Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The Flying Twybil posted:

I've seen similar sentiments, and it's always felt odd to me because I'm the opposite. Harvest Moon games are some of my favorites for killing time, but I for the life of me could not get into Stardew Valley.

I don't know why, I just couldn't.

The gameplay is pretty simple for this game, but it does some neat things of its own. It is for the most part, the same sort of gameplay loop used up until the modern era for the main series games.

I loaded Friends of Mineral Town on my snes mini as it is the HM game I best remember and I think the clunkiness of the interface and the QoL deficit between that game and SV are the heavy hitters on why I still like SV better. I remember HM 64 and the HM gamecube game being fun and improving on those points, but there's something "right" about a top-down farming/life sim and SV has sucked in more hours than I would care to admit as it hits all the sweet spots Friends of Mineral Town did while also improving and expanding on most all of what that game did.

If you want to see how deep into a weird gameplay loop you can get, Graveyard Keeper is out there and is a complete time sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Yeah like there's no time stress in Graveyard Keeper, there's not even any calendar at all aside from a repeating week structure where certain things can be done on certain days of the week. There are no seasons or anything.

These are all factors in why it becomes a complete time sink. If you want to talk to a person or buy an item from a specific vendor you have to wait until they are available a lot of the time, so you tell yourself you'll only play for another day/night cycle (you only need to sleep when the character gets tired rather than every night), but then you've got bodies coming, your farm just bloomed up, your wine is almost fermented and you are close to unlocking the next level of gravestones or whatever. So you keep playing. There's never a natural break like in Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley, it just keeps going.

The game is unfinished, you can tell just because of the number of things completely inaccessable/not working. They still managed to port it to everything under the sun and release DLC, so it looks like the developer (the people who made Punch Club), is going to keep supporting it in some form.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The Flying Twybil posted:

It's pretty nice considering that some of the summer seeds take a long while to grow. I just initially figured it would be bring seeds for the present season.

I still can't fathom the mechanical use of a Pink Cat, though. There aren't any pet exclusive spring seeds and it only brings said seeds to you in the summer, which means you've got another 2 month wait before they're useful.

Bird, a gray/summer cat has been bringing non-summer seeds though, so I have to wonder how correct these old guides are.

Maybe the pink cat is like some sort of weird hard mode option? There are a few games I can think of where there isn't anything like a set difficulty level, but you can make choices about things that effectively create varied difficulty levels.