Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

potatocubed posted:

Just filed my tax return for 2019/2020 and ouch. That number.

My tiny business seems to pendulum back and forth between 'kickstarter year, huge tax bill' and 'non-kickstarter year, tax rebate'.

The trick for me has been to over estimate the tax burden, keep it locked away, then you get a kinda-sorta-rebate when the time comes. But yeah I filed and did big cartoon dog eyes this year too

also hey friends its me Nems I run Sandy Pug games
[*]Nemesis Of Moles / Sandy Pug Games : Indie TTRPGs, card games, I make co-ops kinda?;
past projects include Orc Stabr, Americana, Disposable Heroes;
find me on itch.io, DriveThruRPG, Twitter.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm chatting with some people about a project they want to run. It's the next book in a growing universe of games they're building, and they're thinking of offering older games in the series as a pledge level on the Kickstarter. I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with that and how they went about it. My gut says it's a solid incentive for the base pledge level, but the group at large seems to want to make it a higher pledge tier, and I see the value there too.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

To occupy my time while I wait for art and crowdfunding assets for Monster Care Squad I started working on an ironsworn hack called JUSTICE SWORN that's kinda emulating the sort of Streets of Rage beat-em-up genre, and, predictably, it went from a quick and easy hack to a bigger, deeper game that I'm kinda wild wild about right now. Ironsworn and pbta's combat flow works so well for doing combos I'm kinda shocked its not more widespread, and directly emulating a video game structure, complete with Continues and Extra Lives is a blast. I'll share the doc in a bit when its a lil closer to done, but dang i love makin' games

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Here's the current draft!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dAXEGHsRcZc-8BNhvp9MPvsS2LvHoU93bRpbpgCEgnw/edit?usp=sharing
It's rough, but pretty serviceable for now, most of the content is from the SRD, but the conflict moves are where the fun combo system is. I think it has a really nice flow to it. Meter Moves need a little work probably but I'm gonna wrap this up and publish it soon cause trying to promote a little side project right before a Kickstarter sounds like a bad idea to me.

Justice Sworn posted:

Opener - When you have control, and you move in for a…
Devastating Grapple - Roll+TECHNIQUE
Brutal Strike - Roll+POWER
Unstoppable Flurry - Roll+SPEED
On a strong Hit, retain control and inflict 1 harm on your target. You may follow up with a Combo
On a weak hit, pick one - retain control, inflict 1 harm, move into a Combo
On a miss, your attack fails. Take a Hit. Your opponents have control

Combo - When you get a hit on an Opener and continue your assault, Roll+STAMINA and build your combo from the options below. You may select as many options as you like, but each option after the first adds a -1 modifier to your roll.
Full Power Strike - Inflict 1 harm
Unending Rain of Blows - +1 Meter
Calculated Throw - Inflict 1 harm to any other combatant in the fight
Grab a Weapon, Go to Town - +1 harm on your next attack
Launch - +1 harm against this foe, as long as your next attack is against this foe.
On a strong Hit, inflict the effects of your combo and retain control
On a weak hit, inflict the effects of your combo, lose control and Take a Hit
On a miss, Take a hit and lose control

Aerial Assault - When you attack an enemy you’ve launched, roll+SPEED.
On a strong hit, immediately start a Combo with a +1 to your roll.
On a weak hit, deal harm and retain control.
On a miss, take a hit and lose control.

Closer - When you successfully land a combo, you may surrender Control to instantly deal 2 harm to your current target.

I commissioned a friend to do the cover art, and I'll be using some tasty neon-poisoned cityscape shots for the artwork inside. Here some of the sketches he sent me, I'm thinking something very close to the old Streets of Rage box art

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 28, 2020

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Thanks everyone, I finished the text for Justice Sworn today and mocked up the basic format for the layout I'm going to put together. I have a new model I want to experiment with with this project, that's basically long term stretch goals with expert layout, more content, etc, coming if I hit sales goals for the game. Early Access but TTRPGs I guess. It's the best alternative I can think of for endless Kickstarters rn.

edit: kinda sorta put 2/3rds of it into the layout doc. Missing the last half and obviously very First Drafty but if anyone wants to take a peek, here it is
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pnejo1svdag18rq/JUSTICE%20SWORNPREVIEW.pdf?dl=0

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 30, 2020

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

UnCO3 posted:

Anyone interested in pooling some existing games and other products into a bundle on itch.io and donating the proceeds to a bail fund or something similar? Alternatively, sending people download keys if they show transaction receipts for donations made in their own name (for the bundle or before the bundle)? It's easy to set up a publisher account if you're not already publishing on there.

