Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Lazyfire posted:

I loaded Friends of Mineral Town on my snes mini as it is the HM game I best remember and I think the clunkiness of the interface and the QoL deficit between that game and SV are the heavy hitters on why I still like SV better. I remember HM 64 and the HM gamecube game being fun and improving on those points, but there's something "right" about a top-down farming/life sim and SV has sucked in more hours than I would care to admit as it hits all the sweet spots Friends of Mineral Town did while also improving and expanding on most all of what that game did.

If you want to see how deep into a weird gameplay loop you can get, Graveyard Keeper is out there and is a complete time sink.

I can agree to the QoL differences regarding the older games. Most of the early Harvest Moons, even into the GCN era suffer from some really clunky menuing being required, I just put up with it because I'm used to it.

HM3 GBC is actually really bad on this regard requiring me to go: SELECT, move down to TOOL, go inside and navigate through a grid inventory, hit A on what I want, all with the processing speed of the GBC. This game is relaxed enough that it doesn't matter too much, but I won't lie that the menus eventually get a bit tiring. Mineral Town at least had the "shoulder button + B" shortcut to cycle through all of your tools, though the incredibly limited bag space makes that a chore.

I've mentioned Rune Factory before, and another reason I like it is its drastic increases in QoL in comparison to these earlier games as well. Every handheld game features a rotational menu for your Tools/Weapons, Items, Skills/Spells, a good amount of bag space, quicker farming, and crops you can walk through. The later games, starting with RF3, have a much quicker protagonist, combo capable tools, and a faster cycling bar that lets you micromanage your time by seconds if you want to be that optimized.

Cripes, I think I might've just realized why I can't get into Stardew Valley. I think Rune Factory already does everything I'd want it to.

...I should really stop talking about RF and get back to Harvest Moon talk. I mean, it was inevitable that I would start talking about it in the end.

-----------

Next Update will be out some time tomorrow for sure. The plan is about a 3-4 day update schedule, though we may find times where it could progress a bit faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’ve played MFoMT so much I think I don’t even register the clunkiness half the time outside of the lack of stacks and the tiny backpack.

The remake at least is adding stacks and expanding the backpack size, so it will probably be the best version, if XSeed ever announces the English release date.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

If you want to see how deep into a weird gameplay loop you can get, Graveyard Keeper is out there and is a complete time sink.

Huh, Graveyard Keeper looks like a lot of fun. I hadn't heard of it until now. How does it shape up to HM?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Graveyard Keeper is a little more focused on crafting and later automation than HM is.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Graveyard Keeper is a little more focused on crafting and later automation than HM is.

Yeah but it's about as grindy and weirdly unfinished. Worth a go if that's your thing anyway.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah like there's no time stress in Graveyard Keeper, there's not even any calendar at all aside from a repeating week structure where certain things can be done on certain days of the week. There are no seasons or anything.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Hey, since we're playing the lady, is HM3 one of the sexist ones where if you get married the game ends or was that just uh, More Friends of Mineral Town I think that did that?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Hey, since we're playing the lady, is HM3 one of the sexist ones where if you get married the game ends or was that just uh, More Friends of Mineral Town I think that did that?

Yes, yes it is. This is something I'll bring up in the mechanical update, but Alex isn't able to obtain any upgraded tools, can only obtain the Miracle Glove through trade, and its a bit difficult to obtain the means to make yarn, mayonnaise, etc either.

But, I can override a good bit of this with some memory editing.

Personally, I usually play the female anyways because I like having more control over the animals.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 13, 2020

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

More Friends of Mineral Town was actually the first HM game with a playable female character where marriage didn’t end your game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

hopeandjoy posted:

More Friends of Mineral Town was actually the first HM game with a playable female character where marriage didn’t end your game.
That would explain why it's the one that I had associated in memory with that specific flaw!

and also hell yeah memory editing just steamroll on through, I'm excited to see where this goes then

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That would explain why it's the one that I had associated in memory with that specific flaw!

and also hell yeah memory editing just steamroll on through, I'm excited to see where this goes then

It'll be some time before we get there, but it will have some really odd gameplay implications. There's actually a lot of really strange things in this game, mechanically.

----

In other news, I think I still might be able to get the update out tonight, but it'll be a long one. I'm, uh... still on the first day writing wise. I suppose I just can't help writing more and more- it's always been an issue of mine to be long winded.

In my defense, the week itself is frontloaded and character introductions take up most of the space anyways. I still think its an interesting week to show off and you should enjoy it if you found the last one up to par.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Yeah like there's no time stress in Graveyard Keeper, there's not even any calendar at all aside from a repeating week structure where certain things can be done on certain days of the week. There are no seasons or anything.

These are all factors in why it becomes a complete time sink. If you want to talk to a person or buy an item from a specific vendor you have to wait until they are available a lot of the time, so you tell yourself you'll only play for another day/night cycle (you only need to sleep when the character gets tired rather than every night), but then you've got bodies coming, your farm just bloomed up, your wine is almost fermented and you are close to unlocking the next level of gravestones or whatever. So you keep playing. There's never a natural break like in Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley, it just keeps going.

The game is unfinished, you can tell just because of the number of things completely inaccessable/not working. They still managed to port it to everything under the sun and release DLC, so it looks like the developer (the people who made Punch Club), is going to keep supporting it in some form.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ah, I loved this one. Didn't own it unfortunately, so I played the second GBC one (which I did own) more overall, but this one was still good times.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

The Flying Twybil posted:

In other news, I think I still might be able to get the update out tonight, but it'll be a long one. I'm, uh... still on the first day writing wise. I suppose I just can't help writing more and more- it's always been an issue of mine to be long winded.

In my defense, the week itself is frontloaded and character introductions take up most of the space anyways. I still think its an interesting week to show off and you should enjoy it if you found the last one up to par.

A correction on my previous statement: tonight's update will be just the first day of the week. It does contain actual gameplay, but it's still kind of a introductory update. Looking at it now, if I did the entire week with this update it would break your scrollbar, so I'm just splitting it into two updates.

That being said, it's still being released tonight.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 2: Croissants Are A Lunch Food (Year 1, Spring 1)

Twybil's Note: This one's an absolute scrollbar breaker, so I've linked the title to view only this post. Click if needed.

Music: The Working Life

Spring 1st, Year 1

Today was technically the first day of Spring, though its been warm enough for the last 3 days to call it part of the season. Once I finally got to sleep, I slept surprisingly well. There's something about this old bed that's extremely comforting.

Anyways, I woke up at 5:20 and got dressed in the kitchen. Pete was up before me, and didn't seem to understand when I told him closing his eyes wouldn't be enough.

We fixed some breakfast together and he seemed to know more about cooking than I thought. He made these odd, dumpling type things out of pancake batter.

Though I was a bit reluctant at first, they were pretty good. It's not Mom's cooking, for sure, but I couldn't complain. He was as enthusastic as ever.

: Yeaaah! Fresh carbs in the morning! Woo!

Just a bit after that, we heard an odd sound from outside. Pete said it was a bird, but it sounded a whole lot more like a cat to me.

It turns out I was right, given it was a gray cat probably just a bit older than a kitten. I had no idea where it had come from, though I figured it might've run away from someone in the town.

Music: Pete's Theme (Tutorial BGM)

: Ooh, Ms. Alex, can we keep her? I know, we'll call her Bird!
: I thought we already established she's a cat. She looks more like a Soot to me.
: But she acts just like one, look!

Sure enough, the cat was sitting there pawing at some old seeds on the ground. It even "pecked" at them from time to time.

: Every day just get stranger.
: That means we're keeping her, right?
: Mrrrow!
: I mean, we could but I'm a bit worried it belongs to someone in town. I'll ask around today, okay?
: Whoa, dude, I hadn't even thought of that! I don't want to be known as a cat burglar!

Before I even had a chance to correct him, we were startled by another unusual sound. Today was full of surprises, I tell you.

: A cow?! Like, when did that get here?
: I was about to ask you!

Almost magically, there was a cow in the cattle barn standing there next to a big bag of feed. Once I got over my initial wonder, I took a look at the feed bag and it explained this, at least. There was a note there, signed by Mr. Heinz.

Mr. Heinz's Note posted:

: I do apologize for my intrusion, m'lass, but I saw a farmer selling this cow and heard myself saying that Harry's little 'ol daughter needed herself some stock to work with if she was just starting out. I had her sent on over here on my behalf, and you'll need some animals to run a proper ranch anyhoo.

: Take care of little bonny Bess and Harry's farm for me! ~ Mr. Heinz

...Yes, he apparently even writes in his accent. It was slightly patronizing, but I couldn't help being thankful for it. Having animals on the farm was a big part of my childhood, and the one part I know I could handle easily.

Though I wouldn't be inclined to call Bess little. She's a Jersey, and probably about 3 years old- she's pretty much fully grown at this point, and a good thing too as she would be less skittish.

: Hey, Ms. Alex, what's that note?
: It's from Mr. Heinz, it says he bought this cow for us as a gift!

I had to yell because he was standing all the way in the doorway. He absolutely refused to get close, and I'm not sure why.

: Whoooaaaah, Mr. Heinz? That Mr. Heinz? The told me to come help you Mr. Heinz? The Mr. Heinz that-
: Yes, that one!
: Right on, Heinzmaster! He's such a good guy, y'know? What a gratuitous person!

