Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/StarbucksSolid1/status/1277701643660910601

This was retweeted to me by @iww, so I assume it's legitimate. Please pass this along to anyone you know who works at Starbucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
the aclu is very against the U part.

https://twitter.com/ACLUKSUnited/status/1278450717972365312

https://twitter.com/ACLUKSUnited/status/1278450721713725441

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

amazon over hires and then makes workers fight everyday at 6:15 for a handful of shifts that get gobbled up in seconds, i think they do this to create animosity and division and it works

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Percelus posted:

amazon over hires and then makes workers fight everyday at 6:15 for a handful of shifts that get gobbled up in seconds, i think they do this to create animosity and division and it works

i didn't know they did that, it sounds like the old days of showing up to the docks and some guy yells out who's working that day

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

update: aclu went back on hiring the union busting law firm woooo

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
someone bumped my other, worse thread about organizing so i'm bumping this one instead.

ORGANIZE YOUR WORKPLACE. someone talk about their workplace so this isn't just me talking to myself

just read mcalevey's memoir and it was an excellent, inspiring story that also shows the weaknesses of unions like the SEIU and NNU, check it out

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i honestly really wish i could help contribute something substantive op, but i'm willing to offer up my blade to bump this thread and get more people like me wanting to learn about this poo poo.

I guess what I could do is highlight this important post to prompt discussion from the old, bad thread

IWW Online Branch posted:

One big question I have is how do you organize with people who are, well, problematic? At my job there's a guy who most of the time seems like your average chud, likes Trump, says all the dumb MAGA horseshit, but out of everyone there he's the one most on board with the idea of a union. He once, totally unprompted, told me that he believes workers ought to own and run businesses themselves. But then he'll crack some lovely joke about Muslims and get super defensive when I call him out on it. My DSA local has been planning a push to organize workplaces in my industry here, and I know he'd be incredibly receptive to the idea, but if I bring him in on this I know he'll go full chud at some point and it'll be a disaster. I do not want to coddle or tolerate someone who holds these views, but at the same time I don't have the luxury of choosing who I work with, and I'll likely need him on board if I want to organize my workplace.

Dongicus has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Sep 15, 2020

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

kingcobweb posted:

someone bumped my other, worse thread about organizing so i'm bumping this one instead.

ORGANIZE YOUR WORKPLACE. someone talk about their workplace so this isn't just me talking to myself

just read mcalevey's memoir and it was an excellent, inspiring story that also shows the weaknesses of unions like the SEIU and NNU, check it out

i need to read no shortcuts, many comrades have recommended it and someone even sent me the dissertation with the same name she wrote which is basically a rough draft so i can read it for free, but alas, so little time and so much other poo poo to read and hell, even to do

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I dunno who needs to hear this, but here's how we unionized:

1. A group of people knew another group of people who unionized at a similar workplace. If you don't know someone else in a unionized workplace, the internet exists.

2. We talked among ourselves, a small group, and met with an organizer from that union

3. We signed cards that night, and starting the following: building a list of contact info for everyone we thought was a potential voter in the election to unionize, who had contacted them, and how they felt

4. When we had contacted most people in the unit (you'll hear this term a lot, it's the people eligible to vote in the unionization election), and had union cards from as many of them as possible, we told our Local. Step 4 is a big one. Lots of meetings, the same conversation over and over again, lots of listening.

5. Our Local called management and gave them a chance to recognize the union. Management was caught entirely by surprise, lawyered up.

6. We had an election. Management ran a thorough anti-union campaign, and some really, really, ugly poo poo happened.

7. We won.

8. We voted for bargaining committee members and alternates from each represented department.

9. We began contract negotiations. That's where we are now. The end is potentially in sight, but it's been a weird year and management is fantastically incompetent and overwhelmed with problems that go beyond us.

democrats, republicans, whatever, everyone loving hates their boss, everyone has problems with their job, with management, etc. they're told to take up their issues with HR. everyone has tried that, and failed. when everyone realizes that, it's time to start talking about unions.

once there's a proper meeting with a good group of people interested in unionizing attended by an organizer from a labor union, poo poo will happen fast.

honest conversations about what can be done with a union (negotiate wages, benefits, working conditions) and not making promises is crucial, and understanding that you, the workers, are the ones that decide what "the union" does, because you ARE the union.

I'd like to participate in the thread more, but with contract negotiations and other things still in the mix, i gotta be careful, as management has a no-bullshit firm working for them, and they've been constantly looking into what members of the bargaining committee are up to online. i'd rather not risk it. one day, because man, this has been a loving hoot.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Percelus posted:

My workplace had a similar sort of problem. The vast majority of people were loving sick of it, and despite there being competition between us for work, we all agreed that we're better off if there was a more predictable way to get work, because then we can actually make plans if we DON'T have work.

It was a major reason for unionizing.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I've been trying for a while now to get any sort of organization in my workplace happening but its been very slow going. I work in tech with a unusually older crowd, so it's a very unfriendly combination of libertarianism and boomer brain. In a weird way, COVID really put the breaks on everything because the whole office is working from home and the thing I was trying to organize around was our boss buying out half of our building and setting up essentially a fully stocked sports bar for "company gatherings" (him and his friends at 2pm every weekday) while delaying our contractually obligated raises for months because he was "switching around the payroll software".
Unfortunately now it's out of sight, out of mind it seems. We eventually did get our raises (7 months late) and that was pretty much it!
Sucks.
Anyway I'm happy this thread exists and I'd like to help unionization efforts elsewhere while I keep grinding along.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I've been trying for a while now to get any sort of organization in my workplace happening but its been very slow going. I work in tech with a unusually older crowd, so it's a very unfriendly combination of libertarianism and boomer brain. In a weird way, COVID really put the breaks on everything because the whole office is working from home and the thing I was trying to organize around was our boss buying out half of our building and setting up essentially a fully stocked sports bar for "company gatherings" (him and his friends at 2pm every weekday) while delaying our contractually obligated raises for months because he was "switching around the payroll software".
Unfortunately now it's out of sight, out of mind it seems. We eventually did get our raises (7 months late) and that was pretty much it!
Sucks.
Anyway I'm happy this thread exists and I'd like to help unionization efforts elsewhere while I keep grinding along.

unfortunately you cant force people to organize. just have to be patient and continue to put your politics forward and work to convince people 1 by 1.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Oh, for sure. It's just frustrating to feel like you've got real energy behind a clear goal and watch it dissipate -- but then again, I suppose I should be used to that by now!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
huge congrats JAY ZERO- definitely understand not being able to go into specifics, but be sure to keep this energy/organization going through the contract negotiations, and afterward. if the company knows that the workers are informed about how the contract negotiations are going and willing to take action to help, that’s really important.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
good example of an escalation when your boss doesn't voluntarily recognize your union: letter signed by 100% of the bargaining unit

also a good sign that more white-collar workers are showing up to a job that was just invented and immediately unionizing it. gives the company less of a chance to establish a non-union "culture". tell yr rich tech bro friends about unions and how they should start one as soon as a company forms a new unit

https://twitter.com/ParcastUnion/status/1305944584460144646

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The NLRB still decides if a vote is necessary, and given the administration, they probably will. It's an easy win, but it gives management more time to gently caress with things (making people "management" etc.). They should be successful though, awesome.

I high fived a Scabby in front of a NYCHA building while running today.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I finally found this thread! Lol

So, my perspective is extremely different than many people here - in fact, when I am reading people describing an entrenched union as being an obstacle to organization my ears were, unfortunately, burning. I live in the UK and until very recently I was a steward in one of the largest public sector unions in the country, at first on release from my NHS role and then for a year full time until leaving to return to school.

I’m going to try and talk from that perspective - I have leftist friends who consider my union or the Labour party as being the two biggest obstacles to actual left wing ideas in our country and I can understand that perspective. My union is an incredibly managerial union - it exists largely to ensure that members have someone in their corner at sickness staging meetings or disciplinaries and to corral our collective power towards our political goals, we routinely support court cases and such that have had very positive impacts. I have never withdrawn my labour as a strike nor have I been asked to. The closest I have come is asking members to chart their overtime and make sure it gets paid back rather than keeping at work until their unrealistic workloads are completed - management didn’t like it as poo poo wasn’t getting done and they finally looked at our workloads. “We are paid for our labor - if you want to give to charity I recommend doctors without borders. You work, you get paid for it.”

But, even with the above negatives, I want to pitch unions like mine as still absolutely being a good avenue for some kinds of organizing, and bigger and entrenched unions at very least mean that management is obligated to pay attention. It’s a poo poo union but you do not have to be a poo poo representative. We have a concept called “localized membership density” - where, at any given location our objective is to ensure there are as many members of our union as possible as leverage when we sit down with management. A big and well resourced union will have extensive opportunities to develop your personal skills via training, conferences or even roles and it’s an incredible springboard to local politics if that is what you choose - one of my former branch secretary is running for some seat as a Labour representative right now and I wish her the best of luck. You will help people - I don’t know if I think myself a good steward, but it is what I was told by my members and my branch secretaries, and I know for sure that I have prevented several people, often disabled or otherwise vulnerable, from losing their jobs. I know for sure that I would have lost my job years ago were it not for my old rep, the person who inspired me to join up myself. (We’re still extremely close friends, people forget the social aspect of unions. She wrote my reference for my successful university application, bless her).

