Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
hi im gay, animes are cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
boy it sure sucks that hoshiai no sora got screwed over, i liked how it addressed a character being trans or possibly nonbinary and i was looking forward to seeing how their story will develop :(

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i've heard about that and im glad and wish him well

but i worry that it will not get a translation

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i thought that "queer" was a universal slur agaisnt all lgbt people, wouldn't a reclaimed version of it also work for any part of the gender/sexuality spectrum?

i dont use it myself so no idea

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
People seemed kinda down on Double Decker! Doug & Kirill when it was airing, and i agree with some of the complaints about the latter part of the plot, but it was still a fun show.

The cast also has a lesbian couple, and at least two of the other characters in the main cast are, or at least implied to be bisexual.

It's not without downsides though. I saw some criticism of how a trans character that briefly appeared in one of the episodes was handled. They were 100% intended to be sympathetic and the show respects their identity and makes no lovely jokes at their expense, but they are part of another character's backstory and they get a bad end which serves as part of that character's motivation.

Another thing some people might not like is that a side character develops a one-sided crush on a handsome crossdresser without realising that it's a man, and the other characters don't tell him because they think it's funny. The crossdresser isn't in on the joke and is not aware of the crush so there's no gross implications about entrapping. This ends with the two finding out about the other's secret and both being fine with it. I wasn't sure if their last scene together was implying that they will grow closer, or just showing that they're still good friends, but it ends on a positive note either way.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
this thread is good but also makes me feel like a simpleton because i don't have time to read manga and just sometimes get to see a gay in an anime or cartoon i watch with friends, so i have nothing new to contribute because anything i know of is probably mainstream, shallow or both :V

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
yeah true, i guess i just feel dumb because before that people were having a discussion about lgbtq themes in a bunch of other works and talking about how to properly represent asexuality, and i can't contribute to stuff like that because for me it's often just "wow, there's someone not-straight/not-cis on the screen in my action show and they're not treated like poo poo, awesome" without much deeper thought.

has anyone here seen House of Five Leaves? i try to not read too much into stuff that's not explicit, but I got a very strong "i actually think this is supposed to be gay" vibe from it, and at least one of the author's other works has a gay male character in it.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Julias posted:

I mean, feel free to ask for recommendations or inquire if any anine/manga deal with subject matter 'xxx'. Or if you just wanna talk about any lgbtq+ issues separate from anime/manga, that's honestly fine too :shobon:

a lot of the discussion and recommendations i've seen are of stories with gay women or trans people, im curious if there's anything good this thread could recommend that has gay men? i've seen Given and Yuri on Ice, and Hoshiai no Sora gets a honorary mention even if it doesn't focus on it and the character in question might not be a man

i tried looking for something that might be for me back when i was a teen and didn't know better than to look at what a bunch of straight teenage fujoshis on my local anime forum liked, but none of the recommendations were good at all, it was all either gross or a dumb pointless tragedy or both

that tragedy thing is an issue for me, i'm fine with character struggling but im tired of having lgbt people killed off for drama, feels like this used to be a constant trope though maybe i just wasn't lucky with what i've seen

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

dogsicle posted:

ymmv but Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens is a good recent show that isn't gay/romance centric but has a gay couple with a daughter in the ensemble, and the two male leads are heavily shipped by the show. i just found it refreshing to have those characters/elements and otherwise be largely focused on its whole criminal underworld/contract killer plots. and despite the darkness you'd expect from the setting, it ends up a fairly light show (first episode or so are a bit misleading here).

I actually seen this before and liked it a lot, even recommended it to my friends. can't believe i forgot about that show, but glad to be reminded of it

i still wonder if there's some gender commentary going on with Lin - i know he's not trans but i wonder if having a cis male who's clearly confident in his gender but also happy and comfortable with dressing and looking like a woman is a positive example of a gender nonconfirming person, or if im reading into it too much

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

DisDisDis posted:

just say lesbian but be prepared for progressive straight guys to launch into passionate explanations of the many multi-faceted meanings of "daisuki" when you do

to the above I don't think you have to overthink whether Lin is really a positive represenation of x if he makes you happy.

you're right, regardless of what the author intended Lin is cool and good

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

DisDisDis posted:

I mean from watching it (really need to finish that last episode sometime) I don't think they could have intended anything bad. Like I'm sort of confused what there is to think about in regards to him being 'positive' rep or not. At any rate him and the show made me very happy.

