Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I want to say that the in ring stoicism is expected and you're not supposed to say much during interviews while an active wrestler. Just look at the difference between Kisenosato when he was a rikishi vs. an oyakata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
it would be amusing if the rikishi could go nuts and cut pro wrestling promos dohyo-side which would likely ramp up the interpersonal animosity a great deal.

i can see that it doesn't pair well with everything else about the sport, the organisation, or the culture in which the organisation exists.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Marching Powder posted:

it would be amusing if the rikishi could go nuts and cut pro wrestling promos dohyo-side which would likely ramp up the interpersonal animosity a great deal.

i can see that it doesn't pair well with everything else about the sport, the organisation, or the culture in which the organisation exists.

I have just the thing for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEDkLMTrKqU&t=135s

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Shiroc posted:

Remember Kisenosato? He's back! In Nanoblock form.

Is that an official set? I might pick it up, even though I'm sure people will make fart jokes about it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Holy poo poo I thought this was just gonna be a short bit, but this is...an entire show? Wow.

The yobidashi voice acting is amazing!

Brut fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 28, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Maigius posted:

Is that an official set? I might pick it up, even though I'm sure people will make fart jokes about it.

Yeah. I'd gotten it from here https://sugoimart.com/products/sumo-yokozuna-nanoblock?variant=32788110639203. They're sold out right now but you might be able to get it somewhere else or ebay.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1398393567001841670

Show your friends this picture and see if they know what they're looking at.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

speaking of sumo and pro wrestling.....
(for those ignorant of the latter hiroshi tanahashi has been a top guy for years in the top pro wrestling promotion in japan)

https://twitter.com/thauros_/status/1398289448836734984?s=20

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Here's a Kotoyuki retirement video put out by the NSK, some talking, some matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNOkxNX7Es0

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

People will remember him for his hooting, but to me he’ll always be the guy who had his hands taped up like Zoidberg claws.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Martytoof posted:

People will remember him for his hooting, but to me he’ll always be the guy who had his hands taped up like Zoidberg claws.

Same. I wondered what had happened to him but I couldn't remember his name, only the claws.

Is he going into coaching now?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Same. I wondered what had happened to him but I couldn't remember his name, only the claws.

Is he going into coaching now?

Oyakata Changelog posted:

2021 Apr 14 Kotoyuki retires and becomes Kimigahama-oyakata (on loan).

Yup!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
im having sumo withdrawals, cant believe i have to wait a whole month

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

pseudodragon posted:

The other 2 just look like rando journeymen, not real prospects.
Hey now don't go disrespecting Sokokurai's protege and first sekitori as an oyakata

From a 2017 interview:

quote:

Eight years since he entered the stable, Kenneth, now 23, weighs 156 kilos and is a lot stronger than he was. At his recent tournament in Nagoya, he won six out of his seven matches.

And he may have a secret weapon: his mother’s cooking.

Traditionally, sumo wrestlers eat a lot of chankonabe, a protein-rich Japanese stew served in massive quantities with rice, to help them pack on the pounds. But Kenneth still prefers his mother’s sinigang.

“Bago ako lumaban, laging Filipino food ang kinakain ko. (Before tournaments, I always eat Filipino food.)

Catherine would cook up a storm before tournaments, making sure Kenneth and the other wrestlers of Arashio have plenty of Filipino food to enjoy. “They really like adobo and nilaga too,” Kenneth said.

Even Sokokurai, the strongest wrestler of Arashio Stable, is a fan of sinigang. “They like it especially in the winter. They say the soup keeps their body warm,” Catherine said.

But for Kenneth, the best thing about being a sumo wrestler has nothing to do with food.

“I am able to help my family in the Philippines,” Kenneth said. “Napapatuwa ko po sila. (I bring them joy.)”

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
God what a missed opportunity, not having Kenneth as his shikona

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Vargatron posted:

I want to say that the in ring stoicism is expected and you're not supposed to say much during interviews while an active wrestler. Just look at the difference between Kisenosato when he was a rikishi vs. an oyakata.

If you get promoted to ozeki or Yokozuna you are permitted a solitary, manly tear while you promise to do your best .

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Kenning posted:

code:
				Maegashira		
-5	Dias			    20		Scythe		   -4

Wait, shouldn't I have dropped 8 ranks since I didn't submit draft picks, Everyones Favorite Poster and Biosys dropped 8, and the rules state anyone that "fails to play during a given basho they get the maximum demotion for that tournament (or maximum +1 depending on whether it's an odd or even number of players)"? I mean I didn't actually have 8 ranks of space to drop given my previous M16 rank but I could've dropped 6, so I don't understand the rules.

Feels ridiculous to be arguing myself into a bigger demotion but I gotta get extra incentive to post my picks on time next time.

