Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The first case from the first full production run of Budding Heroes has arrived! I had one case sent by airmail, while the rest is arriving by sea in a few weeks. I posted a thread on SA Mart at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920086 , all the info about the game is up at http://buddingheroes.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Every spell name uses a homograph so it can act like a context sensitive button

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The main shipment of Budding Heroes finally arrived from overseas, so I made a dedicated thread it as opposed to making occasional posts in various dev threads. I know a lot of people just focus on their bookmarks, so I wanted to post a link to it here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933979

I'd love any feedback/questions over there, and I'm trying to compile a list of reviewers to send the game to, so shoot me a PM if you have any ideas. Also, my SO and I are big board game geeks, so I'd be happy to trade a copy of my game for any of the ones in this thread!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Hell yeah, congrats to each of you!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Finally sat down to concentrate on making the sell sheet for my game, how does this look? https://www.buddingheroes.com/pdf/sellsheet.pdf

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Update on Budding Heroes, over 1.5 tons of cardboard, paper, and plastic are officially incoming!

Sentient Data posted:

It's been a long road, but there's light at the end of the tunnel! The booklets also arrived - I added them to the existing copies of the game that are already stateside, and on Wednesday I'll be mailing booklets out to everyone that already ordered a copy.

I also threw together a more easily printable version of the rulebook in case anyone wants to make extra copies, https://www.buddingheroes.com/pdf/rulebook-print.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I'm working on the script for the intro/pitch video for Budding Heroes, and I want to see if anyone has any thoughts before I give it the final pass and begin recording. When read aloud with pauses, it should be just about 4~5 minutes which I think is the sweet spot. There will obviously be visuals to go with it, and the parts where it talks about the character class cards specifically will use arrows to point everything out while they're on screen. Here's a different shot of the cards for reference:

Introducing Budding Heroes, the Tactical Combat Board Game

Budding Heroes is a fast-paced board game that beings RPG-style combat to players of all ages. It’s simple enough that beginners and kids can learn how to play it in just a few minutes, but it still has enough depth to bring a fun challenge to even the most experienced groups.

If you haven’t played a tabletop RPG before, think of it kind of like a cross between chess and a video game: tokens representing the players and bad guys are placed on a map, and the goal is usually to be the last team standing. The characters take turns moving around the map, and they attack their enemies or use special abilities to help turn the tide of the battle.

Every type of character is unique; they each have a distinct set of attacks along with different health, armor, and regeneration. The type of character is called its class, and the neat thing is that every class is represented on easy-to-read cards, just like these two. [Images of Demolisher, Enforcer class cards on screen]

As a note to those of you that have seen other RPGs, I’ll mention that there aren’t any equipment lists or skill trees to worry about – everything is baked into the character classes themselves. If you’re curious about why, that’s covered in the video on the philosophy and development of the game’s design.

Anyway, you can see that these two cards represent classes called the Demolisher and the Enforcer. [Arrows moving around as each part of the card is mentioned] Each class has its own health, armor, and regeneration information, along with a list of attacks. There are also the threat and endurance numbers down at the bottom, but you don’t need to worry about those during the game; they’re just used to help people create custom battles.

Health is pretty self-explanatory, it’s the character’s maximum health, and the amount you have at the beginning of the battle. If it ever reaches or goes below 0, the character is KO’d and can’t be revived.

Armor is how much damage the character gets to ignore whenever it’s attacked.
Regeneration is a fun feature that lets characters regain their health whenever certain things happen. In this case, the Demolisher heals itself whenever it deals a bunch of damage in a single turn, and the Enforcer heals itself when it gets a lucky roll on a status effect.

Each class also has 3 different kinds of attacks at its disposal. The primary and secondary attacks can be used as often as you want, but the special attack is very powerful and can only be used once before it needs to be recharged.

The icon on the left shows what type of attack it is, and the other symbols show how the attack deals damage or affects enemies. For example, this sword means that the Enforcer’s primary attack can hit a single target that’s up close, and the bomb over here means that the Demolisher’s special attack can hit an entire group of targets that are farther away. The game includes a quick reference sheet that explains what all the symbols mean, so you don’t need to spend time flipping through books to figure stuff out.

To make an attack, you just choose what you’re targeting based on the attack type, then roll the dice that are shown for that attack. Add up what you rolled, then subtract the target’s armor to see how much damage you dealt. That’s all you need to do, no other rolls or math!

The other symbols like Burn on the Enforcer’s attack or Blind on the Demolisher’s attack are called status effects, and they do things to your targets beyond just purely dealing damage. The How to Play video covers status effects along with other things like teamwork damage and actions that characters can use instead of attacks.

I know that may have been a bunch of information to absorb if you haven’t played an RPG before, but in those three minutes, you’ve already learned almost everything you need to know to play Budding Heroes! [End of cards/arrows]

The Budding Heroes Starter Kit has everything you need for two to five players to play the game. It comes with a set of six color-coded game dice, twenty five character class cards, eleven scenario cards, a quickstart sheet, the full combat rulebook, sixteen map markers, and twelve character tokens.

The game is designed to be extremely portable – you don’t need any map grids or graph paper, and the box is small enough that you can toss it in just about any bag.

The Starter Kit comes with pre-made battles that have different layouts, difficulties, and numbers of players, but you don’t have to stop there. You can combine the included enemies and players in different ways to create thousands of different scenarios, and the simple balancing tools will let you know exactly how difficult or long the battles will be!
For more information on exactly how the game works, check out the How to Play video. Pick up your copy of Budding Heroes, grab some friends, and begin your adventure today!

Other planned videos:
Budding Heroes: How to Play
Budding Heroes: GM Tips and Customizing Battles
Balancing the World: The Philosophy and Development of Budding Heroes
Using Budding Heroes in your RPG Campaign