Anyway, let's make pitching and catching jokes

i agree with everything you said here but also i think people misunderstood me, i wasn't questioning if Lin was supposed to be sympathetic

i meant that im not sure if representing gender noncomformity in a cool and positive way was part of the author's intent or if the author wasn't really thinking about that and just made a cool character that also happened to be good representation, like with that manga that was discussed earlier in this thread (Day of Revolution i think).

sorry for choosing my words poorly :shobon:

lin's the pitcher for sure

esselfortium posted:

hakata tonkotsu ramens was amazing and deserved more attention, lin is an absolute icon, season 2 when?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
That's cool, hoping this is just a start and they'll publish more stuff like that.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
is there anything they'd have to change apart from showing the drat kiss this time

literally the one complaint i have about YoI

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Rand Brittain posted:

The director is explicit that she did the kiss that way because she wanted to.

i know that they weren't forced to not show it, but i still want to see them kiss

not for any "oh but how do i know they're really gay" reasons, that dumb, just wanna see guys make out on screen in my cartoons

RottenK fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 28, 2020

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

it's not exactly controversial that there are people (beyond me) who see a superficially ambiguous presentation.

these people are complete idiots at best and wilfully dense homophobes usually, it doesn't matter what they think

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Endorph posted:

And also people really love accusing things that are blatant of being 'coding.'

what does coding mean

the best i could figure out from seeing people talk about it is that it's about characters looking/acting in some way stereotypically associated with lgbt people?

RottenK fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 29, 2020

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Stalin-Chan posted:

my dream anime, what if yuri on ice- but w/ actual yuri

also for some reason 90% of the time the queer coded character has to be the villain and has to die, that's not specifically a part of coding but thanks disney.

my general memory of seeing lgbt people in media when i was a kid is that more often than not they were treated badly, either as a villain or a joke or both, and even sympathetic characters would often suffer pointlessly or have a tragic end just for drama

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
yeah i think it mostly died off, and good riddance

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Miura barely works on Berserk anymore, and he's started working on a second manga at the same time?

sorry, not trying to discuss the actual story which apparently gets pretty gross going by that description, just baffled at him deciding to double the workload when from all i hear of him he's not even managing to work on just one manga at a time

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
well that's good for his assistants i suppose

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

everythingWasBees posted:

I'm posting trans news in here because this is also just general lgbt chat but

https://www.dailypress.com/virginiagazette/va-vg-wire-birth-certificate-0229-20200302-53banaao2jeuhort3pl6mksi4e-story.html

I was born in Virginia so this is huge for me since I decided against getting the "right" surgery

that's great to hear

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm gay and stupid.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Archer666 posted:

Togainu no Chi is on Steam now. Never expected that to get a proper English release. And DRAMAtical Murder is next too... what a time to be alive.

are they any good?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
im going to miss this thread when SA dies, even if i barely posted here it was cool and interesting to read

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
it'd be great to have a new place, maybe even something better if we're super lucky

but i can't think of any unambigiously good alternative, or at least didn't see anything suggested yet that didn't have issues attached

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I don't remember if I already said this before but Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens was a great show and one of the main characters is a gender-noncomfirming man without any gross jokes being made about him. It also had a gay couple in the supporting cast and I think it heavily hinted that the relationship between the main protagonists is developing to be closer than just being friends.

I wish it had another season, I want to see them all on screen again :(

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

DisDisDis posted:

one of my fav doom streamers randomly dropped that he loved that show and i've been meaning to rewatch it

dude looked really good in that baseball uniform

you're right but also I can't think of any outfit that he didn't look really good in

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I don't have strong feelings about baseball uniforms but he does look very cute in one, true

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

I'm going to take that seriously because its a fascinating subject, albeit no where near even tangential to this thread

(ok maybe music mangas might mention it somewhere idk)

Pink noise is where the power spectral density (density being of course a value per other value like mass density) is inversely proportional to the frequency.

This part is cool:

In the past quarter century, pink noise has been discovered in the statistical fluctuations of an extraordinarily diverse number of physical and biological systems (Press, 1978;[7] see articles in Handel & Chung, 1993,[8] and references therein). Examples of its occurrence include fluctuations in tide and river heights, quasar light emissions, heart beat, firings of single neurons, and resistivity in solid-state electronics resulting in flicker noise.

