Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Isn't this mostly gonna cover the same things that the shoujo/romance thread does? :v:

Insurrectionist posted:

Cool I'll give it a shot

The synopsis makes it sound very strange in a funny way, that the MC apparently thinks the correct way to help his classmate make friends is to suggest they work at 'a girlyboy cafe' which has to be multiple faux pas simultaneously even by the rules of comedy manga

I really like that manga. That said be careful, the other connected work the author made is very nsfw.

Or seek it out if that's your thing, whatever, but you probably won't want too look at it at work or on the bus :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Anime made me gay.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Bi man over here anyone know any manga about male bisexuality?

Love Me For What I Am, kind of.

https://mangadex.org/title/29840/fukakai-na-boku-no-subete-o

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

look i dont think you're coming from a bad place or anything but

1) 'You have to accept that this stuff is made for Japanese women who are often in toxic relationships with men who display misogynistic behaviors.' what???? a lot of the women who like bl are lesbians and even the ones who aren't are usually using bl to explore their own sexuality, they aren't just accepting it blandly as common fact. the point of having stuff like that isn't 'wow, this is what normal romantic relationships are like!' it's because they're attracted to the idea of a taboo, passionate relationship.

2) you're really overselling the amount of times this stuff actually comes up in BL, especially more recently made stuff, as well as how its possible to handle it well or handle it poorly.

3) 'the intended audience is so is accustomed to a culture of men raping women, that men raping other men seems logical.' this is just straightup racist lol. japanese women, they see rape as logical! thats how misogynistic japan is!

4) 'gays'

5) there are gay men who are into this stuff too, the topic's way more nuanced then you're giving it credit for.

6) again, love stage is based off a manga from a decade ago by an author who's been working in the genre for twenty, a lot of more modern stuff is pretty far beyond those tropes. they obviously still crop up but I wouldn't take them as representative as all mainstream bl or anything. 'all this rape' is a pretty strong mischaracterization.

Mostly lesbians? Where did you hear that? I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I just have only ever noticed gay dudes or straight women (or bisexuals).

At any rate, I do think the whole "oh s/he's going to say no a few times to play hard to get" thing is pretty common in anime/manga. Not that it isn't in western media, but I think both straight and gay manga still use the idea uncomfortably commonly. That being said, it might just be a case where it sticks out in my head a lot more when I notice it than the other times when it's played better, idk.

Kinda interesting how the stereotype, true or not, is that "yuri is pure, yaoi is rapey" though. Yuri seems to have the stereotype ring true more often than not (I mean I wouldn't read trash like ntr trap if there were more better options I knew about), though that seems to be changing a bit.

I don't really know much about yaoi though, I'm not really into it. (well there's that one subgenre where one guy is crossdressing but i assume that's really problematic for other reasons. :v:)

Endorph posted:

A) you literally do
B) should have been this way from the thought imo.

i m o that's a bad way to go about things, either seriously or as a joke, but whatever.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 30, 2020

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Thuryl posted:

Endorph never said "mostly", she said there's a lot of lesbians who are into BL, which is true and a recognized phenomenon. Akiko Morishima even mentioned it in a short autobiographical comic about going to a lesbian otaku meetup:

Oh, I have no idea why I read that as "mostly" lol.

I'm just bad at reading.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Arianya posted:

Boy this thread went places when page 5 hit

Anyway read Magical Trans/MagiTora

I still don't know how I feel about that.

Did the MC ever actually indicates he (she?) is actually interested in staying female or just liked dressing up in fetish outfits as a woman?

Archer666 posted:

That's my take too. When I was with some older Japanese guys at a bar and casually mentioned I was gay, they just kept asking me questions about dick sizes in my country vs Japan, when did I realize it etc. I think Japanese people are just really curious about foreigners, especially ones that aren't just endlessly going on about anime.

When I was in Japan people kept asking me if I'd heard about Ranma which was kind of amusing.

