Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
im gay and from time to time i watch an anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
As a queer person I just wanna personally thank sports anime for being an LGBTQ genre by default.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
What I love about Gundam is how they realized the real target market is girls who wanna see angsty pretty boys fighting in giant robots.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
I have to admit the most gay anime i've seen is Noir. Which isn't very.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
I just want a trans manga that reflects the reality of being trans, so it should mostly just be shitposting on twitter and fundraising enough money to move across the country to live with your girlfriend.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Endorph posted:

the bride was a boy, yeah, though its mostly about the author's marriage. both her parents and her husband's parents are supportive so it isn't exactly an acerbic takedown of a transphobic society but it gets into a lot of the legal issues in japan, so it's worth a read if you want more info on that.

I've actually read that one, I liked it but it did feel like it was more aimed at teaching cis people about being trans.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
So, I started watching akanesasu shoujo and the general vibe of the room was everyone hated it.

I cannot account for the tastes of my friends but that is a bad omen for me. I can kind of understand the criticism of it, although I found it alright.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
The only part of that which sounds like a punishment is that if you wanna stay a girl forever you can't have a girlfriend. I think I could deal w/ that though, might make that trade.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
All I want is for my isekai to have the self insert turn into a girl AND have a girlfriend. Is this too much to ask.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
my dream anime, what if yuri on ice- but w/ actual yuri

Endorph posted:

implying lgbt without actualyl saying it. sometimes its what you said sometimes it's more behavior based. a good example would be a lot of 90s disney villains, like scar. lots of tossing his hair around, kind of fabulous voice, treated as a contrast to the hypermasculine mufasa who's married with a kid, big showtune, eloquent, that kinda thing. that's a character who obviously isn't explicitly gay but has those elements for one reason or another.

ofc as time's gone on its lost basically all meaning

also for some reason 90% of the time the queer coded character has to be the villain and has to die, that's not specifically a part of coding but thanks disney.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 1, 2020

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
I think it happens in anime/manga too, usually it's like not coded, just the gay or trans character has to commit suicide or end up actually not gay/trans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
I can think of one example from the past 10 years, but yes thankfully it's a pretty dead trope.