Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Shiroc posted:

I bought a gunbai

It has a paper that based off Google Translate's not very good photo translation seems to tell the story of how they got associated with sumo?

Woah, weird seeing a phone number written with traditional numbers. Cool poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1403283512455614464

Asanoyama banned for a year, salary cut in half for six months

His career is toast

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

His career is toast

Nah he's young. He'll make it back. In 2 years time.

That's slightly harsher than I expected but not as harsh as it should have been.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

How far will that drop him in the rankings?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Chinook posted:

Probably bottom of division 3 by the time he steps back on the dohyo. So expect to see a repeat of Abi and Ansanoyama getting two yushos as he goes back into Juryo then into Makuuchi again. His 50% pay cut for 6 months is more of a punishment to be honest. Also his coach is getting a 20% pay cut for 3 months.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If he had won eight instead of seven before he was forced to pull out he would have been able to shave one tournament off his plummet. I wonder how much difference that would have made.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Chinook posted:

Brut posted:

Kadoban Ozeki in July, Sekiwake in September, probably about M10 in November, and then somewhere in Juryo for January of next year.

This was what I was thinking when it was gonna be 3 tournaments, if we add 3 more to it that...that's one in upper Makushita, one in lower Makushita, and one somewhere in sandanme...so depending on exact placement he's likely gonna be deep in Sandanme by the time he's allowed back, if not even lower.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Lol let's see if he gets back up to ozeki

Edit:this is divine punishment for being a boring ozeki

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1403337882618761217

lmfao this is wild

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

All that for sneaky handjobs and stale sake

Hope it was worth it

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

punishment seems fair imo. that's a hefty and warranted suspension but he can continue his career. just to show how not toast he is take a look at where the kaiju had to resume his career from and he obv wasn't nearly at the form he is now as he dropped a jonidan playoff match and one in sandanme.

health isn't going to be an obstacle and asanoyama should fly up the lower ranks as abi just did.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Thauros posted:

punishment seems fair imo. that's a hefty and warranted suspension but he can continue his career. just to show how not toast he is take a look at where the kaiju had to resume his career from
I thought Godzilla: Final Wars was awesome.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Southpaugh posted:

Lol let's see if he gets back up to ozeki

Edit:this is divine punishment for being a boring ozeki

Asanoyama pulling off the Terunofuji comeback - Heel edition - would be pretty funny to be fair.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

It essentially kills his Yokozuna chances even if he goes full Teru and destroys everyone coming back up. Based on Teru’s run, 1 year suspension and then at least 2 years to get back to Ozeki makes him over 30 by the time he gets back to his current position. Still enough time to have a good career, but a bit old for a real Yokozuna run at the end (even if they don’t summarily dismiss him for character reasons).

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The year suspension straight up destroys his hinkaku - he'll never be yokozuna

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

aoiyama.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Let's all remember what's important here.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

:hmmyes:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

His career is toast

Was the retirement paperwork a formality that was always expected to be rejected?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Marching Powder posted:

congratulations to takayasu for his dominant performance to ensure his kk. people said he was insane when he called asanoyama on a blocked number and in a weird falsetto claimed that he was a hostess at his favourite hostess club and was very horny and needed a big, successful man to complain about how his sumo isn't up to standard.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I don't think Asanoyama was going to make Yokozuna, regardless of his suspension.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The reporter was male and their relationship was "intimate"? Am I missing something, or isn't Japan really homophobic so that would add another shade to the scandal? Or was that not what was meant?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

The reporter was male and their relationship was "intimate"? Am I missing something, or isn't Japan really homophobic so that would add another shade to the scandal? Or was that not what was meant?

Intimate can mean very close, or very familiar, not necessarily sexual in nature. Like you can know how to build PCs intimately for example. It is a strange choice of word though.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Yeah it's just a slightly ambiguous translation, the original uses 親しく, which is a pretty standard word covering close/friendly/intimate.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I really don't care for demotions as a punishment.

First, I don't think it's going to be a huge penalty for the wrestler. Abi dropped down to Makushita #56 and he easily bodied his way back up to juryo in two bashos with a 14-0 record, and I expect he'll push through to makuuchi pretty easily as well. Asanoyama's gonna drop lower, yeah, but a former ozeki is just gonna stomp through the lower ranks without a problem. It's going to be irritating but not difficult.

And second, I think it's unfair to the rikishi in the lower divisions to disrupt their rankings and promotions by dropping a sekiwake down there to stomp on them. "Asanoyama has hosed up majorly and as a punishment we're going to make him slap you guys around for a year before he gets back up to salaried ranks". It's always rubbed me the wrong way.

Sub Rosa posted:

That's an English digest of the Japanese source, so I think it may just be an awkward translation.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The demotion isn’t just about the rank though IIRC. I don’t recall exactly how the salary structure works but if I’m not mistaken once you fall out of Makuuchi your salary drops, and once you slide out of Juryo you are no longer salaried. So it’ll take a while but he’ll definitely be taking a financial hit for at least a few months and during his rise up. He’s Ozeki so presumably he’s got a fat reserve so it may or may not actually affect him day to day but who really knows.