Also, can we get the fantasy rules edited into the OP? It's not too bad to dig through Kenning's posts in the thread, but new posters definitely won't know to do that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The maximum drop this basho was 11 ranks, but no one actually got that on the banzuke. If you were m1 and didn't participate you would have dropped to m12 or so, but everyone who did not participate was fewer than 11 ranks from the bottom of the banzuke. As a result, all the non-participants were moved, as an ordered block, to the bottom of the banzuke below the debutantes. This block starts with Diplomat at m19e. Because you were m16w you just got moved down to your position in the block. Biosys also didn't participate, but they were above you in the block of non-participants and so had farther to fall, and Everyone's Favorite Poster earned an 8 rank drop from m4w and landed at m12e. Jobbo_fett and anakha both earned 10 rank drops but were cushioned to 7 ranks by the bottom-of-the-banzuke weirdness.

When this thread was restarted in PSP there was some discussion of doing an annual reset. Would be a decent opportunity to describe the current storylines in sumo and add the fantasy rules etc. I'd be down to get one prepared for when the next banzuke is released, unless Rigel wants to reset the thread.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like John Gunning is taking a supposed three year social media break for some reason. He scrubbed all his twitter and reddit posts to boot. Weird way to take a break but ok.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

no longer on the sumo discord i occasionally talked to him on either

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I think next basho might be good for a reset since it could come with it the final basho of Hakuho and the rise of a new yokozuna.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Looks like John Gunning is taking a supposed three year social media break for some reason. He scrubbed all his twitter and reddit posts to boot. Weird way to take a break but ok.

lol what the gently caress? is he going to jail or something?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
That is 100% 'I've caught a case' behaviour.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Man, I hope John Gunning is okay and nothing happened to him/he didn't do anything. He's such a great English language sumo resource :(

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I think next basho might be good for a reset since it could come with it the final basho of Hakuho and the rise of a new yokozuna.

Yeah, that's a good thought. I'll start working on something to try and have ready by early July when the banzuke publishes.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I mean okay anywhere else and my post might be more serious but it's Japan so he probably just got a job where not having a social media presence is part of the contract or something, wouldn't be too surprised if "Jack Pistoling" pops up later with familiar looking info.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Yeah 3 years sounds odd unless it's a contractual stipulation? +1 to the "hoping he hasn't done a bad thing" crowd though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

He mentioned he still has access to all his media and can be contacted via DM or something so I doubt it’s anything bad.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hell, with a social media blackout like that, he could have joined a stable.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

New headcannon, he joined Sadogatake-beya and will be doing maezumo as Kotoguningu in Nagoya.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

He’s making a comeback on the dohyo.

Element of surprise will be on his side. No one expects a 48 year old white dude.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
He seems to be ok:
http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/40870-john-gunning-taking-a-3-year-social-media-break/

John Gunning posted:

Much and all as the thought of a mysterious disappearance and subsequent enjoying of various online theories amuses me, it’s probably best to follow up on that tweet in case anyone is concerned.

It’s nothing to do with negativity online. I always enjoying chopping it up with people on social media or wherever. I don’t often get a lot of negative feedback but even when I do it never bothers me. In fact anyone doing what I do should be happy to get criticism and hear contrary views. Apart from keeping your feet on the ground it’s extremely valuable for both ensuring your arguments are sound and understanding how audiences are evolving.

Regarding the sumo book. That was finished and with the publisher in spring of 2020. It was due to come out last month but Covid and shifting economics in the publishing industry has led to it being pushed back to 2022 or possibly even 2023. I’m considering a major rewrite and perhaps taking some offers from bigger publishers but we’ll see. Anyway I’ll try to get that out within the next 18 months.

The projects I mentioned in the tweet (wasn’t talking about the book as that is basically finished) are extremely time consuming and require constant attention and focus. Mostly science related but there are a few sporting ones in there as well, including one or two (hopefully very impactful) sumo things.

I’ll still be doing all my usual sumo stuff for Japan Times and NHK. I’m back from a two basho kyujo break on Grand Sumo Preview for July and once COVID is under control color commentators should be returning to the booth.

Everything is good. I’ll miss the back and forth online for sure but it’s only a few years. In mid 2024 I’ll be done with those projects and back as normal.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Yo I vaguely remember someone in here asking about learning Japanese via Sumo, the videos Chris has been putting out the last couple days have been as close to that as I've seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYQhO68kbA8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0mvYM8sHVQ

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The nichonage is so cool. NHK has a few more clips of it https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/techniques/24/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Same principal as one of my favorite judo throws, just gets better when done by giants.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Not quite nichonage, but Ama/Harumafuji's utchari-on-the-bails remains one of the most amazing throws i've ever seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAcx6BLVGWE&t=286s

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Harumafuji also did similar to Asashoryu and threw him down so hard the arena shook and Asa walked off with a limp

Owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M991LO-yzus

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Sumostew has done a little retrospective on Harumafuji's career.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh3ENrUEMUU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just watched that. Man I really really wish he hadn’t beaned someone with a remote :(

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Harumafuji also did similar to Asashoryu and threw him down so hard the arena shook and Asa walked off with a limp

Owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M991LO-yzus

I'd have loved to have been watching at the overlap of Asashoryu and Hakuho - Asa seems like such as beast.

I think my favorite throw is this yaguranage Hakuho pulls on Okinoumi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPYuc2EDtTQ&t=711s

You think you're just about to get a kinboshi and you get demolished at the last possible second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I bought a gunbai

It has a paper that based off Google Translate's not very good photo translation seems to tell the story of how they got associated with sumo?