I also found that people were less on edge about the 'how' things were asked, which I found kind of relaxing.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 31, 2020

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rody One Half posted:

Magical Trans is caught in a push and pull of wanting to play it all off as a joke and having MC melt into a puddle of ooze when prevented from going girlmode.

I feel like the former kinda paints the latter in a negative light.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

Not all trans manga needs to be angsty and depressing. Sometimes it's ok for a manga to just be about how awesome being a girl is.

Yeah but I mean, "hey he wants to be a girl" is also constantly presented as a punch line so I sort of suspect that isn't what they were going for.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I mean in those examples the joke is getting orgasmically happy over eating something.

If you like it, whatever. That's fine. I thought the mc feeling himself up, getting excited over looking at his naked reflection, and peeking at his own panties was kind of weird.

I think it's fine but I stopped reading it like 5 or 10 chapters in.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stalin-Chan posted:

I just want a trans manga that reflects the reality of being trans, so it should mostly just be shitposting on twitter and fundraising enough money to move across the country to live with your girlfriend.

I think there was that one autobiographical one, though I might be muddling it with something else.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Wark Say posted:

I... don't know what my deal is. I thought for the longest time I was bi since I've been in relationships with both men and women for all of my adult life, but after a number of things happened throughout these past 3 years in my personal life, I don't think I feel comfortable with things like saying "Oh, I'm like this". Like at some point I'm going to have to sit down and ask this to myself and like figure something out, but coming from a background where I used to get called "marica/maricon" (which are among the meanest homophobic slurs someone can drop on you at least down here in México) on a regular basis for most of his adolescence and part of his adulthood, I'd rather take my time. The one thing I'm sure as poo poo, though, is that I'm not straight.

A few things:
  • A couple of goons (mostly Burrito and i think Bees too?) have been sharing a bunch of LGBT comics with me via discord on the reg. Both know their poo poo real well (especially if they have tsundere characters, which I'm a sucker for)
  • I tend to like stories which are arts-driven (even though I failed to include it in my "Best of 2019", I absolutely loved Given), mostly due to the fact that one of the ways I earn money is arranging/composing/recording music via these badass babies.

Honestly, labels are overrated. Just be attracted to who you want to be, or nobody.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
FWIW growing up I definitely remember people using queer as an insult.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Does anyone remember what that one genderbend manga was called where the main character abruptly enters a cocoon at one point and it's never brought up again?

Someone mentioned at one point it has an interquel, and I forgot the name. (Though apparently it does the "well im a girl now so i guess i like guys" thing)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
yuureitou was really bizarre, but I think I liked it. It's kind of a blur.

There was the gay guy who kept denying he was into men and like half of the main characters were some gender identity other than cis?

I can't remember when it's revealed Tetsuo is a trans man but I do remember feeling a bit jealous. I... think that was the first 'serious' (ish) portrayal of a trans man I'd seen in media? Not counting crossdressing stuff where the person in question doesn't identify as male.

At any rate, gave me some pondering.

Was the one person (Tsukasa or something like that) in .hack//sign a trans man? I vaguely recall them having a male character and being female in "real life" but not the reasoning behind it.

There might have been another anime or manga like that but I can't remember if it was before or after yuureitou.

Snooze Cruise posted:

read "living with my former living brother (now dead) currently living wife (now mine wife)"

Hey that might not be yuri! It's still up in the air!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What is Akanesasu shoujo anyways?

Thuryl posted:

One of the three main characters of Himegoto: Juukyuusai no Seifuku (:nws: warning) might be a trans woman (the manga is sorta vague about how they identify but it's easy to read them that way). The story is hella soapy and full of drama but ends on a pretty positive note.

Himegoto is trashy af and I like it. It does get weird in places though.

