Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
Harvest Moon 3 GBC: A Hallmark Presentation

|Main Theme|Box Art|

What's so special about this game?
Welcome to Harvest Moon 3 for the Gameboy Color. This game is unique in that it suffered from a terribly late release date of November 11th, 2001 in North America- exactly 6 months after the Gameboy Advance came out. It was released before the GBA in Japan, but this still remains one of the latest releases for the console. It also uniquely got a EU release before a US one.

Gameplay-wise, it is solid, if not somewhat biased and somewhat limited on story. It is also a game contained in less than two megabytes, being a GBC game, and I'm playing it on an emulator a quarter of that size, so there's also that.

The premise of the game is the same "save older relative's farm from being destroyed by corporations" as you usually see except on an island this time, but it does have an interesting twist in the form of an assistant farmer. Oh, and it does some unusual mechanics involving the sea itself.

Harvest Moon?
Long story short, they go by Story of Seasons now but this was way before the split ever happened. Regardless of what you call it, it's part of a long series in cutesy, simplified farming sim games. They're also usually unrealistic capitalism sims as well.

Hold on a sec, what's with the "Hallmark Presentation"? I don't get the joke.
Hallmark is a US company known for making greeting cards, but also makes tons of feel-good holiday movies. They all usually involve some sort of rural thing as part of the plot and is usually based on "Boy Meets Girl" and vice versa, which is a perfect match for this game given its Japanese name is exactly that.

Ew, the graphics.
Actually, these are quite pretty for the GBC era, even though most are re-uses from the previous game. That being said, if you cannot stand older games, you might not find this to your taste.

The music and sound design is a bit lacking though. I'll provide music links, but I'll eventually start replacing them with my own appropriate choices given that the soundtrack unfortunately gets old fast.

Whatever, I'm sold. How's this LP going to go?
I'll be doing this as a narrative SSLP in an attempt to get my writing muscles back into shape. The story is pretty barebones, and this would become very boring fast if I didn't do anything to spice up the updates. This will likely be more lighthearted/comedic in nature, most of the time. It's not a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie, though.

Given it's a narrative, no spoilers are allowed for this game, until it's been covered in an update. Talk about the other Harvest Moons as much as you want, though.

That being said, I'll be telling the story of these two characters:

And that's where :siren:reader particpation:siren: comes in. All the information is in the next post!

Updates:
Update 0: Participation for Everyone
Update 1: Girl Meets Boy (Year 0, Winter 29th - 30th)
Update 2: Croissants Are A Lunch Food (Year 1, Spring 1)
Update 3: Mistakes Were Made (Year 1, Spring 2-7)

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 0: Participation for Everyone

Aside from our various choices we'll make in our farming, animals, and general lifestyle, I need you goons to tell me who these two are, and which one I should play.

This girl, default name Sara, is moving to the island to take care of the farm she grew up on, and left abandoned when her late father, Harry, passed away. She's good with animals, but not as experienced with tools.

The mayor doesn't think she can take care of the farm on her own despite having grown up on it, so he's called for...

...this boy, default name Pete, to help. He is a supposedly skilled farmer who miraculously rescued his own father's farm not long ago, though he absolutely cannot take care of animals. His only specialty is tools.

Fun fact, this is the first time in the series he's given the name Pete- the one that sticks for most of the other games.

The main things I'll need:

- A name, 4 letters max for each of them, though abbreviation is possible.
- A personality for each of them. If you want to throw out an idea or two for their past life as well, feel free.
- A choice on which one we'll be playing.
- Which of these fine animals is our pet, and their name (4 letters max):

In order: Large Dog, Medium Dog, Small Dog, Pig, Pink Cat, Gray Cat, Brown Cat, Bird
This actually affects the gameplay, believe it or not.

Other things to vote for:

- Our blood type. (A, B, AB, or O)
- Our character's birthday.

This will affect an aspect of the gameplay.

- And lastly, our clothing colors in RGB numbers. The runner-up will be our secondary outfit.

Note that "Bandana" also changes the girl's hair color.
(Give me either a generic color or an RGB 0-255 value, and I'll divide them by 8 to accomodate for the game's limitations.)

We'll vote on some farming decisions after this gets decided, and I do the introductory update. For now, I'll be leaving this open for some time, given there's a lot of things to vote for.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

BOY
PETE
BIRB
AB BLOOD
JULY 4TH :911:
DEFAULT COLORS

my sister used to adore this game, and I, dutiful older brother who did speak English, had to actually advance most of the game for her.

She loved tending to the animals and crops tho.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Female
Lillian
Feb 3rd
B blood
Large dog friend
Purple

I never played the actual harvest Moon series, only some of the -alikes. I enjoy video game farming more than I thought possible

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Girl, named Jacqueline (abbreviate to "Jacq" ofc)
Blood type O
Winter 4th
Pet bird named Bird
Pink clothes, if it allows for it

Personality, stubborn and willful, willing to work herself to the bone to prove herself?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Female
Alex
Spring 30
Gray cat
AB blood
Purple

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Zack Ater posted:

Female
Alex
Spring 30
Gray cat
AB blood
Purple

This~
I had a habit as a kid of naming all my female characters Alex. IDK, I thought it was cool, and purple is a great colour and black/grey cat is cutest. I have no care for the rest so I'm fully down for this!

As for personality/past - tomboy estranged from father because he wanted her to be more pretty princess, so she stayed with her mother in the big city trying to follow what he wanted but when he died she decided "Ya know what? I'm gonna take over dad's farm instead!" and is now finding her place in the world following her heart for the first time.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 8, 2020

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Female
Claire
Summer 27
Grey Cat
AB Blood
Forest Green (34-139-34)

I could never really get into the Harvest Moon Series myself, though they always seemed really sweet.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Zack Ater posted:

Female
Alex
Spring 30
Gray cat
AB blood
Purple

This is largely what I would have suggested but type O blood. Not a significant change there.

Looking forward to this. HM doesn't get many LPs around here, let alone narrative.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Zack Ater posted:

Female
Alex
Spring 30
Gray cat
AB blood
Forest Green (34-139-34)

This but with the Forest Green color.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I flipped a couple of coins for these results:
Male
Flip
Summer 14
Small dog
O blood
Kiwi green, the best GBC color

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zack Ater posted:

Female
Alex
Spring 30
Birb
AB blood
Purple

This but with Bird over cat

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Slaan posted:

I never played the actual harvest Moon series, only some of the -alikes. I enjoy video game farming more than I thought possible

OOrochi posted:

I could never really get into the Harvest Moon Series myself, though they always seemed really sweet.

I've spent most of my time with the spinoff Rune Factory series, though I've always really liked the core series for a nice, chill experience. There's something unusually fascinating with running a virtual farm that made the series a part of my childhood.

"Song of the Gentle Breeze" from A Wonderful Life is still one of my favorite songs, even if I heard it so much back then.

ThornBrain posted:

Looking forward to this. HM doesn't get many LPs around here, let alone narrative.

Glad to hear it! It looks as if there were some narratives of it in the past, but they were never finished. I suppose the length of the games have something to do with it?

I picked this one particularly as it makes a great base to work off of, and its been a recent favorite of mine across the last few months. I'm a bit rusty on writing and I've been looking to get back to it, so it all fits together perfectly for me.

------

Tallying-
Player Character: Female 8, Male 2

Pet Choice:
Large Dog = 1, Medium Dog = 0, Small Dog = 1, Pig = 0, Pink Cat = 0, Gray Cat = 5, Brown Cat = 0, Bird = 3

Pet Name:
Bird = 1

Blood Type:
A = 0,
B = 1,
AB = 6,
O = 3

Birthdate:
Spring 3rd = 1
Spring 30th = 5
Summer 4th (M) = 1
Summer 14th (M) = 1
Summer 27th = 1
Winter 4th = 1

Color:
Default = 1
Purple = 5
Pink = 1
Forest Green (34-139-34) = 2
Kiwi Green = 1

Girl Name:
Lillian = 1
Jacqueline = 1
Alex = 5
Claire = 1

Personality:
Stubborn and willful, a hard worker = 1
Tomboy at odds with father, finally returning home to be herself, lived with mother in the big city = 1

Boy Name:
Pete = 1
Flip = 1

Personality:
No votes so far!

--

Looks like a young lady named Alex is in the lead, alongside the gray cat!

Our farm helper, the boy, still needs a personality, and our pet needs some more name votes! (Though, I'm fine with a cat named Bird!)

That being said, wow, I never expected this much participation so quickly for a little GBC game! I'll have the votes for this open for another day at the least, and we'll see where the votes fall by then!

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Oh right, personality. The boy is a bit dim but diligent, and is unusually lucky in having things work out for him in spite of his seemingly dumb decisions. He never has a reason to complain about his life.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I keep seeing things about Harvest Moon and thinking it sounds like a game series I'd enjoy, and then I never do anything about it, so I'm here for this.

No input about characters, at least not yet, I'm barely awake and undercaffeinated. Maybe I'll come up with something later.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I'm going to second the name Pete for the boy.

For personality, I vote that he is the archetypical himbo. Strong, kind, and incredibly dumb. Basically the closer to Kronk from The Emperor's New Groove, the better.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I second Kronk-Pete.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

wokow6 posted:

I'm going to second the name Pete for the boy.

For personality, I vote that he is the archetypical himbo. Strong, kind, and incredibly dumb. Basically the closer to Kronk from The Emperor's New Groove, the better.

Siegkrow posted:

I second Kronk-Pete.

Hmm... maximum Kronk? Ditzy's always been a weak point of mine, but I think might be able to get that to work. It's more fitting than you'd think.

(Regardless, it gives me an excuse to watch the movie again after all these years.)

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
No suggestion, just a note that I'm looking forward to this. I faked many an illness so I would be allowed to stay home playing Harvest Moon SNES, so I have a soft spot for this series.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Alright, I think its safe to say at this point that Alex will be our young lady and protagonist. I'm still leaving votes open for our boy, currently Pete the himbo, and the pet name if anyone still wants to contribute something.

That being said, I'll be working on what I can regarding the introductory update. That being said, I might as well start the vote for what our focus as a farmer will be initially. It won't matter immediately, but it'll let me get to the first real update faster.

Should we grow Turnips, Potatoes, Asparagus, Stardust, or Grass?

If Grass, should we prioritize Horses, Cows, Chickens, or Sheep?

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

I'm thirding Kronk-boy.

And we should grow Potatoes

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I'll second the growing of Potatoes.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
We herd only the finest grass-fed cows

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’ve never actually played this particular game as much as I love the Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons franchise, mostly because of a mechanic with all the series’ female playable characters before More Friends of Mineral Town which I’m sure you’ll eventually go over. I’m excited to see what this game has to offer though.

That said, I know my own HM play style preferences, so let’s go with some grass-FE’s cows.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

....huh. Didn't expect my choices to be that popular.

Anyway, I too vote for Kronk-Pete and grass-fed cows.

If we do end up with the gray cat, I say we name it Soot.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Cat thinks it's a Bird
The girl rancher is good with animals so let's start with a baby grass fed Cow

And have Pete start planting potato's.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Looks like we've got about even votes for Potatoes and Grass-fed cows, which is fine since we can do both off the start. We have to make money somehow, anyways.

I've working with the colors, and this is what I've got so far:

Clothes are a violet blue while the bandanna/hair is a violet red, though a bit washed out. How does it look so far? I can tweak it if need be.

As another thing, it's not a vital detail, but given this is Harvest Moon, is our hair color natural or just dyed?

I've been working on the first update and I think I've got writing Pete in a decent spot. He's been coming out both part country boy, part surfer dude, and as Kronk as I can. I should have it out tomorrow, easily.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

This poo poo is natural. Rainbow hair in my favorite anime farming game or bust.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
I've forgotten but if everyone else in town has normal hair, then dyed.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

silversatyr posted:

I've forgotten but if everyone else in town has normal hair, then dyed.

