Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

UnCO3 posted:

This thread is also not for promotion of corporate products. It's pretty unlikely that anyone here is responsible for marketing at a major tabletop games company, but this also applies to freelancers doing work for those businesses – advertise your work that you were contracted to provide them, not their product that you contributed only part of. This doesn’t apply to worker co-ops like the San Jenaro Co-op or to looser alignments like the UK Indie RPG League.

I've been inspired to try to create some original setting content for a SRD/Creative Commons/open licensed based rules system by a small (but arguably prestigious) publisher.

Recently that publisher further made resources available to self publish via DTRPG's Community Content program.

Thus I started looking for SA threads about this development, without much luck, but did came across this somewhat related thread. I'd like to discuss more but also want to respect the OPs wishes. May I continue or is it better I start a new thread?

This has been a very informative topic by the way, the work you've (and others) put into it is greatly appreciated. :3:

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

Thanks for the clarification. :yayclod:

The publisher I was referring to is Pelgrane Press and their Gumshoe rules system. Here's some info that might help others who are considering doing something similar...

They have had a Creative Commons (CC BY 3.0) based SRD (System Reference Document) version of the Gumshoe rules base for independent / third party developers to use in their own works for quite a while now. They did a recent update and revised the document to include One-2-One (single game master with single player) and QuickShock (alternative card-like system for managing injury and bonus/malus conditions.) rules. The SRD versions of the rules was released as reward level tiers in various Kickstarters.

The current as-of-this-writing SRD document can be found here: https://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php/the-gumshoe-system-reference-document/

Some weeks ago, a partnership of DTRPG and Pelgrane (re)launched a page to help folks make Gumshoe Community based content for some of their original settings:

- Original Announcement: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/cc/31/GUMSHOE-Community (Originally GC was just for one of Pelgrane's settings.)
- Updated Details Adding More Content to Utilize: https://support.drivethrurpg.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038227712

Curiously the Gumshoe Community guideline actually doesn't mention anything about the SRD and the GC guideline is a bit more restrictive than that the CC based SRD. (For instance, such works using content from the GC can only published at DTRPG. :nono: )

I made an inquiry about use of the SRD with GC specifically because the investigative scenario content I'm interested in writing / developing involves using One-2-One and QuickShock, of which none of the authorized settings of the GC content has (yet). And the response I received indicated that using SRD content wouldn't be an issue.

This leads me to infer that as long as I didn't include the IP specific content allowed from the GC, I could possibly publish that version only using SRD content at itch.io while also doing an extended/compatible with the GC settings version at DTRPG. (Possibly posting both at DTRPG as long as I am not chintzy about it, like the one version being just a stripped down version of the other or not being clear about how closely related they are to each other.)

Perhaps I may create a separate new Gumshoe thread to discuss setting specific details, since the last couple of Gumshoe threads are now archived. And would allow me to be more in depth about the Gumshoe settings in relation to the content I'd like to do.