is
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pnejo1svdag18rq/JUSTICE%20SWORNPREVIEW.pdf?dl=0

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Anyone interested in pooling some existing games and other products into a bundle on itch.io and donating the proceeds to a bail fund or something similar? Alternatively, sending people download keys if they show transaction receipts for donations made in their own name (for the bundle or before the bundle)? It's easy to set up a publisher account if you're not already publishing on there.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

UnCO3 posted:

Anyone interested in pooling some existing games and other products into a bundle on itch.io and donating the proceeds to a bail fund or something similar? Alternatively, sending people download keys if they show transaction receipts for donations made in their own name (for the bundle or before the bundle)? It's easy to set up a publisher account if you're not already publishing on there.

I'm down for a bundle, absolutely.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I'd be happy to throw Strike! into a charity bundle.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

UnCO3 posted:

Yeah, I'd be down for tossing in some of my games.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Sign me up.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Cool, I've set up a discord server where we can sort stuff out. Anyone else who wants to get in can join too (if you're reading this after the link's expired, post again for a new one).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm not a dev but I'll throw in money day one and share the link around.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Oh, hey, this thread exists! Fellow goon MaxieSatan and I have been working on a game this past year based around the Resistance Toolkit from R&R&D - we just finished our first draft with all the mechanics. We call it Our Stormy Present, it's a sendup to classic JRPGs in tone and feel - daring adventures, hope, and optimism against the Empire. We really wanted to capture the feel of the Final Fantasies, Dragon Quests, and Chrono Triggers of our youth - when the games felt limitless and wonderful and wild.

There's some mechanical deviations from the Resistance Toolkit, first and foremost Domains are gone - replaced with Moods, representing your character's personality, values, and how they interact with the world. They're things like Idealism and Dread and Rage. Another big change with Moods is each mood also represents a weakness - Idealism might trip you up when someone is trying to dupe you, Dread would make it harder to offer mercy, and Rage means possibly flying off the handle when you lose things again, or when you have to keep cool under pressure. This is mechanically represented from switching from Spire Difficulty (lower the number of dice rolled) to Heart Difficulty - remove the highest roll die. The other big mechanical change is what you'd call Shadow/Reputation in Spire and Fortune in Heart are rolled into a shared party stress bar called Kismet that represents the Empire catching up with you and your allies, bad decisions coming back to haunt you, and general bad luck. There's a bunch of more minor things we've changed (every archetype has a Quest advance, several have more than one) - along with mechanics for a communal airship for globe-trotting heroics.

Right now we've progressed from drafting into playtesting the game, and it's been going pretty well so far! The Resistance Toolkit really provides some great tools for running games

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Len posted:

I'm not a dev but I'll throw in money day one and share the link around.
The bundle is here!

MIGIZI Support Bundle

MIGIZI is a Minneapolis organisation that supports Native American youth—unfortunately their building was damaged by fire last week, so they need donations to rebuild as well as run their usual program. So, here we've got a bundle with content from a bunch of game designers in Trad Games (Nemesis of Moles/Sandy Pug, Meinberg, Jimbozig, potatocubed, and myself). You can see all the games on the bundle page, a pretty diverse mix: some big, some small; some better-known, some a little obscure; a whole spread of genres and types.

The bundle will run until a week from now, and the donation should be able to be made about two weeks after that (a week for itch to process payments, then about another week for itch to process a payout).

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I didn't post in here because I'm a ding-dong, but I'm making some substantial progress on the release of my RPG grimDARK. Behold, a couple weeks of previews of grimDARK: A Fistful of Ashcan Edition

The Announcement
https://twitter.com/TheEldritchTomb/status/1263982761771175942?s=20

The Missed Date
https://twitter.com/TheEldritchTomb/status/1266262700507594752?s=20

The Preview
https://twitter.com/TheEldritchTomb/status/1268682871398715393?s=20

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I just put out my first ever game!

