Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I've been freelancing making maps for Delta Green for a little while now, and I've been itching to expand my creative mapmaking to other games. So if there's a goon working on a project or writing something that might need maps I'd love to talk to you. Some examples below. I tend to start most maps in GIS software which is a bit like using a 5lb sledge to drive a finish nail, but I find it really good when the map is based in reality.

I've also had one scenario published (About trying to stop dangerous artifacts from escaping a used car auction), and am slowly working on publishing another (An 80's romp through a cartel-controlled island) , though with the DG license it wont be for profit.

I'm hoping to both broaden my base of games I've mapped for, and to grow creatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I've had a very hard time standardizing rates for mapping. Because it might be a simple map that takes me a few hours, or it might be a two page spread of Mosul circa 2016 that I have to dig map data out of UN reports on the wayback machine for. So if anyone has advice on that route, let me know. I guess it should be closer to 'art' rates but who knows.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

homullus posted:

Hours spent is a good starting point. Some people won't get it no matter how much you explain it; some people might decide to reduce their costs by finding certain map data for you. A lot of art is priced at the intersection of Hourly Rate Street and Regulating Demand Via Price Avenue.

That can be tough to tell too but that's not a bad idea. Sometimes I think I should charge for excess revisions but usually it results in a better map so.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Actually since shameless self promotion is part of the thread, here's the centerpiece 2-page spread of Mosul. The gutter works pretty well in print, not perfect though.

Here's a map of intelligence agencies and groups the players can take advantage of. It was...interesting, trying to come up with an accurate Kurdistan.

The astute among you might notice that I shifted Jerusalem slightly west because on another map it needed room to breathe. Surely not a contentious decision.