Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I know the pink guys were a bit rough but not all colored forums!

sig by owlhawk911

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal

Galaxander posted:

crowd roars: How long is it!

You know the line for the new iPhone back when Steve jobs was still alive and leading a cult?

Okay now picture that 420 times and that's how long a BYOB is

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

Was there ever any Phish?

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

bloom posted:

perhaps... too well behaved? what dark secrets does the chill hide?

If you get really really really chill, it gets kind of psychedelic and things take on warmer hues and if you close your eyes you can peer into the multiverse.

But that almost never happens, and you need to get like super chill

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

FluffieDuckie posted:

this is my new desktop

(i'm lying. i don't know how to change my desktop)

Some browsers have right click > set as desktop but this will work for everything right click save as pick whatever you want (I like C:\Desktops) In Windows 10 (7 is EoL*, and 8.x is EoL next year, so you should upgrade! If you're on mac sorry I'm not sure, if you are on Linux you should know what you are doing). Anyway in 10 right click > personalize click the boring grey button with the text "Browse" Navigate to where you saved it (you made Desktops on the root of C:\ if you are following along so there, but really you could put it in C:\users\%username%\pictures if you wanted).

*EoL is end of life, no more security updates, this is a massive massive issue in the last few years, especially with all the Intel microcode updates, I really would not feel safe running a CPU that's not running up to date micocode (windows update will handle that for you, so will BIOS updates if you are on an EoL OS but on a motherboard that still has vendor support somehow).

pixaal fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 11, 2020

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

biosterous posted:

some computers at my job are still on windows xp

Oh no, are they at least not connected to the network? I have an HVAC computer on XP but the network port has been soldered off so it can't get online if you want it to (okay you can but you need to install a new network card or a USB adapter and that's not going to be an accident).

Also had that with a label printer at some point, but we replaced that printer as few years ago.

sig by owlhawk911

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal

Lotion Tester posted:

same deal at my workplace

they're new enough computers that they come with windows 10 licenses, then xp gets installed

Are these like special machines? That is probably okay because it's very likely some hardware that does not support newer than XP sometimes really expensive stuff like CNC machines and such where it's very reasonable to isolate them and leave them without a network connection. only or on a very private network with no internet. If you are using XP for day to day with most people, that is an extremely bad sign and that place is not keeping up with tech, it does not bode well for their future nevermind how very likely it will be that some script kiddie knocks the entire thing tumbling to the ground. That's a giant do not work there sign.

Again a handful of dedicated machines to run special hardware or software is pretty normal, and I wouldn't worry about that. Your IT guys very likely have that thing locked down and hate its existence.

sig by owlhawk911