Only 2 people have relatively unusual hair colors in town. Pink/Purple hair has never been very uncommon in the HM world though.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

I vote dyed hair

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

WE ARE NEO CYBERPUNK HACKERS WITH DYED HAIR AND A NEED TO FARM

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

T-man posted:

WE ARE NEO CYBERPUNK HACKERS WITH DYED HAIR AND A NEED TO FARM

Alex runs through a field, tapping on various cows and trees while yelling "Seasons, hacked! Crop rotation, hacked!"

My shovel is augmented.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 1: Girl Meets Boy

Music: Introduction (Intro BGM)

I've never been great at diaries, or writing in general, but I don't have much else to do at night so this gives me something to do when I can't sleep. I'll try to write down things as accurately as I can, though I won't guarantee I'll be writing every day.

Right, my name's Alex, though my father would've said "Alexandra"... I'll get to that. I grew up on Western Isle, a remote little island town where everybody knew each other.

I lived here with my father, Harry, and mother, Olive, on my father's farm. I don't remember too much of my childhood here, but I know my father wanted me to grow into a proper lady and I think he thought it was a bad influence on me. I always found it much more fun to go swimming in the lake or playing in the dirt. I've just never been much for inactivity, and I think my father thought me too delicate.

...We didn't get along much as result.

Even when we were on good terms, he was always kind of stern. It's just how he was.

He was a good person at heart, just really stubborn. I sort of inherited that from him.

When I did turned six, my mother and I left for the big city to live with my aunt. I still really don't know what happened between them, but my Mom always said it had something to do with the education on the island. He only visited from time to time while I was in the big city, but it did mean my mother let me be the tomboy that I wanted to be.

I got a public education, and I worked all sorts of high-activity jobs: paper delivery, warehouse lifting, etc. When my dad found out, he put an end to that too. He got flustered and told me if I wanted a job, then most he'd be able to accept was me being a baker- which I did do for some time. I didn't do it for too long, just like many of my other jobs as it felt like something was missing.

We fought often, and with both of us being incredibly hardheaded, they went on for quite a while. Though, I can't help thinking now that... well, that I kinda wish I'd known the real him. It always seemed like he hiding something from me, and I'll probably never figure out what it was.

He passed away about a month ago, and with him the family farm had to sell off most of what was left. I still don't really know what happened to him, but it all happened very quickly. It wasn't but a week later that I recieved a notice from the Mayor that they would likely have to sell the farm off and compensate us. That woke me out of grieving quickly.

I left my life in the city behind on the drop of a dime*, and took off to meet the Mayor as fast as I could.

I wasn't going to let my early childhood be erased, and I was going to prove to my father once and for all I could handle a hard life.

(*Mom was fine with the idea, I think overjoyed even. Me leaving was a bit tough on her, but it would've broken her heart to lose the family farm.)

--

His letter said he was in the next town over from West Isle on a business trip. It wasn't very close to the city, and I'm surprised I made it just in time. Well, "just in time" might be an overstatement considering I barged in on a business discussion.

: ...sell the farm? I mean, it is an intriguing proposition...

I...sort of burst into the room. The secretary was yelling behind me, but I didn't really listen to her. I did apologize later, and I still feel bad for nearly giving the little lady a heart attack.

: You can't sell that farm! It was my father's, and I'll work on it! I'll get it back to running in tip top shape, I promise!

...At least that's what I hope I said. It's all a bit fuzzy for me, probably because of the adrenaline, but I was rehearsing that in my head on the whole trip there.

: You want to work on the farm? It's not as easy as you think, and I know you want to do it for your father. I can understand how...

He stopped and looked to the two business men at the table for a time and a melancholy look crossed his face, the wrinkles on his aged face showing slightly. I can only imagine what he was thinking, I must've been quite the sight given he hadn't seen me in 13 years and now I was here, out of breath and asking the impossible.

I wasn't crying though, I swear I can hold my composure. Okay, maybe a tear or two, but still!

