Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i used information from this thread at my job and it owned. it's a small shop mostly staffed by college kids but the owner is the only management there is and they had been spending less time at work and more time on personal projects and withdrawing their physical labor had caused a lot of friction in the workplace.

talking to everyone one-on-one sucked at first, but i just focused on identifying grievances and eventually everyone could name something that was made more difficult by absent ownership. then at the next meeting we all weighed in and convinced the owner that they needed to hire someone who could cover for them/me so we could have some real depth on the roster. it feels like a monkey's paw b/c what we're getting is a general manager but i'm still flying high from hearing everyone weigh in at a staff meeting when usually everyone but me stares at the ground and i have to complain for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
collective action is the greatest high you can ever experience after anything that can actually give you a high, thanks again to everyone contributing

Declan MacManus posted:

so, let's say i work in a profession with a low barrier to entry, little government regulation, but it can't be outsourced or automated, let's call it food service for the sake of argument and because it's what i'm talking about

how much harder does that make it to unionize

bringing this back up b/c i'm curious about this as well. i work in an similar industry, lets call it literally the same thing. simple organizing worked pretty well b/c the owner of my shop really just wants to go back to when it was just them working 70 hour weeks and doing everything by them self. organizing cooks is hard b/c there's a lot of them but a lot of them also work at 'small businesses' so there's only like five cooks at some shops. is cross shop collaboration a thing?

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

apropos to nothing posted:

personally feel like this thread should be permanently stickied to the top of the sub forum but i also understand that its filled with valuable information, anecdotes, resources, etc. so can understand if the IKs feel like it's more important to hide it and make sure no one sees it

support this. looks like the other stickies are for resources or talking to mods so a thread about taking action seems like a good fit.