Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

you may reply that other gay people also think its ambiguous, but gay people are notoriously bad at understanding media, due to the shackles forced on them by the hets, who are even worse at it. only by accepting that kannazuki no miko is a good anime can we be free. god bless the usa.

Near as I can tell, it's not that they think it's ambiguous that it happened, it's that an obvious gay relationship had this annoying obfuscation over it, because that happens way too often to gay relationships in media in general and anime in particular. Yes, heterosexual romances can be subtle and indirect, but it can feel like gay romances can't be anything but. It's the difference between 'every gay relationship in anime should be more open and explicit' and 'there should be more open, explicit gay relationships in anime'. Not every gay romance has to be like the climax of REDLINE, but there's room out there for ones that are.

For the record, I can see that YOI was doing a deliberate thing with its story about the nature of celebrity. Most of the show is presented through TV cameras, social media, and short, disconnected snippets of the characters' lives. Most of the development of Viktor and Yuri's relationship happens off-screen, and their kiss is blocked because the fictional 'camera' is at the wrong angle. It's an interesting exploration of our parasocial relationship with public figures, and how we piece together their personal lives from the fragments they give us, but I can totally see how it would be unsatisfying if you're looking for a conventional romance.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

it's incredibly unrepresentative of the show lol
it's a sports anime about skating. there's also a bit of gay romance. it's not really anything more than that. and it doesn't really need to be imo.

like you can definitely make that read I guess but like that would be a terrible way to describe the show.

I dunno, the skating is definitely the bit we see most, but that doesn't mean everything else is unimportant, because the show deliberately conceals or de-emphasises a lot of the emotional context of the skating in a way that tells you 'there is something important here, but you won't see all of it'. It definitely feels like it's the bit we spend most time with because it's the most public part of their lives.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, I'm pretty sure that Katarina herself is bi. It's just that she can't wrap her brain around the idea that any of her friends could possibly be romantically interested in her.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

Just got on the Witch's Servant bandwagon and I'm just infatuated with it. The love quadrangle it has going is quite fun.

Oh, the love polygons in Witch's Servant are extremely non-Euclidean.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

that place is locked down by invitation code apparently?

Only if you don't want to pay :10bux:, I believe.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Elfface posted:

We all know they're both self-sabotaging dumbasses who'll get into shenanigans every time they try to have something meaningful happen.

Exactly, they're great and their relationship should have more screentime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Elfface posted:

I forgot what thread I was in, and was worried about some kind of woman with a man growing out her neck centaur style.

Androcentaurs deserve love too. :colbert: