Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Read Family Compo by Tsukasa Hojo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I like Angel Sanctuary.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

Well thanks, but I'll tell you the place I'm coming from: I get sick of the amount of rape in this genre of anime, and it's why I'm largely done with it. I feel like the best queer stuff I find is in manga, which is why even though I'm not into the bara subgenre I find stuff like My Brother's Husband (about a western bear-type meeting his husband's Japanese family) a bit easier to deal with. I've asked around why there's so much rape in yaoi, but I've mostly asked women, and the answer I get most often is along the lines of "consider how women view the male-dominated society in Japan." Which is to say nobody actually draws lines between the points, but men do still have a lot of privilege in Japan. Gay men less so.

Out of curiousity. Did you ask Japanese women this?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Libra posted:

Last time I was in Japan there was a big meetup for non-binary and lesbian folks nearby and it was chill.
While bureaucracy and laws are still garbage for lgbt people in Japan, I think most people's ignorance of trans and gay issues is a more innocent lack of knowledge as opposed to the "burn in hell" stuff you'll encounter elsewhere.

That's my take too. When I was with some older Japanese guys at a bar and casually mentioned I was gay, they just kept asking me questions about dick sizes in my country vs Japan, when did I realize it etc. I think Japanese people are just really curious about foreigners, especially ones that aren't just endlessly going on about anime.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Also speaking of Love Stage. There's going to be a live action movie of it. Instead of casting Izumi as a girl or making his actor super girly looking, it's just a regular guy. (also they got Daigo to play the anime version of himself)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4-6xJsZ-YI

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Also, I'm sure someone might know what this manga I read a while back but it was basically a kinda BL manga where it was an all boys school but a bunch of students crossdressed because of one reason or another? I started reading it a long time ago but didn't get far and forgot the name and was interested in checking it out again to see if it was good, and it does seem relevant considering the earlier talk about otome danshi.

Sounds like Princess Princess, tho its not really BL but more heavily implied. Its more of a comedy manga, tho the anime does have a pretty BL ending sequence. Then again its been ages since I read it (was my first non-shonen thing so I could have forgotten some things.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Watching Namu Amida Butsu Rendai Utena, basically Touken Ranbu except with cute shinto deities doing cute things, and realizing that in all ways except the physical I am a fujoshi.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Enkidu is literally a pile of sentient clay. He's more agender than anything else.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Togainu no Chi is on Steam now. Never expected that to get a proper English release. And DRAMAtical Murder is next too... what a time to be alive.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

RottenK posted:

are they any good?

I still need to play both. But I did watch the Togainu no Chi adaption and it was okayish... though it did cut out the more hardcore bdsm/gore stuff for obvious reasons.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
A friend clued me into Hypnosis Mic, basically cute boys doing hip-hop things. And in July there's going to be an anime about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRalkTceCXA

It's actually pretty decent stuff to listen to too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ-SE6dhjAg

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 1, 2020

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

so is there hypnosis involve

Kinda.... the plot of Hypnosis Mic:

quote:

After war, women have taken over ruling politics in the Chuo ward and have banned and destroyed weapons. This has caused men to fight through rap battles using Hypnosis Mics, which can be used to affect people's sympathetic nerves and influence their thought process. However, the legendary rap group, The Dirty Dawg, has split up into four groups, each representing a division of Tokyo, Japan and engaging in territorial battles using words and the Hypnosis Mics.

Its kinda like vocaloid though, so most "plot" things are told through songs, albums, side material like manga and now the anime.

Hilariously I first learned about this stuff because there was this one meme where a Hypnosis Mic cosplayer tossed a mentos into a coke bottle in his living room and quickly tried to drink the result before it ruined his table:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GUUMDeTXzs

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I enjoyed Ranma for like the first 3-4 seasons like 20 years ago, but it never really gave me a reason to go back and actually finish watching the show/start reading the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Re-reading Family Compo. Basically one of the low stakes, family drama/comedy manga I can stomach thanks to a good writer/art (City Hunter's Tsukasa Hojo) and cool characters/plot (Teenager moves in with his transwoman aunt and transman husband and their ???-gendered teen offspring).