...I didn't feel like it was worth arguing that one. It was worth a laugh, though.

: Well, anyways, I'll take care of Bess if that's fine-
: Yeah, yeah, like totally fine, my dude! I'll leave you to it, Ms. Alex!
: ...with you. Here, uh, let me show you where the other tools are real quick.

My father always kept his tools in side closet in the storehouse. I always thought it got a bit cramped in here because of that, but he sold his inventory quickly enough for it to not matter. There wasn't a fridge, but there was a root cellar, and it was cold enough down there.

Music: Tools and Seeds

A collection of his old tools was still left, many of them with wrought iron bases and steel blades. I know this because he never stopped bragging about them and complaining about the quality of the factory produced tools of the modern day. The odd one out was the maul, it probably being made within the last 5 years by my father's hands, compared to the others which were passed down by my grandfather. The maul was capped with metal so it could smash stones as well as stakes.

There were quite a few brushes in here, some rather used up, bringing back the faint memories of the old lady who used to make these back on the mainland. The milker was new-ish, and it didn't look like it was used much. I don't think my father needed it much, and I don't think I would either. As much as my father was against me being very active, he never had a problem with me taking care of animals. I still remembered how to milk a cow by hand, it wasn't that complicated and it was one of the last things I got to do before I left to the city.

Once Pete took sight of the tools, his eyes widened as if he was opening a present.

: Oh, dude, oh, man! Look at these beauties! Whooah, your dad has a great collection- WHOOAH, look at this forgework-

It made me somewhat sad actually. He and my father would've talked until sundown had they known each other.

: -the edge on this hoe, just wow, man! It's just perfect! Oh, I get to use these, I really do?
: Yes, but don't break them, okay? They're antiques at this point-
: I'll care for 'em like they were my children, Ms. Alex!
: That might be going a bit too far, but thanks. For today, can you clear out some land in the field? Maybe enough for me to grow a few bags of seeds?
: Can do, my dude! I'm ready for some farmin'!

Hauling a hoe, watering can, and axe all at the same time, he marched on off towards the field with a big grin.

I grabbed a brush, two buckets, a milk canister, and some udder salve. Stopping by the house, I cleaned out both of the buckets and brought some warm water in one of them. My mother showed me how to do all this, I'd watched her countless times, and I hoped I was doing it the same as she did back then.

Brushing Bess's coat off was pretty easy, she seemed like a pretty neat cow. She liked hearing that, I think. With that out of the way, it was time for me to get to milking.

Mom's old milking stool was still in here, though we never had a stanchion like you'd see on some farms. Our cows were usually docile enough to be fine with it.

The process isn't really that bad, it just takes a while. First you wash off their udder from any contaminants to protect the milk, and then you use some salve so you don't chafe them. It's an uncomfortable process as is, so it's best to minimize as much discomfort as possible. It's preferable to give them a bit of something to chew on while you do this.

After that you start milking them, starting on one half and changing to the other side once they're done. It's usually best to milk a little bit out of each first before actually putting any in a bucket, that way you can make sure its all clean.

When it comes to actually milking, you don't pull on the teat, you just gently squeeze it out, actually. It's kind of like making a fist, but you start with just the index finger and go down one at a time.

Once you've got it all, you pour it into a milk canister, then you pasturize it. Or not, either way. I'm actually used to having it raw, but you'll probably get sick if you're not already used to it.

Okay, I'll admit I studied up on this in a reference book last night. But I remembered most of it, honest!

Bess gave only some milk- there wasn't that much there, but stress from moving can have that effect sometimes. At least, I think Mom said something about that sometimes.

After that, I gave her some feed for the day. I didn't imagine the pastures are in too great of shape anymore.

Unfortunately, I was right in regard to that. There was some greenery in here, but most of it was shrubs and weeds that she probably wouldn't touch. Winter wasn't kind to this pasture it seemed.

The horse pasture was also in rough shape...

Same went for the chicken field...

And the sheep pasture, too. It looks like I'll have my work cut out for me over the next few months.

It was about 10 AM after I finished checking all of those, so I went and inspected the building next to the storehouse. I didn't remember it being there, so I went inside.

Inside, I found to be more of a fancy fence than a building. There was also my father's best shovel inside, so I suppose he was planning on digging something.

Not sure about what to do with this just yet, I decided to head to the town and around the island to check on everything and to see what changed.

Music: The Sleepy West Isle (World Map Theme)

The view from this cliffside is only different now in that the half of West Isle on the mainland is a bit larger now. Now that I think about it, calling the mainland town West Isle still is really odd, though I know it has to do with the island's strange history.

The mountains look as calm as ever. They go pretty far up, but I didn't really have the time to look there for today.

Then there's the forest. It's a lot more grown up than I remember it, but it's been over a decade. I only went in as far as what we used to call the "grassland". I had a couple of reasons for this visit, actually.

And I was right to believe they'd still be there. Back when I was little, there used to be the best berries you could find here. They call them "mock strawberries", and I've eaten those before too, but I'd argue these are different.

They're really sweet, I swear! The other kids in town and I ate them all the time, though I would agree they taste a bit like watermelon.

I found about four bunches of them growing there wildly, so I picked a decent few and went on my way.

The village was my main goal for the day. I supposed a public ferry would be there, given as we always had one as a child, but I also wanted to see if any of my old friends were still around.

West Isle village looks surprisingly unchanged. I couldn't see much in the darkness, but the only changes in the town is the few repairs on a couple of the buildings.

I didn't see anyone around at first, but then I saw good old Elder Graham standing in his flower garden. He always really liked cultivating the native flowers, especially the scarlet rosmallow hibiscus.

I did have to ask him to remind me of the name. I've never been good at plant names.

: ...Wha? If isn't Harry's girl, little girly Alex!
: Hey, I'm not short!
: ...at least not anymore.

I was pretty small when I was younger, but I don't think I was any shorter than the other kids. I got tall really fast though, it was disorienting for a while.

: I hardly recognized you coming up the way, what with your head looking like a bunch of pink pansies!
: Hey!

Was everyone going to get on me about my hair dye? I'm not changing it, either way.

: Ahahaha! I'm just a teasing ya, Alex. Long time no see! I heard you'd be taking up Harry's farm from the mayor across the way.
: ...That's right, sir.
: I've been told you've got yourself quite the helper as well! I bet he's a real handsome lad you've roped in!
: W-what!? No, it's not-
: Oho! When's your date?
: WHAT?!

It was about this point Old Graham burst into laughter and didn't stop for quite some time. As embarassing as it was, I couldn't help but laugh a little. He's set to be a comedian or a clown with his love of laughing.

: Aha aha... Well, missy, it was nice seeing you again. Brings back a lot of memories, good ones. Well, when it comes to the farm...

: Can do, Mr. Graham, I'll see you around!
: You as well!

Down by the Lighthouse Inn, I found a new face. Where Pete was large due to raw muscle, this guy seemed to have it more in paunch. The finely fitted suit he wore seemed a bit odd for the countryside, but I suppose my hair dye doesn't put me at liberty to complain.

: ...daughter, right? Greetings, my name is Bigbee.
: Nice to meet you! I suppose the news about me travels fast.
: Well, the Elder informed us you'd be coming soon, hence the prior knowledge. I moved here a few years ago, so this is the first time we've met.
: I...I figured that.
: Excellent! I'm maintaining the inn for the old couple that used to live here while I work on my writing. The low rate of visitors makes it a beneficial arrangement.
: The old couple...Mr. and Mrs. Alamander? Where did they go off to?
: Evidence suggests they're living with their nephew back in Northside City.
: ...Evidence...?
: Precisely. The evidence being my contract and agreement with them. Once the details were factored, the truth became clear.

Bigbee is an odd guy, to put it shortly. He's maybe a few years older than me, but that just makes me wonder how long the Alamanders have been away.

: However, if you now take residence upon this island, it would be remiss if I did not inform you that you could create a hot spring here.
: Hot springs? Since when?
: The discovery was made by yours truly. There is a significant amount of geothermal heat here and low aquifers.
: Uh, thanks, I guess. I can take a look at making one at the farm sometimes. Anyways, I'll see you around sometime. Bye!
: I have determined this to be a probable occasion, so I must agree. Farewell!

Such an odd guy. It was about midday, so I decided to head on back to see how Pete was doing. On the way back to the farm, I met another new face.

She was about maybe two or three years younger than me and easily a foot shorter. She had a lot of freckles all across her face, making apparent that she didn't wear any makeup.

Back in the city, they would say she didn't really need any- she was plenty pretty as is. I never usually bothered with the stuff personally, mostly because it was such a hassle.

: ...of the farm, right? Alex?
: I suppose you've already heard of me, then.
: Yep! The Elder was going on and on yesterday about little Miss Alexandra Bethany and all the funny stuff she did as a kid!
: Er, that, yeah...
: Hehe, don't worry yourself, girl, he didn't say anything that bad. He only told us that your name is Alex. I only found out because I looked at the papers behind his back.
: :mad:

...That was just rude.

: Aw, don't get in a fuss about it. I'm sorry, but I got curious! Hey, Alexandra's a pretty name and you should be happy!
: Yeah, about that...
: Hey, if it makes you feel any better, my name's is Katiekins Albertina.
: ...Ouch. That first one's not even...
: I tell ya what, darlin: I can call you Alex, and you can call me Kate. It's our little secret, okay?
: Sure, we can do that. Thanks.
: Oh, I've gotta get going! Just so you know, I love milk, so good luck on your farm! Bring some for me sometime! Love the hair! Byeee~!