I without hesitation echo - be a good employee and coworker first. Build relationships with people you work with and use those connections to help them when they’re getting grief from management. Here is a line I use a lot - your rep isn’t just the emergency room, we’re your GP too- we catch the little problems and they don’t grow into big ones. Be polite, be attentive and be precise - it’s funny, sometimes going through a 50 page final sickness staging meeting line by line with a highlighter to find the untruths and mistakes is weirdly reminiscent of a forums argument, lol. People skills are critical - people will come to you furious, weeping, antagonistic, frustrated beyond belief and unfortunately sometimes the only support you can give is listening. Network, build relations with Human Resources and whatever managers you work with and of course your union management structure. Always push the empowering angle with your members - you are there to make them powerful, not to use your own power (lol) to solve their problems. Learn to love to read policy, because there’s a lot of it. Learn to understand you will lose sometimes, and learn how to make the best out of those bad situations.

I’d probably do it again, even for how burnt out I am right now. I did my absolute best and everything in my power to help members and still I sometimes wonder if I am advancing my personal political goals further by doing so. But not often.

CoolCab has issued a correction as of 15:48 on Sep 18, 2020

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
bookmarking this thread, it's a good one

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

CoolCab posted:

bookmarking this thread, it's a good one

i enjoyed your post man. inspiring.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Let's all apply for Walmart jobs during the Christmas rush, start a national Walmart workers' union.

sotary
Sep 11, 2001

Agean90 posted:

I'd like to see some stuff on this too. Me and a buddy were all primed to go canvassing with a nice pamphlet that had what few rights tenants had in my state, contact info for a free legal service, invite them to a follow-up meeting where we talk about what a tenants union is and get something started

then covid 19 hit and welp there goes our plans lol. now it's just him posting rights info on social media

If i wanted to start a tenants union right now I'd stand outside a building or on a street with a petition to get names together and a flier with a date for a zoom or park meeting. Wear a mask and gloves, bring hand sanitizer.

Could look at an old ACORN organizing model book for ideas on tenant/community organizing: https://chieforganizer.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/ACORN-Organizing-Model.pdf

Just my two cents.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Does anyone have experience with pushing an existing union farther left? Setting is healthcare, so think SEIU or WSNA.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Lovelyn posted:

Does anyone have experience with pushing an existing union farther left? Setting is healthcare, so think SEIU or WSNA.

i don't know about experience about doing that specifically but generally if you want to influence a union's overall direction you need to engage more deeply. if you haven't already become a representative and put yourself up for roles or training or that come up, like disability coordinator for example, or branch secretary if you've been in the representative role for a while. turn up for meetings. build relationships with more left wing organizations and projects/campaigns and ask to represent your union in doing so - if there's a demo turn up, if there's a stall in town or say a pride event ask to participate. get your face out there - union management for sure notice.

entrenched unions are essentially top down, for as much as they like to claim otherwise. if you want to influence it you need to accumulate power and climb that greasy pole like you would with any organization, start talking in your AGMs and conferences and generally campaign. i can't guarantee this will do it, but i absolutely have observed many left wing people choosing to leave our union (for compelling reasons tbh) and watched how that meant the only people left are centerists and conservatives who would vote against strikes with their dying breath.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Solid advice, thanks. Will be applying to RN Residencies in the coming months and the average caseload in the hospitals near me go up to 5, which is terrifying. I don't think fighting for lower ratios is even on the agenda with everything going on, so I get it. I'll just take my time and try to build as much worker power as I can

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lovelyn posted:

check out these books:

Strike For America, about the CTU and the caucus within that union to push it to left/being more effective. this is short, like 100 pages, so you could read a pdf pretty easily

Raising Expectations and Raising Hell, memoir by McAlevey about being within the SEIU organizing health care workers

I don’t have direct experience but those books should point the way!!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm working in a company and industry at large that is absolutely dying for unionization and I really want to start working on it- been pushing the guys I work with towards it but I can't start causing any real trouble because I don't have my citizenship yet and I don't want them to try and give me the ol Harry Bridges :smith:

