Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Operating engineers union is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
wonder how many of the Q anon candidates are going to win

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Finicums Wake posted:

wonder how many of the Q anon candidates are going to win

going to make sense of this post being itt by saying that prop 22 is a qanon thing.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

LordoftheScheisse posted:

My work has successfully met with union representatives and has began organizing. So far we have 7 people that have signed up and paid dues. Supposedly, once we hit double digits, we'll start to see some real poo poo...er change.

what industry?

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

Lovelyn posted:

what industry?

Computer touching.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

LordoftheScheisse posted:

My work has successfully met with union representatives and has began organizing. So far we have 7 people that have signed up and paid dues. Supposedly, once we hit double digits, we'll start to see some real poo poo...er change.

Sweet! Good for you. Were paying dues at the start of organizing required? I worked on a campaign recently (as an outside organizer) where the union we worked with said that dues only began once we won the election, and settled on a contract.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

PONEYBOY has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Nov 15, 2020

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

apropos to nothing posted:

along with that is be a good employee, at least to your coworkers.

just wanted to quote this cos it's some of the best advice I've ever seen and it's made a massive difference to improving the real conditions of my friends and colleagues. if you want to create change you need to be an example, and helping your colleagues out when they're struggling is the best way to show you're an example of what could be possible with a union. if you're such a position take pride in your work, and show your colleagues why they should be proud of themselves too!!

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
glad you’ve had some success, solidarity!

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
How many times a day do you say 'union' and what makes you say it?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/1328359728125149184

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Japan is a special place lmao

https://twitter.com/unionion/status/1328650148566601728

I followed the onion.

Migair
May 4, 2016
Hey, another labor organizer checking in. All the advice given so far is on-point, and congrats to those who've posted with some successes in organizing!

In response to the previous posts about what to do with lackadaisical old unions, you can often energize the lefties around bargaining for the common good. Progressive teachers' unions are good examples of this. They will throw seemingly workplace-untreated things, like affordable housing and community access to mental health supports, into their contracts. You can also organize most colleagues to pressure management about assorted concerns that may not be clear contract or labor law violations, but would make everyone happier. Examples of this are establishing hiring committees, employee choice in training/professional development, newer equipment, redesigning staffing models/job descriptions, etc. Be creative to keep members always engaged in progress.

Another random tidbit I'd suggest is to take advantage of your municipality's open records act/freedom of information act equivalents. You can get all kinds of good info to leverage against a stubborn employer. Oh you don't have the money to pay us? Let's take a look at the company's tax forms. If you are a public sector workplace, you can even dig up emails and individual salaries!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

This is a good thread, and I want to add content in the form of a question.

A couple of years ago I was a union representative for my teacher's union here in Montreal. I approached the position as the representative of the interests of the school's teachers and accepting their points of view and demands as my own. I was not imposing my own political beliefs and desires on the team. As time went on was a bit of a contention for myself and something I privately discussed about with my fellow co-union rep, who pushed for change actively even though the teachers we repped were perfectly satisfied with what they had. What approach do most union reps take?

To clarify, I was a teacher in that school as well, and the co-rep I worked with was kind of abrasive and unpopular as a person. I bring this up because, while his active pushing would probably have helped the teachers more in the long run, which I obviously agreed with, what he was proposing was either received apathetically or vigorously disagreed with by the members at large.

I haven't been a union rep for a couple of years now, but chances are good I'll be tapped to be a representative again.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Was it a thing you could have tried to bring everyone around on? Maybe convince a few key people of the ideas importance and try to get it moving from there?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

time to organize the dick sucking factory into a Union.. Too bad these mother fuckers work for free. Rise and grind, grind for that bag, that bag of dicks, they say. Smdh :whybother:

Migair
May 4, 2016

Olive Branch posted:

To clarify, I was a teacher in that school as well, and the co-rep I worked with was kind of abrasive and unpopular as a person. I bring this up because, while his active pushing would probably have helped the teachers more in the long run, which I obviously agreed with, what he was proposing was either received apathetically or vigorously disagreed with by the members at large.

