Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Cuntellectual posted:

Mostly lesbians? Where did you hear that? I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I just have only ever noticed gay dudes or straight women (or bisexuals).

Endorph never said "mostly", she said there's a lot of lesbians who are into BL, which is true and a recognized phenomenon. Akiko Morishima even mentioned it in a short autobiographical comic about going to a lesbian otaku meetup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

that its kind of sexist and conservative even if she can respect aspects of it

yeah i remember reading an interview quote from takeuchi about uranus and neptune that was something like "i believe that a masculine and feminine person could be attracted to each other regardless of gender" and just going "uh okay you're halfway there i guess???"

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Wark Say posted:

A few things:
  • A couple of goons (mostly Burrito and i think Bees too?) have been sharing a bunch of LGBT comics with me via discord on the reg. Both know their poo poo real well (especially if they have tsundere characters, which I'm a sucker for)
  • I tend to like stories which are arts-driven (even though I failed to include it in my "Best of 2019", I absolutely loved Given), mostly due to the fact that one of the ways I earn money is arranging/composing/recording music via these badass babies.

Have you read After Hours? It's a shortish (3-volume) yuri manga series about a woman who meets a DJ and gets introduced to the world of music.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Namtab posted:

Someone give me a link to this

I'm assuming it's Love DNA XX, unless there are multiple manga with the same fairly specific premise.

edit: oh well apparently i was right but also this post is redundant

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Also I know it's not a manga but does anyone read Mage & Demon Queen? I am a big fan of the princess that just got introduced.

It's good and she's good

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

lunar detritus posted:

I'm not sure if I should ask here or in the shoujo thread but any recommendations for completed manga with a trans main character (or at least part of the main "group" if that applies) that's not overly tragic or sad?

One of the three main characters of Himegoto: Juukyuusai no Seifuku (:nws: warning) might be a trans woman (the manga is sorta vague about how they identify but it's easy to read them that way). The story is hella soapy and full of drama but ends on a pretty positive note.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Bloom Into You has an asexual side character, but it's a romance story and the asexual character's role in the story is kinda defined in relation to the romances occurring between people around him, so that's probably not really what you're looking for.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Toumei na Usui Mizuiro ni?

:same:

Yep. It's also officially licensed in English as Transparent Light Blue, by the way, if you're looking for a way to throw some money at the author. There are also some bonus one-shots included, since the story would be a bit short to fill a volume by itself.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 6, 2020

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Xun posted:

Wasn't Cross Ange the one with the......evil....baby? It ended up being about lesbians?!

Cross Ange is what you get when you cross a mecha anime with a women-in-prison exploitation movie. Temper your expectations accordingly.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Cephas posted:

Are there any good manga that deal with being lesbian, bi, or trans with that kind of heavier, psychological treatment? I feel like most of the gay psychological dramas I've read are mostly about gay guys, like this one and Shimanami Tasogare. Trans ones I can think of off the top of my head are bokura no hentai and that one seifuku one about the three hot mess characters and their awful relationships

Sometimes I just want vicarious catharsis through anime suffering

Have you already read My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Octave and The Feelings We All Must Endure are probably worth reading if you haven't.

Toalpaz posted:

h-hime... himegoto? Does that count or no?

That's the one with the three hot mess characters and their awful relationships, yes. It's good.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So uh, I'm sorry for kinda being cagey about the issue and stuff but is there a decent, non-public place to ask questions wrt a handful of potential lgbt issues? idk, I'm kinda split in a lot of ways and don't exactly know where the proper places to even start asking are

How non-public do you want? There are gay and trans threads in the BYOB chat crew subforum, and they have associated private Discord servers if you can find someone to vouch for you and invite you.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

SubNat posted:

I'm sorry for branching off from that important discussion, but:
Does anyone have any suggestions for good series with a BL/mlm bent to check out? (Trans men too, but considering how rarely they're represented I'd be surprised to see a series with them.)

(...)