It's a dangerous job, desperately underpaid and highly skilled, but there's no barrier to entry and anyone can just set up and start working so wages are kept low because of all the one man bands doing poo poo work for cheap and keeping prices down. One of the highest priorities on any union agenda would have to be some kind of accreditation or something

some plague rats has issued a correction as of 23:51 on Sep 20, 2020

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Lovelyn posted:

Solid advice, thanks. Will be applying to RN Residencies in the coming months and the average caseload in the hospitals near me go up to 5, which is terrifying. I don't think fighting for lower ratios is even on the agenda with everything going on, so I get it. I'll just take my time and try to build as much worker power as I can

congrats on getting through nursing school, hardest thing I’ve ever done. depending on where you’re at nurses unions can range from strong to non existent if you’re in the US. honestly hearing your hospitals only go up to 5 pts on med surg sounds like a dream compared to where I was when I started out, we would have 6 max and there were days in my first year where I had a team of 6 and had to charge. ratios are definitely a huge deal and for a good example of how not to organize take a look at the example out of massachusettes from 2 years ago where they failed to get an amendment passed limiting the nurse patient ratio.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

kingcobweb posted:

check out these books:

Strike For America, about the CTU and the caucus within that union to push it to left/being more effective. this is short, like 100 pages, so you could read a pdf pretty easily

Raising Expectations and Raising Hell, memoir by McAlevey about being within the SEIU organizing health care workers

I don’t have direct experience but those books should point the way!!

Thank you! I'll check them out and start working through them.

apropos to nothing posted:

congrats on getting through nursing school, hardest thing I’ve ever done. depending on where you’re at nurses unions can range from strong to non existent if you’re in the US. honestly hearing your hospitals only go up to 5 pts on med surg sounds like a dream compared to where I was when I started out, we would have 6 max and there were days in my first year where I had a team of 6 and had to charge. ratios are definitely a huge deal and for a good example of how not to organize take a look at the example out of massachusettes from 2 years ago where they failed to get an amendment passed limiting the nurse patient ratio.

Thanks, it was miserable! I definitely am lucky to be capped at 5, although I'm not sure if that's an official cap or not. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have 8 in CA, or no caps at all. It's absolutely terrifying.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
I helped successfully unionize my workplace. We are the first unionized archaeologists in North America.

Archaeology in Ontario is a government mandated service required under the Ontario Heritage Act and is typically part of the environmental assessment phase of development. If you want to build a housing subdivision, wind farm, expand a road, etc... you need archaeology done. The result of this mandate is about two dozen or so archaeology companies in the province who are privately owned and operated but are regulated by the Ministry of Culture, who lays out the rules of how and when archaeological field work is to be carried out. It also requires a close working relationship with local First Nations groups, and it's not unusual to have two or more representatives on site from various indigenous groups who have a vested interest in the cultural heritage that can potentially be impacted by construction.

Archaeology has also a relatively high barrier to entry. Most company job ads require a Bachelor's degree or in pursuit in Archaeology or Anthropology, or a related field. We get a lot of Classics diggers this way. There are some lower field techs that can get hired purely through nepotism who don't have degrees, but they are the rare exception. In order to move up or become a field director, you need a Research license, which requires at least a season of experience working in Ontario. To move up to a project managerial level or higher, you need a Master's degree and then you qualify for a Professional's license, which allows you to undergo projects under the regulation of the Ministry of Culture. This also requires a lot of experience in Ontario digging. So the job can't be outsourced.

Heavy machinery is also strictly forbidden on site, all archaeology sites must be dug by hand, unless you're entering the final phases of the dig in which you rent a mechanized bucket to scrape layers off the surface to look for further signs of habitation. In an urban setting you can also hire a bucket to remove the layers of artificial fill on top of your site but that's not until you've established buried in tact cultural deposits below. You can not use an aggregator to separate artifacts from the soil, as some engineers have tried. It doesn't work and I'm pretty sure is also not allowed. Everything must be done by hand. Which means the job can't be automated.

To reiterate: Government mandated, high barrier to entry, can't be outsourced or automated, which makes it ripe for unionization.

That being said, projects are bid on by the company owners or primary consultant archaeologists, and typically go to the lowest bidders. This results in a race to the bottom in terms of wages and quality of life on site. Average wages were around $18-19/hour with no benefits, pension, boot allowance, physio, dental, etc... Just wages and gently caress off, hoping you get hired back in the spring. Wages went up for a brief period when everyone was getting rich off the wind turbine boom, but they've steadily gone back down to barely being above minimum wage.