I work organizing teachers and they are a weird bunch, ranging from always-pissed high school social studies teachers with posters of Marx to super-christian 1st grade teachers who cry at any whiff of conflict. At large schools, I usually try and organize rep teams, with intentionally different personalities and approaches to catch everyone. A fiery veteran teacher paired with an approachable concensus-builder is pretty ideal. The firey rep is great in corrective action situations, and rounding up talented and assertive staff to get more involved in the union at the district level, or when you need a team to take concerns to the boss. The consensus builder is ideal for increasing membership and facilitating building meetings.

When I was a kid I played a ton of RPGs, which totally influences my philosophy as an organizer. You gotta round out your party and make good skill tree choices.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thank you to all the posters in this thread who have provided advice or resources, I read No Shortcuts on the OP's rec and after a month or two of scattered convos and doing my own research on local organizing resources I was able to tip my workplace into taking organization and unionization seriously. Had our first real meeting last night and the support from coworkers has already exceeded my expectations, I don't know where this will wind up but probably wouldn't have happened without the guiding hand of everyone here. Thank you all so much!

The greatest moment during our discussions was finding out that at least 3 other workplaces we're involved with (most of us worked multiple part time jobs before corona and were faced with immediate job loss in March, im in NYC for context) are having these same conversations, it was pretty incredible to hear about. Class consciousness ftw. I can share more details in the future as we progress, and I'll probably have questions of my own here, but I just wanted to bump the thread and encourage more people out there to take the same leap!!

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

In Training posted:

Thank you to all the posters in this thread who have provided advice or resources, I read No Shortcuts on the OP's rec and after a month or two of scattered convos and doing my own research on local organizing resources I was able to tip my workplace into taking organization and unionization seriously. Had our first real meeting last night and the support from coworkers has already exceeded my expectations, I don't know where this will wind up but probably wouldn't have happened without the guiding hand of everyone here. Thank you all so much!

The greatest moment during our discussions was finding out that at least 3 other workplaces we're involved with (most of us worked multiple part time jobs before corona and were faced with immediate job loss in March, im in NYC for context) are having these same conversations, it was pretty incredible to hear about. Class consciousness ftw. I can share more details in the future as we progress, and I'll probably have questions of my own here, but I just wanted to bump the thread and encourage more people out there to take the same leap!!

hell yeah, glad things are going well. no shortcuts is really good, required reading

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
personally feel like this thread should be permanently stickied to the top of the sub forum but i also understand that its filled with valuable information, anecdotes, resources, etc. so can understand if the IKs feel like it's more important to hide it and make sure no one sees it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Having gone through the organization, voting, negotiations, and soon ratification (hopefully) of a contract and then enforcement of that contract, i get why it's so hard to find information online about HOW unionizing a workplace works

1. it's secret, necessarily so. peoples' jobs are on the line, many people are scared, and while there are legal protections along the way, they only have so many remedies, and financial and emotional stresses are placed on workers in the mean time

2. unions are organized, but, they're not. it's my experience that most union locals and larger organizations haven't kept up with the modern media environment: social media especially. the messaging is challenging, controlling that message is seen as a threat by larger leadership sometimes, and the older membership doesn't care. unfortunately dealing with all of those things is absolutely necessary to keep whatever momentum may exist now, going

3. capital IS organized. google any union and the vast majority of hits are right to work, management friendly, "expose the dirty underbelly" websites. workers trying to figure out how they should vote see that information, and of course larger companies create bespoke social media/web campaigns (see Delta airlines, for example)

4. the media is not on your side. they're obsessed with 'both sides' having a voice, if they're concerned with what the workers have to say at all. this extends to popular media: there are precious few characterizations of union and union workers in a positive light. fat, old, white men who yell at women and work on pipes and steel, are lazy, avoid work, and do lovely work when they do work. Nothing is further from the truth, of course: union members are trained, experienced, and value doing a lot of work because we get PAID well. But the perception is powerful, and has been perpetuated for 150 years.

