Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Yuri manga saved my life.

This is a good thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

everythingWasBees posted:

putting this here so that it isn't buried. not manga but you still read it so good enough.

Thank you for preserving this essential post! It kinda got buried where it came from, yeah.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Manga/anime were really my first exposure to LGBT media which wasn't tokenist crap and/or like I dunno, depressing 20th century experimental literature. I dunno what to think about that except thank you touhou yuri romance doujins circa 2008.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Animer

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Unironically enjoy this.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

The woke TM characters are whichever ones you happen to like, obviously.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I enjoy a lot of stuff that isn't explicitly "we are scissoring off screen 24/7" but is still obviously lesbian coded. I hate that term, is there a better one?

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

The secret is that 90% of the time you can just drop the word 'coded'

That's ... actually a really good point.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

the focus of discussion always being on positive/negative representation also gets things to a point where things just get devalue into lists of bulletin points. over time this creates a diluted narrative people think proper lgbt stories need to fit into and push back against lgbt minority creators when their stories don't fit into and accepts the most rote corporate stories as "true" hallmarks of progressivism because they check some boxes.

This puts my confused attitude into better words than I probably can.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Also recommending murcielago.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

strange voices next door

I'm convinced this one is the author's self-insert wish fulfillment fantasy and I'm 100% on board with it.

Hungry fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 29, 2020

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

edit: quote is not edit

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Baka-nin posted:

I think Lucky Star and Haruhi got me into anime too if you don't count watching German dubbed 80s/90s SF ova's and French co-productions. I remember reading the omake to a Lucky Star volume where the author talks about going to a convention and getting marriage proposals from male fans. He seemed confused that a series that heavily baited a same sex relationship would have a queer following. I think my frustration with how that relationship simply refused to develop also led me to look up fan fiction and DJ's.

I read so much Konata/Kagami fanfiction like, 12 years ago.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Finally sat my stupid rear end down four years late and watched Flip Flappers and I loving love it.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Lost my poo poo at the girls' final transformation looking like wedding dresses.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I'm hoping we can decamp to somewhere else/SA3.0, because this place brings me a lot of joy.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Here's some white noise: I'm gay

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Subtle.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

'Fujoshi' rolls off the tongue really nicely, but there's no word for the opposite.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

What about a woman into yuri?

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

skaianDestiny posted:

I finished Accept My Fist of Love. Very good.

I was kinda worried it was either gonna get cancelled or go to a bad place, but it didn't! It was so sweet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Yet again I feel vindicated in always waiting until something finishes airing before I look into it.

Speaking of shows that finished, I would like to inform everyone that the Otherside Picnic light novels are much obvious about the developing lesbian relationship than the show was. The show ends long before the most fun parts of that.