Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
This is a good thread, thanks for making it!

Tibalt posted:

2.) Does anybody have any advice on running a Zine Quest kickstarter? I've started looking at various kickstarters from the last round, and while I've noticed a few things, I'd really appreciate any insight people could offer on running a kickstarter as someone with no real credibility or notoriety.

I'll probably try and present some of my work here for feedback before Zine Quest 2 kicks off as well.

Zine here, Tibalt: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

01011001 posted:

Right now I'm doing some extremely basic layout stuff for the latter in Affinity Publisher (I like it though it's definitely got a few warts, happy to go into more detail if anyone's interested) between designing content. Is there a better way to find free, open-source fonts than Google Fonts? I've found a few through it that I like but most of them don't seem to have bold/italic variants, which I'd greatly prefer.

Not free, but grab a 1/mo subscription to an adobe product that gives access to adobe fonts when you're finished layout. I think the license is such that as long as you incorporate the font into a product during your subscription, permission to use is indefinite.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
p. sure that adobe has ~5000 free fonts too*.

* no caslon

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Pay What You Want is bad. Both because it devalues your work, and also because it contributes to a consumer expectation that RPG products should be as cheap as they want them to be. Which is bad for people trying to make a living at this (to be clear, not me)

Either set your price to zero and give things away for free (which is what most people do for price when they see PWYW pricing) or charge an actual price.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Nah. PWYW is effectively free; barely anyone kicks in money for that tier of product.

The difference between the two is that a free product is usually short and didn't require a lot of effort to our together, while a PWYW product gnerally took hours upon hours to create.

Posting PWYW products devalue the industry, full stop. If you don't have confidence in your product, release it for free. If it took you any amount of time and effort, charge for it, even if it's just a couple bucks.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

UnCO3 posted:

What people mistakenly or predatorially do right now is irrelevant - I'm not saying people should release well-considered and well-made work as PWYW instead of paid (they should do the opposite), I'm saying they should release small, quick, less- or non-tested work as PWYW instead of free. As I said above, agreeing with open_sketchbook, I think people's first or very early published games should fall in the second category rather than be big ideas they've been incubating for a while, even if not using the method they laid out.

I definitely agree that it's generally good for people to start small before writing their magnum opus.

I strenuously disagree that their efforts should be PWYW. It's free without the confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Stretch goal: pay your artists more money