LAST SHOOTING

Cover by Simon Sweetman

Last Shooting is a 2-player game about mech pilots in a series of duels within a war. It uses the auction-based resolution mechanic from Final Bid, but in a new scene structure, and the way your list of biddable resources works is completely different. It is intended for single-session play, but with plenty of flexibility so no two sessions will be the same. Define your pilot, and destroy them in turn. The battle hinges on what remains.

PDF on Itch
PDF and PoD on DTRPG

This started as an idea I had at work one day last fall, and I've really enjoyed bringing it to this completed, professional-looking state. I'll probably make some more small projects every once in a while, but it feels good to have this first game done and hold it in my hands.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Congrats! That reminds me, I've got my own Final Bid hack in my WIP list (a drama-documentary about mountain climbers on the fictional tallest mountain on earth), but I started it when Final Bid was still just Law's Out. How much have the rules changed from one to the other?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Biggest change between them is Rises and Falls are no longer "early movie scene / late movie scene," but instead the Rise is "add more to the scope and possibilities of the movie" and the Fall is "answer questions/narrow the scope of the movie", and you can always either Rise or Fall when you get your major scene, regardless of who Rose or Fell before you.

There's also a lot of general improvements in Role design, and there's multiple settings now, and there's more/better advice in the book on how placing and judging bids works, and there's a final chapter on how to make your own settings and roles. It's an all around upgrade, but the Rises/Falls thing is the only real change in how the game works.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I released JUSTICE SWORN yesterday!
https://sandypuggames.itch.io/justice-sworn

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Congrats, I just grabbed a copy!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Cheers, thank you so much!

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

gnome7 posted:

Biggest change between them is Rises and Falls are no longer "early movie scene / late movie scene," but instead the Rise is "add more to the scope and possibilities of the movie" and the Fall is "answer questions/narrow the scope of the movie", and you can always either Rise or Fall when you get your major scene, regardless of who Rose or Fell before you.

There's also a lot of general improvements in Role design, and there's multiple settings now, and there's more/better advice in the book on how placing and judging bids works, and there's a final chapter on how to make your own settings and roles. It's an all around upgrade, but the Rises/Falls thing is the only real change in how the game works.
Thanks! That big change makes a lot of sense. Before, it did feel like a couple different things were over-condensed into one mechanic. I'll have to check out the new version at some point, then.

-

Cross-posting from chat thread:

UnCO3 posted:

I just published "Banned From Argo, an rpg" on itch! It's a Honey Heist hack (with some original rules) about Space-Fleet's finest taking some shore leave and generally raising hell, inspired by the (in)famous filk song of the same name. You create a crew member complete with a shirt colour (yellowshirts go boldly, blueshirts spout technobabble and protocol, redshirts... do what redshirts do), and you have two stats: A Little Fun and Too Much Fun. Oh, and a criminal record.

https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1270497166814052354

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I know it's been said in this very thread, but I still was not expecting the game I just put out to be so much more popular on Itch than on DTRPG. The split is stark.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Its wild how much easier marketing on itch is vrs dtrpg. You don't get any organic audience really but people seem way more willing to click a link to itch and buy from there if you can get the link on their feeds.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Cross-posting from the general chat thread:

UnCO3 posted:

Sorry to interrupt the discussion about eggs etc. (eggsetera?) but I just both published an update for one of my bigger games and released a new playset for the same!

Twilight Song v1.1 (my hack of The Quiet Year significantly inspired by Yokohama Shopping Log) is now public, with some minor edits and corrections and two major additions:
  • new support mechanics—a mix of safety tools and narrative guides like Microscope's Palette
  • a 'mobile play resource', basically a mobile-formatted, hyperlinked collection of rules summaries and oracles that condense all the digital stuff you need to play into a single navigable file
The pic on the right shows some snapshots of different parts of the mobile play resource! Likewise for below:

Midnight Signal, meanwhile, is a new playset for Twilight Song—where the original's a light, kinda cozy, but melancholic pastoral sci-fi game, this is a set of new oracles (and some small rules changes) with a dark, yet hopefuly bent that I'm calling 'pastoral weird horror' for lack of a better term. You collectively play an immortal narrator living in an oppressive world where horrors creep in the cracks, underground, and in the sky; you struggle with flickering friendship and the hostility of your community; you survive to the dawn of a better world. Where Twilight Song has some positive queer themes, this is from a darker, bitter perspective.