And with that she took off running before I could say goodbye. She definitely has a lot of energy, but I just hope that she doesn't go poking around my private business anymore.

At least someone likes my hair color.

After hearing Bigbee's statements, I had an idea I wanted to try. I went back to the little building where I found the shovel and started digging.

Sure enough, there was warm water here! It was surprisingly easy work so I did some more work on it and called it there.

It was about midday, so I went to check on Pete's progress. I figured those big arms of his would make a steel plow look bad.

I'm not so sure anymore.

...This was about the extent of 6 hours of work, apparently. I didn't know what to say.

: It's still a work in progress, but it's pretty rad if you ask me, Ms. Alex.
: ...
: Ms. Alex, dude, did ya hear me?
: Yeah, yeah, but can I ask a question?
: Sure can, my dude.
: ... How is this all you got done in six hours?
: Like I said, Ms. Alex, it's a work in progress. Though I did spend a good amount of time inspecting these tools, oh a and working on my tan and-

Today, I think I recieved the biggest headache I've ever had in my life. Facepalming didn't help it much either.

: I...I just...d-don't you have something else to be doing right about now?
: Uhh...I don't think so- WHOA, IT'S LUNCHTIME, MY DUDE! I gotta get right on that!

We never agreed to anything of the sort, but as long as he wasn't around I wasn't going to feel like I was about to have a brain aneurysm.

I'm not hallucinating that he's supposed to be an expert farmer, right? ...Nope, that's what I wrote yesterday. If this is an elaborate joke, it's not funny.

I needed space for crops today, so I didn't have much of a choice aside from doing it myself.

I cleared out some land. That was easy enough by hand.

Then I started tilling out some space...

And kept tilling. I found what seemed like some valuable rocks or old pieces of metal every once in a while. I picked them up, assuming they'd be worth at least something.

I got hungry so I went and grabbed a bit of lunch from the house, not sticking around very long. I don't think croissants are supposed to be lunch, but I tried to not think about it too hard because my headache came back.

I got enough cleared to plant some stuff. That's all I needed, and it took me less than an hour. With that out of the way, I ran back to town to try and catch the ferry to the mainland. There I met with the new ferryman who wasn't there this morning.

: that farmer, Harry. My name's Kirk, nice to meet ya.
: I'm Alex, it's nice to meet you as well.
: If you need to go to the mainland, I can take you on Mondays and Thursdays from 9 to 6. I unfortunately don't have as much time as the previous ferryman did, so these two days are the only ones I can spare.
: I can work with that. Are you open to go right now?
: Sure. Jump on.

Mr. Alamander was the full-time ferryman before, and Mrs. Alamander ran the inn in the meantime. Kirk's pretty agreeable, if a bit terse.

: Say, have you met my daughter yet? Her name's Kate, and she's about your age, I'd say.
: I have, though I think I'm a bit older than her.
: Eh, well you're still young. You've got time to grow.

There's nicer ways to ask someone to be friends with your kid. Ignoring that, the trip felt surprisingly short- I was at the mainland in no time.

Music: West Isle Mainland

: Just get back here by 6 if you can. I don't want Kate to start worrying about me or else I'll never hear the end of it.
: Can do.

While I was here, I met a guy telling me that morning fairs are held at the docks on Tuesdays and Saturdays, prior to 9 AM. That's far out of Kirk's schedule, so it looks like I won't get to see what these are about.

I suppose I'll have to find some way across on my own time.

The sun was starting to get a bit low by the time I got to the mainland, so I needed to hurry and get what I came here for first. The Farmer's Union was my first stop.

Music: Mainland Stores

It's a surprisingly fancy building now. The local bank was merged into here at some point it seems.

Among the various things they had in store, they had a "sprinkler" costing 50,000 G. I don't know what sort of magic it's supposed to be, but I'll probably never afford that.

They also had a scarecrow, but that was almost all of my savings, so I opted not to.

They were also selling grass seeds... although I don't know if their price made me a bit reluctant or what, because I only bought two bags. I didn't need pasture grass too quickly anyways.

Aside from that, they also sold some medicines and other supplies I didn't have any reason to buy just yet.

: Hey, do you know where to buy crop seeds? Aside from grass, I mean.
: Just head to the mall, first store on the left.
: Thanks!

Who ever heard of selling seeds in a mall?

It was bigger than I thought, though surprisingly empty. I don't really know why they needed this big of a building for it, since it's mostly a local storefront from what I can see.

Near the entrance was an old man sitting at a table.

: ...lunch?
: I think it's a bit past lunch, sir.
: Why, I know that! I was wondering what I was going to have for lunch tomorrow!
: Oh, okay.

I've never seen him around before, or at least, I don't remember him. I forgot to ask his name, unfortunately.

It seems like the left half of this room was a diner, and I was drawn in at the sight of a familiar face holding onto a cat.

: Mrs. Chloe Jewel, do you remember me?
: Why, if it isn't little Alex Button all grown up! I heard you'd come back to West Isle, but I couldn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes!
: Yes, it's me. How've you been?
: Never better, sweetie! As you can see I eventually got my diner started up and it's doing great! How about you? Come back to fulfill that promise you made?
: I've been good, but... what promise?
: I can't believe you'd forget something so important! You promised you'd marry my dear boy, Billy!
: B-b-but, I was five! I didn't-
: Haha, I'm just joking with you, sweetheart! Your face went a really beautiful shade of red though, are you sure you're still-
: I-I'm sure.

Why does it seem like everyone wanted to mess with me today...?

: Really? Now that I think about it, you made the same promise to little Ezla...maybe you-
: I'M SURE, MRS. JEWEL. :cripes:

I was five, it's not like I knew what marriage meant, okay? You're in no place to judge, you're reading my diary.

Billy and Ezla were the other two kids on the island while I was around. We'd known each other since infancy though, so we had been close for a while, but we lost contact.

: Aw, dear, you know I can't help teasing.
: ...Y-yeah, okay. How are Billy and Ezla anyways? I haven't seen them around town?
: They're doing fine for themselves. Both've taken up fishing, so they're probably out at sea, but I know they want to see you again.
: I'll be sure to say hello if I see them sometime! Oh, I almost forgot! Do you know anything about a gray cat on the island? It showed up at my farm and...
: Nope! Allison here is my only cat, and I'm the only member of the Cat Club in West Isle, so it must be a stray that hitched a ride on a boat!
: What should I do about it?
: Keep it, of course! Every farm needs a mouser, my dear! That, and Ally would love to have a playmate!
: Alright, I'll do that! Bye, Mrs. Jewel!
: Bye, Alex! Be sure to stop by sometime, my...

Well, with that distraction out of the way, I went over to the flower shop on the left and immediately got distracted again.

: Welcome to my-
: Whoa :stare:
: Whoa :stare:
: Au Natrale 34, cotton pink?
: Brave choice, I know- Sky Henna 13, wild nebula?
: You... you got it! Hah, someone who finally understands!
: You're telling me, girl! Hair dye forever, queenie!
: Straight back 'atcha, king! Treads to the pavement, and hit the pedal!

Despite how much I loved the country, my time in the city was still part of me. The admittedly strange slang was also still there.

: I'd never have thought to find another club rouser like me out here!
: Small world, I guess! We might want to hold back a bit on the code before everyone starts looking at us strangely.
: True words, there. What's your story?
: Saving the farm I grew up on, you?
: Living out my time growing the best flowers I can.
: :hmmyes:
: :hmmyes:

Well, that helped my mood entirely. It was odd finding someone so relatable, especially when the entire day had been such a rollecoaster. I didn't really have any more time to talk, though. I'd burned more than enough time.

: Hey, uh, sorry to cut it short, but what's your recommendation for spring crops?
: All cool with me. I'd go for the potatoes. They've got the best flowers.

: Good with me! I've gotta jet before I miss the ferry, but before I go, what's your name?
: Lukia, you?
: Alex! I'll see you around!

I wasn't lying, I was running out of time. There was a whole second floor to the mall I didn't get to look at, but I couldn't make the ferryman wait any longer.

Something did stop me, though, if at least briefly.

: Oh! I know what I'll have for lunch: croissants!
: :sigh:

: Whew, made it back! I didn't get to see everything, but that's fine.
: It'd be better if you left earlier next time.
: Yeah, yeah. It's my first day, and I'm still straightening everything out.
: Just sayin'. Hop on.

: ...Say, you're technically a sea captain, right?
: You got that right. I just don't wear my hat because I like the wind in my hair.
: Okay, Captain Kirk. Hahaha!
: ???

It was funny at the time. You had to be there to understand.

...Actually, why was that funny again?

Eh, I'll remember it at some point. I think I was still a bit giddy from having most of that headache lifted.

Before I got to work planting, I took a brief moment to watch the sunset from the cliffside. I needed a brief rest and I figure it couldn't hurt.

It was nice to see again, kind of like an old friend. I'd sneak out as a child to watch it all the time, and the sunset view here was much better than the sunrise on the other coast.

When I got to the field and planted the first bag of potatoes, I realized I didn't entirely remember how my dad did it. So I needed to till some more...