Something I was going to post in the 'suggest a manga' thread like, years back but ended up not doing because I figured people would get me weird looks:

https://mangadex.org/title/6497/bokura-no-hentai

Bokura no Hentai. It's about three boys who crossdress for various reasons (One is trans, the other two are... Harder to sum up). Also pretty soapy and good.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I find it weird people still use "anime" as a descriptor, as if there isn't absurd costumes and drama and the like in mainstream western culture (like say, pro wrestling).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Bloom Into You looks very nice, at least. I don't think it goes too hard into Citrus level melodrama while still keeping a fairly grounded story.

Perpetual Motion posted:

First, I just want to say that I really appreciate that this thread exists, because tracking down inclusive narratives in fiction is always a pain. I'm asexual and non-binary, though, which makes finding things to directly relate to unfortunately difficult. The vast majority of queer narratives are romances, which just don't interest me outright. Asexuality is a really tricky thing when it comes to stories, because it's defined by absence rather than difference, and nominally straight characters who just don't happen to do romance in a story are incredibly common. You basically have to spell out that a character is ace for it to be apparent, and that's pretty awkward from a writing perspective. The only mainstream anime I've ever seen do it organically is One Piece, and even there it's just a combination of a big joke and plot device to disable another character's primary power which clearly isn't ideal in terms of representation.

I'm not even sure how you'd even have an asexual narrative in the first place? I know Bojack Horseman did a whole episode on the topic, but informative self-discovery moments are an awfully narrow set of plot beats to be restricted to. I just want a story with an ace person just existing and dealing with their reality day-to-day, I guess? I dunno, I'm not nearly a good enough writer myself to conceive of what I'm thinking in a way that's remotely compelling. Anybody here know of some stuff in this category? I'm sure something of quality had to have been written on the topic at some point.

Asexual characters, sure, but what would an asexual narrative even be?

I guess it depends on the definition of asexuality since I've heard various things. Not being physically attracted to people, not being attracted to people AT ALL, etc.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

everythingWasBees posted:

Citrus melodrama was amazing, as somebody who dislikes melodrama normally. The soap opera style pacing probably had something to do with that, as it kept people from brooding about one thing for too long.

I'm incredibly angry that I dismissed it based on hearsay and marketing as an incest series, when really it's just about two unrelated teenage girls having to start living together.

The real problem with Citrus is that it didn't give more screen time to Matsuri and Harumi, the two best characters.

I didn't particularly like or dislike yuzu or mei.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Us asexuals are an ephemeral and mysterious people after all. It is impossible for our experiences to be translated into narrative, our stories just cannot be understood.

Anyway, I know I personally can relate to stories of someone navigating their sexuality while trying to deal with how they struggle to fit into perceived societal expectations of what is normal especially in regards to romantic relationships. For an “asexual narrative” you could probably just go off something like that with an end point of “hey, the idea that a romantic relationship is a necessary ingredient of human happiness is bullshit actually”.

That doesn't strike me as a specifically asexual thing, but nevertheless could be interesting.

Personally I don't identify as anything-sexual because I do like cute anime girls and all but I've never felt attraction to anyone. :shrug:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 5, 2020

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Perpetual Motion posted:

That's a part of the problem, but everything exists on a spectrum in some way, so picking a point and running with it is how just about everything else works. But yeah, one of the problems with asexuality vs other queer narratives is that the conflict and friction is very different and subtle. Ace people don't face discrimination in the same way, for one. A visible gay or trans person has to deal with open hostility in addition to the alienation that comes from living in a cis and heteronormative society. Asexuality, on the other hand, is discriminated against passively, but incredibly pervasively. Sexuality is baked into everything in modern life, and it's very wearing and tiring being presented with pressures to behave a certain way and share your life with certain people that the vast majority don't even notice because it's just normal background noise to them that compliments their nature. And unlike being gay, the LGB community at large is not a haven from this, as the same focus on finding and experiencing relationships with others in a fulfilling way is how LGB people self-actualize.