Then the doors swung open again and barging in comes a man in a suit, who looked pretty similar to Mayor Hans actually. He had a determined look on his face and shuffled forward so fast I think he skipped using his cane more than a few times. Perhaps the shock from my entry had not yet worn off on the mayor, but he seemed much less surprised this time.

: My good lad, Hans, I must have a word with you!

: Harry was a good man, m'lad, I daresay I cannot abide to see his farm be marketed off! That little farm is the heart of West Isle, you should know!
: Well, I must admit I've had similar concerns...

It was at this point he glanced toward me, and one of the businessmen at the table started to speak. Before he finished his first word, Mayor Hans interrupted him.

: I do apologize for interrupting, gentlemen, but it seems I still have some considerations to make before I can consider selling off the farm. I'll get back to you if the situation changes.

It was with this that the businessmen left the room. One of them looked a bit sad about the whole ordeal and I couldn't help feel a bit sorry for him. The other was scowling non-stop and didn't give me anything but a death stare.

: Now, m'boy, you can't let yourself be such a pushover-
: I'm not-
: -But I've got good news for Harry's old farm, as I've got good ol' Peterson ready to help out! Surely, Harry's daughter there can do it with her help, you have to agree, I'm sure!
: Er, how did you know who I was?
: This is true, they might be...

: ... in Mr. Heinz's village and he can come here to help you out with it. He's already saved a farm before, so I think you'd be okay if you had him to help.
: If that's what it takes, then sure!
: He's a guy, will that be a problem?

Assuring him it wouldn't be an issue seemed to be all that was left to convince the Mayor. We signed a deal that gave me three years to work on the farm with the condition if I was successful, he'd hand the ownership over to me for good.

The two Mayors paid for me to stay the night in a nearby inn while Pete made his way here. The mainland part of West Isle didn't have a train station, so we'd need to take a boat from here. Though Heinz had to hurry back, he did get back to me on my unanswered question earlier: he recognized me because I apparently looked just like my mother.

That was nice to hear, though he did pester me about my dyed hair. It was one of the few things I still held onto from the city. Being the energetic man that he was, he left before I had a chance to ask him how he even knew my father or my mother in the first place.

--

The next morning I made my way to the station as quickly as I could, though I do wish I could have slept in a bit more. I hardly got any sleep because of how excited I was last night. The breakfast just made me sleepier.

Time creeped along slowly as I waited at the station. I was so ready to go back to the farm I couldn't sit still, and I was getting really restless. Eventually, the guy I was waiting for was supposed to come in on the train, but he hadn't shown just yet.

Eventually, a tanned guy comes walking along, dressed in a dirtied set of purple overalls and a hat cocked to the side. He'd passed by more than once already, I wanted to do something, so picking up a conversation with a random stranger seemed a fine idea at the time. Besides, I was beginning to wonder if he was lost.

When I waved him over, I was a bit taken aback. You couldn't really tell from a distance, but I didn't realize how large he was. I've always been the tall girl it seems, but he outsized even me. In spite of his muscles, he didn't cut an intimidating figure given he had this goofy smile and a rucksack tossed over one shoulder like a schoolboy trying to be cool.

: Hey, uh, how's it going? You look like you're looking for something.
: I'm just enjoying the nice sea air, dude. Like, don't ya just love it!?

It was at this point he inhaled loudly and made a big show of exhaling.

: Gotta love that ocean breeze, don't ya know?

I could agree with that as I'd missed it myself all these years. Eastside City had an entirely different scent to it, despite it being the same ocean. Though, the way he spoke reminded me of some of the people I met back in the city- I didn't remember anyone talking like that here. I don't remember anyone ever talking like this, honestly.

: It's great, I can agree with that. Say, what brings you out to the coast? You seem kinda lost, like you're looking for something.

As soon as I said that, his face lit up, like a kid in a candy store.