It looked right once planted, so I did that some more.

...And more.

Eventually, I found a golden colored berry plant I hadn't noticed before. Now these I really remembered being delicious so I couldn't help myself.

I don't regret it either! That thing tasted really good, even if was a bit gritty, enough to give me a real big boost in energy.

I eventually got it all, though! By the end I was completely wore out, though it felt good. I probably wouldn't have done it without that strange berry.

I resolved to get the grass planted tomorrow, I didn't need it as much as I would the crops.

All that put me in such a good mood finally that I even gave one of those mock strawberries to Pete. In retrospect, I kinda can't hold earlier today against him, I guess.

: Ooh, Ms. Alex, y'know this would be great for lunch! It'd be good with croissants!
: What is it, my dude?
: ...Nothing. Just tired. Really, really tired. I'm just going to go to bed now, okay?
: Yeah, you should do that, Ms. Alex! I'll be up for a bit, because I'm wacked out at how totally not tired I am. It's just strange dude.
: I wonder why.
: Oh, Ms. Alex, one last thing! Did you find out if we could keep the cat? The cat outside cat? The outside cat now inside cat? The-
: Yeah. It's ours.
: WHOA, DUDE, YEAH! C'mere Bird, you're part of the family now! Best day EVER!
: Mrrooow!

I mean, with a reaction like that, how could I say no?

Well, that and there was also the fact that she was already inside the house. On top of me.

...Hopefully tomorrow goes better.

Next Update: Mistakes Were Made

------

Next update shouldn't take me nearly as long, and shouldn't be as long. Regardless, enjoy your supersized update and apologies are due for destroying your scrollbar. If you've got any criticisms about anything, throw them my way. Part of this is to refine my writing again, and though this is a bit off from my usual style, any improvement helps.

...And yes, Pete really is this bad at farming. I'll cover as to why in the mechanics update.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 15, 2020

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
This is why we don’t let NPCs do anything. They just work on their tans if left alone too long without giving them a “gentle” nudge

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The finely fitted suit he wore seemed a bit odd for the countryside, but what was more odd was the
The what? Don't leave me in suspense now!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Fond fond memories of HM helpers and spouses being absolutely awful at their jobs.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Sometimes you just need a pretty face to motivate you to get poo poo done. A pretty face with a rockin' body. A pretty face with a rockin' body that's just dripping sweat. A pretty face with a rockin' body that's just dripping sweat and lifts your chin with his rough hand, smiles, and...

I'm sorry, where am I?

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 15, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Commander Keene posted:

The what? Don't leave me in suspense now!

Curses, I must have forgotten to finish a sentence. I'll, uh, try to remember where I was going with that and I'll edit it in.

I sometimes jump around a bit when I'm writing and fail to remember I didn't complete a sentence.

It was probably because of this
-V-

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Sometimes you just need a pretty face to motivate you to get poo poo done. A pretty face with a rockin' body. A pretty face with a rockin' body that's just dripping sweat. A pretty face with a rockin' body that's just dripping sweat and lifts your chin with his rough hand, smiles, and...

I'm sorry, where am I?

:allears:

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
I dunno, I was always content to let Anne hammer away in the shed with whatever experiment she was doing. I had the farm handled just fine.

That was a pretty great read tho! I'm enjoying the characterisation you're injecting into the NPCs and going into more detail about farming information (like how to milk a cow) is pretty cool. >.<)b

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

silversatyr posted:

That was a pretty great read tho! I'm enjoying the characterisation you're injecting into the NPCs and going into more detail about farming information (like how to milk a cow) is pretty cool. >.<)b

The characterization is just a personal flair to enhance what I have to work with. This being held on 256kb of memory means most of the characters only have a small amount of dialogue to define them, so I'm mostly playing up on what's accessible. They're going to be around for the entire game, so I might as well make them count. For instance, Bigbee's mostly very factual and speaks in short, if not sometimes obvious statements, this being inherited from his few lines of dialogue in the game.

---

As for the extra details, I think it adds a nice layer of verisimilitude to the story. Honestly, if I didn't include them or define the characters, this would be a rather brief narrative.

There's a bit more to milking I could cover, but Alex wouldn't likely remember/know it yet. That is the actual method for hand milking though, which also applies to sheep and goats, plus or minus one or two details. Just don't walk up to an expert dairy farmer one day and claim you know how to do it from what I've written- I'm no professional, I'm just familiar with the process. Now, as for the crop farming itself... well, that's a story for another day.

They're both small details, but the mock strawberry/snakeberry and the crimson hibiscus are also both real. I've had mock strawberries before and I'd say the comparison to watermelon is quite accurate, though it is worth noting that they are very gritty but also function as an antiseptic.

I can cover a lot more about the behind the scenes stuff, mechanics or tiny details included, when I get to an intermission update. I think it goes without saying though that I've actually modified a few screenshots and some dialogue. I won't tell you which ones, but you might be able to put that together on your own.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Oh, I know (about the milking thing). We used to own a goat (she was super playful and a great milker) so I've had experience with milking them. It just wasn't something I was expecting to be touched on and it added a lot of more interesting aspects to make the writing a lot more engaging and feel deeper (in that Alex is relearning old skills and reminiscing on what she does know about farming). It makes it a lot more approachable to learn/relearn/understand what she's also learning/relearning/understanding and certainly helps with connecting with her struggles.

I do love her interactions with fellow-dye-job-dude. It gives her that little touch of "This is the me that was, and I'm changing now to who I am, but I can still be the me that used to exist in the city with this person" which is always nice to see - a little flashback to her past characterisation.

>.<)b

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I loved the connecting over the dyed hair, too. Very nice scene, very fun.

Please help me - what is going on with the female eyes in this game? They look like ] [ to me, and I can't figure out how I'm supposed to "see" them. For such a small detail, it is really throwing my brain every time I see them.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Kacie posted:

I loved the connecting over the dyed hair, too. Very nice scene, very fun.

Please help me - what is going on with the female eyes in this game? They look like ] [ to me, and I can't figure out how I'm supposed to "see" them. For such a small detail, it is really throwing my brain every time I see them.

Glad you enjoyed it, writing that little bit is why I held the impromptu vote on whether it was dyed or not.

I won't lie, the female eyes look like brackets to me as well, but I just got used to it. They're probably supposed to look like this:

It's what I refer to as "pac-man eyes", though I know this bit of eye shape probably runs all the way back to the earliest Disney designs.

Being limited to 3 colors + transparency makes it hard to give detail. I've done a lot of spriting in the GBC styles, and it's a constant battle of interpretation.

----

Next update should be out late tomorrow, and it's jam-packed with participation!

It's not as long as this one, thankfully, but its still got lots of content.

Edit: Okay, not tonight, tomorrow morning. I've got a few last bits of Spring 7th to write. I admittedly got distracted by Neo Turf Masters longer than I intended.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 19, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 3: Mistakes Were Made (Year 1, Spring 2-7)

Spring 2nd, Year 1

I woke up sore all over today, but I suppose that's to be expected. None of my last jobs were this labor intensive, and it didn't help that I had to do everything yesterday.

We had croissants among other stuff this morning, but Pete and everyone else still seems to insist they're lunch food.

: You know Ms. Alex, it's not good to eat lunch food for breakfast.
: Goin' to milk Bess?

: Yeah, do you mind watering the seeds I planted yesterday? It shouldn't be too hard.
: Can do, Ms. Alex! Oh, before you go, did you notice the hot spring's been finished?
: ...No? All I did was dig a hole yesterday.
: Well, uh, it is, I think.

I brought Bird outside and she went back to pawing at seeds on the ground. I question whether she'll end up being a mouser at all, but she doesn't seem hungry anytime I try to feed her.

I guess she's just doing it when I'm not looking?

: *Purr*

Still an odd cat, though.

Bess seems to be really docile, which is good for me. She doesn't get herself too dirty either, which makes part of my job faster at least.

She doesn't give much milk, but I suppose that's fine. My mother told me that cows occasionally need to "work into" producing large quantities of milk.

I'm a bit worried with how long it's taking me to milk her now, though. Unless I get really good at this, a whole herd of cows is going to have me in the barn from sunrise to sundown!

I brought her out to the pasture with me to see if she wanted to touch any of the existing greenery. It wouldn't be much, but any real grass in her diet would be great until I could get these fields re-established.

Actually, starting work on that was my other project for the morning. The plan was to make enough money from those potatoes to get enough grass seeds to fix these fields to then raise more cows to then-

Well, you get the point.

Once the bigger weeds were gone, I moved some rocks and took to clearing out a large stump.

It took a bit of effort, but being old and dry made it easier to get rid of than a fresh stump. I took what was salvageable and set that to the side- it'd make for decent firewood.

It really got my arms burning and me sweating this early in the year, but there was a nice cool breeze out that made it quite refreshing.

Before I knew it, it was lunchtime already. I grabbed some leftover breakfast and got back to work.

I even eventually got one of those giant rocks smashed to pieces.

I was on so much of a roll that I took out some of the smaller rocks too. It was about that time that whatever adrenaline I had going wore off and I really felt my arms.

Needing a break, I went to see how Pete's progress was. I should've known I wasn't going to catch a break today, but the benefit of doubt is a tricky thing.