That all came to a head when a good friend of mine was monitoring some construction during the winter, freezing his rear end off making like $21/hour when he was talking to a guy pounding in snow fencing. It was a Sunday afternoon and the guy was already on overtime from the week previous in which he was making over $60/hour. My friend asked for a raise, was denied, went to the Ministry of Labour, was denied, looked for other jobs but nobody was paying better than what he was already making. For someone with no degree doing an easy job like snow fencing, this seemed like an absolute bullshit situation (for my friend, props to the guy making $60/hour). The old guy told my friend his union ensured he got paid really decently, and told him to check one out.

So he started talking to former coworkers of his who all work for different companies, myself included. We approached LiUNA! in hopes they'd take us in. After about 6 months of research they concluded archaeology was the perfect fit and they were glad to represent us. Then the campaign started. We successfully rallied 3 companies to a vote after a year and a half, and now two of them have collective bargaining agreements in place. My boss sent me an email this past winter saying they had no major projects coming up and to find work elsewhere (part of me wonders if she was telling me to go gently caress myself).

Cards then started circulating. One way to get someone to talk about a union is to get them to talk about what's wrong with your industry. Walk them through the obvious conclusion, is that if every company collectively raised their wages, then bidding wars would equalize and we'd all get paid better while remaining competitive. Then get them to admit the only way to get to this point is through a union. Once you got them nodding, you should see their face when you pull out a card and say "yes I'm serious are you in or not" and believe me they can't sign fast enough.

Two of my friends got fired from one company, and another company fired one person. My relationship with my boss completely changed because she suspected I was the one who started with her company. One thing they don't tell you about organizing is you will find out who your friends really are. I lost some good friends over this, and I considered my boss a mentor and a friend. Now I doubt she'll ever talk to me again which is a shame because she's a brilliant archaeologist and taught me alot. It was never personal but I don't think she sees it like that.

If you sign a card the union will take your company to court, and they estimate it costs a company about $50,000 in legal fees to fight an unfair labour practice.

The end result: a collective bargaining agreement. I started at one of the companies that unionized this summer and was able to vote in passing a CBA. It came with no raise, and benefits that don't kick in until after 270 days, with a pension not being contributed to until 360 days. I hated this CBA and voted to strike instead but I got outvoted. It's not a great CBA, and not even close to what we were asking for but it's a foot in the door I guess. As we gather more companies on board we become stronger as a profession and hopefully will able to renegotiate a better deal in 3 years. As it stands we estimate the union represents 50% of all archaeologists in the province, and the effect is already felt even at non-unionized companies. People are getting wage increases, full time contracts, benefits, etc... in hopes of not unionizing.

The power of a union is felt across the board, not just with your company.

You can hear my friends talk about their efforts in this podcast: https://www.archaeologypodcastnetwork.com/crmarchpodcast/197?rq=union%20canada

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

6. We had an election. Management ran a thorough anti-union campaign, and some really, really, ugly poo poo happened.

Can you expand on this?

I'd really like my workplace to unionize, for the benefit of the front line team who has been getting shafted. Since our new C-level boss started last July, we've had low morale, constant stress, hostile work environment, etc. Problem is, I'm a supervisor. What can or can't I do?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

LordoftheScheisse posted:

Can you expand on this?

I'd really like my workplace to unionize, for the benefit of the front line team who has been getting shafted. Since our new C-level boss started last July, we've had low morale, constant stress, hostile work environment, etc. Problem is, I'm a supervisor. What can or can't I do?

There are some workplaces where people one rung from the bottom are in the union- for example, in the bernie campaign, field organizers and their direct managers, regional field organizers, were in the union. The only hard and fast rule is that no one can be in the union who has hiring/firing power over anyone else. At the nevada dems, the union person from Campaign Workers Guild I was in contact with, when I asked about people higher up, basically turned it around and asked "well, do y'all want them in the union? Do you see that guy as 'one of us' or as acting on behalf of the higher ups?"

But at a super early stage like you're at, you don't have to worry about the dynamic of wanting to be in the union but your employer saying that you shouldn't be allowed in it (this would happen; employers often argue for fewer people in the union, this was what the democratic party in another state was saying in response to a unionization drive that included regional field directors). You can still lay the basic ground work of organizing: getting people together, hearing each other out, taking first steps.