If you already bought Twilight Song before the update, check your email for a link to a 1-use coupon code sale where you can get Midnight Signal for 75% off! You can also download the v1.1 update free from the itch page. If you prefer DriveThruRPG, you can check out Twilight Song there (the files are updated, but I still need to get Midnight Signal up and see if I can do a restricted sale on DTRPG in the same way I can on itch).

EDIT: If anyone has a moment to boost this on twitter, here are the (re)launch tweets: [snipped for quote, check the links]
Twilight Song v1.1 relaunch tweet
Midnight Signal launch tweet
This is the second thing I've done mobile-formatting for after Four-Colour Apocrypha. It's neat, but definitely time-consuming to do all that on top of formatting a page-like pdf and building a .txt file.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 17, 2020

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Does anyone here have advice on actually setting up a personal publishing company (say, as an LLC or something), or is worrying about that sort of thing getting ahead of myself?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
The one person I'm aware of having an LLC here is potatocubed and as far as I remember it's a six of one half a dozen of the other situation (and they're at the level where they're running successful ~£10k kickstarters, not just starting out). They'd be able to tell you more, and correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Not an LLC, I'm afraid -- I'm set up as a sole trader, which is much simpler but I think less financially efficient than an LLC.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Sole proprietor here, it's relatively easy to set up, cheaper to do than an LLC where I live, and the various benefits of an LLC seemed marginal to me, and some of the restrictions were a pia for someone who's running everything all by themselves.

When I advise people on this stuff I have said worrying about this side of things is a bit cart before the horse. I worked without any kind of official Business Status for like 4 years before I made any really money and felt the need to set one up

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Cool, seeing as my work is limited to some barely finished contest designs and setting junk, I can probably afford to just put some stuff out there and do it live for a while. Thanks for the replies!

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Cross-posting some accountability from the general chat thread:

UnCO3 posted:

I couple weeks ago I and a bunch of SA-based designers ran the MIGIZI Support Bundle, an itch bundle in support of a Minneapolis org that supports Native American youth. For accountability, here's the donation receipt (just made today after ~2 weeks of payment and payout processing):

Thanks again to everyone who bought, shared, and/or retweeted the bundle!

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I just published a two-player psychological horror game, PYTHIA, about an AI -- the titular PYTHIA -- built from uploaded memories as part of a military-industrial project to render human labor obsolete.

Two characters -- the visionary AI psychologist in charge of the project that made PYTHIA, and the subject whose formative experiences were harvested for raw materials -- negotiate the slow erosion of PYTHIA's mind, as their memories are deleted, edited and rewritten, piece by piece, to serve the interests of the state. PYTHIA is diceless, collaborative (for certain definitions of the term) and has two possible end states.

https://twitter.com/avunvain/status/1278347114100162561

If you're interested, please consider checking it out!

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
I helped out with some design and layout advice for PYTHIA and I can confirm it's worth your money!

Cross-posting a game of my own, plus a summer sale with rising pricing:

UnCO3 posted:

I've just published the DEATH of NUMISMUS, a solo journal god-game about a dying god of coin, sundered by hungry adventurers breaking into their holy vaults and dethroned by jealous rival gods stealing back their facets of godhood! It's one of my entries into the Wretched and Alone Jam on itch.io,, and it uses tarot cards, a coin stack, and whatever journal-writing method you like. RTs very welcome, and give it a look if you're interested!
https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1278833493544493057

-

I'm also running a summer sale on 4 horror games and supplements:
  • The Cromlech Archives, a found-footage weird horror evidence generating game I released last year,
  • Over the Moon, a discord/pbp romantic comedy horror game about two people who love the moon a little too much,
  • Midnight Signal, a pastoral weird horror playset for my Quiet Year hack, Twilight Song),
  • and The Paperflesh Advent, a kaleidoscopic medicinal horror incursion for the rules-light Cthulhu Dark/FitD-based game Trophy Dark
The discount started at -50% and it's falling by 5% each day (so it'll be -15% or so on the final day of the sale).

