Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Absolute newbie question, but where should I go to program a dice roller (5d6 v 5d6 out of pools of 10-20d6, counting 5s and 6s and removing 1s from either pool, until either pool reaches 5 or below) to playtest the base mechanics of a game? I'm pretty solid on that base rolling system, and have caveats for characters beyond the base, but rolling both sides 1000 times and documenting the results seems like the kind of thing AI was designed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Unfortunately, I don't know Python, but that was the first thing that popped up when I searched for modifying dice rolls. As I'm not a programmer, I came here.

---

Each player (of 2) chooses a character.

Each player rolls 5d6 v 5d6. Any modularity beyond that (which is where choosing specific characters comes in) is gravy.

Each character starts with 10-20d6 (depending on desired length of game), rolling 5d6 at a time (with some characters rolling 4d6 or 6d6), until either player gets down to a pool of 5d6 or fewer.

There is a Withdraw/Posture aspect that I want to include but I'm focusing on baby steps at the moment.

Each 1 (or 2 depending on the character) subtracts a die from the players' initial pool of 10-20.

Each 5 or 6 a player rolls that can't be matched with a 5 or 6 rolled by an opponent, is assigned as a mark against their opponent.

---

Each character has a slightly different set of rules. One hits on a 4-5-6, or takes damage from 6's only, or is able to turn 3-4's into rerolls. Things that could theoretically be tested by playtesting, but potentially accomplished faster by "playtesting" via AI.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Ha ha! That is way more effort than I expected anyone to go to and I appreciate the crap out it! Might as well give you more information...

It's a monster wrestling game I'm tentatively calling Wrestlevania.

Each player starts with 20 dice. They roll 5d6 at each other simultaneously. 1s are removed, reducing each players' pools. 5s and 6s count as hits, but only if they are unmatched by the other player. So if Player A starts with 20 and rolls 1-1-3-5-6 and Player B rolls 2-3-4-4-6, Player A is down to 18 dice and Player B is still at 20 but takes one hit. That part is fairly simple. Just rolling dice at each other is way more fun that it probably should be. Then it gets a bit more complicated.

Different monsters have different abilities. Frankenstein('s Monster) rolls 6d6 and deals damage on 4-5-6 but only takes damage on 6s. He's a big dude and can take more damage but he burns through his stamina quicker. El Chupacabros roll 4d6, dealing damage on 5-6, but taking damage on 4-5-6. Smaller dudes, and there's two of them, so they can theoretically last longer even if it's easier to hit one of them. Lots of similar mechanics for different monsters. Invisible Man's harder to dodge, The Mummy curses you to reroll, Jekyll/Hyde are reversed so they lose 6s and hit with 1s, etc, etc.

I haven't completely figured out the final round yet. Once one or both players take a certain number of hits (Probably 5-7) or get down to or below a certain number of dice (Probably 5). This might involve a whole separate phase of its own, or just be a complete free-for-all where everyone rolls the die they have left once one or both of the qualifications are met. Still not sure.

This is my first time even attempting something like this and I think it's going well but it was suggested I plug numbers into a roller and get results for a ton of games faster than I can sit and roll them myself. And that's before I start adding weirdo monster rules and the ability to catch your breath and remove hits while your opponent plays to the crowd and earns rerolls. It's technically PVP but you're still trying to put on a good show.

The whole thing is only supposed to take 10-15 minutes to play best of three (unless you really get into narrating werewolves leaping from the turnbuckles) and I'm hoping to fit all the components including rulebook and a minicomic inside a VHS clamshell to help sell the vintage feel. Maybe it even doubles as the ring you roll in. Trying not to let the superfluous aesthetic ideas interfere with the development of the game itself.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 9, 2024