I'm down for a bundle, absolutely.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I released JUSTICE SWORN yesterday!
https://sandypuggames.itch.io/justice-sworn

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Cheers, thank you so much!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Its wild how much easier marketing on itch is vrs dtrpg. You don't get any organic audience really but people seem way more willing to click a link to itch and buy from there if you can get the link on their feeds.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Sole proprietor here, it's relatively easy to set up, cheaper to do than an LLC where I live, and the various benefits of an LLC seemed marginal to me, and some of the restrictions were a pia for someone who's running everything all by themselves.

When I advise people on this stuff I have said worrying about this side of things is a bit cart before the horse. I worked without any kind of official Business Status for like 4 years before I made any really money and felt the need to set one up

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

potatocubed posted:

Hey, I've put together a pitch form on Google forms for my latest project. Could I get some feedback on it please?

I'm specifically looking to know if it tells you everything you'd need to know to pitch me something, and if it has anything which immediately puts you off or is otherwise a huge red flag.

https://forms.gle/P3V9YBogiQsiNCqK6

This is rad, and I'm signing up, but the second before last question is a stone wall for me, I dunno if it's just me but trying to answer how an dungeon idea will represent some unique and fundemental aspect of my self is a big enough ask that I was like Uhhhhh I'll come back to this later

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of forms, we launched the Ald-Amura Historical Society Grant Project today. The short of it is we put aside a chunk of money from our Monster Care Squad Kickstarter and created a grant to help fans of the setting and the game build their own fan works. More details in the form but I figure some people in here might wanna get an application in.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf9mq-0t8voP2AEbfCH-MAQXk1v65C7CfGAs0FMmOGaP9-JFg/viewform

And my Kickstarter is:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandypuggames/monster-care-squad

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

UnCO3 posted:

Avery Alder did a thread on business practices that people here might find useful or interesting:
https://twitter.com/lackingceremony/status/1281790886532091909
Yeah I saw the Grant form around on twitter—is there a final date on that?

Probably around October when we pick people will be the cut off

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Frozen Peach posted:

I have a publishing offer on the table! Can't talk about, and don't want to talk about, the details until I have an actual contract in my hands, but that should be happening in the next week. Walking Doggos is going to have a slightly new theme and brand new artwork. An artist is already in talks with the publisher and I'm incredibly excited for how fast everything is moving along.

I can't wait to be able to share more!

Congrats!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm writing one of the entries for the thing above and i would also like your money

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

UnCO3 posted:

Some people here may be interested in Spear Witch, which is a new-ish US-based curated indie games store (a bunch of SWORDDREAM stuff but also things further afield). They mainly sell physical products (and do wholesale purchases from publishers), but can also sell digital. I'm in the process of getting one of my upcoming products on there for the US market, and depending how it goes I might go for more.

With the whole IPR thing I think there's been a surge of interest in starting up new small-scale distributors. We might see more in the near future.

Cheers for the heads up. Been meaning to hit them up, just sent a few copies of Disposable Heroes to them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Sandy Pug Games pays at least 12.5/word and usually shoots for 15, along with most of the folks I interact with on twitter. I'm aware that plenty of folks are happy to undercut that but as much as possible we're pushing for that 15c to be the new standard these days. Most indies I interact with shoot for a 10-15c rate where possible, and a lot of folks are more open to profit sharing and skill sharing arrangements to supplement that these days. Last week one of the Big Dramas on TTRPG Twitter was over a 1c/word rate that made everyone very upset and a lot of folks were posting their rates, probably worth checking out the QRTs and replies for some publishers and creatives thoughts on it if you can track it down/if someone else in thread has a link?