And that brings us to the biggest problem with creating a narrative with themes of asexuality: the self-actualization. The climax of most any queer narrative is the character(s) being able to accept themselves and their feelings and act upon them without fear or shame. What happens when an asexual person does that, though? Nothing. They realize that what they've been looking for is nothing at all and thus complete their arc without a change to the status quo, as they now realize that trying to change it because it's expected of you is wrong. It's a beautiful, important, and valid thing, but it doesn't exactly make for thrilling narrative, especially in visual mediums where the internal dialog isn't exposed to the audience.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, just that it's very hard and that there's a relative lack of interest as asexuality is niche even within LGBTQ+ circles. That's why I was talking about stories with asexual characters where that part of their identity is simply important and a part of their struggles, even if it's not the centerpiece of the narrative.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying about passive discrimination. Just sexuality being part of modern life is discriminating against asexual people? I don't see how if so. Just because it's not something you're interested in doesn't mean it's discriminatory, does it?

Or did you mean more it was a sort of subconscious thing, as in people assuming you would want to be in a relationship and so on?

I know straight, gay, etc people who don't feel a need to be in a relationship or anything so it's not like it'd just be an asexual thing to say "you don't need to be with someone to be happy!". Do you think making a message broader like that, as opposed to strictly focused on asexuality, would take away from a theoretical story?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh you can definitely do it, you just need to invert the typical setup for the protagonist. Start them off in a relationship and over the course of the story they realize it's not necessary and doesn't make them happy.

Since as you said, 'not all asexual people are romantic', you could also do a romance story where it just went over the difficulty of one partner not really having a physical interest in the other but still wanting companionship.

That would probably be hard without making it weird ("I will fulfill my obligation of intimate companionship" or "aren't asexual relationships just so much more pure??") but I think it could be good if it was done right.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Maybe the story could end with the protagonist saying “and this is why Asexuality is cool and valid.” followed by thunderous applause to really hammer home this is about asexuality.

Maybe I should’ve specified the character in this hypothetical story would be asexual, but since we were talking about an asexual narrative I thought that was assumed.

I, uh, picked up on that, yeah.

I was pointing out that it could still be relevant to a broader group, which could be a good or bad thing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Which himegoto is himegoto and which himegoto is other himegoto?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

, Medusa's presented as bi in F/HA,

FGO and Extella too.

In Medusa's FGO Interlude (where Euryale and Stheno are trying to set Medusa up on a blind date for their amusement) and you point out you're a girl, Medusa says "Oh that's fine. Actually, I- Wait this isn't the time!" or something like that.

you beat me to it :argh:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Another FGO thing is off the top of my head can't you give/get chocolate from both genders of servants regardless of which you are?

I think Nasu once said "Mash's relationship with the female MC is platonic" but uh, if you say so. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rody One Half posted:

Well it's not always chocolate

Fergus gives you the key to his room

Emiya Alter gives you a loving gun

Men give you 'return gifts', women give you 'chocolate'.

It's also Kiritsugu that gives you a gun. Emiya Alter's is more of a downer.

e: Well Kiyohime gives you herself in ribbons, but she's holding a chocolate. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

it's not really related but I love the scene where Kokutou goes on a five minute rant about drugs that is just, completely wrong on every level, and when asked about this Nasu just went 'As a college student, I assumed that Kokutou would know a lot about drugs that are used in the nightclub scene. I, the author, did not know a lot about the nightclub scene."

That's kind of adorable.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Aurora posted:

i wish it didn't just end like that :(

It doesn't.

e: Oh was the joke translation taken down?

Either way, it's kinda interesting but yeah nothing great. I only read it because I liked the premise enough and there wasn't much. :shrug:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Not beyond the fact she wants to set up the now female main character with a girl.

I kinda wanted to like it because gender bender yuri is pretty rare, they always do the :biotruths: thing where people turn straight. :argh:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Syenite posted:

On the one hand corporations deliberately coding in enough cues to get The Gays interested but not so many that the straights catch it is hosed up & exploitative on a metatextual level, but on the other, folks being negative to other folks for taking something or another out of said products is not cool and also about 75% of Tumblr "discourse".

