Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, thanks for this thread! I've learned a lot already, and I think I'll actually be able to make a go of this game design thing now.

For your advice about selling on itch.io, would you say I should just use an existing account to sell stuff if I have one or would it be better to make a brand new one for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Frgrbrgr posted:

This thread (and specifically open_sketchbook's comment to just make a game that takes an hour to make) has inspired me to take on a challenge to make a new game every week this year. My first game is now live on itch.io: Apple Berry Canada.

Hey, I just read through Neon Midnight today, it was super interesting! That's a really neat way to translate Betrayal's mechanics into a PBTA game, what made you decide to use it as inspiration and how did you decide on the implementation?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
This might be kind of a broad question, but does anyone have advice for using a pen name or handle? Or would it just be better to use my legal name for anything I'm trying to sell?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

To occupy my time while I wait for art and crowdfunding assets for Monster Care Squad I started working on an ironsworn hack called JUSTICE SWORN that's kinda emulating the sort of Streets of Rage beat-em-up genre, and, predictably, it went from a quick and easy hack to a bigger, deeper game that I'm kinda wild wild about right now. Ironsworn and pbta's combat flow works so well for doing combos I'm kinda shocked its not more widespread, and directly emulating a video game structure, complete with Continues and Extra Lives is a blast. I'll share the doc in a bit when its a lil closer to done, but dang i love makin' games

Well, that sounds amazing! I'd love to see it, and now I know I need to read Ironsworn as well.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Here's the current draft!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dAXEGHsRcZc-8BNhvp9MPvsS2LvHoU93bRpbpgCEgnw/edit?usp=sharing
It's rough, but pretty serviceable for now, most of the content is from the SRD, but the conflict moves are where the fun combo system is. I think it has a really nice flow to it. Meter Moves need a little work probably but I'm gonna wrap this up and publish it soon cause trying to promote a little side project right before a Kickstarter sounds like a bad idea to me.

I commissioned a friend to do the cover art, and I'll be using some tasty neon-poisoned cityscape shots for the artwork inside. Here some of the sketches he sent me, I'm thinking something very close to the old Streets of Rage box art

Nice, thanks for sharing!

Meinberg posted:

My CATS-inspired game has a one-shot Actual Play!

https://twitter.com/PartyOfOnePod/status/1265830139235106817

Congratulations! Have you listened to it yet?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Congrats, I just grabbed a copy!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Does anyone here have advice on actually setting up a personal publishing company (say, as an LLC or something), or is worrying about that sort of thing getting ahead of myself?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Cool, seeing as my work is limited to some barely finished contest designs and setting junk, I can probably afford to just put some stuff out there and do it live for a while. Thanks for the replies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

UnCO3 posted:

Cross-posting: I just released a new tool that's probably useful for rpg designers:

Thanks, I grabbed a copy.