Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I've been trying for a while now to get any sort of organization in my workplace happening but its been very slow going. I work in tech with a unusually older crowd, so it's a very unfriendly combination of libertarianism and boomer brain. In a weird way, COVID really put the breaks on everything because the whole office is working from home and the thing I was trying to organize around was our boss buying out half of our building and setting up essentially a fully stocked sports bar for "company gatherings" (him and his friends at 2pm every weekday) while delaying our contractually obligated raises for months because he was "switching around the payroll software".
Unfortunately now it's out of sight, out of mind it seems. We eventually did get our raises (7 months late) and that was pretty much it!
Sucks.
Anyway I'm happy this thread exists and I'd like to help unionization efforts elsewhere while I keep grinding along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Oh, for sure. It's just frustrating to feel like you've got real energy behind a clear goal and watch it dissipate -- but then again, I suppose I should be used to that by now!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I feel like we’re more or less conditioned to see these sorts of things (by which I mean it’s not a “full”, for lack of a better term, union) as like a do-nothing fireblock stifling real worker organization because that’s what it would be in a liberal dominated environment like the Democratic Party or similar.
However I have a lot of hope that this will be a powerful first step towards better things by virtue of it being labor-first and labor-lead. I mean we’ll see obviously, but I really do think it’s something to be happy about

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

almost 99% is astounding. hell yes

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/JonahFurman/status/1449032606633299969

lmao

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

If they are able to hold out for the dissolution of the tier system that's going to be a really incredible victory

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Happy for what they won but it's still pretty disappointing to see that the two-tier system is preserved in a lot of ways. Hopefully with this W under their belt they can come back to it sometime in the future.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

beyond parody lol

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

sad post your sigma grindset youtube channel

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

In Training posted:

Also COVID made every job dangerous and inflation means you need to get a raise...lots of material conditions inflecting in a very short time

I think the COVID-era lip service to "essential workers" has caused a lot of people to start thinking differently about who needs who in terms of workers and bosses

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

2. management wasn't on the ball with the anti-union machine.

beyond cases of hilarious incompetence (like starbucks') there's a reason these union busting firms are paid millions and millions of dollars, and it's that their campaigns work and they know how to get away with outright illegal poo poo or drag their feet in stopping it long enough to destroy any unionization efforts. now that amazon's is fully spun up and on the warpath it's going to be a lot more difficult going forward.

incredibly disappointing result for alb1 but not exactly unexpected

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

im saint germain posted:

my workplace organized :twisted:

thats whats up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Konstantin posted:

Their heart is in the right place, but you know the union busters will spin this as "Your UAW dues will be used to attack Israel. Do you really want to support this radical leftist organization? In TN, you have a right to not pay dues."

union busters are gonna try to bust unions????? what the gently caress??????? retweet this now fam