: I couldn't find the watering can, so I did all of this with my glass from breakfast this morning! You see, I'm a quick thinker, Ms. Alex!
: I...why? It's sitting right out in the open in the tool shed.
: Oh, er, you see... I kinda lost it, earlier, you know on the way to the field.
: ...It's sitting right behind you.
: Wait, really- WHOOA, YOU'RE RIGHT! You've got good eyesight Ms. Alex, like, 200/200 or something, my dude! Hey, hey, can you see how well my tan is coming along?

...I could feel my eye twitching.

: Y-you know what? I'll just take this from here.
: Alright, Ms. Alex! Get those muscles working, but don't let the burn get to ya! I'll get started on dinner, gotta make sure we've got maximum protein!

So I started watering...

And watering...

And watering. By this point my arms felt like they were going to fall off, so I decided to go take a look around town before continuing any more.

Though, before I did, I stumbled on over to the cow pasture and planted those seeds I was still hauling around.

When I did get there, it was already somewhere around 3 PM. Though, I did find two people I had been looking for there...

: ...all the time as kids!
: My gosh, Elza! Long time no see, huh?

Elza's appearance was a lot different compared to what she used to wear. I remembered country dresses and long hair, but she'd turned that all the way round for flashy, low-cut, sailor's clothing, short hair, and bandanas. It looks gaudy to me, but whatever works for her.

: Haha, that's usually the case when one of us runs off to the city for 13 years!
: Hey, it wasn't my choice!
: I know, I know, I'm just teasin' ya.
: I know, but why does it seem like everyone wants to have fun at my expense?
: You make it too easy, girl. You need to stand a bit taller, you know?
: Yeah, but don't you think 5'11" is tall enough?
: Hah, good one! But seriously, we all missed ya. We just can't help it.
: Eh, if you say so.

We talked for a bit longer after that. Apparently, her older sister went off to be a nun while she stayed here to do fishing as a profession, thus why she was wearing what she wanted to now.

Billy was still around as well, as my talk with Mrs. Jewel yesterday suggested, though he spent a lot of time out at sea. Catching him before he left might be a bit difficult.

I needed to get back to the farm eventually, so we said our goodbyes.

: Hey, before I go, I've just gotta say- thanks.
: For what?
: For keeping this from feeling awkward.
: Naw, that's still nothing. We're still friends, right?
: Right.

On my way back, I met up with Kate. We didn't have much time to talk, but it was nice learning a bit more about her.

#Kate: like this in the city? I think not!
: What's with the funny accent?
#Kate: Hehe, just tryin' to sound sophisticated is all. Say, Alex, you've been to the city, right? What's it like?
: There's lots of people, but the nightlife is fun if you're into that kind of stuff. It feels a bit cold without trees and flowers though, that and you have to get used to cars driving by non-stop.
#Kate: That's what I thought it would be like. Yep, I'd much rather be here enjoying the nice country air!
: Same here!

I didn't feel like it would be a great idea to tell people how much time I spent at dance clubs and such. I was honestly kind of a different person then, though I guess most of that was peer pressure.

...Now that I think about it, why in the world did my father think me living in the city was going to be a better influence on me than out here?

After that, I made my way back to the farm. Doing all that talking almost wore me out just as much, but then I remembered that hot spring thing.

Turns out Pete wasn't kidding. I don't know who did, or even if Pete's being more helpful without me noticing, but it was finished. Rough, but more finished than I left it.

I locked the door and jumped in to see how well it would work for my present aches. I've always been skeptical of these things before, but...

My goodness did that feel good. I don't think I left until it started getting dark.

I felt so good, I decided to work on the crop fields some more. I think the first set I planted might be too close to the edge of the farm so I started a new line of plots. Pulling up the weeds were first on the list.

With most of those, it was time to clear up this rock field. I could at least get the big pieces out of the way, even if the ground would stay rocky for a long time.

There's so many rocks out there, and they're frustratingly tough to break. It'd be better if I had a pickaxe probably, but I don't think my father left one of those behind.

And then I needed to clear some more...

And more...

And more...

Then I could get started on it, though it was getting hard to see.

In the process, I found one of those golden berries again. It was enough to keep me working for a little while longer.

Not much longer, mind you. Every part of me felt like lead in a few minutes and I eventually stumbled back home, half asleep. I'd put in more work today that I think I ever have.

...I hoped I wasn't forgetting something.

: How'd it go, Ms. Alex?
: NEED SLEEP
: Hey, now that's the way to end a good day of farmin' you know?
: ZZZZzzzzzzz...

Spring 3rd, Year 1

I've had better days, really.

Oh, and all this happened a few days ago- I haven't gotten around to writing until just now, on the 7th.

We had croissants for breakfast, and I'm really getting tired of writing that word now. Pete makes surprisingly good breakfast pastries though.

I decided to try a different approach towards getting Pete to actually farm today. I was starting to get a bit agitated at feeling I was doing all the work.

: Hey, Pete, can you water the seeds I planted yesterday? I'm really trusting you on this.

: Alright, Ms. Alex, I won't let you down!
: Taking care of Bess is my focus, so it really helps if you can lighten the load on me a bit.
: Oh, my dude, did you put Bess back inside yesterday?
: What? Of course I-
: AAAHH! THAT'S WHAT I FORGOT!

: Bess, I'm sorry, girl! I'm new to this, okay, and I had to work on the fields all night and-

No, there was no use talking this out to a cow. I still apologized to her profusely, but she just shrugged me off when I tried to brush her and she hardly let me get any milk from her.

I suppose that's fair, but it's a huge let down. I checked a reference manual earlier and they said she'd probably be like this for a few days. Apparently cows can get very tempermental if they're used to sleeping indoors.

: Alright, Bess, I left you extra feed here. I'll have you some real grass soon.

When I left the barn, Bird went chasing after something.

: Mew!
: W-what is it, girl?

Whatever it was, I never found out. She ran me to the entrance of the farm and then just gave me a confused look.

: Don't look at me like that! You know it was an honest mistake!
: *Sneeze*
: And what's that supposed to mean?

Conversations with animals aside, I cleaned out the barn before going to see how Pete had done. It was still early in the day, but he should have some work done, surely.

At this point, I really don't know what I expect anymore.

: Hey, Ms. Alex, pretty good job, right?
: ...Can you just go work on lunch again?
: Sure can, my dude!
: Wait, before you go, if you knew Bess was still out, why didn't you put her inside?
: A-ah, w-well, dude, I didn't want to take over your job, Ms. Alex!
: Why didn't you tell me, then?
: I... I, uh, forgot. Sorry, Ms. Alex...

I was trying my best to not get angry with him, but I don't think there was a chance with those sad puppy eyes of his.

: R-right. Please just try to remember next time, okay?
: Alright, Ms. Alex...
: :(

I swear everything was out to depress me today. It didn't help that my earlier mistakes were coming back to bite me now as well.

: I just need to...get by-

: Ack!

: Ugh...Ow, ow, ow...

Trying to even reach the potatoes close to the ledge was practically a safety hazard, and falling seemed inevitable.

I just had to water what I could. I could reach over a few, but I don't think I'd be able to once they grew up.

Great. Just great. At least I didn't tell Pete to get those or else I'd be feeling even worse right now...

With the necessities out of the way, I headed to town for a while.

I've had better days, and I was hoping that reliving some old memories would bring some motivation back.

It was there I met a final familiar face, still with his hair in a curly, wild mass.

: We used to play at the elder's place a lot. A-actually, you probably don't remember me-
: Billy Jewel, right? How could I ever forget you, silly? You, Elza, and I got into so much trouble all the time!
: Ahaha...I-I apologize for all the scoldings you probably got because of me.
: Hey, don't worry about it. Those are still some of my favorite memories, even if it sucked at the time.
: H-haha...y-yeah, I guess... W-well, I gotta go, so...

Billy was always the introverted type, even when he was younger. I'd caught back up with Ezla pretty well, and I thought it'd be nice if we were on the same terms as well. Besides, it looked like something was bothering him as well.

It was only noon, I could still turn this day around, right?

: Hey, hey, wait up a second! Can you wait for about maybe 15 minutes?
: I-I guess. Why...?
: You'll see, just wait!

: This'll cheer us both up. There's no better ice-breaker than old memories. ...Well, provided they're good memories, but still!

Another trip back at a fast pace later...

: Hey! These...these are those little strawberries we used to eat all the time!
: You know it!
: W-where'd you find these? I haven't been able to find them since you left?
: They're still where the Grassland used to be, but maybe a bit more spread out. It took me some time to find them.

A smile broke across his face as he ate it.

: Mm! You were always the best at finding these, Alex. Goodness knows I missed these.
: Must be a talent, I guess. I'll say they're as good as I remember.
: Same here. Say, I really do have to get going, but thanks for stopping by, truly.
: No problem!
: Oh, and, uh, I hope your day goes better for you... We all have off days, y'know.
: H-how did you know?
: ...Must be a talent I guess.

With that, he gave me another smile and headed off along the coastline.

That did make me feel a good bit better.

: You know what? I can agree with that!
: Glad to hear it, missy! Hahaha!

With my spirits lifted, I headed off to do some good today. I set it down in my mind that no matter how tired I am, I'll get the cow pasture tilled up for the next time I have more seeds.

