Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Jimbozig posted:

Hey everyone, as I try to wrap up Ariadne and Bob and turn my full attention to the other projects I've got in the pipeline, I am getting into the final layout, playing around with using free art.

I need opinions on a couple of options for the textboxes for the layout:

Layout Test

I need to know a) which of the first two spreads is better?
and b) are they better than the basic no-background layout I currently have?

The background without the picture is better, because it's a complex picture that draws the attention, except that you can't actually see it. It doesn't really add anything to your layout, so the plain one is the superior option.

I would also look into finding a different heading font; the extremely fancy one you're using is a bad match for Minion as your body text (and in my opinion is generally unattractive).

Other advice: be more consistent about the amount of margin and padding you give to your text boxes and the secondary paragraphs of bulleted lists. Also, don't indent the first paragraph of a text box because doing so will cause you to go to a bad place when you die.

Consider making the "fantasy babble" and "power source helper table" boxes the same size and stretching the "example" text box to go underneath both of them, for a pleasing symmetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mr.Misfit posted:

Oh my gods, I cannot believe it, I actually released a new game! In german only for now but gosh golly, I'm so happy to have finished it for now.
I've written a historical rpg about playing mercenaries and controlling a company during the anglo-french "Hundred Years War", so if you can read german and that's for you, go take a look at https://mrmisfit.itch.io/soudard =)
I'm also planning an english translation but that's for the far future.

It's called SOUDARD, as you can see below, and it was my first project actually using Affinity Publisher 2. And gently caress me did I learn a lot.

That's right, buddy; make it happen!