Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I know heavy truck production is seriously backlogged already. I hope this gives them more leverage.

Has anyone here heard anything yet about a Wisconsin challenge to Act 10, public sector right to organize? I had thought when Protosiewicz was elected, someone would challenge it right away, but so far nothing. I'm in AFSCME and I heard 'we'll be the one to file!' ...and crickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Comedy. I am the newest leadership. Or, board member at large. They're being cagey, but I honestly think that maybe state/national are still working on the plan, which is mildly disappointing.

I got nominated and elected after showing up to meetings for a year, and volunteering to do some membership database work. Nothing earthshaking, honestly just brute force 'if HR are being fuckers and won't provide contact info, well, FINE all that poo poo is on the City's Outlook intranet contacts. Then I emailed 400 people, got (many)out of work emails, and am cross checking in batches to update stuff. I'm a clerk. This is clerking 101.

Sadly the association (as we are technically not a union, just people asserting our right to associate, in a way that scares management) has been coasting. We have had very few gains, with either membership numbers or contracts. The same people doing the same roles for years. Trying to kick some life in it. We have SO MANY Madison private industry unions forming, but in the last 6 months we have added *2* people (and I recruited one of them).

Upside, I like a challenge!

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Raises tied to inflation should be the default.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Wisconsin just had a coalition of various labor groups file suit to challenge the Act 10 ban on (some) public unions. The key argument is unequal treatment for groups under the law, as the original Act exemption included Police, Firefighter, and some other public safety types (Troopers, because they formed Scott Walker's safety detail). The major donors to his campaign, coincidentally. Interestingly they did not exempt all public safety - Dept. of Natural Resources Conservation Officers got their union busted into an association, but their membership has been increasing lately. My last Federation of Labor meeting, one of their members said that their chapter has gone from 6 officers to over 60 in the past few months, as conditions are really bad. lovely times get union cards Employee Association Cards signed.

Hoping the new, more liberal State Supreme Court make up will be favorable.
https://www.wpr.org/act-10-collective-bargaining-ban-lawsuit-supreme-court

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Blind Pineapple posted:

Do union endorsements in national elections matter at all in 2024? I'm a UAW member, and I'd be surprised if less than 40% of my workplace voted republican.

Looking away from national elections, many unions can have big local impact. I'm in AFSCME, and for us, we're electing our bosses, or people who make decisions on if we are to outsource certain types of jobs, or keep them 'in house' to government workers. AFSCME has AFSCME People, which is the separate political wing, so normal dues don't go to it. The last few months we've targeted County elections, as we had of 37 offices coming up, 10 people not rerunning. That let us find members who lived in the districts, and ask them to run. We have members who also volunteer to run campaigns with door knocking, press packets about their achievements, etc.

We also give out a questionnaire to candidates, and if they'd like endorsement, we get them on a zoom call with a coalition of all the different unions in an umbrella union group (South Central Federation of Labor). They get grilled for 15 minutes and we vote on giving them money - normally not a huge amount ($400) but we also then will in targeted elections door knock everyone who is in their district flagged as Union members. (I did A LOT of door knocking for the Wisconsin spring elections last year!). School boards are also really important - teachers unions in our state are at risk due to Act 10's union busting (loving Scott Walker). County board sounds unimportant, until you think of their ability to say that private (donor owned) cleaning companies should clean sports facilities, or how it would be 'more efficient' to just pay snow removal contractors rather than have union Plow drivers who may earn overtime pay doing that, when they're not doing other county work.

I frankly really enjoy doing the politics stuff.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Question - do any of your locals have a basic newsletter (emailed) that is done regularly?
Turns out, we have a requirement in our by-laws to have one, and we haven't. Would love to see what other people do, if anything, for something that would be a monthly (hopefully) but possibly quarterly newsletter.

If you do, would love to see what people have in there - we were hoping to have a basic recap of the minutes, events, negotiation focuses, and calls to see if we can get people more involved by having stuff about how to talk to potential members. There has been enough turn over, and dropping of the ball that frankly no one who worked on any past ones are still active.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Awesome, thanks.
Of COURSE the Communications Workers communicate well :)

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
A wee bit jealous. I can't be super surprised, because AFSCME is a gov'ment workers union, but we don't really have anyone who is high energy and militant. (I am from Minneapolis too, originally, likely know people who know your guy, back from my days at hanging out at Hard Times Cafe).

Plus, under Act 10, honestly a lot of people just believe you can't have a union. We call ourselves a small u, union - but we have handbooks that equate to contracts, meeting and confer' process that's bargaining, and association rights. I am putting SO MUCH hope on a Wisconsin Supreme court reassessment of Act 10's restrictions, but in reality, we just are not great at getting new members, or contacting the ones we have.

I'm bashing my head against a mailing list, and have been for a while, and the final numbers I have today is like... 64% of the membership is on the mailing list. No one has touched it in years. gently caress, I got hired in 2019 and I'm not on there. The guy who has the role who does this is not up for election for another year. I'm just going to keep on doing the job until it's up, but frustrates me that he's not done poo poo, as nice of a person as he is. If his IT skills are not up to it, he could have perhaps reached out to SOMEONE, but when we started trying to use the contact list to get out the vote for the State Supreme Court Race last spring, I realized how terrible it was. No one had checked in to see if he was doing anything.... no ex members removed, no new members added, no news letter for damned sure.

Sigh.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
When is this union president up for election? Without stirring the pot too much, can you look to replacing them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Weird that there is no SEIU logo. I smell a rat.