: Where the road runs down by the butternut grove~ ♫

: -To old Bill Skinner's stream~ ♪

: -Do tell at the noonday bell~ ♪

: -It's time for a summertime dream! ♫

: In a lunch pail town in a one horse way~ ♫

: -You can live like a king and queen~ ♪

: -Let's steal away in the noonday sun~ ♪

: -It's time for a summertime dream! ♪

: Hmm hm hm hmm hm hmm~ ♪

And till it I did. I found 3 more of those strange berries alongside quite a couple of pretty rocks and old pieces of things possibly worth some change.

I also sung some old songs I hadn't heard in years. It's been a while since I listened to some folk music like I used to- they don't really have that in dance clubs, unfortunately.

I checked in on Bess on my way to bed and she was still in a bad mood. Looks like I've got to deal with this for a few days.

It was dark by the time I got back to the house, and Bird was already waiting for me. I didn't see too much of her during the day- she was off doing whatever and so was I.

: Meow! Mrroow!
: What, you want to come in tonight? You're probably just going to sneak out again and sleep in that hayloft but whatever. I don't want to wake up with a dead mouse on me, okay?

: Hey, Pete. I'm headed to bed.
: The bed in the back of the room bed, bed on the right bed, the right bed?
: Yup.
: Alrighty! I'll be headed to sleep myself soon, my dude. First I gotta wrestle with my wrestle buddy! YEAH!
: Rowr!

True enough, they play wrestled on the floor for a few minutes. I'm starting to wonder what sort of cat Bird's supposed to be, and how old Pete even is.

I just don't get either of them.

Spring 4th, Year 1

I woke up today to the sound of rain. It wasn't anything heavy, just really constant. I waited around for an hour or two with hope that the rain would clear, but it didn't.

: Hey, hey, Ms. Alex! Where are you going?
: Outside. It's still raining, but I still need to go take care of Bess. I've got some work on the fields I haven't finished yet as well.
: Alrighty, my dude- I'll hold the fort. This house isn't going to clean itself, you know- WHOA, DUDE, THAT'D BE SUPER AWESOME IF IT DID-
: I'll be back.
: Hey, little buddy, could you imagine a self cleaning house? Like, whoaaa, dude.
: Mrooow.

I fed Bess, but she didn't take well to a brush and she started getting really rowdy before I'd really done much milking, so I just let her be for now. Hopefully her attitude would clear up soon.

Truth be told, I was already partially drenched just carrying the supplies over for the day, but it really wasn't that bad. The idea of just doing nothing for the day made me restless and I've mentioned before that I'm as stubborn as Dad was.

I'm possibly even more stubborn than he was. I didn't even stop for breakfast.

I remember thinking:

"I'm not going to let rain stop me. Nothing's going to stop me from reviving Dad's farm!"

"Nothing!"

"-Not even something as small as rain or the cold! I'm fine!"

Music: None

And...I just kept going, I think. I think I remember getting really tired, I... It goes a bit blank from there.

But I swear I heard a voice far away. I don't know who it was, I don't even remember it clearly, but...

: ... You really need to take better care of yourself.
: ... Know when to fold 'em, kid. You can only trip and fall so many times before you...
: ... You're really not as strong as you think. I'm sorry, but that's just how it is.
: B-but-
: No buts. We shouldn't meet again until along time from now...
: I-I...w-wait-!

...They sounded really angry with me. The next thing I remember is:

: Hey, Ms. Alex, everything okay, my dude? Heard ya talking to yourself.
: Ugh...it's like a really bad headache but...
: Phew, good to hear you're doin' alright! You had me worried when you stumbled in here all drenched and stuff.
: I...I what?
: Haha, yeah, my dude, you've been sleeping for about...

It was at this point he looked at the table clock for a second, obtained a confused expression and then replied:

: -For quite a while, Ms. Alex. You've got a reaaaaaal bad fever, but don't worry about it though! I'll get everything for you today!
: ...Even Bess?
: I-I... Er... Oh, right! Almost forgot, Ms. Alex! Open wide for the food train, get it while it's still hot!

I hadn't noticed the bowl of soup until that point. He already had a spoon out in front of my face before I could react.

: W-what?! You're not spoonfeeding me! I can eat on my own, thank you!

I swiped the bowl from him, even though I did feel a bit weak. He had an odd sad expression for a moment, but then immediately popped straight back into his smiling self.

: I knew that, my dude! I'll go get to work, see you in a bit!
: Right on, Birdie, make sure she eats all of it!

Spring 6th, Year 1

The dream and all the stuff after it happened yesterday actually. Well, er, on the 5th. It's the 6th now.

I think I slept most of the day away, which I think slept away most of whatever fever I had, but I still feel awful. I don't really know what happened, but I'd sure like to not feel this way anymore.

It's raining again, by the way. Noticing that made me think about the song, which I suppose means I'm feeling better.

I've spent most of the day writing all this into the diary, because I think I've learned my lesson about working in cold rain.

I took care of Bess as much as she'd allow, but she was extra cranky today. I'm honestly quite sure that Pete didn't go near her at all, but I gave her a lot of fodder on the 4th and today.

It's still really bad though. I'll just have to make sure it never happens again, which means I'll never let myself get sick again!

Oh, I tried calling Mom today, but the rain seems to have caused some problems at the operator's side. They can't get any calls out today.

Oh, I might not have mentioned that! This place still has operators, which is really neat, though I suppose a bit inconvenient. Living on an island has it's downsides.

I'd head to the mainland, but I'm sure Kirk doesn't sail on days like these.

Nothing else for me to do than write in this or watch as Pete attempts to teach Bird to do tricks.

: Now roll over!

She sneezes a lot, but she really doesn't seem to be a normal cat in any sense of the word. Usually she directs it at you if she's annoyed.

I mean, if I was a cat, I figure you'd hiss. But I mean, I don't really mind that much, it's honestly kinda adorable.

Spring 7th, Year 1

I woke up this morning feeling mostly better though something in my chest still hurt. I'm not sure what, but I rightly figured I could power through the day as long as I took it a bit easy on myself.

We had some sort of rice cake thing for breakfast. Pete found it in his recipe book and wanted to try it. He had to improvise on a few details, but it wasn't too bad.

As a note to myself: Make sure to grab some more food supplies in the mainland tomorrow! Most've what we've brought has run out.

: Hey, can you just water whatever in the fields today? I'll be working in the barn for some time, and I'll get the rest later.
: Sure can, Ms. Alex! Glad to see you're feeling better!
: Same here!

I was in a much better mood, even if that pain persisted for a while throughout the day.

Bess was still moody, but the book assured me she'd be over it soon enough. I could work with that, even though getting knocked off my milking stool was no fun. You see, I have to milk her every day since I don't have a calf feeding as well- an udder has to get emptied somehow.

Truth be told, I spent most of the morning working on cleaning the barn.

: I did what you said!
: That you did. I'll take it from here, sometime later today.
: Aye aye, Ms. Alex! I'll go work on lunch, you know, for lunch!

For some fun, I went and collected some more berries. It was a nice walk at least, even if I walked into a few spiderwebs. That's the risk of walking in the woods, though.

After that, I figured I'd keep taking it easy and go to visit the town to talk with folks.

: Eh, somewhat. You?
: I'm not doing too much today. Just resetting my poles and fixing a few nets so I can be ready for more fishing tomorrow.
: Sounds good! Say, you think I could come along some day?
: Haha, if only my little skiff wasn't so little, girl. If you're interested in boats, you'd probably want to ask Billy, he inherited his family's larger boat.
: Alright, well, I'll talk to him about it if I've got the time for it someday.
: Say, speaking of Billy, he told me you found those berries again?
: Oh, right!

: Here you are! Went and got some today.
: Mm! Thanks, girl. I gave up looking for these years ago!
: I guess finding them just comes naturally to me. I'll see you around, I do have some stuff to get back to.
: Same here! See ya!

On my way back to the farm, I made some smalltalk with Billy and Elder Graham.

: Not too hard, at least for today. You?
: Just hanging out, myself.
: See you around sometime?
: Yep!

: Better than all that rain we've been having. How's the flowers going?
http://lpix.org/3618612/Elder.png: Going great! Hahaha!

Back on the farm, I watered what was possible. Thinking about it now, I'd probably need to do some more planning on how I'm going to be planting.

There was another whole section of fields to work on, which I'd have to get to at some point.

On the other hand, the cow pasture was starting to regrow, though I'd definitely need some more seeds.

...Although, the other fields were still in rough shape.

After taking it easy for the rest of the day, I found myself on the cliffside while watching that familiar sunset again.

This was a rough week, but it was only my first here. I could still turn this all around easily, and I don't think I'm going to forget the hard lessons I've already had.

I'll get it right next week, for sure.

Next Update: Behind the Scenes 1

----

Participation for actions is in the next post!

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 19, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Week 2 Participation:

Time for particpation again, as always!

Due to this terrible week, none of our potatoes were ready for sale and we would've been nearly bankrupt if it hadn't been for her habit of finding valuable junk buried in the field. That being said, we have 3530 G for spending.

Yes, all the mistakes were intentional, though I couldn't help myself doing the cow pasture right.

Crop seeds we can buy:

Turnips: 120 G,
Potatoes: 160 G,
Asparagus: 320 G,
Stardust Flower: 400 G,
Grass: 600 G (needed for animals)

If we buy Grass seeds, I'll also need you to say where to plant them. (Horse, Cow, Chicken, or Sheep Field.)
As a reminder, we need 6 bags worth of fully grown grass in a field until they'll let us purchase more animals. Chickens only require 3 bags worth.