Music: Pete's Theme (Tutorial BGM)

: Whooaa dude, spot on! I've been lookin' for my new farmin' buddy all morning, you know? I've been wondering if he's done forgot about me, 'n all.
: Farming...buddy? Uh, what's their name?
: My buddy back at home, the Heinzmaster, told me I was going to be teaming up with a dude named Alex for some good ol' fashioned farming. Though I haven't seen any dudes all morning, my dude.

I really didn't know what to say after that.

: Er, my name's Alex.
: It's nice to meet you. Though Alex is a dude's name, right?
: I get that a lot, but it can be a girl's name too. It's short for Alexandra, but people don't usually call me that.

It took him a second to register what this meant.

: Whoooaaaaah! Alex is a girl's name too, I totally forgot!
: And?
: ...And what? I can't believe I forgot that. Like, man, that's crazy. But wait a second...

He stopped a second and stared at me seriously. I was completely still, mostly because I couldn't figure out whether to laugh or be in shock myself.

: WHOOOOAAAAAAH! You're that Alex? Alex with the farm, Alex? Farmer Alex, Alex?
: That's-

At this point he grabbed my hand and started shaking it vigorously. He about lifted me off the ground in doing so- if it wasn't for what strength I did have, he'd have probably thrown me to the sky.

: It's so nice to meet you, dudette! I've been waitin' here since 9 in the morning to give you a hand, and oh boy, we're gonna have so much fun farming I swear-

He'd eventually remember to tell me his name is Pete as I figured. As you might've already guessed, he's perhaps not the brightest spoon in the drawer.

: -I helped save my dad's farm too, dude, and I think it's just wonderful what you're doin'-

Probably not even the highest drawer in the cabinet.

: -and I tell ya, its gonna be great, I know exactly what to do, dude-

But you know, I didn't really mind that much. He's a nice distraction that keeps me from getting caught up thinking about my father.

: -but oh yeah, dude, I meant no disrespect, Alex, no wait, Ms. Alexandra.
: Don't worry about it. It's Alex, please just call me Alex.
: Can do, Ms. Alex!
: Just Alex is fine. There's no need for the "miss" part.
: Huh? But that's what I said, Ms. Alex.
: :sigh:

Somehow , just I knew couldn't win that conversation.

: Anyways, by the time we get to that island it'll be too late to start working. C'mon Ms. Alex, I'm followin' you, we gotta hurry!

Music: Introduction (Intro BGM)

And he was right: despite this being a neighboring town to West Isle, it would already be getting dark by the time we made it there. We grabbed some lunch from a nearby diner and met with the fisherman.

Mayor Hans had found a fisherman willing to take us there, though he insisted he was going to keep fishing the whole way. We weren't in a place to argue, given this was all spur of the moment arrangements.

Along the way, I asked Pete about Mr. Heinz, hoping for answers regarding my father. What I got was this:

--------

: It's planting season anyways, eh, Pete, m'boy? Just tell me where the seeds you've got are and we'll handle it from there!
: Whoa, dude, plantin' season already? I had no idea.
: It's marked on your calendar, isn't it, young lad?
: It is? Whoa, Heinzmaster, you're more perceptible than I thought!
: ...
: ...What, my dude?
: ...We'll take care of everything here, just go on to West Isle.
: Already packed my dude! Alright, see ya, Heinzmaster!

---------

...It told me more about Pete than it did anyone. I'm...having to wonder if he's a good a farmer as they say.

Music: The Sleepy West Isle (World Map Theme)

By the time we made it to the island, it was already dark.

It felt good to be back, but I didn't have any time to take in the sights tonight. We headed for the farm from here, and it was nearly pitch black by the time we got inside the farmhouse.

The last surprise for the day was waiting for me there. It was something I forgot about the farmhouse.

There wasn't any bedrooms, really. This is just the far corner of the house. It's that old of a building.

: Just two beds...?
: Aw, yeah, we get to have sleepovers every night! This is just awesome, Ms. Alex!

How old is this guy, anyways?

: Which one do you want, right or left?
: I'll, uh... I'll just take the right one.
: There's a wrong bed? Whoa, dude, you're pretty perceptible, Ms. Alex!