So what you can do is that: just get people together in a slack/discord/etc where you can all discuss stuff, and then talk about actions you can take collectively, including unionizing.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
This seems like the perfect thread to ask if anyone else is trying to negotiate a contract right now and what to expect.

I helped organize my workplace last year. The vote passed overwhelmingly, but we're up against a huge company with deep pockets. They've been stalling on negotiations from the get go (like only meeting once a month), and the pandemic has only helped them stall more (while they do huge layoffs and make other unpopular workplace changes). Understandably, everyone is getting restless, especially the soft supporters that largely broke yes on the vote and we don't have a lot of reassurances at the moment.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Blind Pineapple posted:

This seems like the perfect thread to ask if anyone else is trying to negotiate a contract right now and what to expect.

I helped organize my workplace last year. The vote passed overwhelmingly, but we're up against a huge company with deep pockets. They've been stalling on negotiations from the get go (like only meeting once a month), and the pandemic has only helped them stall more (while they do huge layoffs and make other unpopular workplace changes). Understandably, everyone is getting restless, especially the soft supporters that largely broke yes on the vote and we don't have a lot of reassurances at the moment.

This is probably something your union needs to escalate- NLRB filings of bad faith negotiating etc etc (which will probably go nowhere because the NLRB has trump's anti-worker appointees). What you can do is go back to those same workers you helped organize in the first place and re-organize them, basically saying "our job isn't over, we need to escalate this." Talk to your union rep about ideas, so they're not out of nowhere, but you can do things like a sign in your workplace with a running tally of days since negotiations start, wearing pro-union stickers, etc. (These "sticker-ups", as McAlevey calls them, need to be a show of force for your union, so make sure you can get 90%+ of your workplace wearing them or it'll be a show of weakness instead.) Contact your city council members, state reps, your House rep, senators, etc (let your union rep know you're doing this of course) and try to pressure the company that way.

Basically: your goal, as a worker, should be to let the company know that workers are absolutely aware of their stalling tactics, and that you're not going to take it, and you're willing to let everyone know about it.

Let us know if there's something we can help amplify on social media to pressure the company.

edit: again, McAlevey books are great sources of inspiration for what you can do in an actual workplace to help a contract negotiation.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
One more thing: unless you're non-US, you probably need to negotiate a first contract within a year of officially unionizing, so that's what the company is trying to hit.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

you don’t HAVE to negotiate the contract within a year; it’s just that after that, a worker in the bargaining unit can file to decertify the union, and there can be a vote on it. my workplace is currently past the year threshold on our first contract negotiation, but we’re not concerned with decertification. employers, or more accurately, their legal counsel, will tell their clients that unions will feel pressure to finish within a year because of that. not always!

anyways, I’ll just say this: WHAT YOU DO OUTSIDE OF NEGOTIATIONS IS WHAT WILL GET YOU THINGS IN NEGOTIATIONS

demonstrations, job actions (slowdown, sickout, working to rule, etc), social media, bad press, the rat, etc.

you’re employer has a lot of money?? loving great, then they can’t pretend they don’t have any. go gently caress em
up

you can hash out some basic things in negotiations, especially things that management counsel knows are part of every union contract. but if you want LARGE changes to economics (money, benefits, etc) or any other proposal that means employer giving up control or money, you’re gonna do the fighting OUTSIDE of those negotiation sessions

JAY ZERO SUM GAME has issued a correction as of 00:50 on Sep 24, 2020

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

kingcobweb posted:

Let us know if there's something we can help amplify on social media to pressure the company
absolutely

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

LordoftheScheisse posted:

Can you expand on this?

I want to give this a thorough response, and I will tomorrow.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

so, let's say i work in a profession with a low barrier to entry, little government regulation, but it can't be outsourced or automated, let's call it food service for the sake of argument and because it's what i'm talking about

how much harder does that make it to unionize

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

once you petition to vote, it’s real loving hard for them to do much other than structured layoffs or promoting people out of the bargaining unit. you have protections at the point you (an individual) sign a union card, but especially after you petition to vote. additionally, your union will have your back if things have to get legal. the employer knows this. (or if they don’t, because they didn’t retain counsel, well lol)

a POTENTIAL tactic is a company, usually smaller, just folding if their employees unionize, and then they will reform with new staff (well, without the unionized staff). if that doesn’t describe your workplace, or if it does and you think that’s very unlikely, go loving get em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

kingcobweb posted:

The only hard and fast rule is that no one can be in the union who has hiring/firing power over anyone else.

I 100% do not have the power to fire, but I do conduct interviews and "make recommendations" to HR for hiring. Am I cool?