We could also buy a Scarecrow for 3200 G, though it would mean we'd have little money left.

We could also buy Cow Medicine for 1000 G, which could be useful in the future.

As for our actions in the future, should Alex (pick any you want to see):
Clear out the lower field?
Focus on clearing out the other animal fields?
Continue giving gifts to her old friends?
Talk more with some new friends?
Go explore the forest?
Go see a movie at the Theater? (1500 G per ticket)
Take a look at part-time jobs/ shipping quotas?
Gather lots of berries to sell to improve income?
Do some archaeology / mining for some more income?

Extra:

Other things we can afford, though probably not very useful:
Flower Vase - 3000 G
Small Rug - 3000 G
Saddle - 1000 G

Chicken Medicine - 800 G
Sheep Medicine - 1500 G
Horse Medicine - 2000 G
Fodder Bag (32 Uses) - 500 G
Shampoo - 800 G
Clippers - 2000 G

Farm Story Book - 2000 G (Lets Pete till in a U shape.)
Farm Story Book 2 - 2000 G (Lets Pete till in a = shape.)

---

Also, the next update in a few days will be touching on mechanics and some of the places I changed from the original game. If you've got any particular questions about the game or my narrative, ask away now and I'll answer them inside that update as well.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 19, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Is there an option to smack Pete over the head with the shovel and bury him in a crop field as fertiliser? I don't care if there's a mechanical reason why he's essentially useless, it would annoy me far too much if I was playing.

I suppose we buy 3 bags of grass for the chicken field as the next logical step, then, and unlock chickens? That leaves us with 1730G plus whatever buried treasure we find while clearing the chicken field, which can hopefully buy a chicken or two and maybe another potato seed bag. Two animal types seems like a decent start, and then we can focus more on expanding crops.

While Alex works on that, I'd like to see some forest exploration and archaeology for a bit of variety and potential money. Shipping quotas seem useful but clearly we're going to need a lot more infrastructure in place before we can start on anything like that.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Black Robe posted:

Is there an option to smack Pete over the head with the shovel and bury him in a crop field as fertiliser? I don't care if there's a mechanical reason why he's essentially useless, it would annoy me far too much if I was playing.

I suppose we buy 3 bags of grass for the chicken field as the next logical step, then, and unlock chickens? That leaves us with 1730G plus whatever buried treasure we find while clearing the chicken field, which can hopefully buy a chicken or two and maybe another potato seed bag. Two animal types seems like a decent start, and then we can focus more on expanding crops.

While Alex works on that, I'd like to see some forest exploration and archaeology for a bit of variety and potential money. Shipping quotas seem useful but clearly we're going to need a lot more infrastructure in place before we can start on anything like that.

Pete's skull would probably break the shovel. I'll admit it's somewhat annoying, and long term all he's really useful for is watering so you eventually get in the mindset that he's just a free few tiles watered per day, basically. We can elect to just leave him in the kitchen and tell him to not bother working. Sara/Alex as a partner is mostly better due to a lower workload, though she still easily forgets to do any of the work you assign.

He'll eventually get better at it.

It's worth noting (and I just ninja edited it in) that we have to have the grass fully grown to buy animals, even if we can support them with fodder bags. We can plant 3 bags of seeds on Monday, but they're rather picky and sometimes inconsistent as to when we can get more animals.

I opted to not put the animal prices on the list because we can't purchase any presently.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 19, 2020

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My default in Harvest Moon/SoS is the blitz to whatever lets me get animals as my primary income. So I suppose the options that go towards that is my vote.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

It's worth noting (and I just ninja edited it in) that we have to have the grass fully grown to buy animals, even if we can support them with fodder bags. We can plant 3 bags of seeds on Monday, but they're rather picky and sometimes inconsistent as to when we can get more animals.

Fair enough, but my votes haven't changed. The quicker we get it started the quicker the game can make its mind up about how fast grass grows, I guess.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah grass for chickens makes sense since chickens are the cheapest animal choice, generally.

I’m also worried about how long that cow is mad. I’m afraid she’ll get sick and we’ll have to drop the 1000 G on medicine. But I guess it’s better to spend to expand and hope for the best.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah grass for chickens makes sense since chickens are the cheapest animal choice, generally.

I’m also worried about how long that cow is mad. I’m afraid she’ll get sick and we’ll have to drop the 1000 G on medicine. But I guess it’s better to spend to expand and hope for the best.

The cow will be mad for about 1-2 more days. Falling out sick and not being able to feed her extended the time period a bit. There's some specifics, but its worth noting that Pete isn't helping in the slightest.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

its worth noting that Pete isn't helping in the slightest.

Nobody is surprised.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Any option to kick Pete in the pants and have him be more useful gets my vote.

Very sad that conking him over the head with the shovel and using him as fertilizer isn't an option.

Gathering stuff from the forest sounds cool, as does archeology.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Why does everyone want to do a violence to my idiot son? :(

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

biosterous posted:

Why does everyone want to do a violence to my idiot son? :(

To be fair, I like Pete Kronkson.

But I am the writer so I might be a bit biased.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Oddly enough, I booted this up to play at the same time as you started (distractions meant I didn't get too far in) and Pete actually cleared out the field pretty well. Granted, I just put him on every space of the field and left him to it for a day or two. He got rid of a fair amount of rubbish. Maybe you should just set him to clearing out the lower field for a few days and see how he does with that?

As for what to do next, I liked the idea of making new friends, getting some grass for chickens and maybe some turnip seeds for 'experimenting with crop designs' since they grow fast. Checking out the forest is a neat idea, too, and maybe doing a little mining as a day off just to explore (maybe another rainy day activity?)

Once again, I like the way you've been writing it up thus far. The introduction of the old friends was neato and showcasing the rainy day and overworking aspects together was, I think, well handled. Soetimes it's easy to forget just how much you end up doing each day when playing the game, but seeing it laid out like this really drives home how much work the early parts of these kinds of games require, let alone actual farm living irl.

>.<)b

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Bonus 1: Behind the Scenes 1

As this is a narrative playthrough, I'm taking a few liberties here and there to match the game to the story I'm trying to tell. This being a GBC game most characters talk rather stilted, and though this game is comprehensible, sometimes the dialogue doesn't head in the way I need/want it to.

Mechanically, I'm expanding on what I can through the narrative. HM's never been the most complex/realistic farm sim, but that's because it's balanced to provide a rewarding experience in minutes rather than hours and days.

All of that being said, I'm going to be showing you what's going on in the actual game and not Alex's Adventure Island. I'll show some story bits up first and I'll get to the hard mechanics in a minute.

Intro:

Meet Cl(ai)re and Flip. They're each off in their own universes, trying to re-establish a farm that's either theirs or not.

Claire was one of the other names for Alex, and I knew a Claire, so I went with that. Flip was the only other name given for Pete, based off of a coin flip.

Their colors were the only others outside of default voted for. Forest Green will see it's use soon enough in the main story.

In the character creation we are told that "Girl will be your partner help you with the farming." We are told basically the same thing for choosing Girl, though we know she's not going to be getting much help from Boy.

Blood type has from what my experience says, no effect on gameplay whatsoever. A short conversation on another forum suggests that having "compatible" blood types with your partner would trigger an event where'd they'd propose to you early.

They also note that the game always makes you have "incompatible" blood types with your partner. My memory editing skills won't take me far enough to patch it into the game, even if this supposed code is there.

Oh and here's a list of blood type descriptions taken from the same place, if you wanted to know.

Blood Types posted:

Type A - Calm and orderly, but serious and stubborn.

Type B - Sensitive and independent, but lazy and unpredictable.

Type O - Athletic and healthy, but obsessive and materialistic.

Type AB - Honest and organized, but conservative and unforgiving.

Japan believes it affects personality types. I, uh, forgot about it entirely for the purposes of writing Alex in favor of the decided personality for her.

In the end, she's hardly an AB and much more an A. Pete is absolutely B, though.

The pet choice had more mechanical implications than I led the thread to believe. Since Bird the Gray Cat will be with us for the game, I felt it would worth noting what the other pets do.

The 3 Dogs: All the dogs act the same by helping to reduce the chance an animal gets grumpy when left out overnight. It's guaranteed to work as long as they have mature grass in the field and its not raining. As result, this wouldn't have helped Alex out with Bess.

The 3 Cats: All the cats bring various seeds to the player. Pink Cats bring Spring seeds, Gray Cats bring Summer seeds, and Brown Cats bring Fall seeds. More on this in a minute, but Bird (the cat) actually matches up with the mechanics.

The Pig: Each morning the pig brings you small amounts of money. I don't think it's enough to offset the potential value of a seed-bringer.

The Bird: The actual bird will bring you seeds associated with any season at random. I believe the chances are much lower, given I usually play with the bird and have rarely ever gotten any seeds.

---

This being said, you're never notified they brought anything. You have to check your inventory every morning to look for changes. It's also worth noting that the only seasons with pet-only seeds are Summer and Fall, so the thread picked wisely.

(I still don't know how Alex ended up with a random bag of asparagus seeds in her inventory. It shouldn't be Bird's fault, right?)

Narrator: Flip has successfuly revived the farm and has lived there trying to find another goal in life. But one day...