I’m actually not sure how it works if you tumble back down to low levels, do you have to become subservient to higher ranked wrestlers again?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

It fucks up his legacy as a rikishi. He doesn't have the personal pride of someone with an unblemished record and people will think better of the guy who is more lowly ranked and never missed a basho than Mr. Shame himself asanoyama. It is kinda hosed up that some kids/lower ranked dudes will have their own progression hosed up by a goddamn former ozeki coming into contention but one could argue that the opportunity to wrestle a highly skilled opponent is worth it considering someone who is normally winning at that rank they'll probably only drop the one extra match to him and that needs to be considered.

The purse hit is significant and the legacy damage is unmistakable. Particularly when asanoyama has basically failed the old men who were supporting/boosting him as the next Japanese yokozuna. Who knows maybe he still will be the next Japanese yokozuna, however many years from now. (he won't be)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Thar Chris sumo youtube guy is saying that asanoyamas senior who has thrown him under the bus was actually forcing the younger wrestlers to break quarantine so they could take him to hostess clubs etc

So asanoyama is having the book thrown at him to avoid looking deeper into all the older, grumpier dudes who are breaking the rules constantly

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Asanoyama could've strung two good tournaments together and made it to Yokozuna if this thing hadn't happened. He looks the most like a Yokozuna out of all the guys at the top of the standings not named Terunofuji.

The question now becomes who is going to fill that slot of being the next possible Yokozuna candidate? Takakeisho is inconsistent and a pusher. Shodai is Shodai. Hoshoryu is still very raw and doesn't seem to be improving a whole lot anymore.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone can separate themselves from the pack in the post-Hakuho era.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Wakatakakage, he just needs to be like 5% better

He is like a dam that's almost about to burst, if only...!!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You guys are going to feel real sheepish when it turns out the next Yokozuna is Akiseyama.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Long time Juryo dude and big salt thrower Asahisho retired. Apparently popular on the talk show circuit due to his fondness for hijinx:

Really just an excuse to repost my favorite sumo photo.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

If wrestlers aren't getting paid below juryo how long do they grind it out? What kind of support can a failed wrestler get?

Is someone like hattorizakura (he's the guy that never wins, right?) just screwed when it comes to job prospects?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

they can grind it out as long as they want and their bodies can do it. the oldest active rikishi is a 51 year old who debuted in 1986 and has never made it pat sandanme. and yeah, i've never quite been able to figure out where on the inspirational-tragic spectrum guys like him and shonanzakura (fka hattorizakura) lie as they're basically lving for room and board and prob face limited prospects outside of heya life.i know many of them become cooks as that's a necessary skill non sekitori have to learn and utilize daily

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanakaze_Daisaku

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ilmucche posted:

If wrestlers aren't getting paid below juryo how long do they grind it out? What kind of support can a failed wrestler get?

Is someone like hattorizakura (he's the guy that never wins, right?) just screwed when it comes to job prospects?

You do get some money in the lower divisions as can be seen in Chris Sumo's video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbgN_jTrK_Q

So Shonanzakura (ex hattorizakura) will be getting some money, but not very much. As for after sumo I think it's a lot like other professional sports, you're left to get on with it, you find quite a few wrestlers have gone to university and have some sort of qualification but i can't really speak with much authority on the issue, it is an interesting topic I'd like to know more about. VICE did a short video where they visited two wrestles after retirement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rySF09shELs

bessantj fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 12, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
They're not totally on their own - the koenkai (support groups) that fund either individual rikishi or heya will often use their connections to set up retiring wrestlers with work after they retire, from what I understand.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Elissimpark posted:

They're not totally on their own - the koenkai (support groups) that fund either individual rikishi or heya will often use their connections to set up retiring wrestlers with work after they retire, from what I understand.

That can be really hit or miss though, depending on the Heya, your length of time in, rank achieved etc.

I feel bad for the 17-19 year olds that are going to lose what could have been their 3rd and 4th division Yushos when Asanoyama comes back and curbstomps the lot of them, but yeah he's not making Yokozuna without a hellacious run. No more rule bending for him, I dunno what the Japanese version of "The Great White Hope" is, but Asa lost his golden boy status hard.

The fun question is where do those hopes go now? Sure, technically Takakeishō COULD be on a run, but in your heart you know it can only be one man......as a nation turns it's lonely eyes to Shodai!

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'd actually really love if shodai got his poo poo together.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Same but Takayasu

He is so inside his own head that he should be paying rent

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

After Kisenosato, Endo was the next Great Japanese Hope until he suffered his knee injury. Keisho was next, followed by Asanoyama.

If nothing else, Asanoyama's fall from grace should hopefully make the grumpy old farts ease up on Hakuho some, unless they want to face a Yokozuna drought the way they did pre-Akebono.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I mean, Hakuho basically announced that July is the last hurrah, so we're in a no-kozuna era for September unless Terunofuji wins in July or loses a playoff at 13-2. If that latter outcome happens both he and Takakeisho are theoretically up for the belt, but that would be pretty wild.