I think it depends on what you mean by being negative, or how you go about it. Like, giving someone grief over getting something positive out of something is pretty lovely, but I don't think it's wrong to talk about why you don't think something is exploitative or why you don't like it or whatever.

everythingWasBees posted:

it is probably the most painful manga I've read in a while though, especially the current arc
thankfully the scanlation group recognizes this and are doing their best to get it out as quickly as possible so as not to prolong our suffering

ty SAD

What's SAD in this context?

Hungry posted:

I'm convinced this one is the author's self-insert wish fulfillment fantasy and I'm 100% on board with it.

I read yuri manga to fill the empty void of cute girls that I am in a relationship with. :smith:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mikl posted:

Oh no she's cute
(All of Hiura's classmates, probably)

Classmates:

Page 3: ew does he like boys

page 4: I hope s/he likes boys

Stalin-Chan posted:

I think it happens in anime/manga too, usually it's like not coded, just the gay or trans character has to commit suicide or end up actually not gay/trans.

Yeah, that was pretty common due to the origins of yaoi and in particular yuri, but the idea of gayness being a phase you grow out of is way less widespread now.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

I absolutely do not get what sino's deal is here.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Aurora posted:

i hate how much i feel disconnected from my communities thanks to having a job again and messing with my schedule

Oh yeah? Well I don't have a job or communities. :smuggo:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
https://mangadex.org/title/45049/the-time-my-friend-wanted-to-try-a-skirt

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

I love it but I miss the eye highlights.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

God, this has gotten incredibly cute. I just hope Hiura starts using feminine pronouns soon.

I feel like Hiura more just doesn't care much either way. Nonbinary or whatever. :shrug:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
This has probably come up before but it always irks me when genderbender manga have the (usually formerly male) main character suddenly get attracted to men after expressing no interest in them.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Bakarina's also kind of weird because the LN had a satisfactory ending and then just kinda kept going. It's not bad or anything, but it could've ended there and been fine. :shrug:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

all good gender bender stuff is wlw

Too bad witch weapon's gameplay loop sucks despite being the greatest story concept of all time and having a cool domme lady

What didn't you like about it? I played it for like five minutes then dropped it because there were too many characters I didn't understand and just decided I'd hope for a localization, but it seemed alright.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

I am in a media hell where every media (not just anime/manga) dealing with trans women is either:
1. Something made in the 70s-90s that has straight trans women but is dated at best and actively transphobic at worst
2. Something made in the 21st century that is not transphobic, but is about wlw and therefore I don't relate to it a bit.

This genuinely upsets me, I got absolutely nothing I can relate to in broader media. I can read straight romance stuff with cis people I guess but there's always that nagging feeling at the back of my head that this doesn't line up well with my own experiences.

I have no idea what your situation is like, but considering what's going on in general these days there's never been a better time to try learning the skills to make something.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

you mean this

https://mangadex.org/title/31395/how-to-make-a-girl-fall-in-love

Had a small update today

E: I hope the OL gunpla manga that does the same color eyes effect ends up good

I still don't know how to take that, like if the titular girl (who I can't remember the name of offhand) is trans or doing it because s/he has a thing for his/her friend and assumes he's straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

i think if you want to read a character as trans theyre probably trans, especially in the face of evidence like that lol

people have a weird deflective instinct

I'm not saying people are wrong or shouldn't view it that was, just that was my takeaway. :shrug:

Regardless, it's very cute. There's another really similar one too (even does the eye thing, which I'm sad that one stopped doing), as an aside.

https://mangadex.org/title/45049/the-time-my-friend-wanted-to-try-a-skirt

Ibram Gaunt posted:

if the two in that 'friend pretties up other friend with makeup' comic dont start dating for real and the comic ends im going to flip.

They will on the last page, such is the way of these things.