Heinz: -as usual? I have something to ask you today. My friend owned a farm on an island, but he recently passed away. Now his daughter decided to work on the farm but she does not know anything about farming...
Heinz: So, I would like you to help her! Can you do it?

They give you a choice. This is equivalent to the choice they give you in More Friends of Mineral Town, namely that if you say NO:

Heinz: - how to revive a farm. Can you please do it?

I would like to note this makes me feel much more awful than the one in MOFMT.

He asks again, saying NO nets you this:

Er, world record, right guys? :smith:

So yeah, it even goes to the credits sequence. It's an actual ending. Flip, you monster.

Let's uh, rewind time a bit and say YES instead, giving a bit of encouragement.

Heinz: She's hot.

Flip: Deal.

Heinz: -please head to the island tomorrow morning.

Heinz: Everyone in the village will take good care of it.

Narrator: This is how Flip's new Harvest Moon Adventure began.

It opens with Flip walking out of the station and looking around a bit before Sara walks up.

Sara: -guy who will help me on the farm? My name is-

See, this is how you know it's not Alex.

Sara: It's too late to start working by the time we get to the island, so let's start tomorrow.

Sara: There is a ferry.

Then they just walk off. It fades and opens to her conversation saying you can tell her to help with animals and bam the game's started.

----

I'll explain the mechanical differences when playing as the male character in a later update. For now, let's go check on Claire to get an idea of how it was for Alex.

The intro scene with Harry is entirely unedited. I thought this little bit of backstory was neat, especially so since they even made that riding on the back animation for it.

From there, it immediately cuts to this:

Hans: -sell the farm?

Claire then immediately barges in runs walks slightly fast on screen and up to Hans. Then this conversation starts.

Hans: -not as easy as you think... You still want to to it for your father...? I can understand how you feel, but...

Hans: He will help Clre...? They might be able to do it together... OK!

Hans: -in Mr. Heinz's village and he will be coming to help you. Pete is a guy, will that be OK?

No, we don't get a choice here. Only the guy is allowed to be a jerk. From there we cut to the same intro as on the Boy's side.

Pete: Hello. Are you the girl Mr. -

Pete: I'm Pete. I think you've heard about me from Mr. Heinz. By the time we get to the island, it'll be too late to start working. So we will start the work tomorrow. Let's head to the island.

Unfortunately, he doesn't give the deadpan "there is a ferry" statement.

From there we also cut immediately to the intro conversation at the farmhouse. He starts off with this:

Pete: Hey, Clre, are you-

Pete: I think it's best if you-

As we all know by this point, that's a very bad idea. He continues on from here to ask about whether you want instructions on how to tell him to do stuff, etc.

----

That gives me a perfect segue into the other part of this update: mechanics, and also why Pete sucks at his job.

Why Pete Sucks At His Job:

You've seen a few screenshots of this. Basically, the game gives you this nifty full-scale view of your fields and lets you select 4x4 areas and tell Pete to work at that location.

He can clear land, till it, water it, harvest grown crops, or sow seeds if you have any. This all sounds great on paper, but in practice he's horribly incompetent at it.

The underlying reason is that he hates your guts.

No, I'm not kidding. Okay, he might not hate you, but he doesn't like you enough to bother doing respectable work and instead does just enough over bare minimum to annoy you into leaving him alone.

Fortunately, I can change that with a little bit of help. Set DA32 to FF and...

: Can you clear some of the field for me?

: For you, I'll clear all of it.

Er, well, he got most of it. Somehow he ended up creating this green square that has collision. That code instantly maxes out, with FF, the internal love values between you and your partner. I didn't make it though, so don't get on me about it.

I'm sure it's also tied internally to each of the separate character event completions. None have actually happened thus far in the narrative, thus why Pete sucks at his job.

I tested out going through the events and seeing his progress after doing so (I told him to till a few spots):

: ...Wow.

: Great, right?

: No.

Regardless, either he doesn't improve very much or my cheating doesn't really help out. I'll look into it some more, but it's needless to say he's not great at his job and won't be for likely a long time.

The thing is, I'm not entirely sure how it works even though I've played pretty far into this game. Once I realized how little help my partner was in the beginning, I just stopped asking. All the guides claim that they get better due to friendship, but I'm almost wondering if they just improve over time regardless.

Whatever the cause, It'll still apply to the narrative for reasons yet to show.

But, since it was raining, I can cover another thing...

-----

Getting Sick:

To demonstrate sickness, I tilled a single 3x3 at 9 AM while in the rain. That's all I did that day. The next day:

The moral of the story is "don't gently caress with rain." I think some of it is involved with at what time you do the work, but there's really not much in terms of specifics here. In the past, I've gotten away with a decent bit of work, but I've been taken down for just tilling a few tiles.

Basically, don't bother with fieldwork if it's raining. Handle your animals and call it quits for the day. Rain is merciless and will put you down if you even try to stand against it in the slightest.

Alex will be a lot smarter about this in the future and will probably opt to not bring the wrath of rain upon herself again.

------

Animals Getting Sick:

Presently in the story, Bess is cranky and people have also expressed interest in how long this will last.

If you leave an animal outside without a dog to protect it, or if they're outside in the rain, or if there's no food out there to eat, or you outright don't feed them at all, it will get sick for 4 days.

You can't collect anything from them or even brush them until this time limit is over. If you fail any of the above conditions, it will restart the timer. Alex would have been fine if she hadn't had a sick day herself, because Pete will absolutely not feed the animals in my experience.

Bess should be happy again in a day or two though. Medicine for cows instantly cures them but also puts you at a total loss of 400 G more than if you just gave them fodder every day, calculating fodder as free and providing that the cows only produce Small Milk (150G).

If your cows produce L Milk, it's a different story since that's worth much more.

-----

Wild Berries & The Grassland:

Every time you visit the Grassland, you can find 4 Wild Berries. They sell for 30 G, I believe and only serve as pocket change or really minor gifts. Everyone likes produce more than wild berries, unfortunately.

The Grassland itself also has infinitely respawning stumps, so getting wood isn't too much of an issue either. (There's also infinite boulders and weeds, but they don't serve a real purpose.)

---

Field Design and Crop Collision

In Harvest Moon games, especially the earlier ones, you can't walk through crops. The same goes for this game, though it's worth mentioning that while the crops were in their first sprout stage, I could reach over them a bit. As they hit their second stage of growth, their colliders were a full 8x8 pixels. It's enough to keep me from using that strip of grass above the ledge as a path around, which is annoying.

Given that seeds throw in a 3x3 centered on you, it means that you'll always have at least one crop get lost in the end, unless you have a level 2 watering can. We can get around this with a special item later on, but for now we need to employ tactical tilling designs to minimize losses.

Alex's farming thus far is far from optimal, and it was done intentionally to show off the mistakes you'd reasonably make in the game without prior experience.

I'll cover more on actually making the best of your crops in this next story update, actually, so look forward to that.

---

Power Berries and the Hot Spring:

Power Berries are a staple in HM games, and are hidden collectibles that improve your character's max stamina, allowing for you to do more work throughout the day.

There's 10 in this game and we've found 6 already, but that's nothing given that the first 6 are randomly found throughout your fields somewhere. The other 4 are a bit different, and more difficult to get a hold of- we won't likely see any of them until much later.

The number you have is denotated by the flowers in this "secret garden" outside your kitchen window.

http://lpix.org/3628218/083-18_01.png

On the other side of stamina restoration is the springs, traditional to Japanese games everywhere.

The hot spring restores stamina, and supposedly only restores it upon jumping in. According to that theory, jumping in and out rapidly is the best way to restore stamina.

It's entirely free and it just requires you to dig out that hole in the shack. The next day, your partner will ask if you noticed the hot springs were completed and sure enough it will be. I didn't make that part up.

There's no explanation given as to how, it just magically pops into existence.

---

Edited Screenshots:

Sometimes I don't have enough to work with, or I need to show someone where they're not. Maybe I need to change a few words in a dialogue picture; it's not much of a secret that I occasionally edit some screenshots to match the narrative.

Some are easy to guess, such as this one from the second update that was supposed to be there but somehow didn't end up changed:

Some maybe not so much:

They're usually small. I made the font of the game into a TTF that mostly works plus or minus a few spacing issues.

It's a bit weak of a topic to make a section for, so have this:

: You forgot a word.
: Did not.
: Did too.

---

Character Names and Songs:

Just as an ending note for this update, a few of the characters names have jokes or references hidden in them. They're not that obvious or special, but it's just a bit of having fun on my part.

If you can guess any of them, I'll let you count a vote twice. One of them should be pretty hard to guess and is worth two double votes.

Four songs have been referenced so far as well, if you can list three of the four songs and their respective artist, you can get another double vote. If you get all five right, you get three double votes.

Yes, it's a scavenger hunt and it's also random trivia. It'll help to keep pushing these updates over to a new page, though. :colbert:

-------------------------

Next time we'll have one of these will probably be at the end of Spring, if I feel it's necessary, or I need more time to write up full-size updates. (Still took me 6 hours to do this, so it's not that efficient.)

Voting wise, it seems like we'll primarily be growing grass for chickens, checking out the forest, and trying out some mining/archaeology. If we've got time, we'll try to make some new friends and invest in potatoes, but also turnips this time around.

Next Update: Acadecultria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I have no votes or guesses, but I appreciate the behind-the-scenes stuff!