Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Awesome Games Done Quick 2020 is over! A big thank you to everyone who participated in raising over three million dollars for the Prevent Cancer Foundation!

It's the tenth anniversary of Games Done Quick.

The very first GDQ marathon, Classic Games Done Quick, took place from January 1st to 3rd 2010 in Mike Uyama's mother's basement, and raised ten and a half thousand dollars for CARE.

It's been quite a ride since.

After nine AGDQs, nine SGDQs, and a scattering of smaller events like Harvey Relief Done Quick and Games Done Quick Express, Games Done Quick has to date raised over 22 million dollars for various charity causes, the two largest being Prevent Cancer Foundation and Doctors Without Borders.

And now, as the new decade dawns, here is Awesome Games Done Quick 2020, taking place from January 5th to January 12th!

=============

To get started, why don't you read up on the schedule? It will automagically adjust to your time zone, as long as you have Javascript enabled for the GDQ website. As the marathon goes on, some times can shoft slightly, due to runs finishing below estimate and other factors. You should usually be able to count on that a run won't start a significant amount of time before scheduled, but it's always good to be early. The schedule can also be found on Horaro, which also adjusts to your time zone.

You can watch the marathon at the GDQ main site, or on Twitch. The main site is usually preferable if you're going to watch through a browser, though.

Even better than watching through a browser is watching it in your media player of choice, by way of Streamlink and Streamlink Twitch GUI! They're easy to install and use. Note that things changed with Twitch recently that broke older versions, both needs to be updated to work.

If you miss a run you wanted to watch, don't worry! Even if you might have preferred watching live, recordings of all runs will go up eventually on the GDQ Youtube channel. The splendid website GDQ VODs, hosted by fellow goon Steve Holt, usually also tries to keep up with timestamped links to Twitch VODs during the marathon, and there's always a thread for the same purpose on Reddit. GDQ staff will make some effort to get at least temporary versions up on the Youtube channel during the marathon.

Discussing the marathon with other people while it's going is part of the fun too. This thread is one way of doing so. Don't touch Twitch chat ever. Do touch IRC and Discord.

GDQ IRC: #sdamarathon at irc.quakenet.org
Direct link | Quakenet Webchat
GDQ Discord

Goon IRC: #speedruns at irc.synirc.net
Direct link | synirc Webchat
Goon speedrunning Discord | Speedfriends Shitposting (go here if you want chat thread-style posting, now that there is no chat thread)

=============

To get decked out in GDQ swag and also donate some extra to the charity you will want to hit up The Yetee with their AGDQ collection of shirts, and a variety of other trinkets can be picked up from Fangamer. A portion of the sale price of each item will go directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation.

=============

So, I already touched on it at the start of the thread, but if you've somehow missed Games Done Quick entirely for the last ten years, here's a short education for you.

From the origins in Mike's mother's basement, Games Done Quick now hosts two big annual speedrunning marathons. Awesome Games Done Quick in January benefiting the Prevent Cancer Foundation, and Summer Games Done Quick usually taking place in July-August, benefiting Doctors Without Borders. Games Done Quick is, at the moment, the largest global fund-raising event for both charities. In 2014, AGDQ became the first marathon to break one million dollars, and last year, SGDQ became the first marathon to break three million dollars raised in a single event - as well as breaking the 20 million total, and as of this writing, the lifetime grand total for Games Done Quick events sits at 22,593,505 dollars and 29 cents.

All of the money raised during Awesome Games Done Quick goes directly to Prevent Cancer Foundation. There is no cut taken by any of the staff or participants, all attendees pay for their own travel and living expenses. You might hear people saying that they do get some of the money - the truth is that GDQ has become such a large event that putting it on is essentially a full-time job for many of the closest involved, so some of the core staff are employed to make sure that the marathon can happen as it does.

With hos big the event is these days, more work is always being put into improving the quality of the stream. But mistakes always happen, and with the sheer amount of tech involved, something can always go wrong. Delays may very well happen, there will be unforeseen problems. Just have patience, the tech staff on site will be finding those things even more frustrating than you.

=============

So let's get to donatin'! How? Like this!

Since 2013, Games Done Quick has used their own donation system, after the one they used previously crashed entirely during AGDQ 2013. There is a very nice tracker where everything happens. So to donate, you head over to the Awesome Games Done Quick 2020 donation page that I can currently not actually locate since it's not in the place where it should logically be so I will update this space with the link once I find it, where you can make your donation, leave your comment, see what raffle prizes you can become eligible for, and choose what donation incentive or bid war or whatnot you want your donation to go towards. If your comment is good, it might get read out on the stream, but... don't count on it, honestly. There's too many donations for that.

As mentioned, there's donation incentives you can put your money towards, which includes naming characters in games, playing extra levels, picking characters or difficulties, or even adding entire games to the schedule. All of these can be found on the tracker, of course.

So can the prize page is not, so start checking out when you want to donate for chances to win some cool stuff! You will be entered into the drawing for a prize by donating at least the minimum bid specified during the period it's available. The drawings will happen after the marathon is over. Buy-ins are generally 5-15 dollars, with some going a little higher. There are also five banners to win where you get entered into the drawing if you donate at least fifty dollars cumulatively during the specified period, no need for it to be in one donation, as well as one prize for a cumulative two hundred dollars donated.

So what's that $200 prize? Well, I'd love to show you, but there's no picture of it, as it's not an item that actually exists yet - it's a custom replica from Heroic Replicas. But I can show you some other stuff you can win!

Golden video game (comes with Goldeneye).

Stained glass that will let you pull the Master Sword and travel seven years forwards in time. Maybe.

Sanic pillow.

Bayonetta print.

Belmont bag, to carry all your subweapons in.