I... yeah. That was his honest response. I was too tired to bother trying to correct him on "perceptible", so I just let it pass. Trust me, the urge to facepalm when these moments happen is unbelievable.

The good news is that he falls asleep easy.

: *SNOOOOOORE*

The bad news is that it's like I'm sleeping next to a bear. Now you know why I'm awake tonight.

Well, tomorrow's going to be a good day, I just know it!

If I can stay awake during it, that is.

*The next update will have actual gameplay, I promise.

Every once in a while and between story updates, I'll cover things I've changed from the source material and the mechanics of the game that I don't have any reasonable ways to cover in the narrative itself. Occasionally, I'll show off a glitch or two in them as well. There's not many, but this game is incredibly exploitable.*

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've always wanted to get into Harvest Moon but I always lose interest quick. Which is weird because my Stardew Valley farm is 6 years old and a fully functional Ancient Fruit winery. I'm following this and hope it piques my interest in the series a little more

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 11, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've always wanted to get into Harvest Moon but I always lose interest quick. Which is weird because my Stardew Valley farm is 6 years old and a full functioning Ancient Fruit winery. I'm following this and hope it piques my interest in the series a little more

I've seen similar sentiments, and it's always felt odd to me because I'm the opposite. Harvest Moon games are some of my favorites for killing time, but I for the life of me could not get into Stardew Valley.

I don't know why, I just couldn't.

The gameplay is pretty simple for this game, but it does some neat things of its own. It is for the most part, the same sort of gameplay loop used up until the modern era for the main series games.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

The Flying Twybil posted:

I've seen similar sentiments, and it's always felt odd to me because I'm the opposite. Harvest Moon games are some of my favorites for killing time, but I for the life of me could not get into Stardew Valley.

The gameplay is pretty simple for this game, but it does some neat things of its own. It is for the most part, the same sort of gameplay loop used up until the modern era for the main series games.

Farming sims (or at least the only one I've made much progress in, anyways) are great for relaxation. After a stressful day it's nice to get lost in a simple, quiet world for a while.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
I've enjoyed both HM and SV. I do prefer RF of the farming sim series out there since it adds a great little gameplay twist and also has great characters who are all just so charming.

I will say SNES and PSX HM were my jam as a kid/teen, so I'm fully down for this.

I'm enjoying the vibe and writing so far, btw! You're doing a great job!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Farming sims (or at least the only one I've made much progress in, anyways) are great for relaxation. After a stressful day it's nice to get lost in a simple, quiet world for a while.

Agreed!

silversatyr posted:

I've enjoyed both HM and SV. I do prefer RF of the farming sim series out there since it adds a great little gameplay twist and also has great characters who are all just so charming.

I will say SNES and PSX HM were my jam as a kid/teen, so I'm fully down for this.

I'm enjoying the vibe and writing so far, btw! You're doing a great job!

The RF series is also my preferred farming sim series, and RF3 remains in the top range of my favorite games. I never knew the series existed until I found that in a secondhand game store. To this day, I unfortunately still don't have a box or manual for it.

Growing up, I never found the HM series until about Mineral Town/ A Wonderful Life, so those games were always my jam when it came to just kicking back and spending most of a day. I've played the SNES HM since, and it's amazing how strong of a start the series has.

Nice to know you're enjoying it so far! The next update's going to be a good idea of what future updates will be like considering I'll have some actual gameplay involved. I should have most of it done by today, given that I didn't have any time to work on it yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The Flying Twybil posted:

I loaded Friends of Mineral Town on my snes mini as it is the HM game I best remember and I think the clunkiness of the interface and the QoL deficit between that game and SV are the heavy hitters on why I still like SV better. I remember HM 64 and the HM gamecube game being fun and improving on those points, but there's something "right" about a top-down farming/life sim and SV has sucked in more hours than I would care to admit as it hits all the sweet spots Friends of Mineral Town did while also improving and expanding on most all of what that game did.

If you want to see how deep into a weird gameplay loop you can get, Graveyard Keeper is out there and is a complete time sink.