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Yo yooooo, I've got a super simple quickstart edition of grimDARK available now because I got tired of people not reading it while I wait for PoD files. It's free on itch:
Clicky.

And costs money on DriveThru:
Clicky.

https://twitter.com/TheEldritchTomb/status/1278893905598197761?s=20

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
If you like Trophy incursions, here's one for you:

https://twitter.com/potatocubed/status/1280095761196294146

Pretty much all the incursions I'd seen so far were very physical in nature, even when the theme was something more nebulous -- so I decided to go for something more existential. Not 100% sure how well I landed it, but it's there.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Hey, I've put together a pitch form on Google forms for my latest project. Could I get some feedback on it please?

I'm specifically looking to know if it tells you everything you'd need to know to pitch me something, and if it has anything which immediately puts you off or is otherwise a huge red flag.

https://forms.gle/P3V9YBogiQsiNCqK6

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I have a pitch meeting with Ravensburger games tomorrow for one of my designs, Walking Doggos, and my roommate is awesome and made a new sell sheet for me.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

potatocubed posted:

Hey, I've put together a pitch form on Google forms for my latest project. Could I get some feedback on it please?

I'm specifically looking to know if it tells you everything you'd need to know to pitch me something, and if it has anything which immediately puts you off or is otherwise a huge red flag.

This is rad, and I'm signing up, but the second before last question is a stone wall for me, I dunno if it's just me but trying to answer how an dungeon idea will represent some unique and fundemental aspect of my self is a big enough ask that I was like Uhhhhh I'll come back to this later

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Yeah same, though that could just be the wording. 'Perspective' feels deeply intrinsic somehow.

The other thing is how much you're expecting for the pitch section right at the bottom.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of forms, we launched the Ald-Amura Historical Society Grant Project today. The short of it is we put aside a chunk of money from our Monster Care Squad Kickstarter and created a grant to help fans of the setting and the game build their own fan works. More details in the form but I figure some people in here might wanna get an application in.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf9mq-0t8voP2AEbfCH-MAQXk1v65C7CfGAs0FMmOGaP9-JFg/viewform

And my Kickstarter is:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandypuggames/monster-care-squad

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

potatocubed posted:

I think articulating the "perspective" somewhat differently would be better. It really depends what you are looking for but you might break that into a few questions. You might also provide an optional ability to check off some broad conceptual tags, like "horror," "low fantasy," "abstract/representational," etc.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Avery Alder did a thread on business practices that people here might find useful or interesting:
https://twitter.com/lackingceremony/status/1281790886532091909

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Speaking of forms, we launched the Ald-Amura Historical Society Grant Project today. The short of it is we put aside a chunk of money from our Monster Care Squad Kickstarter and created a grant to help fans of the setting and the game build their own fan works. More details in the form but I figure some people in here might wanna get an application in.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf9mq-0t8voP2AEbfCH-MAQXk1v65C7CfGAs0FMmOGaP9-JFg/viewform

And my Kickstarter is:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandypuggames/monster-care-squad
Yeah I saw the Grant form around on twitter—is there a final date on that?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
That's some pretty solid advice from Avery there. One of the things I think is kind of buried in the middle is that it's way better to get the hang of bookkeeping while you're throwing around hundreds of pounds and printing 50 of things than trying to get up to speed on thousands of pounds and print runs of hundreds.

E: Also, thanks for the feedback on my form. I'll tweak it a bit.

Double-E: I've tweaked it. If you wanted to sign up, it'll be open for a couple of weeks.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

UnCO3 posted:

Avery Alder did a thread on business practices that people here might find useful or interesting:
https://twitter.com/lackingceremony/status/1281790886532091909
Yeah I saw the Grant form around on twitter—is there a final date on that?

Probably around October when we pick people will be the cut off