Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dec 26, 2012

Hello, I'm not an official indie RPG publisher (yet). Somewhat working on it, though.

I've had a bunch of flop ideas prior to this that I ended up scrapping, but right now I'm working on two things which are pretty far along. The current "main" project I have is Trespasser. The elevator pitch is "what if STALKER, but in 1990, and the disaster in question is the Exxon-Valdez spill". Right now it's on hold because I have 90% of a draft but I'm deeply second-guessing things about it mechanically (especially if it even needs the existing, involved combat system...I'm leaning towards "scrap it" right now).

I think it's tradition for me to cheat on any given project with the next idea that pops into my head, which is why I'm currently working on a 13th age-based heartbreaker with the lovely working title 20th Path. I've switched from 1d20 to 3d6, I'm using a more 5e-ish Advantage/Disadvantage system, there are no traditional ability scores, Backgrounds/Rituals work differently, and I've overhauled basically every class thus far. That one's quite well along, the main things I'd need to add (prior to balancing, obviously) are magic items, a bestiary (which will largely be SRD-based), and I'd like to add in 2-6 classes (2 I know I want in for sure, the other 4 are less of a priority).

Right now I'm doing some extremely basic layout stuff for the latter in Affinity Publisher (I like it though it's definitely got a few warts, happy to go into more detail if anyone's interested) between designing content. Is there a better way to find free, open-source fonts than Google Fonts? I've found a few through it that I like but most of them don't seem to have bold/italic variants, which I'd greatly prefer.

Some opinions on section layout would also be appreciated. I assume the standard D&D setup (Intro -> Rolling -> Attributes -> Race -> Class -> etc) has been kept around out of inertia rather than some kind of logical layout reason but I can't in good conscience back that assertion up, nor can I think of what a better one would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

slap me and kiss me posted:

Not free, but grab a 1/mo subscription to an adobe product that gives access to adobe fonts when you're finished layout. I think the license is such that as long as you incorporate the font into a product during your subscription, permission to use is indefinite.

Good tip, thanks!

Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, at some point I'll throw crap on itch at the very least once I get something worth throwing. dafont/1001fonts are good refs too, so thanks for that.

The biggest issues I've had with Affinity Publisher so far (as someone who also came from MS Word) are:

• There's no in-editor TOC (you can insert a table of contents and that works well but there isn't like an easy one for quick reference and bouncing back and forth between chapters or whatever).
  • PDF exporting doesn't have any options for PDF bookmarks unless I've missed something big. I've identified a third party tool for this so it's not a huge-huge deal but it's kind of annoying if I want a quick export version.
  • Inline tables get weird and sometimes it freezes/crashes if you try to edit them. Sometimes you can avoid this by making them not inline, making edits, then popping them back in but that also gets weird sometimes. Sometimes it's totally cool with you editing them. It's a mystery.
  • It has a default thing it does with fonts where it changes the lettering slightly sometimes at the end of a sentence or next to certain letters, which drove me up a wall before I figured out how to turn it off.
  • At some point I accidentally got rid of fonts/section headings/paragraph alignment stuff from the top bar and I have no idea how to put it back up there.

I can't think of much else offhand though. In general it's pretty solid and I don't think I'd go back to Word.