Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Zack Ater posted:

Female
Alex
Spring 30
Gray cat
AB blood
Purple

This~
I had a habit as a kid of naming all my female characters Alex. IDK, I thought it was cool, and purple is a great colour and black/grey cat is cutest. I have no care for the rest so I'm fully down for this!

As for personality/past - tomboy estranged from father because he wanted her to be more pretty princess, so she stayed with her mother in the big city trying to follow what he wanted but when he died she decided "Ya know what? I'm gonna take over dad's farm instead!" and is now finding her place in the world following her heart for the first time.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
I've forgotten but if everyone else in town has normal hair, then dyed.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
I've enjoyed both HM and SV. I do prefer RF of the farming sim series out there since it adds a great little gameplay twist and also has great characters who are all just so charming.

I will say SNES and PSX HM were my jam as a kid/teen, so I'm fully down for this.

I'm enjoying the vibe and writing so far, btw! You're doing a great job!

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
I dunno, I was always content to let Anne hammer away in the shed with whatever experiment she was doing. I had the farm handled just fine.

That was a pretty great read tho! I'm enjoying the characterisation you're injecting into the NPCs and going into more detail about farming information (like how to milk a cow) is pretty cool. >.<)b

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Oh, I know (about the milking thing). We used to own a goat (she was super playful and a great milker) so I've had experience with milking them. It just wasn't something I was expecting to be touched on and it added a lot of more interesting aspects to make the writing a lot more engaging and feel deeper (in that Alex is relearning old skills and reminiscing on what she does know about farming). It makes it a lot more approachable to learn/relearn/understand what she's also learning/relearning/understanding and certainly helps with connecting with her struggles.

I do love her interactions with fellow-dye-job-dude. It gives her that little touch of "This is the me that was, and I'm changing now to who I am, but I can still be the me that used to exist in the city with this person" which is always nice to see - a little flashback to her past characterisation.

>.<)b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Oddly enough, I booted this up to play at the same time as you started (distractions meant I didn't get too far in) and Pete actually cleared out the field pretty well. Granted, I just put him on every space of the field and left him to it for a day or two. He got rid of a fair amount of rubbish. Maybe you should just set him to clearing out the lower field for a few days and see how he does with that?

As for what to do next, I liked the idea of making new friends, getting some grass for chickens and maybe some turnip seeds for 'experimenting with crop designs' since they grow fast. Checking out the forest is a neat idea, too, and maybe doing a little mining as a day off just to explore (maybe another rainy day activity?)

Once again, I like the way you've been writing it up thus far. The introduction of the old friends was neato and showcasing the rainy day and overworking aspects together was, I think, well handled. Soetimes it's easy to forget just how much you end up doing each day when playing the game, but seeing it laid out like this really drives home how much work the early parts of these kinds of games require, let alone actual farm living irl.

>.<)b