And while slice of life and romance are fine and dandy on their own, it would be neat if there are some series out there that lie more in fantasy, scifi, etc.
If anyone has some good stuff that -isn't- highschool oriented then that's great, since it feels like the 'awkward highschoolers' setting is basically the default setting.

Based on that set of interests, you might want to check out Yuureitou; it's a horror manga set in 1950s Japan and featuring gay and trans characters, although be warned that as you might expect from that description it goes to some pretty dark places.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

egg tats posted:

I'm not saying this doesn't happen, but I've literally never seen someone point at a person presenting as cis and declare them an egg.

my ex used to do this a lot but she had a very specific combination of "lack of respect for other people's right to self-determination" and "deep distrust of all cis people", so she decided that anyone she liked had to be trans whether they knew it or not. there is a reason she is my ex

i think it's fine to use when talking about yourself or your interpretation of fictional characters though

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Isn't this sort of the opposite of a trans-inclusive story? It's about someone who's gender doesn't match up with their body, so they have to change their gender to match their body?

In terms of a story about learning not to bully people and all, it achieves its goal fine, but if you're reading this for a trans-positive one, it's like the opposite of that.

i get where you're coming from and you're not wrong, but in general when trans people read stories about someone suddenly ending up in a new body like that, you can assume they're going "oh no, it sure would be unfortunate if that happened to me" in the flattest of monotones

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Mikl posted:

PSA, since I just noticed it: new Fuzoroi No Renri material is coming out on the reg.

Oh hey, a serialization happened while I wasn't looking. Neato.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

renessia posted:

I don't think there's anything ambiguous about a girl yelling "i'm a girl!" and ripping her shirt open to reveal a trans flag bra and later wearing The Trans Jacket :p

but, case in point! many people take away many different things from the show. just try your best to do a charitable read if you give it a shot.

I was considerably less positive on that bit because my read on it was that all of that stuff wasn't literally depicting Momoe as trans but was attempting to equate the struggles of a probably-straight cis girl who's frustrated that girls keep crushing on her with those of a trans boy facing corrective rape. there's too much stuff from earlier episodes that doesn't really fit with Momoe being trans, and tbh the whole "handsome girl at an all-girls' school who gets treated as a substitute for a boy" archetype being used unexamined for her would be pretty weird if she is meant to be trans

and I really was trying to be charitable to the show but at some point all the times it hit a wrong note built up to a point where it was hard to do that any more

so uh yeah, if you're gonna watch Wonder Egg Priority i'd recommend going in with an awareness that a lot of people found that the first few episodes were really strong but that it gradually started to fall apart after that

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 3, 2021

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

it seems very love it or hate it. i'll probably never get around to it, there has been other gay stuff recently that looks more interesting to me so its a low priority.

it's also not gay btw, don't go in expecting yuri or you'll be even more sad than otherwise

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

yeah just warning you because the second half kind of demolishes anything in the first half that looked like it might have turned into a gay relationship

there is a character whose entire thing is "wow it's so inconvenient that these girls all get crushes on me" and somehow her character arc ends up being the most hetero of them all

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

this thread is only popular when talking about stuff people don't like but nobody here will read relationship guidelines with me or play lady in mystery and i feel like this is a form of bullying

relationship guidelines seems cute, i will commit to reading it as my next webtoon

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Yuu Morisawa posted:

I started Yuri Kuma Arashi recently, and it's... interesting

It took me until the final episode to decide whether I thought that anime knew what the hell it was doing or not.

(In the end I thought it did, but a lot of people disagreed)

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

On a different note, what was that manga where the MC gets broken up with by her partner and then goes off to live in an island town called? I forget most of the details but I think it was on manga plus.

The official translation is Days of Love at Seagull Villa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

That's the one. Was it any good?

It was pretty good, I think. The ending was relatively low-key for a Naoko Kodama work but it wrapped things up well enough, and the antagonist character who shows up halfway through manages to be a plausibly manipulative jerk without being cartoonishly evil. Not the most memorable thing I've ever read, but cute.