5. the NLRB is been slowly withered away for decades, which each republican administration taking an axe to it, and democratic admins coming in with bandaids. Little things make a big difference in personal conversations with fellow workers.

My example: the fear of "fines" from the union really crept into our campaign; it was pushed by management, but also sort of grew on its own. now, the union we organized with hadn't levied fines against a member in decades, but people want proof. Well, the NLRB changed the way fines are reported on union public disclosure forms (LM-2, 3, 4 forms) several years ago so that 'fines' is no longer its own field, but instead included in 'dues, fees, etc.' So when you look for how much a union has fined members, you see a number that doesn't differentiate from dues, which is going to be a huge number.

---

despite all of this, i've come away very encouraged. a VERY fractured workforce that had long standing distaste between departments came together and got this done. young, enthusiastic and ideologically radical union organizers spoke the right language. experienced negotiators were able to understand the specialized work that happens in my workplace and help us negotiate a strong, protective contract that is going to get workers historic raises and benefits, and a pedestal from which to reach further

this has been the most stressful thing i've done in my professional life. it's also the thing i'm most proud of.

unionize.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Migair posted:

At large schools, I usually try and organize rep teams, with intentionally different personalities and approaches to catch everyone. A fiery veteran teacher paired with an approachable concensus-builder is pretty ideal. The firey rep is great in corrective action situations, and rounding up talented and assertive staff to get more involved in the union at the district level, or when you need a team to take concerns to the boss. The consensus builder is ideal for increasing membership and facilitating building meetings.
When we were able to get something like this dynamic going, the amount of consensus we got skyrocketed. people very often have similar goals and needs, but different fears, and need to be spoken to in different ways. it's okay for someone to hear from someone they don't necessarily jive with, as long as they also hear from someone who DOES speak their language.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

personally feel like this thread should be permanently stickied to the top of the sub forum but i also understand that its filled with valuable information, anecdotes, resources, etc. so can understand if the IKs feel like it's more important to hide it and make sure no one sees it

support this. looks like the other stickies are for resources or talking to mods so a thread about taking action seems like a good fit.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

it used to be stickied, but kinda slowed down

biden also won and fixed everything, so less of a need for unions

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

if it’s not stickied it gives us an excuse to continuously bump the thread. and hell I love posting

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

kingcobweb posted:

if it’s not stickied it gives us an excuse to continuously bump the thread. and hell I love posting

me too man

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

CoolCab posted:

I’d probably do it again, even for how burnt out I am right now. I did my absolute best and everything in my power to help members and still I sometimes wonder if I am advancing my personal political goals further by doing so. But not often.

Hey thanks to you and everyone else for sharing your experiences.

A lot of stuff I recognize from my company in this thread.

A lot of qualities I recognize in myself and my coworkers.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
Ok so I have a salient question. If my company is not US owned can I even do this?

Will the union be able to help us? I believe some of the workers have work visas and a maybe dual citizenship or are not US citizens.

Will this cause any additional hazards for me or them if I try to orgainize?

I am a US citizen, but I'd need the alliance of possible non-citizens to orgainize effectively.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Coatlicue posted:

Ok so I have a salient question. If my company is not US owned can I even do this?

Will the union be able to help us? I believe some of the workers have work visas and a maybe dual citizenship or are not US citizens.

Will this cause any additional hazards for me or them if I try to orgainize?

I am a US citizen, but I'd need the alliance of possible non-citizens to orgainize effectively.

ownership of the company doesn’t matter at all

non-citizens can and should be in unions, the company will try to intimidate them about their immigration status if there’s a union drive which is Very Illegal but happens anyway

think about a place like Vegas, which has a ton of service unions and workers from every country on earth

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,

kingcobweb posted:

ownership of the company doesn’t matter at all

non-citizens can and should be in unions, the company will try to intimidate them about their immigration status if there’s a union drive which is Very Illegal but happens anyway

think about a place like Vegas, which has a ton of service unions and workers from every country on earth

So anything I can do in that case? Warn the non-citizens and document, document, document?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Coatlicue posted:

So anything I can do in that case? Warn the non-citizens and document, document, document?
yes, basically you want to inoculate them against corporate propaganda. “they’ll tell you this will be bad because you’re an immigrant, but actually...” etc etc.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Having gone through the organization, voting, negotiations, and soon ratification (hopefully) of a contract and then enforcement of that contract, i get why it's so hard to find information online about HOW unionizing a workplace works

1. it's secret, necessarily so. peoples' jobs are on the line, many people are scared, and while there are legal protections along the way, they only have so many remedies, and financial and emotional stresses are placed on workers in the mean time

2. unions are organized, but, they're not. it's my experience that most union locals and larger organizations haven't kept up with the modern media environment: social media especially. the messaging is challenging, controlling that message is seen as a threat by larger leadership sometimes, and the older membership doesn't care. unfortunately dealing with all of those things is absolutely necessary to keep whatever momentum may exist now, going

3. capital IS organized. google any union and the vast majority of hits are right to work, management friendly, "expose the dirty underbelly" websites. workers trying to figure out how they should vote see that information, and of course larger companies create bespoke social media/web campaigns (see Delta airlines, for example)

On these three points, there is a reason unions don't have a lot of organizing guides, tips, processes and they don't tell you exactly how you get higher wages and benefits, ie the exact process, because it is a secret for your own protection. Capital has armies of lawyers that pour over anything in print and will use it against you. Same goes for texting, emailing, messaging, etc... Anything in writing can be used against you with about 30% of your coworkers are dead-set against unionizing (and won't think twice about turning you in and getting you fired for organizing), and another 20% will change their minds when it comes time to vote to unionize. I know a girl who blew the whistle on a campaign (which subsequently got two coworkers fired) and ended up with a full time with benefits contract in the company's health and safety department (away from her coworkers who now wanted to tear her a new rear end in a top hat). This also scared the rest of the crew shitless and severely killed our momentum in that company. Thankfully a year and a half later we not only secured a vote with that company, but just ratified a CBA before the end of the year.

So yeah not only will companies threaten you, they will also bribe other employees for turning in their coworkers.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,

The Archaic posted:

So yeah not only will companies threaten you, they will also bribe other employees for turning in their coworkers.

This I think is my biggest obstacle. Up until now I've been operating on the premise that everyone I work with is my friend. That's good in a way because it means I have a strong foundation to work from, and they'll remember I never treated them unkindly.

But I know some of them won't be ready to stand by me. It's going to hurt a lot when I find out who is not actually my friend.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
huge news, Google has a union now: https://inthesetimes.com/article/google-workers-alphabet-union-cwa

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
You guys know any other good news sites for union stuff like in these times? Or twitter accounts or whatever?

It's cool that the alphabet union is going forward as open to all different workers at Google.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Tom Smykowski posted:

You guys know any other good news sites for union stuff like in these times? Or twitter accounts or whatever?

It's cool that the alphabet union is going forward as open to all different workers at Google.

https://labornotes.org/

labor notes, they have a monthly newspaper you can usually pick up for free from like AFLCIO people or other large labor orgs around or just read their website https://labornotes.org/

most socialist organizations have their own newspapers or publications too and they usually have labor news and current events with political analysis so like DSA has democratic left, socialist alternative has paper by same name, etc.

then theres journals like jacobin. most unions also put out their own publications if youre a member of one you can get them but can also sign up to receive them too for a fee. dont know the name of all of them but im a member of NNU so I get their journal which comes out every few months.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
also IKs please take break from probating people for posting "lol" in threads to give us a list of who has voted this thread less than 5 cause at the risk of being banned: lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

this is, of course, good

I just don’t know what they can do, or what dues are supporting, if there’s no collective bargaining, no grievance/arbitration process, etc.

I guess you can strike? but that seems so unlikely at a company that size, so I dunno, and still: what exactly are you striking over without a contract?

I guess what I mean, as I type this: if you have something to strike over, and you do/‘vote’ to, doesn’t that essentially become collective bargaining

just thinking out loud here

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

and if there are defined goals, they’re not doing a great job at sharing them, which they must do if they want to grow

interesting development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art