Stuff from some obscure Japanese game series.

Congraturation cross stitch.

Software you don't have the hardware for.

More outdated technology.

And this soft little thing.

=============

No longer really frequently asked questions but anyway:

Q: What runs should I watch?
A: This question has no answer. Read the schedule. Find games that you're interested in, or that you think will be interesting. Thread should hopefully have some recommendations over the course of the marathon. And everybody will tell you to watch the Awful Games block.

Q: Will ____ be there this year?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. There's been some, let's say, controversial runners/commentators in the past - it's for the best if we don't bring that up.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. GDQ has grown so much that it's not even remotely possible to let everyone who wants to attend have a game on the schedule anymore. There's going to be hundreds of people there, and while not all of them are runners, many games and people have had to be cut from the schedule to fit it into a weeklong marathon.

Q: What's this about GDQ banning fun?
A: Just a silly misconception. There's no fun police, and certainly no rules in place that state everything has to be super serious and clinical. A rule that is in place is that people on camera who aren't the runner shouldn't be taking focus or attention away from the run or the runner(s). When you're an event the size of GDQ, allowing people to do whatever they want on camera just isn't possible.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: AGDQ 2020 takes place at the DoubleTree Hilton hotel in Orlando, Florida.

=============

So... that's all I had to say, before we embark on this anniversaryful marathon. I just want you to remember why you're all here, which is of course the speedruns and the speedrun chat. Please, do not use this thread as a place to dredge up drama about marathons or runners or whatever things that happened in the past. Things that happen at AGDQ 2020 are fine to talk about, but don't let small incidents become thing they're not. Be wary about claims that fly around before anything gets confirmed. Above all, be respectful towards the runners, commentators, and all the GDQ stuff that put in the time and effort to put on this event for you.

Should you still have any questions, about the event, the organization, or something else relating to Games Done Quick - simply ask! There are a couple of goons that are directly involved with the event, some part of the staff, a few more simply attending as runners or general audience, and many other goons that are to various degrees involved with the speedrunning community in general. So there's a lot of us here who would be happy to answer any questions you might have, either in the thread or in the aforementioned goon chats, and do also remember that we have a general speedrunning thread too!

So let's enjoy another marathon together!

=============

Past marathon threads:
AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat) | SGDQ 2018 (Chat) | ESA 2018 (Chat) | GDQx 2018 (Chat) | AGDQ 2019 | ESAW 2019 | SGDQ 2019 | ESA 2019 | GDQx 2019

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I'll reserve this post. Cool? Cool.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:comfyoot:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hello

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
horny

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
hi

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Hello.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Prohibited

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Enjoy video game

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Ready to get comfy

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
:justpost::posthaste:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
missed the last event(s?) due to real life happening, looking forward to having a chill & good time watching this one :yeah:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Has https://gdqvods.com/ stopped working for anyone else? Tried a couple different browsers too.
The site is up but it only loads the background, nothing else.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
inb4 this thread is shat up by FYAD or CSPAM or something.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This has been my ritual every six months and I don’t particularly care about speedrunning. Hype!

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 5, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yo

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hi what's a speedrun

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Hello from the airport where there is no shuttle and it sucks

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
hello speedfriends

be comfy

be cozy

be pepsi

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

just gonna cooly swoop in here and be the first to complain about this week of free awesome content being done for a good cause we're about to receive: the last run should be another long chill jrpg, not frigging super metroid again

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

just gonna cooly swoop in here and be the first to complain about this week of free awesome content being done for a good cause we're about to receive: the last run should be another long chill jrpg, not frigging super metroid again

Maybe cfb will tell the audience to stand in front of a train this time or something and we can be done.

EDIT: That said Oats is a cool person so.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
hello

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Demicol posted:

Has gdqvods stopped working for anyone else? Tried a couple different browsers too.
The site is up but it only loads the background, nothing else.
Just checked and working fine right now for me.

Brother Entropy posted:

Would it make you feel better to know that it's Super Metroid but with spikes goddamned everywhere and a bunch of extra ridiculous wall jumps and etc?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Time to go fast.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
will oats and enigma be able to act like nothing big is happening as the counter shoots over 4 mil and the entire crowd is going ballistic

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i want the Babus card from that ff bundle

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I know it was said not to dredge up drama but I'd like to note that Chibi is in the house. It's not just the Tomba 2 thing, he always does something to alienate everyone.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

I'm ready to james

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Wrapped up our second pre-show rehearsal. Apparently pressing a play button 6 times at the right time is very difficult.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
Time to see if my rewrite of GDQ VODs holds up and doesn't end up costing me 10x more than it used to.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/TheSuperSNES/status/1213584742853029890?s=19

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

my parents boyfriend posted:

I know it was said not to dredge up drama but I'd like to note that Chibi is in the house. It's not just the Tomba 2 thing, he always does something to alienate everyone.

he's always around and he's pretty low down my list of people I'd find bothersome

unless he did something particularly bad I'm not aware of, just be cool lol you don't gotta be weird cos he was in a meme once

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
also i'm working over most of the week so lol I probably won't catch like any of this

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

how does he do it

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.
Y e s s s s

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

he's always around and he's pretty low down my list of people I'd find bothersome

unless he did something particularly bad I'm not aware of, just be cool lol you don't gotta be weird cos he was in a meme once

I think the worst was when he was very transparently after a girl at SGDQ 2018 and got too drunk and threatened a guy who was talking to her. I'm not saying he's dangerous or anything. Certainly not.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
punchy you will be missed, hope you get to watch as much as possible

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
speedrun your work shifts

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Its a testament to gamers that chibi isn't the most annoying person on the goose game discord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I like this show, I will watch and enjoy.