Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Posting in memory of DisDisDis' dead gay forums account.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/raubritter_ch01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Aoi-chan posted:

Does anyone have opinions on Hourou Musuko/Wandering Son?

I personally enjoyed it, especially early on, but it definitely felt like the author was getting tired of it after a while- the quality of the art got a lot more simpler, which can be an issue with multiple characters looking somewhat similar to each other, the plot begins to spin towards the end, and then it wraps up rather hastily. The anime is kind of weird because it doesn't even start at the beginning of the story and winds up just being a small intersection of the whole manga, but it has a lovely watercolor artstyle and has a lot of emotionally satisfying scenes. I would probably recommend watching the anime first, and then if you're craving more to read the manga, and maybe just tap out if you get bored of it/skip to the end.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Welcome. Enjoy your stay. :)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

iospace posted:

Maybe! Is it licensed?

It is! By Yen Press.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Generally when I see people use 'anime' as a descriptor, it is used in a pejorative way, to say "it's too zany, too wacky and exaggerated, too much fanservice, too many anime tropes, etc": it's why I tend to avoid using it as a descriptor in general. It's also just really imprecise and leads to misunderstandings, so it doubly sucks.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DisDisDis posted:

i think people would do better to point out specifically what they dislike about something instead of using the word for the entire medium as a vague pejorative

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Our Dreams at Dusk, also known as Shimanami Tasogare, is by Yuhki Kamatani--who identifies as x-gender and asexual--and features a host of LGBTQ+ characters, including an explicitly ace character.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
They also wrote Nabari no Ou which got mentioned upthread, though I never read or watched it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RottenK posted:

this thread is good but also makes me feel like a simpleton because i don't have time to read manga and just sometimes get to see a gay in an anime or cartoon i watch with friends, so i have nothing new to contribute because anything i know of is probably mainstream, shallow or both :V

I mean, feel free to ask for recommendations or inquire if any anine/manga deal with subject matter 'xxx'. Or if you just wanna talk about any lgbtq+ issues separate from anime/manga, that's honestly fine too :shobon:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Baka-nin posted:

Decided to finally read Welcome to the NHK over the weekend after stalling on it for years. Its an interesting look and social anxieties and non conformity, and can be bleak as gently caress at times. Don't know how I feel about the ending.

Towards the end of the run a minor character whose been in a miserable and toxic relationship realises the source of a lot of her issues is that she's attracted to women and has been trying really hard to pursue straight relationships and decides to quit forcing heterosexuality on herself. She does a lot better after that.

And one of the main characters runs into a trans woman during a depressive spiral and in desperation to redeem himself gets a job at a host club to help her pay for surgery. Its not treated as a joke just an unexpected turn of events. He was doing it out of a sense of pity which she calls him out over, so its not perfect, but it is an example of a misfit with extreme issues with relationships and women trying to be better by showing some empathy for others.

One thing to note is that the Manga is widely divergent from the original novel source material, as far as the plot, the character's backgrounds, ultimate characterization of the characters, the climax and ending, etc. The anime attempts to combine the narrative of the novel with the earlier arcs of the first half of the manga, and is probably my favorite of the three adaptations. All three versions are definitely worth checking out for their own merits, but especially the anime, which might be my favorite anime of all time.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Squiddycat posted:

How to properly support your trans gf: lots of headpats

Source: my gf

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, After Hours has a complete english printing.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I don't know how to break this to you this Wark, but Symphogear...is over.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It has been on my backlog for a while, but I finally got around to reading My Solo Exchange Diary, Nagata Kabi's autobiographical manga that's a sequel to their first work, My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness. It can hit hard at times, but it's also fairly relatable.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ToxicFrog posted:

Is Bakarina this? Because that's what always seems to come up in searches for it.

Yeah it's this; the common fanname is Bakarina, and the official abbreviation that's pushed is Hamefura.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ToxicFrog posted:

I started watching Flip Flappers and got I think four or five episodes in -- the one with the clock tower -- and then just kind of...lost interest?

The opening absolutely slaps, though.

This happened to me, where I had to put the show down for a couple of weeks before going back to it. I kind of have mixed feelings about the show as a whole, mostly for the back half, but I originally was more negative towards the show than I feel was necessary in retrospect- while the overarching plot is flawed in some ways, a lot of the individual episodes have a lot of really interesting theming, especially on a symbolic level. The clock tower episode, for example, is riffing on the historical Class-S Shoujo/Yuri genre, where relationships are stagnant and generally arent allowed to progress into intimacy, or are framed as a 'phase' of school life. I definitely look more favorably on it in retrospect, and it's still a treat visually and in the sound department, even if the plot and characters don't grab you.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

I keep forgetting that forever ago we had a thread for DS' works and the one thing I was able to find in print was The Voynich Hotel. I'll see what's up with those oneshots, then! :)

The Nickelodeon one-shots are the main ones you're probably looking for.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Thanks for sharing that Colonel, it was really sweet.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

klapman posted:

i'm going to blind watch akanesasu shoujo

Enjoy :cheers:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I wish there was more stuff about transwomen that are straight or bi; romances with men. I know this threads gimmick is really just yuri, but still...

This is kind of a weird, accusatory post. I'm sure if you had asked for some examples or recommendations, people would be glad to share them. Everyone's basically just posting what they like or what they think others might like.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT: Is this ally-posting? Sorry, not too sure what it is. I mean, I can kind of figure out from context clues, but I'm a dumb who needs things spelled out in detail.

It means don't be a straight cis person barging into this thread to beat down on lgbtq posters for their statements and opinions or to "just ask questions...".

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

quote:

gim·mick

/ˈɡimik/

noun

a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

The term is loaded and usually has negative connotations. It also implies that what you are describing as a gimmick "isn't normal".

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Can I ask all of you to stop stiring up this dumb drama and move on? Instead of hurling insults and wishing awful things to befall each other? This goes for you too Watermelon Daiquiri, you got really defensive and instead of apologizing you have doubled and even tripled down on everyone else being in the wrong, even when you've come around to understand why people felt hurt by the things you've said.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ToxicFrog posted:

I've started reading Kase-san and Morning Glories. It's cute and bubbly and relaxing. Would recommend.

Indeed.

Main Paineframe posted:

Love Me For Who I Am/Fukakai na Boku no Subete o is real good and i'm glad i learned about it by reading this thread

as someone who's been feeling lately like maybe i'm not so binary after all, it has been a really constructive and positive read

sorry i just lurked and never posted with y'all

It's good, and it's getting an official English printing. The first volume comes out in 5 days.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That's Yuru Yuri

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I just want to remind people that Smoking Crow is putting a twist on the traditional Secret Santa for 2020, and there is still time to sign up until November 26th.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

This was a nice, short read.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Snooze Cruise posted:

sob sob, i hate you, sob sob

I won't play, but I'll still appreciate the good character designs as a secondary.

I even had an old Av based on some fanart

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm happy for you Wark Say! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977589

Update your bookmarks. Here's the new thread.