General 1/f α noises occur in many physical, biological and economic systems, and some researchers describe them as being ubiquitous.[9] In physical systems, they are present in some meteorological data series, the electromagnetic radiation output of some astronomical bodies. In biological systems, they are present in, for example, heart beat rhythms, neural activity, and the statistics of DNA sequences, as a generalized pattern.[10] In financial systems, they are often referred to as a long-term memory effect[specify].

An accessible introduction to the significance of pink noise is one given by Martin Gardner (1978) in his Scientific American column "Mathematical Games".[11] In this column, Gardner asked for the sense in which music imitates nature. Sounds in nature are not musical in that they tend to be either too repetitive (bird song, insect noises) or too chaotic (ocean surf, wind in trees, and so forth). The answer to this question was given in a statistical sense by Voss and Clarke (1975, 1978), who showed that pitch and loudness fluctuations in speech and music are pink noises.[12][13] So music is like tides not in terms of how tides sound, but in how tide heights vary.

Pink noise describes the statistical structure of many natural images.[14] Recently, it has also been successfully applied to the modeling of mental states in psychology,[15] and used to explain stylistic variations in music from different cultures and historic periods.[16] Richard F. Voss and J. Clarke claim that almost all musical melodies, when each successive note is plotted on a scale of pitches, will tend towards a pink noise spectrum.[17] Similarly, a generally pink distribution pattern has been observed in film shot length by researcher James E. Cutting of Cornell University, in the study of 150 popular movies released from 1935 to 2005.[18]

Pink noise has also been found to be endemic in human response. Gilden et al. (1995) found extremely pure examples of this noise in the time series formed upon iterated production of temporal and spatial intervals.[19] Later, Gilden (1997) and Gilden (2001) found that time series formed from reaction time measurement and from iterated two-alternative forced choice also produced pink noises.[20][21]

thank you for this wisdom

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Endorph posted:

"You've made a lot of people uncomfortable, so you're being put to death."

drat, cancel culture is serious business

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
to be fair that really is the level of bible understanding actually shown by a lot of bigots IRL

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
foreverialy ojou-sama-ified and loving it

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i don't really get what the translator was trying to say with that note, but i like this series so im just gonna write it off as some weird brainfart they had

it's a good story, thanks for posting about it here WD

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i really hate the old guy, which i think is the intended response to him since he's unambigiously a predator, and i hope that Jun gets out of this relationship

mr fahrenheit's last email hit pretty hard :(

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

same

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Wark Say posted:

Watermelon Daiquiri, why did you post that manga about the Queen-loving boy and his journey? Why would you do that to me. You're so goddamn mean.

I just got to the end of chapter 3. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck. :cry:

why'd you have to scare me like that, i was behind a few chapters and thought there's a sudden tragedy at the end when i looked at the spoiler. yes i know that i shouldn't look at spoilered text about stuff im still reading :v: , i was dumb

I'm glad that I read this manga, thanks for sharing it WD. I hope the sequel web novel is good too.

hahaha >:) It gets weird, and not good weird, i have to admit esp around chapter.. 11? i think? But it ends on a very good note. It also has the mc say 'actually you should use gay instead of homo, but w/e' to his (girl)friend which kinda gives a justification for the constant. homo. use.

maybe it's because the overall story is fairly serious and sad, even if does have light moments, but that page was really funny

RottenK fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 6, 2020

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Clowns also use eggs, don't they?

i thought clowns still used pies

we need more fujoshi everywhere we can get

fujoshi get some weird hate from online lefties sometimes but i never undestood it

i cant speak for other gays, but people who are into yaoi are at worst not any worse than people who are not, and are probably more likely to not hate me for who I am, even if they sometimes have some weird ideas about how gay people live and interact with each other

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Sharkopath posted:

One of the north american clown museums keeps a record of clown facepaint patterns on eggs.

oh true, i remember reading about something like that a few years ago

completely skipped my mind

Endorph posted:

they have no interest in bl and no understanding of it so they just believe whatever the first thing theyre told is

you get the same thing with yuri

yeah this checks out

RottenK fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
yuri paddle on ice